Spiderman News - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad that blurb didn't give Pascal's whole quote/tweet/whatever - he had also said something like "I hope they sue Taymor/Bono/Edge!!!!eleven!!"

Thankfully, the discussion board where I read that all rolled their eyes and someone said "Hey, the backlash to the backlash has begun!"

:lol:

I saw that, too. They made it sound like both him and Ripley are crazypants at the best of times. :lol:

I think all people saying that the show should be closed are pretty wrong, but oh well... luckily I don't think it will be.

damon lindelof, one of the creators of LOST got in some hot water for this joke and later apologized.

I had no idea that the stuntman was so seriously injured. Bad taste. Honest regrets. And hoping for a speedy recovery.
41 minutes ago via TwitBird .

With great power, comes great respWAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGHSMASHCRASHKATHUMP!!!!!
2:45 PM Dec 21st via web

i read on broadway world that the actor has three fractured vertebrae and had to have back surgery :yikes:

if true, then that would be the end of his career!

rumour also has it that he was a dancer/actor, not a stuntman, and only trained up for the part... guess a fully trained stuntman would have been able to try and fall correctly/slow the fall and minimise injury at least...

rumour also has it that he was a dancer/actor, not a stuntman, and only trained up for the part... guess a fully trained stuntman would have been able to try and fall correctly/slow the fall and minimise injury at least...

If this person fell 30 feet and lived, then it sure sounds like he "fell/landed correctly". I think a fall like that could kill a lot of folks.

yep, that's true... especially when you think about it a fall from no height at all is bad enough...

jim sturgess article i just read...

You need only look at what An Education did for an unknown Carey Mulligan to see where Jim Sturgess might be headed. In 2011 he stars in the new film from Lone Scherfig, director of An Education. One Day is already being talked-up as a dead cert repeat of the award-magnet formula: adaptation of a smart, funny, much-loved Brit lit (in this case, David Nicholls's novel), with a star-making turn by a box-fresh young English actor. It's just one of a handful of top-drawer films Sturgess has trickling out: next up is the Boxing Day biggie, The Way Back, in which he lines up alongside Ed Harris and Colin Farrell as prisoners breaking out of a Russian gulag during the second world war.

The funny thing about Sturgess, now 29, is that he has already had a crack at the big time – a couple of years ago. It just wasn't to his liking. Rewind to 2007 when director Julie Taymor gave him an almighty break, as a mop-haired Liverpool shipyard worker in her sweetly uncynical Beatles-inspired musical, Across the Universe. Teenage girls in America were hopelessly devoted to the movie and for about five minutes Sturgess was the hot young Brit actor du jour – dish of the day. He thought he'd come home after shooting and life as an out-of-work actor would get back to normal. "But I had an American agent, and suddenly you're getting invited into this Hollywood world." He made a further two films almost immediately: The Other Boleyn Girl and 21, with Kevin Spacey. At this point the cheesy high school scripts were piling in, then came the golden ticket: he was offered the lead in the Spider-Man musical, directed by Taymor and with music written by Bono and the Edge from U2, which opens in February on Broadway.

Sturgess turned it all down. Why? Because none of it felt right. Which could sound a mite pretentious, but he tells the story matter-of-factly. "It was when 21 came out. I was in Los Angeles and my face was everywhere: on buses, on posters, on the side of buildings." Something didn't connect he says. "I didn't feel that blown away by it. I was still hungry to prove myself. I realised that quite quickly, that I had to find something that challenged me from an acting point of view." So instead of donning a superhero cape he made two British films that, as he says himself, got a bit lost: the IRA drama Fifty Dead Men Walking and Philip Ridley's East End gothic-horror Heartless.

Surely the lure of Hollywood pay cheques must have been tempting? "Certainly after 21 I was getting the opportunity to make a lot of money." Not that tempting, if he went and made Heartless instead? Sturgess cracks up. "Which I got paid nothing for. The budget of the entire film would probably have been my fee for the others."

The Way Back, though, is presumably exactly the kind of challenge he had in mind when he turned down the vampire-ate-my-boyfriend scripts. Directed by Peter Weir (his first film in seven years), it is an epic struggle for survival, with the escaped prisoners trekking a gruelling 4,500 miles to freedom: from frozen Siberia into Mongolia, across the Gobi desert, China and over the Himalayas. Final destination: India. Sturgess is a kind Polish officer, wrongly imprisoned for spying, whose boy scout know-how makes him an unlikely de facto leader.

He says he spent six months "fretting and waiting" before the shoot, powering through as many books as Weir could throw at him. He met Polish gulag survivors, learned how to skin rabbits and sundry survival skills that don't come naturally if you're from Farnham, Surrey. Is he outsdoorsy? "I'm more of a city person." He also had to lose weight – a stone came off before Weir gently reminded him he needed to look like he might survive. All told, he says he was over-ready when he turned up at the start of the four-month shoot. "I was wound tight. I felt the entire Polish history sitting on my shoulder – and I had to give it in one stare." Big grin. Filming started in Bulgaria, standing in for snowy Siberia.

His first couple of scenes are in Polish and for a minute or two it looks like he has done a Meryl Streep (who learned Polish to make Sophie's Choice). But, no, his character is arrested precisely because he knows foreign languages and the rest of the film is in English, which Sturgess speaks with an accent. (The "accent of doom" he says. "No one pulls one off.") Actually he's pretty convincing. Harris plays an American while Farrell is a Russian career criminal with a tattoo of Stalin on his chest and a murderous snarl. ("Less use than dog," he growls when their party picks up a waif-and-stray Polish girl.)

Weir nearly abandoned the film altogether when he heard about the real-or-fake controversy swirling around the book it's based on: The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz. The publicity material politely describes it as a novel, but it was published in 1956 as a memoir. Later, a Radio 4 documentary unearthed proof that Rawicz could not have escaped the gulag because he'd been freed by an amnesty. Now it's thought he might have hijacked another man's story. Sturgess says Weir did his own investigation, and found evidence that men had escaped from Siberia and made their way over the Himalayas. "He was so thrilled when he found that out, because he was like: now I can tell a fictional story but know that it happened. Everything he filled in was based on fact."

Sturgess first started acting in primary school – to the relief of his parents, happy he was concentrating on something, anything. By the time he was a teenager he was more interested in playing in bands, gigging at local pubs from 15 – "I looked about 13." After graduating with a media and performance degree at the University of Salford, he moved to London to act. He worked in a trainer shop in the West End of London until the drum'n'bass over the shop's PA started messing with his audition monologues. "It just sort of drilled all my lines out of me." He wound up in a band that spent four years nurturing their sound, picking up some music industry interest before imploding."Basically we blew it." On rock'n'roll-style hard living? "A bit of that, yeah. We were totally obnoxious. We thought we could control the situation and we couldn't. But we were close. So close." Now the idea of their fates being sealed with a record deal gives him the terrors. "I sweat about that a lot. I'm so glad it didn't happen." He still dabbles and his girlfriend plays keyboards with La Roux.

It was Sturgess's way around a guitar that got him his big break – that and the moptoppish looks. He auditioned for Across the Universe a month after his band broke up, unfazed by its premise: a 1960s-set musical about star-crossed lovers told through the medium of 33 Beatles songs. He played a young Liverpool welder who works his way to New York on a ship, and falls in love with an American girl (Evan Rachel Wood). It was a love-it-or-loathe-it film. "Joyous," wrote veteran critic Roger Ebert. "Idiotic," reckoned the Guardian.

But his upcoming projects will surely be generating smiles all around: One Day and a love story with Kirsten Dunst. He was meant to be working with Michael Winterbottom next, on a film set in the run-up to the partition of Palestine in 1948. But – and no surprise here – it has hit funding problems. Now, his people must have been telling him to steer clear of this one? "I was hugely advised to not go down that road."

And what of that Spider-Man musical? "I just didn't fancy being strung up, hanging for 10 minutes above the audience," Sturgess says. He admits he had nagging doubts. Musical theatre just isn't his bag and he was nervous about spending a year singing someone else's songs – even Bono's. Instead, why not let Taymor give another actor the kind of life-changing opportunity she had given him with Across the Universe. "It just wasn't my calling." Really, wasn't it all just a bit too commercial? He gives in with another huge grin: "Yes. I didn't want the words Spider-Man attached to my name in any shape or form. Especially a singing one."

Two notes: Spider-Man doesn't wear a cape foolish journalist. That, and he was worried about singing someone else's songs? This from the man who starred in Across the Universe?

Well, spending a year singing someone else's songs. He said musical theater wasn't his bag - it's quite different spending a year doing it on Broadway as opposed to a few months filming a movie.

I can't fault him for just plumb not wanting to do a Spiderman musical.

I'm not criticizing him for turning it down, though I'd rather see him in the part than Carney, just saying that logic (as it was stated in the article) didn't hold much water.

You know that these recent injuries are a big story when even my very old fashioned 80 year old grandmother was commenting about it at Christmas.

yeah, and it sounds like the injuries are much much worse than initially claimed...

‘Spider-Man’ Actor Was Fortunate to Survive, Father Says
By PATRICK HEALY

The injuries suffered by Christopher Tierney in “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” could have been far worse if he had not tucked his body and rolled sideways midair as he fell more than 20 feet at Monday’s performance, doctors have told his family. “My understanding is that Chris is fortunate to be alive,” Mr. Tierney’s father, Timothy Tierney, said in a telephone interview on Sunday.

In the fullest accounting yet of the accident and injuries, Mr. Tierney’s father said that his son, a 31-year-old actor and veteran dancer, was falling headfirst but managed to land on his right side in the basement below the stage at the Foxwoods Theater. That is where he plummeted midperformance when a safety tether to his harness malfunctioned during an acrobatic maneuver. He sustained a hairline fracture in his skull, a broken scapula, a broken bone close to his elbow, four broken ribs, a bruised lung and three fractured vertebrae, his father said. Mr. Tierney is one of several performers who play Spider-Man during stunt sequences.

After back surgery on Wednesday, Mr. Tierney took his first steps on Friday with the aid of a brace and a walker. He remains in the intensive care unit at Bellevue Hospital Center, his father said; family members had hoped to move him back to their home in New Hampshire for rehabilitation, but he is to remain in New York City. Doctors will decide on Monday whether to begin rehab therapy this week.

Timothy Tierney said doctors were “cautiously optimistic” that his son would eventually resume his performing career. “If they’d had to fuse Chris’s vertebrae during surgery, that would have just been very awkward for dancing, because his mobility would have been restricted,” he said. “Fortunately, they did not have to fuse. The doctors have some pins in his body and rods in his body for now to hold everything together, but a great deal of this is about self-healing, and time.

“We just feel very blessed that Chris is alive and well, and thank goodness that he knew enough to roll onto his right side and land that way rather than land on his head or back,” Mr. Tierney continued. “Some people fall from a lesser height than Chris and suffer more damage, even fatal damage.”

“Spider-Man” — the most expensive (at $65 million) and the most technically complex show ever on Broadway, with 38 flying and acrobatic sequences that require safety harnesses and wires — canceled two performances on Wednesday after Mr. Tierney’s accident, the fourth injury to a “Spider-Man” actor during rehearsals or performances since September. At the direction of state and federal workplace safety inspectors, the producers put in a place a new safety plan that involves more backstage crew members rigging up the actors for stunt maneuvers. “Spider-Man” performances resumed on Thursday night.

Timothy Tierney said his son did not assign any blame for his fall and was not considering a lawsuit. “Chris told me that the word ‘accident’ was invented for a reason, and this was an accident, pure and simple,” Mr. Tierney said. “He’s just chomping at the bit to return to dancing, to go back to ‘Spider-Man.’ He loves this production so much. I haven’t had a chance to see it, but we have tickets for opening night. It looks like Chris will be in the audience with us that night, and we’ll be glad to have him there.”

'Spider-Man' Actor Was Fortunate to Survive, Father Says - NYTimes.com

"Timothy Tierney said his son did not assign any blame for his fall and was not considering a lawsuit. “Chris told me that the word ‘accident’ was invented for a reason, and this was an accident, pure and simple,” Mr. Tierney said. “He’s just chomping at the bit to return to dancing, to go back to ‘Spider-Man.’ He loves this production so much. I haven’t had a chance to see it, but we have tickets for opening night. It looks like Chris will be in the audience with us that night, and we’ll be glad to have him there.”

And he wants to return to the show, thats one dedicated dancer.

Woooow. I'm assuming she has an alternate/understudy who will go on in her place? (I only skimmed the article, sorry.)

Otherwise, I guess that means yet another delay.

^^ yes, I just read this....man, this poor show can't seem to catch a break. Does any one know when our boys are due in for rewrites? After New Year?

I saw Spiderman in NYC 2 nights ago just after the blizzard. Theater was sold out and mostly full despite the weather.

Natalie Mendoza was replaced by an understudy - who was awesome. And Reeve Carney was out as well - so an understudy filled his role - also excellent.

The plot needs work, especially the 2nd act.

The music borders on good for many of the songs to great for Boy Falls from the Sky and Rise Above - and one more song in the 1st act that was amazing (don't know the name). Many of the riffs sound like U2 - for the U2 fans seeing this, you will hear a lot of familiar sounds/riffs/chord progressions

A few overt U2 references throughout the show
1) MJ is an actress in a musical called "The Fly,"

2) Bullies beating up Peter say they will make it a "Sunday Bloody Sunday" for him

3) "New Years Day" played in the background for 10 seconds during a scene when a car is driving blaring music from its stereo.

The stunts were amazing. Jaw dropping. Like nothing I have ever seen - even Cique du Soleil. Same with the sets and the new stage built specially for the show.

No stoppages during our show and the actors were all excellent. It went off without a hitch just 1 week after Chris Tierney almost died in that ill fated performance.

Reeve Carney's brother plays guitar on the side of the stage for the whole show - and he even plays Edge's signature Gibson Explorer and did an awesome job.

The adults in the audience generally liked didnt love the show but every kid in there seemed to love it. It's too scary/violent for kids under 7 or 8, but for older kids and young teens, it's a fun show.

If you go, best seats are Flying Circle - first 3 to 7 rows only - or side balconies. Orchestra seats are too low relative to most of the action

I usually detest musical theater so I only saw this because of Bono and the Edge. I've been humming a few of the tunes since and will buy the cast recording if it ever comes out (ie, if the show survives the "Want It To Fail" attitude of the critics coupled with the accidents)

I was half expecting to see Bono or Edge there since a number of press "reviews" have pointed out that their help will be needed to re-craft the 2nd act to make it more clear. I'd be surprised if we didnt see them in NYC at the shows and behind the scenes shortly after the New Year.

They're still in previews - the actual opening got delayed until February, and only a few preview shows were cancelled or postponed until they got the safety thing figured out.

That's how I understood it.

They're still in previews - the actual opening got delayed until February, and only a few preview shows were cancelled or postponed until they got the safety thing figured out.

That's how I understood it.

Oh... I thought because of the injury and actress leaving that the previews had stopped.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom