The "Apple Stunt"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just put mine on airplane mode and all songs still played. Very likely the data issue is due to having downloaded it over your phone provider connection. I don't think you're streaming it. I always download or view videos on wi-fi.

Here's the thing tho: my "cap" before I'm supposed to get any warnings is 2GB. I can't imagine this album being any more than about 100mb, if that...so no way did downloading it trigger the warning. I've downloaded maybe 3 apps otherwise. And regular surfing fb use etc.

Sent from my ass crack

Put it on airplane mode and see if they play. That's a start. ☺️ Otherwise I'd check the detailed usage on your carrier website. I have very little data myself and considering the many times I've played them I'd be doomed by now if they were using my data. Yet I've received no warning.

That's because they're a band for the real world, not the internet

I'm not even sure what this is supposed to mean.

The big reason U2 hasn't had a bigger footprint in social media is because social media has grown many, many times over since U2's last record...there hasn't been anything driving people to look for them on Twitter or Facebook, and it's not as if the band has been particularly active in either of those areas. I'm sure their demographic probably isn't helping things either.

I imagine that will all change with Oseary at the helm, however, which I'm sure is part of the reason (along with things like this Apple deal) they ditched McG.

Somebody probably posted this already, but Miracle doesnt seem to be doing too badly on radio. Not as well as GOYB though it seems.
What Does Radio Think Of U2's New Single? | Billboard

Sent from my GT-I9300 using U2 Interference mobile app

I think part of this is the fact that U2 was coming off of a grammy winning album with a couple "hits" with Bomb, so they greeted Boots off the bat.

Now, coming off No Line... They are gunshy. And radio has changed in the last 5 years. Rock being even less popular. Also, it's a song about even older rock stars than they are! LOL.
So while this is a decent song for the whole Apple event. It's not really the greatest single to bring in the kids. :wink:

Hope it grows on radio as the ad plays and physical release comes out. But, I would love to see EBW actually get a real push on radio.
Could be the cure for all this negativity.

I think part of this is the fact that U2 was coming off of a grammy winning album with a couple "hits" with Bomb, so they greeted Boots off the bat.

Yeah I think your right. Boots was all over bbc radio 1 here when it first came out. It's the last U2 song to ever be on their playlist I'd presume. It was also all over the bbc adverts aswell.

Boots was played a lot here in the uk to be honest. I haven't heard miracle once yet and I haven't seen the advert.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Yeah I think your right. Boots was all over bbc radio 1 here when it first came out. It's the last U2 song to ever be on their playlist I'd presume. It was also all over the bbc adverts aswell.

Boots was played a lot here in the uk to be honest. I haven't heard miracle once yet and I haven't seen the advert.

I even remember the backlash against the BBC for the whole BBC=U2 campaign they did, provably very weary about doing something like that again

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I even remember the backlash against the BBC for the whole BBC=U2 campaign they did, provably very weary about doing something like that again

Yeah even the government were talking about the bbc campaign. U2 were getting free promotion with the tax payers money was the debate if I remember rightly.

Yeah even the government were talking about the bbc campaign. U2 were getting free promotion with the tax payers money was the debate if I remember rightly.

That's the one

From Billboard:

"Six U2 albums are listed on this week's chart, in the wake of an iTunes sale of the band's catalog (which followed the unprecedented free delivery of their new album, Songs of Innocence, to every iTunes account). All of the catalog titles were priced from $5.99 to $7.99. The band's 1987 classic The Joshua Tree is the band's top album. It re-enters at #47."

So, 6 albums on the Billboard 200 and the Joshua Tree re-enters in the top 50. These are not massive sales but the fact is the percentage and volume increase in sales week over week is very impressive and shows that last weeks "event" generated interest in U2.

Now to just keep the positive momentum........

From Billboard:

"Six U2 albums are listed on this week's chart, in the wake of an iTunes sale of the band's catalog (which followed the unprecedented free delivery of their new album, Songs of Innocence, to every iTunes account). All of the catalog titles were priced from $5.99 to $7.99. The band's 1987 classic The Joshua Tree is the band's top album. It re-enters at #47."

So, 6 albums on the Billboard 200 and the Joshua Tree re-enters in the top 50. These are not massive sales but the fact is the percentage and volume increase in sales week over week is very impressive and shows that last weeks "event" generated interest in U2.

Now to just keep the positive momentum........

Thanks Cosmo

Here is the placement!

Joshua Tree - 47
U218 - 52
Achtung Baby - 78
Unforgetable Fire - 142
Rattle & Hum - 172
War - 181

Impressive. Real curious how SOI does upon hard copy release

The Data Behind the Apple-U2 Free Album | Adweek
Bottlenose looked into how each brand fared via social media in the last week, since Apple and U2 appeared on stage together to unveil their new products, the iPhone 6, Apple Watch and Songs of Innocence. The latter, U2's new record, came bundled for free with a purchase of the iPhone 6—but not everyone was pleased with the gesture by the two parties.

The Los Angeles-based analytics company found that social media sentiment for U2 dropped by 41 percent when comparing the week of Sept. 2-8 to Sept. 9-15. Frequent negative topics during the week of Sept. 9, per Bottlenose, included the following language: I’m Mad; Fucking Phone; Technology; Iphone; Google; U2 Apple; Twitter; Whole U2; Icloud; Hands; Ipod; Dear Apple.

Between Sept. 11 and 14, among Apple conversations, one of the top messages shared in social, Bottlenose says, was around the trend "U2 song." Its text read: "This isn’t even funny because yesterday I was listening to my music on my iPhone and all of a sudden U2 song starts playing and I am so confused."

Well, boo freakin' hoo, these haters. :corn:

Thanks Cosmo

Here is the placement!

Joshua Tree - 47
U218 - 52
Achtung Baby - 78
Unforgetable Fire - 142
Rattle & Hum - 172
War - 181

Well, it makes it pretty obvious what the general public thinks of their later releases and what was the band's key period. The five albums from War through Achtung Baby are on that list along with a compilation that includes nine tracks from that era (ten counting "Sweetest Thing"). Rattle & Hum is still the band's third biggest selling album States-side and I guess songs like "Desire" and "Angel of Harlem" have stayed in the public's mind as they were massive hits at the time...surprising given that the band never really does much with that album in concert anymore, even outright ignoring it on a lot of nights on recent tours.

I always figured the initial excitement for Bomb and No Line would deflate and even the fans would call the albums sub-par, but I guess All That You Can't Leave Behind is now kind of lumped in there as well. Most critics in negative articles tend to cite Zooropa as their last hurrah, I guess. If you asked me circa 2002, I would have stated that I expected ATYCLB to stay part of the "great trio" and even be considered the band's best album by some. Oh how the mighty have fallen...

Well, it makes it pretty obvious what the general public thinks of their later releases and what was the band's key period. The five albums from War through Achtung Baby are on that list along with a compilation that includes nine tracks from that era (ten counting "Sweetest Thing"). Rattle & Hum is still the band's third biggest selling album States-side and I guess songs like "Desire" and "Angel of Harlem" have stayed in the public's mind as they were massive hits at the time...surprising given that the band never really does much with that album in concert anymore, even outright ignoring it on a lot of nights on recent tours.

I always figured the initial excitement for Bomb and No Line would deflate and even the fans would call the albums sub-par, but I guess All That You Can't Leave Behind is now kind of lumped in there as well. Most critics in negative articles tend to cite Zooropa as their last hurrah, I guess. If you asked me circa 2002, I would have stated that I expected ATYCLB to stay part of the "great trio" and even be considered the band's best album by some. Oh how the mighty have fallen...

You put way to much reliance on a critics opinion

Just seen the ad for the first time over here in the UK during ITV's coverage of the Europa league, the monster is starting to roll

Just seen the ad for the first time over here in the UK during ITV's coverage of the Europa league, the monster is starting to roll

Shit I missed it :-(

You know...

Pop was reviled by many critics.

TUF was torn apart initially by Rolling Stone.

The first JT reviews said the album was "nice" and may do well (meaning 3M copies sold) but wasn't special.

Sgt. Peppers had critics saying Beatles made a nice technological album, but not much else.

I've said it many times - music critics are perhaps the most useless thing on the planet. Most probably hate the big hits - and that just shows how personal music is. Peer pressure plays a role too, but no one buys or doesn't buy a song/album based on a critic.

Everyone should try to remember that the number of haters are SO few and comparatively irrelevant. 500 Million people had access to this amazing collection of songs.

The haters will disappear up their own asses and U2 will likely end up with several hundred thousand new fans that would not have bothered to listen to them before: your mail carrier, the girl two cubes over, your niece in Toledo...

It looks sketchy now, but over time, as these songs mature, appear live, in acoustic, on TV and radio, and people connect them with the songs they're hearing on their phones, this album is going to have a huge, huge impact.

Slash responded to Gene Simmons’ comments where he said that ‘Rock N Roll is dead’, and how basically kids shouldn’t bother learning those types of instruments because there’s no future in it… Slash was also asked what he thought about U2 releasing their latest album for free and pushing it to everyone’s iTunes accounts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Cz8M8a1u8

I go on Youtube and search for the most recent videos of U2. I do this to listen to covers of U2 songs (guitar covers or live performances are fun) or with the hope that the new clips of the Miracle video will pop up (you never know).

Well, I happened across this video and with regard to the Apple stunt….if you want to know if it is working, go to the 3min 54 sec mark (its also interesting that he thinks Joey Ramone Killed himself listening to U2…lol )

Album Review: U2- Songs Of Innocence - YouTube

I think it makes it pretty obvious that the iTunes crowd already knew about, downloaded, or owned the physical copy of the 'more recent work which was released closer to the dawn of iTunes than the older 'classics'. With the Apple free release and coinciding sale of the back catalog, people were fleshing out their collections with the older stuff they either didn't know as much about, hadn't already downloaded, or didn't own a physical copy of.

That, and along with younger people looking back into history, you probably had a lot of older folk who remembered the classics fondly taking advantage of the sale.

Or, you you can take the negative approach, I suppose. That seems easiest.

Sent from my fingertips.

Back
Top Bottom