SPOILERS U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour Rehearsals/Soundcheck Thread SPOILERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we all being too critical (especially at this point in the tour)? I've seen 18 U2 shows over the course of a few decades. I have never at the end of a show thought to myself, "wow...that sucked". I always walk away on an incredible high. Sure, sometimes I wish they would play some songs over others, but not to the point that I would ever say I'm skipping the opportunity to see them live.

I find the sentiment that because they're selling tickets for $350 and suckers people are buying them for that price, that they have to play a quota of hits from a quota of hit albums a little odd.

Acrobat and WGRYWH are absolutely not suited for the casual laidback nature of the e-stage, I hope they're not attempted there but I'm feeling it's a strong possibility.

Of course U2 are rehearsing my 7 bottom-ranked songs from SOE, but only 2 of my 6 (7 if you include Book of Your Heart) top-ranked songs.

By people I mean those outside of these forums.

True. The general public seems to scoff AT SOI because of the scandal that surrounded it, more than the quality of the music. SOE was mostly met with a large, collective MEH. I assume that if you are going to a U2 concert, you’re at least somewhat accepting of the new albums and understand that they’ll be represented in the show. But to basically have 12-13 new songs in the show is a little much. I think a good balance would be 6 from SOE and 2 from SOI at each show. They can be rotated with other new songs.

That encore of One, LIBTAIIW and 13 is pretty much garbage. Why not close with Streets? Let people leave on a high instead of leaving thinking WTF?

That encore of One, LIBTAIIW and 13 is pretty much garbage. Why not close with Streets? Let people leave on a high instead of leaving thinking WTF?

I’m with you on ending the show on a high and I’d be very curious to see what song they’d bridge into it to end a show.‘Walk On’ to me was a perfect show closer on the Elevation tour with the extended hallelujahs. It’s the last time I remember leaving a show & hearing the United Center (Chicago) crowd exiting the stairwells in unison singing a closing song, or really any song. I attribute it to ending on a clearly positive note AND an energetic song. Since then I don’t think they’ve had as strong of a closing number (barring the occasional 40).

I think it goes downhill right after Hold Me, Thrill Me and doesn't recover.

As much as we bag on Elevation and Vertigo, those are pretty huge high-energy cloud pleasers. Throw Desire in the middle and it's a fun section. Then you get to Showman and things start to look pretty dire... there are no more "highs" for the rest of the show. Really think they should end on Streets. I don't think they should be afraid to end on their best song.

As much as we bag on Elevation and Vertigo, those are pretty huge high-energy cloud pleasers. Throw Desire in the middle and it's a fun section. Then you get to Showman and things start to look pretty dire... there are no more "highs" for the rest of the show. Really think they should end on Streets. I don't think they should be afraid to end on their best song.

Those two are staples for the greatest hits fans.
Unfortunately for me I couldn't give a hoot whether I heard them live again.
Streets should close or be accommodated within elsewhere.

Last edited:
As much as we bag on Elevation and Vertigo, those are pretty huge high-energy cloud pleasers.

I was at two of the shows in 2015 when Elevation was actually played (as it wasn't a staple then), and it definitely received one of the best crowd reactions each night.

Yeah, Elevation is always a hit with the crowd. I can definitely see why they keep it. Same with COBL. Vertigo and BD aren’t going anywhere. Both were huge hits, and are probably the reasons U2 are still together and touring in 2018.

If this is opening night will definitely be the most disappointing set list to me personally since my first u2 show in ‘92. I’ll still go and enjoy most of it, but the inclusion of all the worst of soe plus all the rehash of a show that I already saw three years ago is so very disappointing.

I’m with you on ending the show on a high and I’d be very curious to see what song they’d bridge into it to end a show.‘Walk On’ to me was a perfect show closer on the Elevation tour with the extended hallelujahs. It’s the last time I remember leaving a show & hearing the United Center (Chicago) crowd exiting the stairwells in unison singing a closing song, or really any song. I attribute it to ending on a clearly positive note AND an energetic song. Since then I don’t think they’ve had as strong of a closing number (barring the occasional 40).

I don’t know why so often they choose to end the concerts on a slow song! Walk On was a good closer, for the reasons you mentioned. 40 and Bad are also great closers, but are seldom used in that spot. One is adequate, but just kind of wraps things up, instead of leaving the crowd on a high. MOS was a poor choice. 13 is an awful choice!! Don’t they see that ending with something like IWF or OOC, or even Vertigo (not x2) always gets a better final reaction than something slow?

I absolutely think they should transition from 13 into Streets to wrap this show up. That’d be one helluva closer!

If this is opening night will definitely be the most disappointing set list to me personally since my first u2 show in ‘92. I’ll still go and enjoy most of it, but the inclusion of all the worst of soe plus all the rehash of a show that I already saw three years ago is so very disappointing.

Well, we could be Soundgarden fans and have no more shows from now on either. So this certainly beats being in that position.

That and who knows when they'll be back in the U.S.? I guess we have been a bit spoiled with lots of shows in 2015 and 2017 to choose from, plus these. But if they're not touring for awhile here after that, I'll probably be glad I hit these one or three regardless.

I don’t know why so often they choose to end the concerts on a slow song! Walk On was a good closer, for the reasons you mentioned. 40 and Bad are also great closers, but are seldom used in that spot. One is adequate, but just kind of wraps things up, instead of leaving the crowd on a high. MOS was a poor choice. 13 is an awful choice!! Don’t they see that ending with something like IWF or OOC, or even Vertigo (not x2) always gets a better final reaction than something slow?

I absolutely think they should transition from 13 into Streets to wrap this show up. That’d be one helluva closer!

My prediction is that 13 won't last long as a closer

Well, we could be Soundgarden fans and have no more shows from now on either. So this certainly beats being in that position.

That and who knows when they'll be back in the U.S.? I guess we have been a bit spoiled with lots of shows in 2015 and 2017 to choose from, plus these. But if they're not touring for awhile here after that, I'll probably be glad I hit these one or three regardless.

I am a big Soundgarden fan... and still crying

I went to 4 Tom Petty concerts last year (15th-18th times overall I saw TP) despite having an even less rotating setlist than U2. But I love them and their music. Tom passed away days after their final show of the tour. I’m still coping with the thought that I’ll never be able to be in the stands and sing along with their music with my wife next to me. And my daughter is only 3 so we didn’t get to enjoy that bond. There’s a bigger reason I go to see the bands I love beyond the setlist variation. The songs have soul. It’s two ends connecting.

Just bought 3 tix to U2 STL- my wife, my daughter and I. You never know what’s next :heart:

Last edited:
I went to 4 Tom Petty concerts last year (15th-18th times overall I saw TP) despite having an even less rotating setlist than U2. But I love them and their music. Tom passed away days after their final show of the tour. I’m still coping with the thought that I’ll never be able to sit in the stands and sing along with their music with my wife next to me. And my daughter is only 3 so we didn’t get to enjoy that bond. There’s a bigger reason I go to see the bands I love beyond the setlist variation. The songs have soul. It’s two ends connecting.

Just bought 3 tix to U2 STL- my wife, my daughter and I. You never know what’s next :heart:

Sweet, another Petty fan! I saw them 8 times between 1999 and 2017. Such a great live band!

Petty’s sets rarely changed during the course of an entire tour, maybe one song would change. And really, the structure of his setlists mostly stayed the same tour after tour, with different new songs being plugged into the places of the previous albums new songs. Petty’s setlists made U2 seem like Pearl Jam!But, Petty’s shows were pure magic!

So glad I got to see him one last time last summer. Don’t ever wait until the next tour... there may not be one!

Last edited:
I have seen U2 32x, and loved all of them. Never severely disappointed except maybe at an early Popmart show where they weren't prepared.

Every time I have ever seen U2, the set has a handful of songs that I don't love. Maybe on average 5 or so songs that I am lukewarm to, and then 1-2 I don't care for. The vast majority of their sets have been 80% songs that I love. There are things that I think they do that are somewhat tired, and lazy, but overall they are always excellent.

This set has 5 songs that I genuinely skip every time and don't care for at all. Plus another 5+ that I am at best lukewarm to, and my favorite 3 off the new album are being left out. Then the warhorses that are left have been done to death, and the couple rarities are not really rare or just a head-scratcher (the ocean?) This is my personal opinion, and certainly won't be everyone, but over half this set looks pretty bad.

Who are they aiming for with this set? It's not a lot of rarities for diehards, and it's certainly not a set for the casual fan. I would be really surprised if the casual fans care to see all these songs from the last two albums. I liked the last two albums, and listened to them both a lot of times, and I don't want to see all these songs in one set. I never care to see RBW, Song for Someone, or Cedarwood ever again, really surprised they would hold those over when they are mediocre at best.

I really hope I am wrong, but the last third of this set looks terrible. The rest seems like its pretty mediocre. I think they are going to see and feel the lull at the end of the set, and hopefully it spurs some drastic changes.

I agree. Hopefully by the time they get to Chicago they’ll have the set ironed out, and have Acrobat in a full time slot!

Interference: THIS SETLIST SUCKS!!!
u2songs: My bad, guys... Acrobat WAS rehearsed.
Interference: THIS IS THE BEST SETLIST EVER!!

Not 100% happy with the set list considering it’s my first time seeing the band (no Streets etc.). I’d love to see EBW as well and where is The Little Things? Might seem random, but I’d love to hear Van Diemen’s Land.

Interference: THIS SETLIST SUCKS!!!
u2songs: My bad, guys... Acrobat WAS rehearsed.
Interference: THIS IS THE BEST SETLIST EVER!!

When I found out they actually rehearsed Acrobat, my first thought was: "So, the setlist is now the best?" The placement is perplexing though. That transition makes me laugh: "Don't let the bastards grind you down!" *applause* "When you look so good..."

Very happy to see it back. Add Streets and Little Things, play the real arrangement of SBS, and refresh the Innocence section and I'm game.

Last edited:
Easy fixed - but they won’t. At least it is pushing 27 songs now

Unknown Pre-Recorded Song (Possibly with Bono vocals)
“Love is All We Have Left”
“The Blackout”
“Lights of Home”
“Beautiful Day”
“I Will Follow”
“The Ocean”
“Iris”
“Cedarwood Road”
“Song for Someone”
“Sunday Bloody Sunday”
“Raised by Wolves”
“Until the End of the World”