NHL 2005-2006, the year Canadians and all hockey fans try to make up for a lost year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Devastating loss for the Oilers tonight. Third period collapse combined with the loss of Conn Smythe candidate goalie and the horrible winning goal mixup and Cam Ward standing on his head really does not bode well for the rest of the series. :|

On the bright side, the Oiler offense was flying and they sound optimistic despite the outcome of game 1. IF they can win the Cup, it would probably be one of the greatest victories in Stanley Cup history. Apparently, Conklin has said something to the effect of " he froze behind the net" when they scored the winning goal. He froze?!? Game one of the NHL finals and he froze?!? Better bring in Jussi and bench this dude!!

Regarding HNIC, rumour has it CBC could lose the rights in the next round of bidding as the feds don't want to spend money on sports. They have already lost the Olympics. That would suck!

trev, cbc has already made it clear they will do whatever they can to get the rights back after the 2012 olympics. ctv only won it for two olympics...

Holy crap what a rollercoaster of a game. The first successful penalty shot in Stanley Cup playoff history!! I hope Edmonton can bounce back... and what about Roli the Goalie. Will he be back?

RavenBlue said:
... and what about Roli the Goalie. Will he be back?

Unfortunately not. :sad:

From NHL.com:

"Roloson said an MRI taken this morning indicated he has a third-degree sprain of the medial collateral ligament, an injury that will heal "soon", but not soon enough for him to return to the Final series."

trevster2k said:

On the bright side, the Oiler offense was flying and they sound optimistic despite the outcome of game 1. IF they can win the Cup, it would probably be one of the greatest victories in Stanley Cup history.

Oilers in seven. I've seen the future.

Zoomerang96 said:
trev, cbc has already made it clear they will do whatever they can to get the rights back after the 2012 olympics. ctv only won it for two olympics...

Well, I hope you are right but CBC can't outbid CTV/TSN for anything. If money is the determining factor and a private network wants it, CBC will lose especially since the government doesn't want to fund sports anymore. And the rumour is CTV/TSN want the NHL exclusively.

angelordevil said:

Oilers in seven. I've seen the future.

I hope you are right Nostrodomus!!

One bad thing about either back up goalie is the team will have less confidence in leaving them back there while playing aggressive. They may start playing more defensively to protect their goalie which would be the worst thing this team could do. Well, we'll see tomorrow night.

I GOTTA BELIEVE!!!

even though I have great doubts they can win it all.:reject:

Last edited:
Ok, break out the brooms. Without Roloson, the Oilers have no chance. Plus I think the finals are going to be a stinker from here on in so it won't even be an entertaining series.

Oh, they are still my team, always have been and always will be, but sometimes you gotta be realistic. Hell, I turned the game off after the 3rd period, I saw them self-destructing. Their backup goalies cannot win games for them, Roloson stole a few for the Oilers during the playoffs this year. He's a hard guy to replace. Plus Cam Ward is playing the best hockey of his life. Tough break for Edmonton.

I'm also a Blue Jays fan too and they are flirting with success this season too after a long period of futility. So I possibly have more heartbreak ahead of me this year. :wink:

Well crap.

They had such energy in the first. But when they're facing a tough goalie.. there's nothing that they can do. They have to keep putting it on the net and hope something goes in.

trevster2k said:
Plus Cam Ward is playing the best hockey of his life. Tough break for Edmonton.

:yes: He's been incredible, and made some fantastic saves. It sucks for Edmonton, but you gotta give the guy credit. Ward is playing phenomenally.

I'm so happy I was wrong. I can't believe they scraped out a win. My sliver of hope lives on.

If they can overcome losing Roloson, it would be one of the greatest victories in team sports, IMHO!!

WOW!!

It was great to see Messier and Semenko at the game too. The Oiler legacy is definitely something difficult to live up to.

Last edited:
Great victory! My excessive hand-clapping and yelling at the screen paid off! I thought Edmonton's play was pretty crafty overall, even though they bent severely at times.

Markkanen :up:

I didn't think it was their best game by any stretch but it was good enough. I'll take it.

To my recollection, I have never heard of a backup goaltender having to come in during the Stanley Cup Finals and backstop them to a victory. Good to see everyone supporting Jussi.

trevster2k said:
I didn't think it was their best game by any stretch but it was good enough. I'll take it.

To my recollection, I have never heard of a backup goaltender having to come in during the Stanley Cup Finals and backstop them to a victory. Good to see everyone supporting Jussi.

I think this game gives them a chance to reassert themselves and play better the next game. I noticed how the Oilers' play was much more calculated and strategic compared to the full-on energy they showed in the first two. It reminded me of the Detroit series, when their play was dirty at times, but ultimately effective.

With the backup goalie situation, I actually read a story this morning about another Oiler connection, strangely enough. Andy Moog replaced the injured Grant Fuhr for the final two games of the 1984 Cup run. Another interesting fact Bob Cole mentioned the other night is how Markkanen is the first goalie in 45 years to get his first playoff start in a Stanley Cup final game.

Back to tonight's game, anyone else notice how referee Mick Magoo looks an awful lot like William Shatner? :hmm:

Glad to hear that Edmonton won! I was in the States this weekend, and we tried to find the game on TV but couldn't. Yes, we were drunk at the time, but couldn't seem to find it. :lol: Ah well.

Go Oilers!!

So happy for the oilers. They have been my back-up team all the way. Anything to stop the canes. I am so sick of Brind'Amour, that guy is such a dirty player, and likes to lead his team that way. Everything he does from the beginning dirty face off he has made so signature of himself to his pathetic crying after every play that doesnt seem to go his way. this "whatever it takes" attitude that they have made thier own, really just shows they will play as dirty as they want to to get what they want. The Oilers have so much heart, and I hope they push it out, and feed off the crowd as they did the other night.

Oh well. Most people I spoke to after Roloson was injured debated over whether the sweep would occur more than if they could still win the Cup. There is still an extremely remote possibility of victory but highly unlikely.:(

AOD, that's interesting how Moog replaced Fuhr. I don't think it's an equal comparison though considering the impact of Rolly during these playoffs versus Fuhr's netminding that year (although Fuhr was one of my favourite goalies of all-time with his clutch saves). The Oilers had plenty of stars to overcome the loss of their goalie back then who wasn't the Conn Smythe candidate for the team. Unfortunately, this year's Oilers didn't have that luxury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom