Songs We Never Talk About

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would love to hear these songs. I've never even heard of some of them. I guess I've been living underground.

Also, is there a version of Wild Irish Rose available anywhere without Bono talking over the third verse?

Thanks,
LAFS

Here's a copy of Wild Irish Rose edited to remove the talking. Fantastic edit - I just wish I could remember who did it. It was someone on Interference; maybe rivergoat?

Anyway, as it's not a song that's ever been officially released, this link should be OK with the mods: http://www.send space.com/file/k1qq6l

Varitek, I'll e-mail you the songs soon.

hillers said:
Heartland :drool:

Some of these may not be underrated, I'm not sure.

Yeah, you wouldn't be saying Heartland's under-rated if you'd seen the appreciation thread! It ran to 500+ posts, then a subsequent two have about 200-250 posts between them. We love our Heartland, or at least postwhores like I do. :wink:

Axver, I must be doing something wrong because the link did not work. Is there an underscore in the URL?

Thanks

las61054 said:
Axver, I must be doing something wrong because the link did not work. Is there an underscore in the URL?

Thanks

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention that you need to remove the gap between 'send' and 'space' so that it's one word. Interference's built-in censor deletes the URL if I post it without inserting that gap.

Enjoy. :)

I definitely consider Wild Irish Rose to be one of U2's top ten songs. It's criminal that it never received a proper release.

Obvious connection...U2 plays these songs more often, we talk about them more often.

That's what strikes me most about this thread is that a vast majority of the songs mentioned in the first page they just don't play anymore. New York was the most recent song played on tour that was mentioned on page 1.

Seriously, I hope when U2 and Pearl Jam met up on the tour finale in Hawaii that the bug rubbed off onto our guys to play deeper into their catalog. I like to read PJ's forums a little, not a whole lot but PJ at least have the balls to rehearse and suprise the crowds with deep cuts at such random times.

I think the stage U2 is at, I hope we've seen the maturization of their latest Pop-radio attack with ATYCLB and the Bomb, and they take PJ's cue, and just let it all out. They've hit the $$$ jackpot soooo many times and I think we can all agree that we'd love to see them play what's in their HEARTS and TALENTS, not what the label burned onto the U218 Singles disc. Let's hear One Tree Hill more than once in 20 years- they know the freakin song after, what, a few weeks back on the road on the last leg? They can still make the big bucks and reach a point where they shouldn't have to satisfy the casual fan to death by stagnant setlists and selective memory of albums pasts.

That's all I want to rant for now :wink:

I really like Summer Rain too, you're right it doesn't get talked about nearly enough. It does have a summery tinge to it, plus melodically its really interesting. Love that lyric where Bono sings 'Just as you find me, always I will be a little bit too free with myself'. It's so true.

last unicorn said:
That's true about the Slane version of Sort of Homecoming. Why am I not surprised that Bono messed up the lyrics? I have the live version, and although it isn't great, I still find it kind of touching to listen to that song performed in Slane.

But I prefer the album version over every live version I've heard so far of this song. I just don't feel it as a live song.

Where can I get the Slane version, unicorn?

AND thanks for your answers, gman, axver, sad punk.

blm said:

Where can I get the Slane version, unicorn?

A Sort Of Homecoming from Slane:

http://w w w. wikifortio. com/468133/A_Sort_of_Homecoming_2001-08-25_Slane_Castle_2001

(Since the computer I'm currently working on seems to block uploads to S F and Co., I have to use this, but it should work fine)

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Is this a joke?

If you are trying to take a jab at me, I put the words "obvious connection" in front of my comment. It was bothering me so much while reading everyone's post just how many of the songs that were mentioned had not been played in so long.

Did you read the rest of my post?

Devils Shoes started this thread about what songs deserve more praise. I think U2 should praise their own library of music by visiting it more than the usual 20-25 songs throughout a single tour, give or take a few songs. Its as if they don't recognize their own greatness when they originated many of the masterpieces so many people in this thread named.

Yes, the first remark was tongue in cheek, but I had a point and thought I hit on it later in the original post.

Last edited:
mofo82 said:

If you are trying to take a jab at me, I put the words "obvious connection" in front of my comment. It was bothering me so much while reading everyone's post just how many of the songs that were mentioned had not been played in so long.

It wasn't a jab, I was seriously asking because I wasn't sure what you were getting at with that comment... Sorry about the confusion.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It wasn't a jab, I was seriously asking because I wasn't sure what you were getting at with that comment... Sorry about the confusion.

My bad. It's just that I've seen some good topics go bad. I wasn't tryin to be nasty in my reply. I like this particular thread cus I've been listening to PJ alot lately and I don't think their fans have the same droughts in variety.

Plus, I just watched the Popmart extras dvd last night. The documentary where Dallas is followed around and Paul M. talks with the show lighting engineer really opened my eyes to how predictable and coordinated U2's shows HAVE to be for their crews to know when to cue up what bells and whistles. I wish they would continue to really strip down everything that HAS to coordinate a particular video or prop like the lemon to eventually get to the point where the shows could dictate themselves without the same script months at a time.

Popmart to Elevation to Vertigo has seen that happen and hopefully by the next tour the band will have grown to have more faith in the less radio-friendly songs. It's a matter of them letting go of the notion that the album and tours have to be so freakin perfect that there can't be exceptions. Then, maybe we can get a few gems like 'Heartland' or 'Acrobat' finally. :drool:

^ Don't think this will happen. The last two tours and especially the Vertigo tour are - at least for me - a very good example that the band can balance the logistical and technological challenge that comes with such a production with an amount of intimacy and emphasis on the music that makes the band, in my eyes, really unique. I missed that about PopMart, because it was so uber-technological, too much, too big, too much logistics, choreography and not enough space for spontaneity - but with the Vertigo tour, I think they almost got there. And they really had a good combination of old and new songs, "radio friendly"/well known stuff and maybe stuff that wasn't exactly expected and turned out to be a great surprise. U2 appeals to a larger audience than just die hard fans who have endless illusions about what they should and shouldn't play. We've had this discussion over and over again.

You know, if each song's graphics are self-contained, then I don't see why technology is that much of a problem as you should just be able to shuffle the order. One night, songs A, B, C, D, E, F, G. Next night, B, G, H, C, A, I, E. All the people need to know is that "tonight, G follows B rather than F". I can only see a problem if the graphics are such that B can only follow A and C can only follow B, etc., but simply by avoiding that necessity, technology and variety cease to be in conflict.

Axver said:
You know, if each song's graphics are self-contained, then I don't see why technology is that much of a problem as you should just be able to shuffle the order. One night, songs A, B, C, D, E, F, G. Next night, B, G, H, C, A, I, E. All the people need to know is that "tonight, G follows B rather than F". I can only see a problem if the graphics are such that B can only follow A and C can only follow B, etc., but simply by avoiding that necessity, technology and variety cease to be in conflict.

I completely agree with you Axver. The graphics, lighting and extras really shouldn't get in the way of a spontaneous show. By the way thanks for the links to those rarities.

Anyways, here's some of their songs I think could use some more praise, maybe get thrown into the live stuff:
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Heartland
One Step Closer
Even Better than the Real Thing (seems to get trashed alot here on the forum)
The Wanderer
Fire
I Threw A Brick...In my opinion Larry's best drumming

What about "Van Dieman's Land"? I love that song. The Edge has a great voice.

last unicorn said:

A Sort Of Homecoming from Slane:

http://w w w. wikifortio. com/468133/A_Sort_of_Homecoming_2001-08-25_Slane_Castle_2001

(Since the computer I'm currently working on seems to block uploads to S F and Co., I have to use this, but it should work fine)

Thank you so much unicorn- you're a doll!!!!

las61054 said:
What about "Van Dieman's Land"? I love that song. The Edge has a great voice.

OK, you have the album sleeve, how hard is it to spell Van Diemen's Land right?

Seriously, as a more general comment, I just don't get some of the title misspellings that go on around here. We all have looked at the track titles at least once to find out the song names and U2 don't have especially difficult titles, so I don't understand how hard it can possibly be to get the spelling right! I've seen everything from "Discotech" to "Wake Up Deadmen" around here. :huh:

Oops, and here I was trying to make sure I spelled the name of the country right. :huh: I didn't have the song title in front of me.

Thanks for keeping me straight Axver

I can not BELIEVE the following have not been mentioned:

If You Wear That Velvet Dress - Easily the most sexual thing they've ever recorded. Such an atmospheric song, all dressed up in purple. The band trashed it in U2 by U2, but I can't disagree with them more. Didn't care for the live version, but the "Pop" version is pure sexual bliss. Incredible.

Do You Feel Loved? = Runner up for most sexual song ever. You can practically hear the alcohol/chemically inspired sex taking place in this song. Not only that, but the lyrics are ace. "And it looks like the sun, but it feels like the rain." That line perfectly sums up an empty one night stand.

And, echoing coolian2, "If God Will Send His Angels" is perhaps one of the most beautiful ballads that the band has written. This one is a real gem.

And an honorable mention to "The Wanderer", which is one of my favorite Bono lyrics to date.

Back
Top Bottom