** SPOILERS** The soundcheck thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Miracle
Electric Co/Gloria/Outta Control
Vertigo
IWF
Iris
Cedarwood Road
Song for Someone
SBS
Raised By Wolves
UTEOTW
~The Fly intermission~
Invisible
EBTTRT
Mysterious Ways
rotation+Reach Around
rotation
October (occasionally)
EBW
Bullet -> Zooropa outro
Pride
NYD/Bad/AIWIY (occasionally)
BD
WOWY

COBL
Streets
One/ISFHWILF
40 (occasionally)

There's your set for the entire European leg. If I'm wrong I'll suck all your penises. :yawn:

Miracle
Electric Co/Gloria/Outta Control
Vertigo
IWF
Iris
Cedarwood Road
Song for Someone
SBS
Raised By Wolves
UTEOTW
~The Fly intermission~
Invisible
EBTTRT
Mysterious Ways
rotation+Reach Around
rotation
October (occasionally)
EBW
Bullet -> Zooropa outro
Pride
NYD/Bad/AIWIY (occasionally)
BD
WOWY

COBL
Streets
One/ISFHWILF
40 (occasionally)

There's your set for the entire European leg. If I'm wrong I'll suck all your penises. :yawn:

Maybe the first shows will be like this, but I think/hope they will play some new songs after a while.

The 8-show run at MSG was quite disappointing in terms of the setlist. Night #7 and we were still hearing Elevation and Ordinary Love.

The best moments of that run were the debuts of October and Two Hearts Beat as One. Not forgetting Still Haven't Found with Bruce and Party Girl.

It remains hilarious to me that perhaps the most WTF moment of any of the New York shows - certainly up there - came on the first night with October. Only U2.

haha yeah

and I agree with biker, Two Hearts Beat As One was probably one of the best moments. Listened to the studio version for the first time in AGES after I read they'd played it, such a good song.

I'm sure it's VERY unlikely it'll come back, even in London for the sake of variety. but never mind.....as long as we get to hear One. :angry:

I think we'll see Two Hearts but not in the second slot, it had a really weird energy there. that's the slot that really needs Electric Co/Gloria

I'm expecting the four-night stands in Europe to rotate through Electric Co./Gloria/OOC/Two Hearts in the second slot. But I think THBAO would be better a little later - Cedarwood/SFS is really clunky, but put THBAO between them and it would be a little better, plus THBAO/SFS makes a heap of thematic sense.

I don't think Two Hearts will come back. Bono seemed annoyed that they even played it. "You pushed us out of our comfort zone, are you fucking happy? Trainspotters. Fuck off."

It seems like Bono really wanted to do it because he was excited about the gay marriage decision, but it didn't really come together. Unfortunately, because fans listen to the soundcheck, he probably felt obligated to perform it due to internet chatter and people in line asking him about it. He definitely wasn't happy with cooling the momentum so early in the set...the song's actually as much a burner as the other early tunes rotating in that spot, but it really wasn't played remotely right. They all just slipped into a comfortable groove rather than tried to really give it their all for one of their most complicated songs. It will likely go down as their most half-assed try on the tour, but I haven't bothered to watch the video of the impromptu "In God's Country" yet (and which people seemed to like, anyway).

I don't think Two Hearts will come back. Bono seemed annoyed that they even played it. "You pushed us out of our comfort zone, are you fucking happy? Trainspotters. Fuck off."

:up: They will never play it again.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yep, it's dead. Bono's even deleting past performances from U2gigs. THBAO never happened live.

War Remastered 2.0.
*Drowning Man and Two Hearts Beat As One deleted from album*
*Replaced with Elevation and Ordinary Love*

Yeah, because that's always influenced the band in the past?

Face-to-face, yes. And "Two Hearts" was played yesterday because a fan requested it in person.

Online? Yeah, you're right. They really could give two f**ks. It's kind of amazing that a band so tech-savvy knows very little about what people on the internet (or, in other words, their fans) want them to play. The fact that they were rehearsing "One Step Closer" and "Playboy Mansion" simply because they haven't been played before is proof of that...this is the biggest U2 forum there is, I believe, yet clearly no attention was paid to my polling or the U2 Twitter request campaign.

Of the top 25 requested songs in the Interference poll I conducted that weren't tour regulars the last time around or on the SOI album, only six have made the cut so far...

#12 - Invisible
#15 (T) - Gloria
#15 (T) - In God's Country - impromptu, mind you
#18 - The Electric Co.
#21 - Two Hearts Beat As One
#25 - Out of Control

Note: There's seven if you count "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" being performed at the club gig in order to mimic their early club shows.

13 of the top 14 choices haven't even been soundchecked for a proper SOI gig!

#1 - A Sort of Homecoming
#2 - Acrobat
#3 - Mofo
#4 - Please
#5 - Gone
#6 (T) - Love Is Blindness
#6 (T) - Lemon
#8 - Exit
#9 - 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
#10 - One Tree Hill
#11 - Kite
#13 (T) - God Part II
#13 (T) - Heartland

They've definitely still got a long ways to go and there's really no excuse why some of these songs aren't setlist regulars. The fans are asking for them, but nobody seems to be listening.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/the-songs-you-want-to-hear-on-the-next-tour-218269.html

Where They Really Wanted?

#37 - Bullet The Blue Sky
#42 - October
#44 (T) - Ordinary Love
#44 (T) - 40 (unfortunate circumstances brought this closer back, obviously)
#53 (T) - Sweetest Thing (my girlfriend's #1 request, however. she was thrilled)
#59 (T) - Miracle Drug

Beautiful Day - 21/44
Even Better Than The Real Thing - 20/44
With Or Without You - 20/44
I Will Follow - 16/44
Vertigo - 16/44
City of Blinding Lights - 14/44
Sunday Bloody Sunday - 14/44
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - 14/44
One - 13/44
Mysterious Ways - 12/44
Pride - 9/44
Angel of Harlem - 8/44
Elevation - 8/44
Desire - 5/44

- As you can see, all of those 360 regulars had less than half of respondents wanting to hear them on this tour. Of the 14 tracks above, 9 have a nightly presence on the SOI tour. On a positive note, 6 of the 11 360 regulars that people actually wanted back have already appeared thus far on this tour...still no sighting of The Fly, New Year's Day (!), The Unforgettable Fire, Ultraviolet or Stay.

- The Miracle and Song for Someone appear nightly in spite of hardly any fans actually wanting to hear them while Lucifer's Hands was the least sought after track from the album yet has appeared multiple times while Sleep Like A Baby Tonight and This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now still wait in the shadows.

Last edited:
I wrote them a letter to advice them to try and do the exact opposite as what the outcome of any given Interference poll indicates.
They do listen to their fans :up:

I'd say the #U2Request polling is more indicative of what the online fanbase wants to hear - and the theme of poor representation of top requests occurs there too.

I am surprised THBAO got played today on a fan's request though. Sure, some fans previously have encouraged the band to play certain soundchecked songs, but it didn't necessarily happen that night. Look at how many fan requests were fielded and soundchecks performed before Crystal Ballroom went from a Bono promise to a reality.

Face-to-face, yes. And "Two Hearts" was played yesterday because a fan requested it in person.
It still has to already be something that's on their radars, otherwise we would have gotten Acrobat a long time ago.
QUOTE=BigMacPhisto;8008778]

this is the biggest U2 forum there is, I believe, yet clearly no attention was paid to my polling or the U2 Twitter request campaign.
[/QUOTE]

Like many of us tried to tell you...

Online? Yeah, you're right. They really could give two f**ks. It's kind of amazing that a band so tech-savvy knows very little about what people on the internet (or, in other words, their fans) want them to play. The fact that they were rehearsing "One Step Closer" and "Playboy Mansion" simply because they haven't been played before is proof of that...this is the biggest U2 forum there is, I believe, yet clearly no attention was paid to my polling or the U2 Twitter request campaign.

Of the top 25 requested songs in the Interference poll I conducted that weren't tour regulars the last time around or on the SOI album, only six have made the cut so far...

#12 - Invisible
#15 (T) - Gloria
#15 (T) - In God's Country - impromptu, mind you
#18 - The Electric Co.
#21 - Two Hearts Beat As One
#25 - Out of Control

Note: There's seven if you count "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" being performed at the club gig in order to mimic their early club shows.

#2 - Acrobat
#3 - Mofo
#4 - Please
#5 - Gone
#6 (T) - Lemon
#8 - Exit
#10 - One Tree Hill
#11 - Kite
#13 (T) - God Part II
#13 (T) - Heartland

They've definitely still got a long ways to go and there's really no excuse why some of these songs aren't setlist regulars. The fans are asking for them, but nobody seems to be listening.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f189/the-songs-you-want-to-hear-on-the-next-tour-218269.html

Where They Really Wanted?

#37 - Bullet The Blue Sky
#42 - October
#44 (T) - Ordinary Love
#44 (T) - 40 (unfortunate circumstances brought this closer back, obviously)
#53 (T) - Sweetest Thing (my girlfriend's #1 request, however. she was thrilled)
#59 (T) - Miracle Drug

Beautiful Day - 21/44
Even Better Than The Real Thing - 20/44
With Or Without You - 20/44
I Will Follow - 16/44
Vertigo - 16/44
City of Blinding Lights - 14/44
Sunday Bloody Sunday - 14/44
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - 14/44
One - 13/44
Mysterious Ways - 12/44
Pride - 9/44
Angel of Harlem - 8/44
Elevation - 8/44
Desire - 5/44

- As you can see, all of those 360 regulars had less than half of respondents wanting to hear them on this tour. Of the 14 tracks above, 9 have a nightly presence on the SOI tour. On a positive note, 6 of the 11 360 regulars that people actually wanted back have already appeared thus far on this tour...still no sighting of The Fly, New Year's Day (!), The Unforgettable Fire, Ultraviolet or Stay.

- The Miracle and Song for Someone appear nightly in spite of hardly any fans actually wanting to hear them while Lucifer's Hands was the least sought after track from the album yet has appeared multiple times while Sleep Like A Baby Tonight and This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now still wait in the shadows.

Despite I would love to hear these requested songs live, I can see U2 want to satisfy the majority of the crowd and unfortunately 90% of the audience wants to hear warhorses.

Bono reading the Two Hearts Beat As One lyrics of an auto-cue the whole song was pretty funny ;x Good that he uses it now, on 360 we would've gotten the song with mumbles lyrics.

Despite I would love to hear these requested songs live, I can see U2 want to satisfy the majority of the crowd and unfortunately 90% of the audience wants to hear warhorses.
Pretty sure 50% of the people around me barely knew the songs from the first part of the show and didn't seem to like them either, it was until after streets that people started cheering. Well if you have set up the show like this, might as well toss in a Lemon or Gone and get the 90s U2 fan all excited.

Last edited:
Possible reasons they haven't played these songs:

Bono can't sing it anymore.
#2 - Acrobat
Will show up on SOE leg. Or they just don't like it much.
#3 - Mofo
Too raw lyrically, and IWF and Iris deal with similar subject matter. Also, more "experienced."
#4 - Please
Already have two "troubles" tracks in the set. They seem to have forgotten the can decline to play SBS.
#5 - Gone
Fits "experience" theme more.
Same as above.
#6 (T) - Lemon
No way in hell can Bono sing this song.
#8 - Exit
Too dark, doesn't have a place thematically.
U2 are assholes with bad taste.
#10 - One Tree Hill
Doesn't fit thematically. Also, assholes with bad taste.
#11 - Kite
Experience. And maybe Bono realized that the last verse is nonsense.
#13 (T) - God Part II
This song probably embarrasses them.
#13 (T) - Heartland
Where would this fit? It would kill the momentum of the show. One of their best songs, but wouldn't work live.

I think the set is good. I wouldn't have wanted them to play SBS and WOWY every night, but they're both surprisingly good on this tour. Bono's singing with conviction for the first time since 2001, and the new arrangement for SBS is incredible. I imagine we'll get more 90s stuff when SOE comes out. I wonder if that tour will see SOI songs get dropped.

I was reading about how Bowie, for his 1990 tour, let fans choose the sets and the fans voted for the greatest hits - how boring is that? So U2 fans are probably just as...lame. Which is why artists should never pay attention to what the fans say they want, because they have no fucking idea.

Last edited:
It was played for several reasons. Fan brought it to Bono's attention. He remembered a fact about writing the song and probably thought that was cool to bring up. Most importantly, they had already rehearsed it and played it. So it only required a run through at sound check.

Some fans requested more Zooropa songs on the 3rd leg of the Vertigo tour in Chicago. They rehearsed Daddy's Gonna Pay and The First Time right after that and eventually Mofo. Only The First Time made it to the show obviously. So fan requests can make it obviously but are pretty unlikely on the whole. They may even try out the request, but if they are not "feeling" it or it doesn't fit what they are doing they wont do it either.

I think I remember someone asked for A Celebration to Edge during Vertigo and he supposedly laughed like it was a ridiculous request. :shrug:

Pretty sure 50% of the people around me barely knew the songs from the first part of the show and didn't seem to like them either, it was until after streets that people started cheering. Well if you have set up the show like this, might as well toss in a Lemon or Gone and get the 90s U2 fan all excited.

People didn't cheer until the 20th song? You're either surrounded by shitty people or you're full of shit.

Bono reading the Two Hearts Beat As One lyrics of an auto-cue the whole song was pretty funny ;x Good that he uses it now, on 360 we would've gotten the song with mumbles lyrics.

Was he? If so, it is the worst possible amateurism. I absolutely hate all the teleprompters. It is so fake. I would rather listen to improvised lyrics or they should wait with performing it until he learns the lyrics.

Where have you been? He always has teleprompters on the tour; he has for a good number of years now. He's not staring at them the entire show or anything (you can tell, because he still gets a lot of words wrong!), but they are there.

It's not that uncommon. When I saw Elbow last year, I was close enough to the stage to read Guy Garvey's computer screen with the lyrics.

Back
Top Bottom