Songs of Innocence downloaded 26 million times, 81 million 'experienced' songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
--1florida georgia linerepublic nashville200,496--
anything goes
12jason aldeanbroken bow91,870 -67%
old boots, new dirt
--3bob segercapitol56,932--
ride out
--4you+merca49,170--
rose ave
35barbra streisandcolumbia41,030 -14%
partners
96sam smithcapitol37,095+52%
in the lonely hour
--7hoodie allenhoodie allen32,849--
people keep talking
--8gameeone30,544--
blood moon: Year of the wolf
--9jessie jlava/republic24,511--
sweet talker
410tony bennett & lady gaga columbia/interscope24,326-34%
cheek to cheek
--11u2interscope23,174--
songs of innocence
212hoziercolumbia20,411-65%
hozier
--13idina menzelwarner bros.20,175--
holiday wishes
514blake sheltonwarner bros. Nashville18,597-47%
bringing back the sunshine
1215maroon 5222/interscope18,551 -12%

hoping for a top 10 spot on Billboard. damn. not likely.
U2 miss out on top 10 because Sam Smith CBS This Morning last week. :(

U2 has done nothing to promote SOI in the US. Nada, zip. Many stores have no inventory of it. None! Very odd, but you know what? The radio stations around here, ultra self-important in this major market, are beginning to play the songs. The big rock station is starting to play Miracle and tonight played Every Breaking Wave! The small indie station plays Miracle, Song For Someone and lately is playing my favorite track This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now, several times daily.

We shall see, but it is completely ODD that there is no physical inventory of SOI. It wasn't on my big independent record store's emails of new releases or vinyl last week or this week. :hmm: :down:

In the uk, my local tesco and sainsburys dont stock it. They have the other stuff that has charted but not u2.

Sent from my SM-T210 using U2 Interference mobile app

In the uk, my local tesco and sainsburys dont stock it. They have the other stuff that has charted but not u2.

Sent from my SM-T210 using U2 Interference mobile app

I dont think the uk supermarkets are stocking it.

I'll believe that low number when I see it on the official Billboard site.

HitsDailyDouble is quite accurate and trusted. They may fluctuate a percentage point or 2 from Billboard, but nothing major.

But yes, quite startling that SOI sold more in both France and The Netherlands than in the U.S.

Actually, just saw this from "Peelin off those dollar bills"
Doing great in France. In it's second week it stays at number 1 and sells another 29,000 copies, total just over 50,000 from a week and a half.

Again, 25k still puts them nearly top 10, and they have done absolutely nothing to promote it here in the states. My guess is that most people think of it as a free album and have absolutely no clue you can even buy it.

It really doesn't help that no where on the cover of the album does it say U2. People just see 2 shirtless dudes hugging and think "that's weird"...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It really doesn't help that no where on the cover of the album does it say U2. People just see 2 shirtless dudes hugging and think "that's weird"...

There's a sticker on the cd that says "u2 son gs of innocence."

Maybe people are thrown off because they can't make any sense of the title. "What the fuck does 'gs' mean? Did they record an album in Gaelic?"

Aside from mentioning the sales numbers of No Line (which almost went gold in its first week, surprisingly), they don't paint it as a failure, and actually note that it's another Top 10 album for the band. Apparently, they weren't expecting high sales either.

I guess the silver lining here is that if more retailers get around to stocking, displaying it prominently, and the band keeps releasing singles (physical or otherwise), they can still build on these numbers over time.

A gold certification is probably out of reach, but clearly the goal here is to put them back into a position where a "normal" release of Songs Of Experience with its new interactive digital format will put them back near the top of the charts.

So, I was expecting a lot more and my original predication was crap and embarrassing(I won't even repeat it). With that said, after the past week of people saying they might not hit 25k and yesterday HDD indicating less than 25k AND out of the top 10, to me this is a little bit of a win(in the context of the past week).

Free album on the biggest music retailers site for 5 weeks(heavy advertising letting people know about it) and absolutely 0 promotion for the album on the states(a radio "interview" doesn't count) and they still have a top 10 album!

Aside from mentioning the sales numbers of No Line (which almost went gold in its first week, surprisingly), they don't paint it as a failure, and actually note that it's another Top 10 album for the band. Apparently, they weren't expecting high sales either.

Billboard has always down a great deal of respect for U2 in their reporting of them over the years. I would say they are a U2 friendly publication at best and at worst, not biased against U2(a la NME).

Any idea what SOI has sold worldwide in its first week?

25k last week on the "partial week" numbers.

This Thursday we will know what the first full week totaled.

I would bet around 100 to 200k(France and US total about 50k alone)

I guess the silver lining here is that if more retailers get around to stocking, displaying it prominently, and the band keeps releasing singles (physical or otherwise), they can still build on these numbers over time.

A gold certification is probably out of reach, but clearly the goal here is to put them back into a position where a "normal" release of Songs Of Experience with its new interactive digital format will put them back near the top of the charts.

SOI has already gone gold in France and Netherlands, most likely in Croatia, Portugal and Spain.

Now they only need to sell 472,000 more copies to go gold in the US!!

Seriously happy they squeaked into the top 10 though. PHEW.

Now get to playing EBW on every TV show in the U.S. - push it to every AAA/AC/Hot AC station in the country and get this thing moving.

25k last week on the "partial week" numbers.

This Thursday we will know what the first full week totaled.

I would bet around 100 to 200k(France and US total about 50k alone)

Yeah, between France, U.S., Spain, Portugal, Netherlands and UK, you're probably looking at over 100k right there. So easily 150 to 200k worldwide.
I think we will know by Friday.

Considering this album was free to a half billion people (not sure how many of those were in the U.S.) for over 30 days just prior to the official on-sale date, yeah, those numbers aren't as terrible as some people here would like to think.

A good single, the tour, awards, etc., might drive future sales or keep the album hanging around in the charts somewhere. But still, im pretty happy with the album ive got both physically and digitally. The tour cannot come soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom