Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't miss this beautiful interview.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/bono-s-dublin-a-long-way-from-where-i-live-1.1927184?page=1

I want to hear "Crystal Ballroom" right now!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This absolutely cracked me up:

In the Dublin suburbs of the 1970s, Bono says, the cherry blossom tree “seemed to be the most luxurious thing”.

The Edge then pitches in, talking in some detail about Dublin City Council’s policy on cherry blossom trees. How he knows this I can’t imagine.

I honestly do not want to read through any of the copious amounts of opinions, as I'm still getting a feel for the album myself.

Can someone just sum up Interference's response to this album for me?

I honestly do not want to read through any of the copious amounts of opinions, as I'm still getting a feel for the album myself.

As far as I know, not a heinously barbaric barn-burner, but we are the elite group of fans that deserve tickets, especially if they put on interesting shows. Basically, fuck the critics who shit on it for 'cred', but are too pussy to stand behind their comments, and end up getting better seats than us.

- Better lyrics and melodies than the last few, also some very good outros
- All songs are good to great, a few safe ones too
- Indecision about whether it contains legendary tracks comparable to BD Or MOS
- All band members are firing, although Edge could be more promiment
- Many believe best album since POP, and most consistent
- Production is excellent
- Some are also disappointed, think its amongst their worst efforts
- Most rank it in the middle of their top lists, below 80's/90's, above 2000's lp's
- Popular tracks are Troubles, Every Breaking Wave, Iris, Sleep Like A Baby, changes by the listen
- Generally the reception is very good

One of the first things I noticed about this record is the significant improvement in Bono's lyrics. The step up from the low point (Ordinary Love) is pretty stark. The record still has its share of clunker lines and typical Bono cliches, but it's miles better than what he's been doing recently.

The second thing I noticed is that both Bono and the Edge are credited with lyrics on every song. Isn't this a first for a U2 record? My strong suspicion is that Mr. Evans did quite a bit of editing, shaping and putting some discipline into Mr. Hewson's words...and they are better for it.

All 11 songs now available free streaming on Beats Music app for Android in case anyone wants to know.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using U2 Interference mobile app

Is that 2 million worldwide or just in america. That figures only in 4 days aswell

One of the first things I noticed about this record is the significant improvement in Bono's lyrics. The step up from the low point (Ordinary Love) is pretty stark. The record still has it's share of clunker lines and typical Bono cliches, but it's miles better than what he's been doing recently.

The second thing I noticed is that both Bono and the Edge are credited with lyrics on every song. Isn't this a first for a U2 record? My strong suspicion is that Mr. Evan's did quite a bit of editing, shaping and putting some discipline into Mr. Hewson's words...and they are better for it.

I agree, lyrics are a big strength on this album. But I've only seen music and lyrics credited to "U2" not any individual member(s).

I agree, lyrics are a big strength on this album. But I've only seen music and lyrics credited to "U2" not any individual member(s).

Really? The liner notes clearly say for all the songs, Lyrics by Bono and The Edge, Music by U2.

NLOTH was sort of a mix...Lyrics by Bono, Lyrics by Bono, Eno & Lanois, Lyrics by U2, Eno & Lanois, etc.

The second thing I noticed is that both Bono and the Edge are credited with lyrics on every song. Isn't this a first for a U2 record?

Without a doubt. Which makes me angry when I read reviews that say the songs are all about Bono at the expense of the band. Some are more specifically autobiographical but it devalues the shared, transformative experience of things like The Miracle, Raised By Wolves, California, etc.

Really? The liner notes clearly say for all the songs, Lyrics by Bono and The Edge, Music by U2.

NLOTH was sort of a mix...Lyrics by Bono, Lyrics by Bono, Eno & Lanois, Lyrics by U2, Eno & Lanois, etc.

I must've missed that, thanks. You may be right--Edge as Editor?

Heavy base lines and dark meaningful lyrics like Acthung. Signature Edge with that effortless, ringing guitar landscape that carries you away like on UF and JT. Angsty shouts and heavy drum beats like Oct and War. A huge dropoff in the Bono spoken word routine from NLOTH. Fresh, innovative and super clean production. What more could a lifelong U2 fan ask for? It just keeps getting better and better with every listen. So fucking good. Blows away the last 2 albums. Seems like it could have been released after Pop. Not sure how to rank it in the full discography, kind of early still...

I'd actually say it's night and day compared to NLOTH. A lot of positivity.

If I had to compare, its like Boy meets How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb with a little Zooropa/Achtung thrown in and it works well.

That pretty much pertains to lyrics/Bono though. If you take his voice away, it doesn't really sound like anything they've done aside from a few like EBW or Miracle where you could probably guess U2.

Don't miss this beautiful interview.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/bono-s-dublin-a-long-way-from-where-i-live-1.1927184?page=1

I want to hear "Crystal Ballroom" right now!

Very powerful stuff in there and they hold themselves to such a high standard and I believe that's why things can take so long album wise, but they've clearly hit a rich vien with this and the next release. We are in for a glorious few years!

Quite possibly yes. Although don't forget if SoE comes out as soon as some say it will it may not be as pretty.

I think that's the best thing about this album. There seems to be consensus that it is a strong album, agreed that it is cohesive and consistent. Agreed that it's clunker free (even weaker songs are pretty good). The cool part is that it's so consistently good, that there is really no consensus on favorite/least favorite songs.

We're not a unified block, not this early and we still won't be when the dust settles. Read and you'll see every opinion under the sun.

Okay, here are the songs I like so far...

The Miracle - Took its time to grow on me but now I like it quite a bit.
Song for Someone - Such a pretty chorus! The verses have also grown on me and I dig the song despite the ending sounding a bit like the boring Wave of Sorrow.
Raised by Wolves - Flat out the best and most interesting song on the album!
Sleep Like A Baby Tonight - Very very cool... such a unique sound after so long!
The Troubles - Beautiful! This is another favourite along with Raised by Wolves.

This album brings subtle highlights in large quantity. Good headphones improve this album experience quite a bit for me. Subtlety has been largely missing from rock music ever since the 'loudness war' reared its head.

One of the first things I noticed about this record is the significant improvement in Bono's lyrics. The step up from the low point (Ordinary Love) is pretty stark. The record still has its share of clunker lines and typical Bono cliches, but it's miles better than what he's been doing recently.

The second thing I noticed is that both Bono and the Edge are credited with lyrics on every song. Isn't this a first for a U2 record? My strong suspicion is that Mr. Evans did quite a bit of editing, shaping and putting some discipline into Mr. Hewson's words...and they are better for it.

I'm so with you on this. Both the lyrics and delivery on invisible and OL, really disappointed me. I was very worried for this album. But it was a relief that it was much better than expected. A little more direct at times than I might like. I think it hurts iris and cedar wood a little bit. But. Overall his delivery is back and I'm loving it.

Kind of funny how high it's ranked, all things considered.

In the months and years leading up to this, mostly what you heard around here was stuff like...

I want...

...something "experimental"...
...a "low key" release, just put it out there...
...something for "the fans"...
...for U2 to stop trying to be the biggest band in the world...
...for U2 to stop trying to make radio friendly pop hits!

Now that they've ignored all that and put out a pretty safe, mainstream collection of songs (great as they are) by partnering with one of the biggest corporations in the world with the biggest record release in history, all that's forgotten. To know what U2 was going to do all we had to do was expect U2 to act like U2.

It's amazing how good music just takes care of everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom