SPOILERS U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour Rehearsals/Soundcheck Thread SPOILERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was that the last rehearsals ???? 3 changes and it s perfect
Lol, but it does show that a few minor changes would be sufficient to turn this into a killer setlist. The current rehearsal setlist has two flaws: a few war horses we're tired of, and a stretch of the setlist of 2015 that has been copied and pasted into this setlist. It wouldn't take much to improve this setlist. Kick SFS out (we got 13...) and replace Iris with another (new) SOI song. Kick SBS out (so tired of that one) and COBL as well. The latter might be replaced by All because of you. Not sure where that one would rotate if not in that spot. Throw The Fly back into the mix and make Horses and Acorbat permanent (or rotate the latter with The Fly). Potentially change the closer, but I'll wait till I hear their live version of 13 before I criticize. It has potential.

So glad I got to see him one last time last summer. Don’t ever wait until the next tour... there may not be one!

I never got the chance to see them...wanted to go last summer but had tickets to several other shows already and chalked it up to "i'll catch them on the next tour"... Such a loss...

Love Gloria, would be more then happy to hear that in the setlist. All because of you though. One of the poorer u2 singles and one of my least favourite tracks off bomb. Would much prefer to hear miracle drug

completely agree with everything in this post

Perhaps it is just me, but in relation to this latest projected set list.

The I / E tour seemed to follow a theme pretty well – SOI songs and early career songs early in the set; followed by later career songs after intermission, then some hits as encores close the show.

I don’t have stats, but a quick glance at U2gigs for a few shows supports this at least a bit and certainly it would not work perfectly knowing some “must” songs have to be sprinkled in.

The projected set list wanders all over the place relative to what I expected from a theme perspective: SOE and later songs early; followed by SOI and early songs… again, I don’t think it can be done exclusively.

Seems especially true at the end with 4 of 6 songs from SOE -- and if the E / I theme were to be followed, why have IWF, the Ocean and Iris so early?

So… either these are just the songs they need to practice and the running order will change…. or they are not really following an E / I theme relative to the set list… or more songs to be rehearsed yet... or something else only to be revealed in Tulsa, I guess.

Not quite sure what to make of this yet.

Anybody else worried we haven't heard red flag day or little things yet?

Somewhat surprised by no Little Things, but had a hunch since they never seemed confident with it on JT2017 (as demonstrated by it going from nightly song to rotation very quickly on Legs 1 & 2).

Not surprised by Red Flag Day. They played a lot of SOE songs in the promo tour, and since Red Flag Day wasn't one of them I assumed it wasn't a song they were aching to break out live. IMO Showman is a better choice of SOE song to debut on this tour.

It would be the most 2010s U2 thing of all time to take the best song on the album, play it on the JT30 tour as the last song of the night before the album's release, be shocked that people weren't amazed by a song they've never heard before as a show finale, and thoroughly abandon it for pop schlock bullshit instead.

Potentially change the closer, but I'll wait till I hear their live version of 13 before I criticize. It has potential.

The BBC version is terrific, but it’s such a quiet and intimate song I have a hard time imagining it working in a big arena concert setting, not to mention as a concert closer. But you’re right, we won’t know for sure until we experience it in the context of the show.

No Reg Flag Day would be so bizarre but also typical U2.

Feels like they are so out of touch with which songs were well received on the album. They need to reevaluate how they judge the merits of their own songs. Their choice of singles over the last few albums have been odd as well, all starting with Boots.

Feels like they are so out of touch with which songs were well received on the album. They need to reevaluate how they judge the merits of their own songs. Their choice of singles over the last few albums have been odd as well, all starting with Boots.

Yes.

Best Thing, Get Out, and American Soul are the worst three songs on the album. They are going to commit to all of them being played every night despite them all being the worst of the new songs. And at least for Best Thing a terrible live song that is even worse live than studio.

Do we know if “Best Thing” is being practiced as full band or acoustic? Huge difference here as full band has some energy and elements that are pretty cool but acoustic is like diarrhea on a hot summers day ... it stinks!

Do we know if “Best Thing” is being practiced as full band or acoustic? Huge difference here as full band has some energy and elements that are pretty cool but acoustic is like diarrhea on a hot summers day ... it stinks!
I hope it's full band. But U2.

RFD is boring. Can't figure out why there is so much goodwil for it. It starts out interesting but goes nowhere fast. Bono's vocals on it are very unconvincing too, devoid of any passion or conviction. Whatever a red flag day is, he doesn't sound very interested about it.

For mine, RFD and American Soul are the major low points of SOE. The rest is strong.

Last edited:
RFD is boring. Can't figure out why there is so much goodwil for it. It starts out interesting but goes nowhere fast. Bono's vocals on it are very unconvincing too, devoid of any passion or conviction. Whatever a red flag day is, he doesn't sound very interested about it.

For mine, RFD and American Soul are the major low points of SOE. The rest is strong.

Everyone has their opinions, but devoid of passion? Really? The vocal at the end with the no part is a highlight of the album precisely because of the passion.

re: the Dublin story section...

No, no song should be played in place of Sunday Bloody Sunday or Raised By Wolves.

That three songs stretch (through End of the world) works as a trio.

If they're playing it, play it through. Otherwise cut all three.

The part of the Dublin story that comes before Sunday can all be replaced. It doesn't fulfil the full storyline, but the final three can be separated out into it's own mini-story.

I'm ok with them bringing the Dublin story back but damn, I thought we'd never have to hear that castrated version of SBS again. Found it to be so incredibly lame. Either give us Edge-solo acoustic or full band rocking the house.

re: the Dublin story section...

No, no song should be played in place of Sunday Bloody Sunday or Raised By Wolves.

That three songs stretch (through End of the world) works as a trio.

If they're playing it, play it through. Otherwise cut all three.

The part of the Dublin story that comes before Sunday can all be replaced. It doesn't fulfil the full storyline, but the final three can be separated out into it's own mini-story.

It’s strange, because I’m more than happy to have Cedarwood Rd, Iris and IWF back. Song For Someone is the clunker there - but I suppose they feel they need it in there with the others around it. The echo back to 13 as well, if it has to be the closer.

I think it’d work better with a rotating SOI song where SFS is - EBW full band, Reach Around, Crystal Ballroom, SLABT, and end on Bad after Little Things then Love is Bigger.

I'm thrilled they have rehearsed Gloria. Really did not expect that to be in the mix.

All Because of You, though? Of all the songs they could possibly revisit? A single that tried and failed to build on Vertigo's momentum and disappeared before the end of its debut tour with barely anyone to mourn its absence?

How on earth you'd think to revive that rather than Please or Love Is Blindness or Wire or whatever other rarity is just beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom