Springsteen VII ~ Wrecking Ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree, start it early. That's what curfews are for, for the neighbors. Just deal with it. Start your soundcheck earlier, etc. Boohoo if you have to get out of bed earlier, you're well paid for it.

The time on the Fenway ticket is 6:30, so they better start earlier for that too.

Did anyone see the video of Bruce dancing with his daughter Jessica, I think it was in Paris? It was so sweet. I guess she's an alternate on the Olympic equestrian team. There's a beautiful picture of her in Town and Country-I would never read that but I looked at it in the library just to see the photos.

Bruce Springsteen Pokes Fun at London Curfew | Music News | Rolling Stone

During a show in Dublin yesterday, Bruce Springsteen took a few digs at his recent gig in London's Hyde Park, which was shut down by officials after it went past curfew, the BBC reports.

To kick off the show, Springsteen flipped on a large, fake power generator and said, "Before we were so rudely interrupted . . . " before launching into the last minute of "Twist and Shout" – the song he was playing with Paul McCartney when the London gig was shut down.

It was one of many such jabs. Following "Twist and Shout," Springsteen launched into a cover of "I Fought the Law," and later in the show he held up a sign that read, "Only the Boss says when to pull the plug." To cap it all off, toward the end of his set, a man dressed as a London cop came onstage and tried to arrest the rock star.

Coincidentally enough, Springsteen was hit with an estimated 50,000-euro fine back in July 2009 when two of his Dublin shows went past curfew.

"We're not sure when the curfew is tonight," Springsteen joked last night. "Do you really have curfews in Ireland?"

All in all, Springsteen did follow the rules, ending the three-and-a-half hour concert before the 11 p.m. cut-off time.

:applaud:

Haha, well done. There was a huge Power On/Off switch displayed on stage during the show, among other ironic hints at the London incident. Bruce premiered My Hometown in Dublin and dedicated it to U2 (who weren't in town for the gig).

I saw the next night (night 2 in Dublin) and it was a great show. Heard some of my favourites I hadn't heard live before (Adam Raised A Cain, Atlantic City, Because The Night). A very nice setlist too (32 songs, 3 hours and 20 minutes!):

Set List
This Hard Land
No Surrender
Two Hearts
The Ties That Bind
We Take Care of Our Own
Badlands
Something in the Night
Adam Raised a Cain
Wrecking Ball
Death to My Hometown
My City of Ruins
Spirit in the Night
Jackson Cage
She's the One
Jack of All Trades
Atlantic City
Because the Night
Darlington County
Easy Money
Waitin' on a Sunny Day
The Promise
The River
Backstreets
The Rising
Land of Hope and Dreams

Encore
Born in the U.S.A.
Glory Days
Seven Nights to Rock
Dancing in the Dark
Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
Rocky Ground
American Land

At the show he also poked fun a few times at curfew/shutting him down, though apparently less than the night before. I had a great night. :)

That song in general is pretty awesome, acoustic or electric. And so far from what I'd ever expect a 2012 show to open with. Wicked cool.

That's the best stuff I've ever read about him. Of course ABC News had it on last night and had to talk about Bruce being suicidal a long time ago. Not that it's anything to be embarrassed about, but I wonder if Jon Landau had his permission to talk about that.

I've always known about his father but I guess I never understood the extent of it all and the depression he's been through. Makes me love him even more.

deep said:
I wrote a long reply, but my computer dumped it

so here is a short version.

signed contract said end time is 10:15, band played until 10:40 pm. 25 minutes passed signed contract time

VanZant said they would have ended by 11:00. why didn't he put that in contract?

if they shut them down at 10:05, everyone would be upset, and someone would probably lose their job for violating contact and stealing 10 minutes. stealing 25 minutes and wanting to steal 45 minutes is less wrong?

Spingsteen has played many shows in the afternoon. This show could have started at 5:00 and ran for 5 hours, and made history as best show ever with two legends.

Well fuck me if I'm wrong here, but Hard Rock Rising is a multi act festival... not a Springsteen show. So if the organizers don't want somebody to break curfew, well... DON'T HIRE BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN.

It's not like the idea that Springsteen goes long on his shows is some big secret and/or rare occurrence. If you want him but want him to start earlier, don't book as many other acts that day.

And as far as this idea that he should start his shows earlier... no thank you. I don't think he wants the early bird special. I sure as shit know I don't.

Rock shows are best at night. He has made arrangements with stadiums in the past to push the curfew. If stadiums or festivals don't want the curfew broken... again... don't book Bruce Springsteen. Or Pearl Jam. Or Phish. Or any other act that is known for their long concerts. It's not as if Bruce rented out a catering hall here.

If you don't want what the act does, don't book the act.

And I really have very little sympathy for somebody who lives next to a stadium and is concerned with events taking place there. Oh, a stadium gets noisy? Ya don't say.

Next to a park where the city allows the occasional concert but it's normally just a park? Okay... again- know who you're booking.

It's nice how a well-crafted song can soothe. Brilliant Disguise came on as I was driving home from a trying afternoon. It took everything annoying away. :)

I love that song.

Came home to find my copy of The New Yorker in my mailbox and just read the fantastic Springsteen profile. A great read.

Oh, wow!

(Is this new information, or was this date already on the list of the US shows? Was this a one-off date he added, or does this mean more fall dates are coming? :hyper: )

That is awesome, Peef.

Now where is my freaking Denver show. Or Seattle. I'll go wherever.

PhilsFan said:
It's new information. No idea what it is meant to indicate for the future. The show is Thursday, November 1st.

Isn't this pretty much a guarantee there's going to be some horrible shift in plate tectonics where that part of the country falls into oblivion just because peefer was in town, in the state of pennsylvania, when Springsteen came to town? Or he'll decide, for the first time ever, to only play a 90 minute set? Or decide to just play human touch in its entirety?

Peef's setlist:

1. Queen of the Supermarket
2. Queen of the Supermarket
3. Queen of the Supermarket
4. Queen of the Supermarket
5. Queen of the Supermarket
6. Queen of the Supermarket
7. Queen of the Supermarket
8. Queen of the Supermarket
9. Queen of the Supermarket
10. Queen of the Supermarket
11. Queen of the Supermarket
12. Queen of the Supermarket
13. Queen of the Supermarket/Queen of the Supermarket (snippet)
14. Queen of the Supermarket
15. Queen of the Supermarket
16. Queen of the Supermarket
17. Queen of the Supermarket
18. Queen of the Supermarket
19. Queen of the Supermarket

ENCORE

20. Queen of the Supermarket
21. Queen of the Supermarket
22. Queen of the Supermarket
23. Queen of the Supermarket
24. Queen of the Supermarket
25. Queen of the Supermarket

ENCORE 2

26. Queen of the Supermarket
27. Queen of the Supermarket
28. Queen of the Supermarket
29. Queen of the Supermarket x2
30. Magnificent

New U.S. & Canada dates for the Wrecking Ball Tour!

Bruce Springsteen Announces New Dates for Fall North American Tour | Music News | Rolling Stone

10/19 Ottawa, ON – Scotiabank Place
10/21 Hamilton, ON – Copps Coliseum
10/23 Charlottesville, VA – John Paul Jones Arena
10/25 Hartford, CT – XL Center
11/1 State College, PA – Bryce Jordan Center
11/3 Louisville, KY – KFC Yum! Center
11/11 St. Paul, MN – Xcel Energy Center
11/15 Omaha, NE – CenturyLink Arena
11/17 Kansas City, MO – Sprint Center
11/19 Denver, CO – Pepsi Center
11/26 Vancouver, BC – Rogers Arena
11/28 Portland, OR – The Rose Garden
11/30 Oakland, CA – Oracle Arena
12/4 Anaheim, CA – Honda Center
12/6 Glendale, AZ – Jobing.com Arena

Does he do presales? If so, where do I sign up? It's been so long since I could make it to a Springsteen show I forgot how it works. I feel like I got a presale ticket to his solo gig years ago but I know not how.

Hey, I gave a big :yippie: over having a show only a 6hr drive away. I see two options for her at half that distance. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom