Songs U2 need to Bring back on 360 Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I fully approve of this development. :drool::drool::drool:
(Better yet, this could very well happen, as Willie seems to be really good at selling the band on completely insane ideas...remember when he wrote about trying to get them to play Mercy?)

Quote from Willie's Diay:

'I talked with the band this week about that particular moment in the show and what we might do to complete it. They threw some ideas around including reviving a short section of Your Blue Room. I thought this had potential, as I felt that the reason Your Blue Room didn't survive in the 2009 show was not that it wasn't good but that it was simply too long to hold attention in a stadium. A minute-long snippet might therefore be worth a look.'

It seems Willie and the band are thinking the same thing as us :lol:

By the way I also have to point out that Willie now uses the word 'snippet' and has informally credited Ax and U2gigs. I wouldn't be surprised if he knows about this website also.

I sort of have ideas of how the YBR snippet during MS > COBL can be pulled off. After the end of Miss Sarajevo, the organ loop at the start of YBR can play while the questions are heard and the screen expands - which I think that's what they're up to. And from there COBL (in it's original key) begins. Or, Bono will sing a minute of Your Blue Room as the screen expands. We'll just have to wait. Should be interesting if they go along with this.

pepokiss said:
yesterday I had a day dream of U2 opening with LADY WITH THE SPINNING HEAD (Extended dance mix) and it was glorious!!! :drool:

I imagined EVERYTHING, every step, every light... do you want me to write it down for you? :hyper:

I have no idea why they don't mix this and Discotheque into Crazy Tonight instead of dumping ice water onto us immediately afterwards with Sunday Bloody Sunday.

:larry: NO MORE FUN FOR YOU, ONE YEAR.

Meh, YBR was fun to see the first time live because it was a rare rarity. It killed the mood in the stadium worse than IALW.

I'm not sure why they'd want to chop it up and toss it in after Miss Sarajevo.

Fez/ Zooropa was an awesome transition but should have been complete with Being Born.

By the way I also have to point out that Willie now uses the word 'snippet' and has informally credited Ax and U2gigs. I wouldn't be surprised if he knows about this website also.
Maybe we'll have a Fake Willie Williams to go along with Fake Edge...

I think them accepting that YBR didn't work in stadiums is good. So they have the desire to work these sorts of things into their setlists and for it to best work they need to play arenas.

Should make a comeback: POP stuff (Mofo and Gone mainly but LNOE, Please and DYFL wouldn't hurt either) - Zooropa stuff (Stay - DIGPFYCC)
Should add: some more NLOTH (NLOTH, FBB)
Should definitely keep at least on March 30th: UV (I NEED to hear this one live)
Would love to see dropped: BD - COBL

Should make a comeback: POP stuff (Mofo and Gone mainly but LNOE, Please and DYFL wouldn't hurt either) - Zooropa stuff (Stay - DIGPFYCC)
Should add: some more NLOTH (NLOTH, FBB)
Should definitely keep at least on March 30th: UV (I NEED to hear this one live)
Would love to see dropped: BD - COBL

BD and COBL will NEVER go anywhere. Don't get your hopes up.

Yeah, while COBL is pretty much a lock, BD is as untouchable as Streets at this point. It's a staple for their concert. There's plenty of material that can/will eventually be dropped, and that's not it.

I love BD, I just hope they move it somewhere else. Time for a new opener.
Yep, pretty much this. If we don't get a new album in May, I think Stingray > NLOTH > IWF would be cool (it's not going to happen, of course, but it would be cool.)

I say bury BD deep into the setlist and surprise people. But BD does have a "new beginning" type feel to it, thus its always in the first 4-5 songs.

I say bury BD deep into the setlist and surprise people. But BD does have a "new beginning" type feel to it, thus its always in the first 4-5 songs.
Personally, I liked its spot in the 2009 setlists...not too early, but still in the first quarter of the show.

The reason they used BD as an opener in 2010 is because it is easily one of their most recognizable and popular songs. They wanted to pump people up right at the start of their concert and then keep that adrenaline rush going all the way until the killjoy of IALW>MS.

But the thing that the band doesn't realize is....they are U2!! People are gonna be pumped up to see them NO MATTER WHAT. Really hope they have a different and better opener this time around though.

I get that logic, but while I like BD just fine, it does not really fit the bill for "pumping people up." Yeah, everyone recognizes it, but aside from an occasional burst of musical energy, it's actually kind of low key.

If they really were going for that, they should start with Elevation (god forbid) - that sucker gets the place jumping like nobody's business.

Plus, then we'd get it out of the way and can get on with the good stuff. :wink:

Yeah a high burst of energy like Elevation would be a better opener. Maybe Mysterious Ways?

Beautiful Day fits into the encore better than it fits as an opener IMO.

The reason they used BD as an opener in 2010 is because it is easily one of their most recognizable and popular songs. They wanted to pump people up right at the start of their concert and then keep that adrenaline rush going all the way until the killjoy of IALW>MS.

But the thing that the band doesn't realize is....they are U2!! People are gonna be pumped up to see them NO MATTER WHAT. Really hope they have a different and better opener this time around though.

Pretty close to my feelings, though I do think that 2009 proved they cant just open with anything and expect people to be pumped up.

They could definitely find a better opener than BD but that plus IWF and some other high energy staples pushes right to the front did add a whole lot of energy to 2010 as compared to 2009.5 songs before the casuals get into the show was way too much. Then they compounded the problem by playing songs like UC, YBR and acoustic Stuck afterwards.

They seemed to have learned that lesson!

Since it's impossible that they decide to drop BD once and for all maybe it's a good thing it's the opener so we can get over with it as quickly as possible. I just can't understand why U2 make a point of playing their lamest songs every single tour. Besides that this is supposed to be the tour for NLOTH. We're getting only 4 NLOTH songs among which 2 of the worst on the album (GOYB and Crazy) and 4 songs off ATYCLB which c'mon guys it's far from being their best OR a classic album.

Since it's impossible that they decide to drop BD once and for all maybe it's a good thing it's the opener so we can get over with it as quickly as possible. I just can't understand why U2 make a point of playing their lamest songs every single tour. Besides that this is supposed to be the tour for NLOTH. We're getting only 4 NLOTH songs among which 2 of the worst on the album (GOYB and Crazy) and 4 songs off ATYCLB which c'mon guys it's far from being their best OR a classic album.

Well calling it one of their lamest songs is where most people will disagree with you.

Although I agree about the NLOTH part.

I do enjoy Beautiful Day live, and you have to admit, Elevation is a fantastic song to play in a live stadium with 80,000 plus people jumping up and down to it.

But Walk On, IALW, and (god forbid) Stuck In A Moment (acoustic) need to be put down for the next three tours. I was praying that IALW would be replaced with Stay or Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World after the '09 leg, but that never happened. And I was hoping that Walk On would leave after Suu Kyi got released, but that didn't happen either.

If they're gonna play four songs off an older album every night, that album should be Unforgettable Fire, Boy, or War.

Well calling it one of their lamest songs is where most people will disagree with you.

I know. But I still think that it ties COBL for the title of U2's lamest ever.

I do enjoy Beautiful Day live, and you have to admit, Elevation is a fantastic song to play in a live stadium with 80,000 plus people jumping up and down to it.

I can see why they want to play Elevation and Vertigo live and I agree that they do pump things up, but with these two we have more than enough from the lame category. I mean they're leaving out real classics like Stay, Bad, New Year's Day or The Fly, we aren't getting a single song off Pop or Zooropa and even if I love Until The End Of The World and Mysterious Ways is good we could do with some rotation from AB (maybe EBTTRT for a change and UV a permanent addition). It's an oxymoron that they should hit the road with an avant-garde montage to play a conservative "greatest hits" set. U2 are getting lazy with their setlists.

Yes they are getting lazy.

And I agree with you on the Achtung Baby stuff. EBTTRT should be rotational with Mysterious Ways every night and The Fly should rotate with UTEOTW. Also, Ultraviolet as a permanent encore slot would be fantastic. Personally, I think they should bring back HMTMKMKM > UV every single night.

But Walk On, IALW, and (god forbid) Stuck In A Moment (acoustic) need to be put down for the next three tours. I was praying that IALW would be replaced with Stay or Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World after the '09 leg, but that never happened. And I was hoping that Walk On would leave after Suu Kyi got released, but that didn't happen either.

If they're gonna play four songs off an older album every night, that album should be Unforgettable Fire, Boy, or War.

This:up:

BD, I was slow to accept for damn sure, but it really has grown me and I have to put it in the same category as any other U2 classic.

It really is an ace song, far from lame.

However, there is no excuse for the continuation of ATYCLB and slow, mood killing song overload.

The next few shows are what will really tell all. If they can't shake it up with 3 nights in the same city, then I've lost a bit of faith in them for sure.

If we're going to do an all back catalog set for the first time in forever, let's go all the way and dig up some true gems from Boy, War, UF, JT and AB. 1 each from Zooropa and Pop rotated in wouldn't kill anyone either. ATYCLB was great, we get it, but really, it has run its course on this tour and then some.

To add to that, I'd feel as though if they'd waited another five or so years and made songs like Walk On a bit more exclusive, they'd maybe be cool to see live.

Just seems to me that it's a song with some meaning but you beat down the meaning so hard when you overplay it, especially considering it's relatively boring.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom