SPOILERS U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour Rehearsals/Soundcheck Thread SPOILERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping for Reach Me Now, Troubles or Crystal Ballroom from SOI... I guess I'll have to hire a cover band to see someone performing this awesome tunes.

These guys are bat shit crazy if they think they can get away with charging $350 a ticket to play a show where 2/3rds of the set list are from the last two albums, and the last third contains zero songs from the Joshua Tree.

Agreed.

My friend who is a pretty big fan but not batshit insane like the rest of us posting on the forum... he's seen the band probably 1-2 times per tour since Popmart.

Talked to him about U2 on Saturday and the upcoming tour, and he said he would give somebody a hug and apologize to them if they saw U2 for the first/only time and they didn't play Streets.

I mean, if they're gonna play freaking Pride then for fucks sake...there's no points to prove here. Yes, the new material is great and they think it's great and it's all so great, but don't prove a point by not playing your best live song.

These guys are bat shit crazy if they think they can get away with charging $350 a ticket to play a show where 2/3rds of the set list are from the last two albums, and the last third contains zero songs from the Joshua Tree.

This is exactly how I feel. If you’re gonna charge those prices you gotta play the hits.

There’s a balance to be found with hits, new songs and something to satisfy the hardcores...these rehearsals don’t seem to indicate that they have found it.

Don't you understand? We need Pride now more than ever. And American Soul!!!!!

But the idea that the majority... 51% or more... of an audience paying $350 for tickets wouldn't at bare minimum recognize a song off one of the biggest albums of all time is just plain silly.

I agree that the majority will recognize it, but probably in the vein of "this sounds familiar" but know it word for word like we do? Nope.

I think a lot of people on this site lose sight of the fact that the vast majority of fans are not obsessed super fans as we are. Nearly every person I know who is a fan has at one time or another listened to Achtung or TJT, but I would say a good chunk of the casual fan base rarely listens to full albums. Especially in the era of music streaming. Of the group of 8 that I went to JT30 with, only 2 of us had regularly listened to anything other than the "big 3." From where I was on the floor, this seemed to be the overall feeling in the stadium as there was a huge lull in fan enthusiasm after side A. Not to say people didn't enjoy it or that it wasn't great, but people were clearly less familiar with every songs after Bullet. It would be the same--even more so considering Achtung wasn't quite as huge as TJT--for the deeper cuts off of Achtung Baby. This was a huge album yes, but huge nearly 3 decades ago.

To say that people who are shelling out $350 per ticket won't be familiar with every song off of Achtung Baby? Totally plausible. U2 shows are an event--a must see act. A lot of people going will be casual "greatest hits" fans, spouses and other people just going to see what the fuss is about.

UV got a great reaction on 360 because it was absolutely stunning visually, theatrically and sounded killer. Not to mention it is a pretty catchy/poppy chorus. The pulled out all stops and it was one of the absolute highlights of the show. If U2 are able to pull the same off with Acrobat, I would be thrilled. I'll be pumped to hear it live regardless how it is received by the crowd.

In reality, anyone who claims without reservation that Acrobat will be widely recognized or barely recognizable to the average fan is completely talking out of their ass. Unless somehow I missed the study that came out polling U2 concert goers about their listening habits, patterns, or knowledge of non singles cuts.

Hell, my own girlfriend of 4 years, who I thought I had "trained" well when it came to U2 and converted into a fan didn't recognize COBL or Bad (BAD!!) when we saw the band in Chicago 2015.

I agree that the majority will recognize it, but probably in the vein of "this sounds familiar" but know it word for word like we do? Nope.

I think a lot of people on this site lose sight of the fact that the vast majority of fans are not obsessed super fans as we are. Nearly every person I know who is a fan has at one time or another listened to Achtung or TJT, but I would say a good chunk of the casual fan base rarely listens to full albums. Especially in the era of music streaming. Of the group of 8 that I went to JT30 with, only 2 of us had regularly listened to anything other than the "big 3." From where I was on the floor, this seemed to be the overall feeling in the stadium as there was a huge lull in fan enthusiasm after side A. Not to say people didn't enjoy it or that it wasn't great, but people were clearly less familiar with every songs after Bullet. It would be the same--even more so considering Achtung wasn't quite as huge as TJT--for the deeper cuts off of Achtung Baby. This was a huge album yes, but huge nearly 3 decades ago.

To say that people who are shelling out $350 per ticket won't be familiar with every song off of Achtung Baby? Totally plausible. U2 shows are an event--a must see act. A lot of people going will be casual "greatest hits" fans, spouses and other people just going to see what the fuss is about.

UV got a great reaction on 360 because it was absolutely stunning visually, theatrically and sounded killer. Not to mention it is a pretty catchy/poppy chorus. The pulled out all stops and it was one of the absolute highlights of the show. If U2 are able to pull the same off with Acrobat, I would be thrilled. I'll be pumped to hear it live regardless how it is received by the crowd.

In reality, anyone who claims without reservation that Acrobat will be widely recognized or barely recognizable to the average fan is completely talking out of their ass. Unless somehow I missed the study that came out polling U2 concert goers about their listening habits, patterns, or knowledge of non singles cuts.

Hell, my own girlfriend of 4 years, who I thought I had "trained" well when it came to U2 and converted into a fan didn't recognize COBL or Bad (BAD!!) when we saw the band in Chicago 2015.

Exactly.

this Acrobat argument is really bad. Let's forget about it and move on yeah?

As long as they play it in Vegas, I couldn't really give a fuck about everyone else's experience.

Just don't let Wayne Newton guest on it.

Though that would be pretty fucking crazy.

sigh... I never said everyone would love it, know all the words, want to make sweet sweet love to the song, spontaneously combust, or jizz in their pants.

The only argument made is that thinking a majority of attendees at a U2 concert wouldn't recognize a song off one of their two biggest albums is coo coo for Cocoa Puffs.

Because it is.

The reaction it gets will be based off of set placement and whether or not the band can actually pull it off without it sucking.

Seriously, let's drop the Acrobat argument. I am The_acrobat, so I have final say so in the matter!! And I say that probably the vast majority of U2 concert attendees own Achtung Baby, and have probably at least heard Acrobat. I agree that it's probably the most obscure track on the album, for various reasons. Therefore, I think that in order for U2 to get a good audience reaction from the song, they will need to give it the "Exit" treatment, where they nail both the visuals and the performance of it. It's a song that can't be half assed or just a dick-off b-stage performance... they need to give it all or nothing.

I hope that it shows back up in rehearsals tonight... otherwise, I'll probably start to get worried. I know, probably a ridiculous reaction, but I believe it was supposed to take the "Raised by Wolves" spot, and now RBW is back. So...

Look, there's no need to be an asshole. I rarely post on here these days. I've posted maybe 10 times since the fall and this is the second one that you responded to a well reasoned, substantial post with one snarky word. You don't have to agree with a word I say. You say a lot about yourself by picking out one line and responding like that. We are all trying to have an intelligent discussion here- yourself included. People are engaging with your posts substantially- do the same with mine please or ignore them.

I personally think you're usually one of the better, more informed and knowledgable posters here so you are better than this.

It is telling that you didn't respond to any of my other arguments re: the difference between Ultraviolet and Acrobat and the composition of a crowd that's paying $350/ticket.

I will say for the 3rd time in this thread that I WANT to hear Acrobat and want it and /or Wild Horses to be a staple. I don't think it will go over poorly with casuals. My argument is we can't charge 350 and leave a whole fistful of 80s classics out.

And Acrobat is by far the most obscure song on an album that came out AFTER a lot of this tour's demographic was at the height of their U2 fandom.

I don't know why it is so hard to understand. A 55 year old couple and their friends who have money to throw around spun War to death. I know AB was a bigger album, but War was plenty big in its own right and as you know, a lot of these people left or only stayed with U2 casually . People are under the notion that AB was as big as JT or that more casuals associate that with U2 than the 1980s. That's just not true. I know many casuals who could tell you every track from Boy and War but only the singles from AB. I love AB like anyone here and it's for me, exactly tied with JT at the top of the catalog. But we cant let our personal bias get in the way here. People think U2 and they think the 1980s heavy hitters. War, UF, JT, R&H. Younger casuals think BD, COBL and vertigo. Oh, and the 80s hits. Mysterious Ways and One are the only 90s songs that make the cut with that crowd.

You also know that MTV, in its infancy in 1983, was hitting the height of its popularity in 1991-1993 and therefore, the focus was more on singles and big songs.

There's no objective way to know whether non singles from War or AB are more or less obscure but you can make a (non laughable) case either way. So that's all I'm asking for, Headache. To quote an AB song "did I ask too much?"

It is possible to see merit in both arguments and to have a middle position to what both extremes here are arguing.

you are hilarious. of all the arguments made in that post you pick this very last line to respond with a simple snarky 'lol' like a teenager would do. no one but axver agrees with you on this topic yet you plow on, like a man on a mission.

I respect your opinions but really, you are fighting an uphill battle here. at least until we see how it goes down with this tune in front of an actual audience.

He's got a long history of doing these things.

Last edited:
I'd rather hear the same setlist from last year than all the songs rehearsed these last few days. Well, except LOH. They said they would play rarities, not just one song that's been anticipated to be heard live since the ZooTV tour. Hopefully we get more than Acrobat. but this sucks. :madspit:

I'd be very shocked and disappointed if they play the same segments as the i&e tour. They can't play the same soi songs and then add loads of the new soe songs aswell.

A large chunk of that audience will go home very unhappy and if theve paid 350 dollars for a seat they won't be back to a u2 show again!

I think people can forgive not having any Joshua tree songs as long as the set isn't full of soi and soe songs

I'd rather hear the same setlist from last year than all the songs rehearsed these last few days. Well, except LOH. They said they would play rarities, not just one song that's been anticipated to be heard live since the ZooTV tour. Hopefully we get more than Acrobat. but this sucks. :madspit:
Set certainly leaves a lot to be desired right now... but songs that looked crappy on paper have surprised before.

Still have lots of time to change.

Soon this will all be forgotten, and we'll all move on to more important things to complain about, like GA lists and the people who run them.

i'd be very shocked and disappointed if they play the same segments as the i&e tour. They can't play the same soi songs and then add loads of the new soe songs aswell.

A large chunk of that audience will go home very unhappy and if theve paid 350 dollars for a seat they won't be back to a u2 show again!

I think people can forgive not having any joshua tree songs as long as the set isn't full of soi and soe songs
100%

Following this rehearsal cycle, since Elevation, I am always excited about possibilities of sets and then it always settles into the predictable, and ultimately is fairly disappointing. This seems to be no different.

From the rehearsal reports, I bet it shakes out something like this:

00-Intro- Love is All have left
01 Blackout
02 Lights of Home
03 B.D.
04 I Will Follow / (Rotated: other older warhorses)
05 The Ocean
06 Iris
07 Cedarwood Road
08 Song for Someone
09 SBS
10 RBW
11 Until the End
----
12 Elevation Or HM,TM,KM,KM / The Fly
13 Desire
14 Vertigo
--- b-stage
15 The Showman
16 Staring At the Sun
17 Acrobat / Wild Horses
18 Best Thing
19 Pride
--Encore 1
20 Get Out
21 American Soul
22 COBL
--Encore 2--
23 One
24 Love is Bigger
25 13

This would be a very good setlist until song 17.... then a nightmare....

Look, there's no need to be an asshole. I rarely post on here these days. I've posted maybe 10 times since the fall and this is the second one that you responded to a well reasoned, substantial post with one snarky word. You don't have to agree with a word I say. You say a lot about yourself by picking out one line and responding like that. We are all trying to have an intelligent discussion here- yourself included. People are engaging with your posts substantially- do the same with mine please or ignore them.

I personally think you're usually one of the better, more informed and knowledgable posters here so you are better than this.

It is telling that you didn't respond to any of my other arguments re: the difference between Ultraviolet and Acrobat and the composition of a crowd that's paying $350/ticket.

I will say for the 3rd time in this thread that I WANT to hear Acrobat and want it and /or Wild Horses to be a staple. I don't think it will go over poorly with casuals. My argument is we can't charge 350 and leave a whole fistful of 80s classics out.

And Acrobat is by far the most obscure song on an album that came out AFTER a lot of this tour's demographic was at the height of their U2 fandom.

I don't know why it is so hard to understand. A 55 year old couple and their friends who have money to throw around spun War to death. I know AB was a bigger album, but War was plenty big in its own right and as you know, a lot of these people left or only stayed with U2 casually . People are under the notion that AB was as big as JT or that more casuals associate that with U2 than the 1980s. That's just not true. I know many casuals who could tell you every track from Boy and War but only the singles from AB. I love AB like anyone here and it's for me, exactly tied with JT at the top of the catalog. But we cant let our personal bias get in the way here. People think U2 and they think the 1980s heavy hitters. War, UF, JT, R&H. Younger casuals think BD, COBL and vertigo. Oh, and the 80s hits. Mysterious Ways and One are the only 90s songs that make the cut with that crowd.

You also know that MTV, in its infancy in 1983, was hitting the height of its popularity in 1991-1993 and therefore, the focus was more on singles and big songs.

There's no objective way to know whether non singles from War or AB are more or less obscure but you can make a (non laughable) case either way. So that's all I'm asking for, Headache. To quote an AB song "did I ask too much?"

It is possible to see merit in both arguments and to have a middle position to what both extremes here are arguing.

He's got a long history of doing these things.

Excellent and thoughtful post.

This would be a very good setlist until song 17.... then a nightmare....

My thoughts exactly. That 1st encore would be a new low. I still can't believe they think American Soul is a good idea. It's going to make the Bono playing the drum with the ridiculous headband during Love and Peace or Else look good by comparison.

I don't know why it is so hard to understand. A 55 year old couple and their friends who have money to throw around spun War to death.

I think you’re a bit off on their demographic.

I liked Bono playing drums with the head band :reject:

I went to a Vertigo show with my parents, and I’ll never forget how my Dad’s face lit up when Bono started banging that drum. It was a highlight for him, along with “that song where Adam plays the bass” (in reference to WOWY).

I will enjoy this concert no matter what. Nothing about it will suck. As I will be in Vegas, I have much opportunity to win back the entire amount of the trip plus some (or lose 5X the ticket cost. The NBA playoffs will be my salvation or donation to the shiny lights).

There is, in my view, only Church, Great, or Very Good as possible responses from me as to how the show went. Very Good is a distinct possibility as it seems Little Things might get bypassed and I tore my Achilles in a baseball tournament recently so I will be hobbling in a boot. But Very Good will still be worth the money, in Vegas converted dollars, if only because my 17 year old loves the new album and all the songs we all dislike on said album and I have one year left with her before college and this will be awesome.

I do believe some of the hardcores have just seen them too many damn times when "sucks" or other qualifiers start to get thrown around. The $350 ticket is steep...yet I have yet to pay that for any U2 show. You can get in to hear the music for an obstructed $45 + bastardfees. Tickets are expensive for everyone these days. I have not seen a GA show since Elevation, so I am around casuals, and have never seen total disdain at any setlist from them. The most restless I saw fans in the crowd was at the Rose Bowl during One Tree Hill (which made me want to punch some people) and Ultraviolet (also, made me want to punch some people), but I chalk that up to LA. I was closer in SD but not GA, and in the uppers in Glendale, and it seemed many were dialed into Side B. We, and that is me, as well...project quite a bit. We all know what the best set list ever would be. And we are right. If we ever get a U2 Interference Special Performance. Because most people would be bored to tears by Gone followed by My Blue Room followed by Electrical Storm followed by Wire. I give them credit for working Acrobat out. I think they are idiots if they don't put Little Things in the set. Red Flag Day better figure its way in, or...

or...I will still smile, but not as hard.

I will enjoy this concert no matter what. Nothing about it will suck. As I will be in Vegas, I have much opportunity to win back the entire amount of the trip plus some (or lose 5X the ticket cost. The NBA playoffs will be my salvation or donation to the shiny lights).

There is, in my view, only Church, Great, or Very Good as possible responses from me as to how the show went. Very Good is a distinct possibility as it seems Little Things might get bypassed and I tore my Achilles in a baseball tournament recently so I will be hobbling in a boot. But Very Good will still be worth the money, in Vegas converted dollars, if only because my 17 year old loves the new album and all the songs we all dislike on said album and I have one year left with her before college and this will be awesome.

I do believe some of the hardcores have just seen them too many damn times when "sucks" or other qualifiers start to get thrown around. The $350 ticket is steep...yet I have yet to pay that for any U2 show. You can get in to hear the music for an obstructed $45 + bastardfees. Tickets are expensive for everyone these days. I have not seen a GA show since Elevation, so I am around casuals, and have never seen total disdain at any setlist from them. The most restless I saw fans in the crowd was at the Rose Bowl during One Tree Hill (which made me want to punch some people) and Ultraviolet (also, made me want to punch some people), but I chalk that up to LA. I was closer in SD but not GA, and in the uppers in Glendale, and it seemed many were dialed into Side B. We, and that is me, as well...project quite a bit. We all know what the best set list ever would be. And we are right. If we ever get a U2 Interference Special Performance. Because most people would be bored to tears by Gone followed by My Blue Room followed by Electrical Storm followed by Wire. I give them credit for working Acrobat out. I think they are idiots if they don't put Little Things in the set. Red Flag Day better figure its way in, or...

or...I will still smile, but not as hard.

I agree with all of this.... except American Soul sucks.

I think you’re a bit off on their demographic.
honestly...

To say that U2's core demo and concert attendees peaked their fandom around War, before Achtung Baby and all that came after it in the early 2000s is simply wrong, and I'm not sure how anyone could legitimately argue that point. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
I have only been to one show, and I am going to another in May as well, and I didn't complain about the setlist when I was there. But I hope the setlist changes from show to show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom