Springsteen VII ~ Wrecking Ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He'd better keep up the marathon shows when he comes back to the States. Don't cheat us, Boss!

Also, hurry up with the rest of those dates. I know there has to be a show way up here in the boonies of the PNW. Don't leave us hangin', Boss!

The part in Prove It All Night where it's just Bruce and the bass drum...that's poetry. Fucking great song.

Shiiiitttt, I hadn't given this album a full listen in quite some time. Definitely an official love for this one.

I haven't heard this one yet somehow. And have been on a big-ish Bruce kick lately. The repertoire of his albums I actively love has grown a bit over time, and E Street remains my all-time favorite album.

You should hear it, in that case. It's not his best or anything, but it's fairly high-caliber.

His recent gig at the Stadium of Light in Sunderland was one of the best shows I've ever attended. It's ridiculous how much energy and passion he still has. He and the E Street Band really shook the pillars of heaven, to quote the great 20th century philosopher Jack Burton.

I'm starting to wonder if there not be any more US dates this year beyond what was already announced. :(

Hopefully more next year?

Amazing amazing amazing show yesterday in Vienna. Bruce came on stage at 20.10, the concert ended at 23.50. Getting home was horrendous, but who cares? I love this man.

2012-07-12 Vienna Setlist

We Take Care Of Our Own
Wrecking Ball
Badlands
Death to My Hometown
My City of Ruins
Spirit in the Night
Rendezvous (request)
Loose Ends (request)
Empty Sky (request"
Trapped
(Jimmy Cliff Coverversion)
Jack of All Trades
Because the Night
Darlington County
Working on the Highway
Shackled and Drawn
Waitin' on a Sunny Day
Raise Your Hand
(Eddie Floyd Cover)
Tougher Than the Rest
(Bruce solo on piano - request - he was surprised that so many people requested that song; it was a big hit over here and is on the radio a lot)
Racing in the Street
The Rising
Lonesome Day
Land of Hope and Dreams

We Are Alive
Born in the U.S.A.
Born to Run
Hungry Heart
Glory Days
Seven Nights to Rock
(Moon Mullican Cover)
Dancing in the Dark
Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
Twist and Shout

Amazing amazing amazing show yesterday in Vienna. Bruce came on stage at 20.10, the concert ended at 23.50. Getting home was horrendous, but who cares? I love this man.

My wife and I were at that show as well. We found Bruce's energy and showmanship astonishing. 3 hours and 40 minutes, and it all went by so fast. The Vienna folks were SO into the music. Almost all of the encore tracks were popular with the crowd, of course (Born in the USA followed by Born to Run was phehomenal). I was surprised by how much of a hit Because the Night was with the audience -- so many people stood up and were dancing during that song.

I was so impressed with the fan energy in Vienna -- they are really smart fans who know the lyrics to the songs. I have seen the European fan energy on various DVDs; it is great to experience it in person.

I'm not sure he could pull off 3hrs in Denver. I better pick a sea level city.

prbiker15 said:
Not cool. Every artist that plays an outdoor venue in London has to deal with the ridiculously early curfews there. Should have paid a fine instead of pulling the plug. Ridiculous.
But that must mean that they all know the curfew time. Couldn't they just deal with it and start earlier? Radiohead in Santa Barbara a few years ago had an early start time and started on time so they could finish before the massive fines started. If you know it's there, and you ignore it, then you can't complain when the plug gets pulled.

But that must mean that they all know the curfew time. Couldn't they just deal with it and start earlier? Radiohead in Santa Barbara a few years ago had an early start time and started on time so they could finish before the massive fines started. If you know it's there, and you ignore it, then you can't complain when the plug gets pulled.

very correct, and because you are a 100% loyal 2012 Springsteen fan, I appreciate you saying this.

Start the show an hour early, and print on the tickets,
'Out of courtesy to the residents that live beside the park, this show will end no later than 10 p.m.'

This is 100% on Springsteen and his people. I have planned events and signed contracts.

Agreed. "We break curfews in every country but only English cops need to 'punish us' by not letting us leave until the entire crowd goes," Steven tweeted. "Is there just too much fun in the world? We would have been off by 11 if we'd done one more. On a Saturday night! Who were we disturbing?"

Gee, I don't know, Steven, maybe some elderly person on her deathbed down the street for all we know. I love you, but, come on.

"We break the curfews in every country"

If this is a curfew on an indoor arena, that wants to end at 10:30 so they can pay employees less, that is one thing. A fine could make sense.

Choosing to break those curfews and paying any assessment can be considered a monetary decision.

But a park next to homes is not a real concert venue. SVZ's lack of distinction shows an arrogance. I hope that got a sizable fine.

I'm only shocked that they cut MCCARTNEY. That surprised me. Otherwise, hell, it had to happen eventually. But wasn't this a festival? He didn't have an option about what time he started, did he?

10.30 is extremely early for a curfew. With a set like Springsteen's, it's almost impossible to start early enough to end at 10.30. You'll practically have to start in the afternoon. Starting at 8 is early for a concert these days. Most people aren't even at the venue before 7.30, especially on work days. I think it's a shame they simply cut them off and people are rightfully pissed. It's not like they're playing there every day and people in the area have to put of with it on a regular basis. The whole situation somehow remindes me of the troubles U2 went into when playing Dublin on their last tour. There seems to be a really rigid policy surrounding big events in the UK and Ireland. I can't imagine that happening anywhere else.

I think the curfew for Central Park and Brooklyn's Prospect Park is the same - 10 or 10:30 - and enforced. And that's a city where indoor concerts often don't even start until 10. It's pretty standard for outdoor concerts in residential areas. While it's likely that Springsteen wasn't watching the clock and was just doing his thing, martha is right - the promoter knew and should have reigned him in and let him know not to wait until hour three to bring out McCartney. While I, too, would have been disappointed as I fan, I just think an artist should be more respectful of the local curfews. Rock & roll royalty to you and me might be a hellish, stressful nightmare for someone else who has to endure these concerts in the summer. Residents have complained, that's why they have the curfews and are cutting back on the number of shows. As someone who gets totally stressed out by noise around my house, to the point where it can make me physically sick (that's what stress does), I completely empathize with the residents.

I wrote a long reply, but my computer dumped it

so here is a short version.

signed contract said end time is 10:15, band played until 10:40 pm. 25 minutes passed signed contract time

VanZant said they would have ended by 11:00. why didn't he put that in contract?

if they shut them down at 10:05, everyone would be upset, and someone would probably lose their job for violating contact and stealing 10 minutes. stealing 25 minutes and wanting to steal 45 minutes is less wrong?

Spingsteen has played many shows in the afternoon. This show could have started at 5:00 and ran for 5 hours, and made history as best show ever with two legends.

Back
Top Bottom