The 2007 NHL Playoffs thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's go Ducks. :combust: I suppose I really shouldn't be supporting Anaheim, seeing as how the Scotiabank Place cock-up means I have Row fucking 6 tickets to Roger Waters in two days, instead of Row 23. :lol:

Has anyone found this final round ridiculously boring? I didn't watch game three because games 1 and 2 put me to sleep.

Lose Sens lose! :combust:

EDIT: And I'm supporting Canada :up: JS Giguere :wink:

Last edited:
DaveC said:
you missed the best game of the series.

Oh. Strangely, this doesn't bother me. :lol: I had little interest in this year's Stanley Cup run even before the playoffs began.

DaveC said:
you missed the best game of the series.

I am highly offended by your avatar. You have been put on notice! :angry:

:sexywink:

For what it's worth...Alanis does a better job than most American's with the U.S. National Anthem!

Go Sens!

This is proving to be as exciting as Game 3...but then again how can I not like it when the shots are 9-0 in favour of Ottawa?

I like to flick to NBC but noticed they're seven seconds behind!! Is everything live delayed because of the Janet Jackson fiasco a few years ago?!?

Last edited:
DaveC said:

:yikes:

good thing it's not a Rochester Americans logo...:wink:

i wonder what happened to the fat RCMP guy that always sings the anthems at sens games...i don't think i've ever seen anyone else sing the anthem in Ottawa before tonight, and he's good.

He is good but they like Alanis because the Sens have never lost a game when she sings the anthems...*touch wood*

to Daniel Alfredsson: if you're going to take a slap shot at the other team's captain, make sure it's not someone who can kick your ass with both hands tied behind his back.

what a little bitch. :tsk:

if Pronger got suspended for intent to injure, Alfredsson deserves one for that.

Notice all the talk about improving the game. Sending a survey out to players about the state of the game? WTF? Notice how other sports don't spend so much time talking about how to improve the game.

Professional hockey is the laughing stock of sports. No wonder figure skating and monster truck shows get higher ratings in the U.S. I only watch the playoffs of the NHL after being a devoted hockey fan for 25 years. Maybe it's time to join GG and give the playoffs a rest too.

Alfredsson is now the biggest pussy in sports for that embarrassing play. Kelly Hrudey is wrong.

ladywithspinninghead said:
Was that deliberate by Alfredsson though?

when you've got the entire open ice with only 5 seconds left, at most you softly dump the puck down the ice. you'd kill more time that way and avoid risking an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for shooting the puck away from the referee after the whistle.

there was absolutely no reason to wind up and smash it. and neidermayer clearly braced himself for the impact, so obviously the puck was going straight at him, even if it missed.

there's no question that was intentional.

ETA: shall i repost my previous statement? :wink:

Last edited:
DaveC said:

ETA: shall i repost my previous statement? :wink:

Still wouldn't be relevant because they're playing well. If they play like they did in the second, then yeah, you can.

Saw the replay - yeah, that was deliberate...What a cheeky sod - gotta love Alfie :wink:

trevster2k said:
Notice all the talk about improving the game. Sending a survey out to players about the state of the game? WTF? Notice how other sports don't spend so much time talking about how to improve the game.

Professional hockey is the laughing stock of sports. No wonder figure skating and monster truck shows get higher ratings in the U.S. I only watch the playoffs of the NHL after being a devoted hockey fan for 25 years. Maybe it's time to join GG and give the playoffs a rest too.

Alfredsson is now the biggest pussy in sports for that embarrassing play. Kelly Hrudey is wrong.

I guess it's easier for me not to care about the playoffs. Five years ago I didn't even know what the Stanley Cup was. :lol: That's the fun thing about being an immigrant to Canada - you discover all kinds of cool things for the first time, like hockey, Double Doubles and poutine.

I didn't see Alfredsson taking that shot (I'm barely even watching.) Just glanced up and saw him with his helmet off and looking like a bitch.

Is this game any good so far, guys? Should I bother watching the last few minutes?

Still wouldn't be relevant because they're playing well. If they play like they did in the second, then yeah, you can.

:whistle:

the ottawa senators: losers for 81 years...and counting. :wink:

look on the bright side, ottawa fans - the cup's going to be in canada a lot more this summer now anyways.

na na naaaa naa
na na naaaa naa
hey hey hey
:wave:

Last edited:
Alfie's shot at the end of the 2nd was the rallying point for the Duck's locker room. Way to go Alfie.

Ottawa at home facing a must win game against the Ducks without Pronger and still couldn't find a way to win.

Poor effort by Ottawa. Awesome effort by Jackman replacing Pronger.

trevster2k said:
Professional hockey is the laughing stock of sports because it doesn't have a major network US TV deal, the commissioner is an idiot, and the league couldn't market itself out of a wet paper bag.

Well, 2 of your 3 points are very correct, but, the NHL has 2 National television deals, not to mention a tremendous amount of local coverage on Regional Sports Networks in each US NHL market. The 2 National deals are not the greatest deals in the world, both from an exposure standpoint, and a financial standpoint, but they do exist. The local deals, however, are actually lucrative for most teams, and some franchises even garner strong local ratings.

The NHL's marketing machine, as you say, is horrid.

^that too. But all this let's change the size of the rinks, the size of the equipment, the size of the net, the passing lines, space behind the net, defining the penalties, and so on. What other major sport reevaluates their game every year in an effort to make it more enterataining? Does the NBA, MLB or NFL discuss changing the parameters of the diamond, court or field every other year, nope. Do they discuss changing the size of the net, home plate or field goal posts, nope. It's like watching a game children make up on the fly these days. Why have a U.S tv deal when no one cares though? Many Canadians don't care anymore and it's our sport.

I am curious as to the final tv ratings for this final.

The NHL was hot in the late 90s but then lost it's allure and way. Hockey is an awesome game but the people running the NHL are abyssmal.

I shall reveal my reason for why I didn't think Ottawa could win the Cup. They never faced any adversity before reaching the finals. This didn't get mentioned until as a factor facing the Sens until after game one and look at their listless response in that game. Most Stanley Cup champions encounter a cliche gutcheck moment during their run to the finals. Being down in a series, overcoming a huge deficit in a game, losing a key player, being pushed to a game seven, etc. The Sens never had any tests in reaching the finals. Their opponents played way below their regular season performances which didn't force the Sens to up their intensity....Brodeur lost 3 games alone with uncharacteristicly poor goaltending. The Ducks have been fighting like hell starting with having their backup goalie playing the first series while Giguere dealt with family issues. Being down 2-1 without Pronger against the Wings after a devastating loss in the previous game at home and being horribly outplayed, the Ducks found a way to win game 4 and go on to win the next two games to reach the finals.

These experiences made the Ducks tougher, both mentally and physically, but especially emotionally. Ottawa shows none of the toughness of character so far needed to win a Cup. Look at the Sens response to the hit on McAmmond, they were ready to retaliate despite leading the game and being down 2-0 in the series. What are they thinking, they were fortunate that they didn't lose that game. How did the Ducks respond to Alfie's classless shot on Niedermayer, they came out and won the game in the third.

The "hero" of game 3, Neil was on the ice for all 3 Duck goals tonight. Shame on the NHL, for not reviewing the "shot" by Alfredsson. Definitely intent to injure and unsportsmanlike conduct. If your captain behaves this way, why would the team be inspired to win. Niedermayer's leadership is an intangible factor hugely lacking in the Senator's locker room.

Last edited:
DaveC said:

:whistle:

the ottawa senators: losers for 81 years...and counting. :wink:

The city hasn't had a team that long so it's unfair to characterize it like that.
The Senators; (the team that's been here since the 90s) hockey record is much more impressive than the Leafs.

The thing is I've started to like the Leafs a little teeny bit but my goodness their fans have driven me batty these last couple weeks!
:wink: (kind of)

Oh well, this run was fun- the city was just pure magic from Saturday until tonight. Every city deserves to experience that collective freak-out :up:

*steps gently down from the bandwagon and marches back to her Habs*

Last edited:
trevster2k said:

I am curious as to the final tv ratings for this final.

It's going to be interesting to see, for sure. I'm guessing they're extraordinarily low at this point. The American ratings will be also be something to watch. I almost threw up watching Don Cherry and Brett Hull slapping each other on the back last night during the NBC segment. They went on a rant about how critical fighting is to the game. Even though I agree that fighting is a key component of the game we'll never eliminate, I hated how they were pandering to the audience...almost insinuating that hockey should be framed around fighting. That kind of thinking is so ridiculous, and it's detrimental to the NHL.

Trev, I was thinking last night how Ottawa has the real potential to climb back in. The games have been so close, so it's not out of the question by any means. It would be an amazing thing to see a 3-1 deficit erased. It would be great for ratings, and great for hockey if they could at least push to a game 7. That said, it'll take guts, determination, and a whole lot of character...components severely lacking at the moment. When your coach and very best player are continuously taking the low road with retaliation tactics, it doesn't bode well at all.

angelordevil said:

It's going to be interesting to see, for sure. I'm guessing they're extraordinarily low at this point. The American ratings will be also be something to watch. I almost threw up watching Don Cherry and Brett Hull slapping each other on the back last night during the NBC segment. They went on a rant about how critical fighting is to the game. Even though I agree that fighting is a key component of the game we'll never eliminate, I hated how they were pandering to the audience...almost insinuating that hockey should be framed around fighting. That kind of thinking is so ridiculous, and it's detrimental to the NHL.

Trev, I was thinking last night how Ottawa has the real potential to climb back in. The games have been so close, so it's not out of the question by any means. It would be an amazing thing to see a 3-1 deficit erased. It would be great for ratings, and great for hockey if they could at least push to a game 7. That said, it'll take guts, determination, and a whole lot of character...components severely lacking at the moment. When your coach and very best player are continuously taking the low road with retaliation tactics, it doesn't bode well at all.

Haha, that DonBrett hybrid was sickening to watch. It seemed like a staged event to be a provocative moment and not a hockey analysts spot.

Regarding the Sens comeback, maybe. Anything could happen but at this point, Ottawa has shown nothing to convince me that they are going to be the first team since 1942 to overcome this deficit. Even during the last game, we saw a microcosm version of the determination and desire to win displayed by the Ducks. They were blown out in the first period and had a last minute goal scored on them going into the locker room. No Pronger. What did they do? Work their asses off so Giguere's first period heroics were not in vain. Instead of collapsing in defeat.

A late goal tying up the game in the second period usually has a negative effect on a team and pumps up the opposition. This did not happen, the Ducks came out flying again while the Sens just could produce any sustainable pressure on Anaheim despite facing the possibility of being down 3-1 if they lost. The Sens didn't play the desperate hockey they needed to win that game and I figure they won't even be a factor in the next one. But who knows, that's why they play the games, :wink:

And I think that Neil is a bum on the ice more concerned about hitting his opponents than actually contributing to scoring or defence. He appears to think intimidation is an effective strategy in the NHL, umm, this ain't the local rec league, no one is intimidated by a guy mouthing off at this level.

Well, if the Sends did take it (and I highly doubt it at this point), that would be the ultimate in a team having to face adversity in order to win the Cup!!

As for the ratings, the Globe & Mail posted this article today (I was stunned to learn, from Sunday's article on the ratings, that Game 3 was watched by more Canadians than Game 3 between Carolina and Edmonton but at that point, I think they were down 2-0 as well and perhaps no one expected Edmonton to bounce back):

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070605.wspttvrati5/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home

This one was posted after Game 3 and talks more about Canadian and American ratings:

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070604.wspttvrat4/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home

Last edited:

The Senators; (the team that's been here since the 90s) hockey record is much more impressive than the Leafs.

Um...no.

They got to a final, sure.

But they lost.

Badly.

Nobody cares about the loser.

And the Sens have been the loser every time they played Toronto in the playoffs, when it really matters.

No.

Just...no.

Well, we're looking at it from different angles and trust me, I like the Sens and Leafs equally so I'm not overtly biaised, but yes, having made the finals and the playoffs every year for the last 10 or so years is much more impressive than the Leafs who, like my beloved Habs, have to struggle year upon year just to make the playoffs. Sure the Sens might choke once they make the playoffs but *at least* they make it.

So, um, yeah.

Yeah.

Just...yeah.

:wink:

Anyway, I'll quit in case this devolves into a Sens vs Leafs thread...but I'll take it up with you again in the fall :yes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom