SPOILERS U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour Rehearsals/Soundcheck Thread SPOILERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Either of those songs would've gone a lot better than Miss Sarajevo on JT.

Either of those songs would've gone a lot better than Miss Sarajevo on JT.

Gotta disagree. If they want to play a segment about the refugee crisis in Syria, they need to play songs with some weight. Summer of Love and Red Flag Day just don't have that weight. Sure, they are "about" Syria, but one is light and breezy and the other is a fun rocker that sounds almost like a surfer song at parts. There's a disconnect between subject matter and musical style, one that is much more pronounced with RFD. Miss Sarajevo is a better mix of music and subject matter. Even though it was written about the siege of Sarajevo, the lyrics are broad enough that you can apply it to any circumstance where someone is trying to maintain normalcy under hellish circumstances. You can think the song is a bore, but it's a much better match for the subject matter it was addressing.

Last edited:
I agree the video they used wouldn't have fit another song. If Bono had done the Pavarotti vocal like on previous tours it would've felt a little less like an obligatory serious song and more like it was there because they were getting the most out of it musically. A less serious song (at first glance / musically) can fit a similar purpose, just in a more subtle way, and is probably a better option if it's in the encore.

Gotta disagree. If they want to play a segment about the refugee crisis in Syria, they need to play songs with some weight. Summer of Love and Red Flag Day just don't have that weight. Sure, they are "about" Syria, but one is light and breezy and the other is a fun rocker that sounds almost like a surfer song at parts. There's a disconnect between subject matter and musical style, one that is much more pronounced with RFD. Miss Sarajevo is a better mix of music and subject matter. Even though it was written about the siege of Sarajevo, the lyrics are broad enough that you can apply it to any circumstance where someone is trying to maintain normalcy under hellish circumstances. You can think the song is a bore, but it's a much better match for the subject matter it was addressing.

Interesting. I've always thought it's odd that others praise these songs so much and I find them to be two of the weaker spots on the album (though I find the album to be VERY strong). I think you hit the nail on the head. As 3 minute pop songs, they just don't carry the weight of the content.

I would be surprised if it wasn’t tomorrow (today US time).

They don’t have long left now, and there are a few things they seem unsure of. I’d guess two nights of working on transitions etc, a break, a private full rehearsal, a dress rehearsal, and then show time

Judas Priest is playing there tonight, so definitely nothing until tomorrow (Friday) at the earliest.

Ah - sorry, thought that was yesterday. They would definitely be rehearsing in a space without the stage then. The break is too long, and timing is getting too close for them - we all know they need lots of time rehearsing!

Hot take: Acrobat is a bang average song blown out of proportion by this fanbase.

In other news, I’m glad Love is Bigger appears to be the next SOE single. It’s my pick of the bunch on that album.

Hot take: Acrobat is a bang average song blown out of proportion by this fanbase.

In other news, I’m glad Love is Bigger appears to be the next SOE single. It’s my pick of the bunch on that album.

On your hot take....I agree.

On your other news....It’s maybe the most radio friendly song on the album and is in my top 2 or 3 favorites. So, I agree again.

Now that you have my approval, you can go on with your day. :)

i would say acrobat is above average (one of my faves on AB because of the guitar sound) but i definitely agree that the idea of it being played live has been overblown into white-whale proportions by some people. personally i would prefer them to not play it for the first time 25 years after it was released. i wasn't impressed with the live version of RHMT at all when they finally got around to playing it and i fully expect acrobat is going to get a similar treatment.

long gaps between recording and playing a song live for the first time often seem to me like the emotions that get poured into creating the song are lost over time and the songs lose the rawness and energy that made the studio version so good and made people want to hear the song live in the first place.

And in the "no two fans are the same" category...

I found RHMT on JT30 to be neardamnperfection. And I love the original.

And I have loved Acrobat since the album release, consistently had it as a top 5, and was more or less blown away when I came on here regularly before the JT30 tour and learned it was this "white whale"

I just dug the darkness and the lyric that seemed to shatter the arms length Bono usually kept between himself and his words, and still get goose-bumpy at the personal connection to the lyrics "I'd join the movement / if there was one I could believe in / yeah, I'd break bread and wine / if there was a church I could receive in."

Having seen the cycle for this song among hardcores in a compressed timeline, I figure there was some serious attempt at contrarianism that turned to groupthink in the song's ascension, and now a rush in the same vain to declare it was all overblown as its value as a neverplayed plunges before its likely debut.

long gaps between recording and playing a song live for the first time often seem to me like the emotions that get poured into creating the song are lost over time and the songs lose the rawness and energy that made the studio version so good and made people want to hear the song live in the first place.

I guess, in a similar vein, we could have expected a live version of Exit that was lacking. As it hadn't been played on near 20 years (TJT tour staple, but only one show on Lovetown). But it turned out to be the highlight of TJT30.

I guess, in a similar vein, we could have expected a live version of Exit that was lacking. As it hadn't been played on near 20 years (TJT tour staple, but only one show on Lovetown). But it turned out to be the highlight of TJT30.
This is true. It fucking rocked.

i would say acrobat is above average (one of my faves on AB because of the guitar sound) but i definitely agree that the idea of it being played live has been overblown into white-whale proportions by some people. personally i would prefer them to not play it for the first time 25 years after it was released. i wasn't impressed with the live version of RHMT at all when they finally got around to playing it and i fully expect acrobat is going to get a similar treatment.

Some very good points. I do think they’ll deliver an awesome version of Acrobat though, as the song has great energy and lends itself to Bono theatrics as Ultraviolet did on 360.

RHMT is a nice song but the performances on JT30 were about as good as it’s gonna get for the style of song.

that's true and a good point. exit was easily my favourite part of the show, but that being said exit has always been one of my top 3 songs on JT and the song i was looking forward hearing the to the most (also bad, but playing that so damn early in the set sucked so much of the emotional punch out of the song). but yeah they nailed it with exit.

Some very good points. I do think they’ll deliver an awesome version of Acrobat though, as the song has great energy and lends itself to Bono theatrics as Ultraviolet did on 360.

RHMT is a nice song but the performances on JT30 were about as good as it’s gonna get for the style of song.

i found myself bored rather quickly during RHMT. i quite like the original version but the new arrangement sucks and that slowwww crawling video of the brass band stopped being interesting after about 15 seconds. combined with the sense that they were playing the song with very little passion or effort and were doing it because they had to play all of JT (like i said they had plenty of energy and emotion for exit only a few songs later), and it just fell really flat for me. the area of the floor i was in also seemed to have a lot of energy sucked out of it by that song as well so i don't think i'm alone in that opinion. if you enjoyed it that's cool, maybe it was better at other shows, but if i ever go to another U2 show RHMT is one i hope they leave off the setlist. i don't feel any need to hear it again.

Last edited:
that's true and a good point. exit was easily my favourite part of the show, but that being said exit has always been one of my top 3 songs on JT and the song i was looking forward hearing the to the most (also bad, but playing that so damn early in the set sucked so much of the emotional punch out of the song). but yeah they nailed it with exit.

i found myself bored rather quickly during RHMT. i quite like the original version but the new arrangement sucks and that slowwww crawling video of the brass band stopped being interesting after about 15 seconds. combined with the sense that they were playing the song with very little passion or effort and were doing it because they had to play all of JT (like i said they had plenty of energy and emotion for exit only a few songs later), and it just fell really flat for me. the area of the floor i was in also seemed to have a lot of energy sucked out of it by that song as well so i don't think i'm alone in that opinion. if you enjoyed it that's cool, maybe it was better at other shows, but if i ever go to another U2 show RHMT is one i hope they leave off the setlist. i don't feel any need to hear it again.

Agree on both points.
Exit was the highlight in 1987 and it was again in 2017.

RHMT with no guitar and canned brass bonanza just fell short.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom