Still working on the album...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I think this thread will turn into...

1158287_o.gif

...by the new year.

Also, he skirted the question when she asked if the chemistry/recording was magical. "Well, we'll have to see." Maybe 6 songs that might or might not be magical doesn't sound all that exciting.

Yup. If Bono wasn't excited, then who in the band is?

Oh well. Just finished listening. Time to get on with the rest of my day.

wow, it's different to last time, when they claimed they had like 50 songs, and now just 6... you reckon they're just downplaying everything?

although i would prefer 6 real songs to 50 pretend ones ;)

interference has to be the most reactionary place on the internet.

if you expected any major details, you were fooling yourself.

if you somehow think this throwaway interview translates to no album in 2013, then i really don't know what to tell you.

still seems like they're right on par for a fall 2013 release.

:up:

I expect the album (at earliest) to come out in late 2013, so i definitely wasn't thinking we were going to get anything in depth at this point (song titles, album name, vague release date).
To be honest i don't think they will have done more than kind of dabble in the studio so far - i think at this point they're probably still in the very early stages of song writing, so lack of info doesn't worry me right now. If anything, having (possibly) 6 songs is quite promising.

I expect the real work/progress to begin in the new year, and that we'll probably start getting some more detailed information about the direction of the album, and names etc around spring.

Having said that, Bono's attitude certainly is different to normal. I mean, he still said stuff like "getting lost", that the band is "mad for it", but no talk of a release 'right around the corner' or that it's the best album they've ever done.

He seems a bit more humble about this next album, like when he said the band is calling it '10 reasons to exist', which definitely carries on from earlier statements (like "why would the world need another u2 album?" and "we'll only bring one out if it's worth making", "it can't be good, it must be great" etc). Bono seems very focused on bringing out an album that's special, not just another u2 album.

But that's all probably a reaction to NLOTH not doing as well as they'd hoped... they want to bounce back. And whenever u2 have had to bounce back, we've had brilliant albums and reinventions, so this could end very well :up:

I know an old german bombshelter from WW2 not far from where I grew up. When the album is out I will put my stereo inside this bombshelter, put the cd on and press play. Then I will leave the bombshelter, close the really thick Iron door and see if I can hear a damn thing.

Or I will just send an email to the Mythbusters with the question "Can you really listen to new U2 songs through very thick walls."

I know an old german bombshelter from WW2 not far from where I grew up. When the album is out I will put my stereo inside this bombshelter, put the cd on and press play. Then I will leave the bombshelter, close the really thick Iron door and see if I can hear a damn thing.

Or I will just send an email to the Mythbusters with the question "Can you really listen to new U2 songs through very thick walls."

Bono always comes up with new gems to make fun of every album. I think it should be added to the bingo card.

Bonobingo.jpg

Maybe somebody should find out where they are recording and record this sound that can't be contained.

I'm pretty sure Bono is simply not allowed to talk about the new album. He said he was gagged some months ago and I'd rather have him talking about growing up with Guggi in Dublin than him running his mouth and being the usual hyperbole. I don't want to draw any conclusions from this interview, it was just him and some local mates having a good time around Christmas.

He, it should most certainly be added to the Bingo card! And yes someone should be outside those walls recording - I mean, a sound that goes through rock and cement could consist of pure divine spirit and power. The album most likely will be named "The Walls of Jericho" unless some Heavy Metal band from the early eighties already named an album by that title!:lol:

Am I missing something or is there only one part of the interview available on her website? I love how he talks about the band and how close they are.

I can't remember the exact occasion but fans ( I think Spanish dudes from U2Valencia who are usually very well informed) met him in Dublin in fall and he said the band and Paul didn't allow him to talk about the new album.

Now we know Bono and it might have been a joke but who knows ...

But yes, I would also like to here more concrete stuff. The friendship stuff is nice and I understand that it was an informal kind of interview among old friends, but album news would be really really nice for the end of this year.

He, it should most certainly be added to the Bingo card! And yes someone should be outside those walls recording - I mean, a sound that goes through rock and cement could consist of pure divine spirit and power. The album most likely will be named "The Walls of Jericho" unless some Heavy Metal band from the early eighties already named an album by that title!:lol:

Walls of Jericho sounds good!

I can't remember the exact occasion but fans ( I think Spanish dudes from U2Valencia who are usually very well informed) met him in Dublin in fall and he said the band and Paul didn't allow him to talk about the new album.

Now we know Bono and it might have been a joke but who knows ...

Thanks, that is interesting... it certainly would explain why he's not rambling about the edge being on fire...

But yeah, come spring/early summer, i expect a lot more news!

He seemed a little nonchalant, but no point trying to read too much (if anything) into that. If by June things are still as quiet as they are now, THEN it'll probably be safe to assume they are stuck like a pig in a tarpit. I'm not gonna speculate anymore til then.

I would wager a 20 that the interview will consist of the following:

Mostly talk about Africa and politics
How sessions for the next album are going brilliantly
No concrete information of ANY kind about the album

After hearing this interview people will get the impression that the album is not anywhere near finished due to a few vague comments about "seeing where the music takes us". As for that remark about the album title, it will be something said by Bono in jest.

Sorry to be pessimistic but hey, we've all seen this before, yes? However, i actually hope I'm wrong.

So I was partly right, doesn't sound like there was much (if any) Africa or politics talk, which is good... What I don't get is, what was the deal with the whole album title thing? That's just straight out lying on her behalf.
I'm thinking we won't hear any concrete news until the middle of this year coming... Time for a lot of people to move onto other bands for the time being I think, until there's news.

i wouldn't say she promised it, but yeah, obviously a gossip girl is going to be all about self promotion. she's not dumb.

Wanna know the name of the next U2 album ? is strong enough for anyone to expect such information in the interview. Unless it was somehow edited out.

I was thinking it sounds like stripped down U2, less studio trickery and more guitars/bass/drums.

I'm also hoping it means Edge is getting inspired again, after the last two or three records.

Yeah, could be. Either way, it sounds like music that's meant to be played loud and rocked out to, i.e. more mysterious ways/beautiful day/vertigo, rather than white as snow, cedars of lebanon, moment of surrender etc.

I'm obviously reading way too much into it, but it sounds like the tunes are as a whole more rock n' roll than the solemn hymn-type songs of NLOTH.

Definitely agree regarding the Edge - i felt that in NLOTH (the album) in particular, he took a backseat to everything else. Would be great to see more songs defined by his guitar riffs, hopefully with some new crazy sounds. I want to hear a spiritual/stylistic successor to mysterious ways and mofo.

re. NLOTH it still baffles me that they had Eno and Lanois as co-writers, i mean, really, why?! old man music it was!

Seriously, the way I understood it (IF Bono can even be understood anyway) the album title isn't "10 reasons to exist" (which would be beyond stupid) and also he wasn't talking about 10 songs on the album. It was more like the usual Bonoism for telling us U2 are trying to find a reason to exist as a band today and still make music together. I don't really feel he wanted to talk about the album during this interview, it was more light hearted, maybe with a bit of alcohol involved, but all in all more playful than anything else. I wouldn't go as far as interpreting the "10 reasons" as 10 songs or even the album title, not even working title. The Irish Independent must really have a slow news day, but then again, they even reported that Bono had a cold on Boxing Day :doh:

re. NLOTH it still baffles me that they had Eno and Lanois as co-writers, i mean, really, why?! old man music it was!

Yes, because U2 should make music for 15 year olds that are used to hearing the crap that's played on the radio today.

Glad to say that "old man music" U2 are making appeals to me more than today's charts. NLOTH is still one of my favourite albums, I listen to it a lot. Guess I'm getting old.

Yes, because U2 should make music for 15 year olds that are used to hearing the crap that's played on the radio today.

Glad to say that "old man music" U2 are making appeals to me more than today's charts. NLOTH is still one of my favourite albums, I listen to it a lot. Guess I'm getting old.

did you not see the teaser clip U2 . com released back before NLOTH came out with them all singing hymn-like songs in harmony? BORING!

Eno and Lanois were "old" when i was a teenager, a long, LONG time ago

maybe they should have released it as a side project rather than as U2

When exactly have they ever done that? If we're talking about regular-sounding songs, I don't think creating music with a guitar and drums and a BPM higher than 3 constitutes "appealing to 15-year-olds." It means creating actual songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom