SPIDER-MAN Turn Off The Dark (u2.com email)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GretzkyU2Yanks

Acrobat
Tickets for the Broadway production of 'SPIDER-MAN Turn Off The Dark', with new songs written by Bono and The Edge, are set to go on sale on June 24th. You are invited to participate in a special presale starting today.

The new production, staged by award-winning director Julie Taymor (The Lion King, Across the Universe), begins at Broadway's Hilton Theatre on January 16, 2010.

Drawing on over 40 years of comics, co-book writers Taymor and Glen Berger spin a spectacular new take on the mythic adventure that's familiar and fresh yet filled with unexpected twists and turns. Highlighted by visual effects, flying, stunts and breathtaking designs from an international team of artists from Broadway, Cirque du Soleil, the Beijing Olympics and the Spider-Man films. It also marks the Broadway debut of Bono and The Edge who have composed the music and written the lyrics for 'SPIDER-MAN Turn Off The Dark'.

Now through June 23, you can get advance tickets when using any American Express® Card to purchase. Tickets available to all American Express Cardmembers on June 24.

Now let's see if Bono can talk Larry into recording this as U2. :hyper:

so there is a presale code in the email for tickets that works now, but you need the code and need to use an AMEX card. the code isnt member specific, but I dont know if its my place to post. I'll let somebody else do it.

prices in US$ and of course there are ticketbastard fees on top (7.50 per for the $95 tickets, didnt check the rest)

$135
orchesta row B (which is actually the 5th row--AA, BB, CC, A, B) and back
1st balcony anywhere (called the flying circle for this show or dress circle for generic)

$95
2nd balcony rows A through C

$80
2nd balcony rows D through F

$67.50
2nd balcony rows G and H

tickets are a little cheaper for each level for a weekday matinee show

Please do not post the code. It'll get out there soon enough, and it is only fair that people who have actually purchased a membership get a window to buy.

thanks

I wish I could see that :|
Maybe it will tour after playing on Broadway for a while.

And yes, a U2 album with the songs would be great :up:

Reeeally hope we get a U2 recording out of this. If Boy Falls From the Sky really is Beach Clip 402, I already love it. :drool:

:ohmy:

Where does this information/speculation thing come from...?

Well the chorus in BC 402, it's pretty clear that Bono sings "a boy falls from the sky". It's a great song, and I've found that over the last couple years I get it stuck in my head often just like any other u2 song. I'm going to be really surprised if this doesn't turn out to be the song and he's singing something completely different!

:yes: some really gorgeous soaring vocals by Bono on there, which is why it will be a shame if we never get this song released by U2. It will be great to find out if it is BFFTS, but I want it with U2 performing!

By the way, have we heard any more on the names of the songs yet. This is all I know of so far:

Rise Above
Boy Falls From The Sky
Turn Off The Dark
Bouncing Off The Walls
Bullying By Numbers
Pull The Trigger
If The World Should End

all of them by U2?

Well Bono and Edge yes, no mention of Larry or Adam as far as I know. Bono and Edge introduced and played these songs (recordings, not themselves) at a Spiderman preview (in March).

(An 8th song was played but didn't catch the name)

I don't think it's a U2 project, it's a Bono and Edge (side)project. Didn't they also say in an interview that Larry and Adam didn't even know anything about this project?

I'm fine with it as long as Bono isn't climbing up the towers of the Claw in a Spiderman costume.

Yeah the email came from u2.com

Hm, perhaps they're doing a delayed email according to when you signed up, sorta like the tour presale...though I doubt they would anticipate similarly high demand.

If not I'll have to check my communications prefs and see if I've opted out of promo emails.

I really want to see clips of this, to see how the hell they are pulling this off...

Not clips, but some more info about what they're planning. They showed a video to the audience at the Tony Awards dress rehearsal on Sunday (not televised). Here's the article:

People in attendance of Sunday afternoon's full dress rehearsal of the 2009 Tony Awards got an unexpected video preview of the planned 2010 Broadway musical Spider-Man: Turn of the Dark, which will be directed by Julie Taymor (The Lion King) with a score by U2's Bono and The Edge.

In a segment that apparently was not aired during the live television broadcast Sunday evening, interview footage of Taymor, Bono, and the Edge was shown on Radio City Music Hall's giant video screens.

Newsarama contributor Michael Avila, who attends the dress rehearsal annually with his wife Cindi, picks up the story from there...

"So during the down time in what will be the commercial breaks, they run various video clips, Avila writes on his Popzone blog. "Some are old TV spots for long-forgotten Broadway shows like Timbuktu. Others are promos for upcoming shows. Imagine my fanboy surprise when an image of Spider-Man showed up on the massive Radio City screens.

"Then they played a montage reel that showed Bono, Edge, and Taymor discussing the show and what they plan/hope it will be. They had video of actors in harnesses flying through the air on wires, along with some special effects that looked to be in the early stages. There was also a shot of a drawing of Spidey's Rogue's Gallery, featuring familiar faces such as Electro, Carnage and Sandman."

Avila goes on to summarize what little information exists about the show's book (Broadway terminology for script/storyline) or casting, other than it will involve the 'With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility' angle and that actress Evan Rachel Wood has done some public campaigning for the role of Mary Jane. But what details could be gleamed from the footage?

"For one, it looks to have visual effects unlike anything Broadway's ever seen (makes sense, with the estimated $40 million price tag)," writes Avila. "There were two shots shown (one of which I caught in a pic) that featured these effects.

"More important, I glimpsed one guy flying around with some kind of wingspan, not in any way resembling how Spidey would look web-swinging around town. My first instinct was this was a look at one of the villains in the show.

"The Vulture, maybe? Morbius?? The Green Goblin perhaps, although it did not look like someone sitting on any type of Glider."

"Obviously this is all speculation, but I can certainly picture a story that includes several familiar foes tackling Webhead on stage," concludes the accidental spy. "Regardless, this is one of the more fascinating events to appear on the pop culture radar in some time, because of the sheer risk involved. I can easily see this being either a tremendous success or a humongous flop."

Check out Avila's blog for this full account of the story, along with a few more photos taken from his iPhone from the Radio City mezzanine.

Newsarama.com : Tony's Rehearsal Gives Surprise Spidey on Broadway Preview

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom