Songs of Surrender - New album discussion - 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was really hoping we’d see an announcement of this soon. U2songs seemed confident that we were only a few weeks away from an announcement about a month ago. Would be nice to see a track list, artwork etc.

I think it'll be a while yet. September or October. The SOE track list and artwork came out like a month before the album.

Well they better put down the forks and get an album ready for 2023. Get on board and ride this wave of momentum.

Headache being negative of U2? I thought that never happened!

joke-seinfeld.gif

Some interesting bits from the U2songs article about Songs of Surrender and the new album - not necessarily new, but the article was updated, so it’s nice to have it together:

Songs of Surrender
Expected Date: November 18, 2022

This album has not been officially announced, although it has been spoken about in a number of interviews given by the band in recent years.

We are told that an album of 40 older U2 songs, reinvented by U2 during the lock down, will be released this November.

We have been told that an edited compilation of 14-15 of these songs may also be made available at this time.

The collection is rumoured to be called Songs of Surrender

We are told that U2 have worked with some of their original producers on recreation of the songs.

Unnamed new album:
Expected Date: March, 2023

This project has not been officially announced.
We have been told that U2 have been working on an album of new material.

Rumours shared with us suggest this follow-up to Songs of Surrender would be scheduled for a release in March 2023.

This album will also likely have a title which starts with “Songs Of…” but is unlikely to be Songs of Ascent – it appears U2 have been developing a second project instead. See below for more information about Songs of Ascent and where it stands.

The band was recently working on this album in the early months of 2022 in California, and the album is said to be “substantially complete”.

Rumours from tour crew suggest a tour may start for this new album next June, but it has been made clear that this is dependent on how things progress with COVID over the months to come.

2023 Tour:
U2 will be the first group to perform at the MSG Sphere at The Venetian in Las Vegas when the $1.8 billion arena opens next year, multiple sources tell Billboard.

The performances will be the first dates of a multi-show residency by the band at the high-tech arena, which is being built by Madison Square Garden Entertainment chairman James Dolan near the Venetian off the Las Vegas Strip.

Officials with MSGE describe the MSG Sphere at The Venetian as the next generation of live entertainment, offering fans a multi-sensory experience of sound and light inside the largest spherical structure ever created. For concerts, the MSG Sphere at The Venetian can hold 20,000 standing spectators or 17,500 seated guests, with 23 VIP suites.

The Sphere will include 160,000 square feet of video viewing space (Sphere officials describe the technology as “interior immersive display”), state-of-the-art spatial audio and an exterior exosphere that changes the building’s look via fully programmable LED technology. It will connect to the Venetian Resort via an approximately 1,000-foot-long pedestrian bridge.

U2’s concerts at the venue will be part of a residency that will be spread out over several months and be performed on non-consecutive days.

If that rumour is true, we would have had:

Songs of Innocence
Songs of Experience
Songs of Surrender
Songs of (?Resistance?)
Songs of Ascent

I just don’t know what to say…

Regardless of the continuation of “Songs of…”, love that the rumor mill is heating up again. Vegas in 2023, huh?

Vegas residency is pretty much the nail in the coffin, huh.

Guy Oseary = Colonel Tom Parker

Bono can begin his final metamorphosis into Fat Elvis. He probably was persuaded to make this deal when they showed him their new All You Can Eat Buffet plans.

Ignoring everything else, a Vegas residency aligned with the opening of a theatre is great news for those wanting new music. Vegas is famously the site of the Pop fiasco where they swore they’d never book a tour until the album was done ever again. I think it bodes well for the March plans that this is a solid rumour.

Vegas residency is pretty much the nail in the coffin, huh.

Guy Oseary = Colonel Tom Parker

Bono can begin his final metamorphosis into Fat Elvis. He probably was persuaded to make this deal when they showed him their new All You Can Eat Buffet plans.

Oh give me a break

Actual current relevant acts with songs on the charts today have Vegas residencies now.

It's not 1997 anymore.

For those who don't know anything about MSG Sphere, it's supposed to be the most technologically advanced concert venue ever created. It's being built behind the Venitian, just off the Strip, by the Madison Square Garden Company. More or less the entire wall of the arena - inside and out - is a gigantic 16k LED screen.

This thing screams U2.

https://youtu.be/33zQjAWN9FE

It’s massive – over 500 feet wide and 300 feet tall, making it the world’s tallest spherical structure.

The exterior is going to be wrapped in one giant screen that you can see from space. They’ll even have a neat camera trick that will make it seem like you can “see through” the structure to the other side.

Inside, you’re surrounded by 775 tons of steel. It will hold a giant 16k LED screen that starts from behind your seat and goes from side to side. The idea is that you’re completely immersed in the media playing on it.

There will be haptic seats plus the ability to manipulate wind, temperature, and smell. Imagine Disney’s Soarin’ to the extreme and with 20 years of newer technology.

There will also be 164,000 speakers with beamform technology, which directs sound to individual seats. MSG tells me each seat that has the tech will sound like your own personal studio.

MSG-Sphere-at-The-Venetion-2019-billboard-1548.jpg

MSG-Sphere-Exterior.jpg

msg-sphere-las-vegas.jpg

images

Also:

U2’s concerts at the venue will be part of a residency that will be spread out over several months and be performed on non-consecutive days.

This makes it sound like they'll be able to jet set to other cities between Vegas dates for promo and other tour dates. Bodes well for not "replacing a tour" like some have worried about, and possibly sets up the opportunity to play themed/album/era centric shows.

I'm definitely going to try to get out to Vegas to see one or two.

Agree that this is a tech play which is cool and I’ll want to see it.

Any new music isn’t going to excite people so they’ll run with the tech story. See also: 360 Tour.

I also agree that it wouldn’t have happened without Guy Oseary. There are three major rock acts that have done Vegas residencies: Elton John, Axl Rose & Co (GNR pre-reunion) and Aerosmith.

Elton is a legend, untouchable, with a history of camp perfect for Vegas.

GNR was Axl with a bunch of ringers.

Aerosmith is cheesy and past their prime.

Ask yourself: Where does U2 fit in?

If this is messaged correctly, it HAHAHAH we all know that’s not going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom