Songs of Ascent VI and the Half-Blood Prince

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I read (again) the book "Until The End Of The World" and in the chapter about "Zooropa" The Edge said that they didn't want to spead news about a new album cause they tryed to avoid the preasure.

Maybe this is the same kind of situation... I hope so.

I dunno, now looking back on Vertigo times I think he made the right decision losing the hair.

For the record, "Stir My Soul" and "Jubilee" were both previous titles/incarnations of Beautiful Day. In other words, probably the same music with different lyrics. That's why they aren't B-sides. Always, while a precursor to Beautiful Day as well, at least had different music.

I'm now about 50% confident that Songs of Ascent will indeed be released ...

I read somewhere that Lillywhite and Eno were working together (on the U2 album?) during some BBC interview recently, I think?

May I direct you to my post from a few weeks ago, though I'm still not sure what it means, or how old the interview was. In a recently-published interview with Paul Morley in the Observer (On gospel, Abba and the death of the record: an audience with Brian Eno | Interview | Music | The Observer - this interview was also included in the BBC programme), Morley suggested he was finishing Coldplay's new album:

I finally sat down to watch the (excellent) Brian Eno documentary that aired on BBC4 a few weeks ago and noticed that when chatting in his home studio at one point in the programme, Eno was joined by Steve Lillywhite in a discussion of what it means to be a producer, how the process works, etc. I presume someone has mentioned this already, but in case not I thought it an interesting piece of info at least, since, depending on when it was recorded, it might give us some idea of whether the two were working together on some new U2 stuff.

I don't think it's looking good at all, and I'd say it's probably time to put it all to bed. Remove all your hopeful wishing whatever, and really, their words suggest that they've veered from the original SoA course, and their actions suggest that they currently have nothing else on the go.

I do find it a bit surprising that they are looking likely to embark on the tour without something in the way of new news out there, but evidence of them working toward that or planning to do that does seem to not exist, at all, and it has been that way, honestly, for some time now.

The only slim of most slim hopes would be that they feel they are 80-90% (or more) there with something, and are confident of needing only a very short studio period to wrap it up. The timing of that might be determined by the availability of others (Eno or whoever), and there'll be a brief, very late burst. I think the chances of this happening are about one in a million. I think given a scenario like that, post-Pop U2 would rather shelve a release then go for pressure and risk.

Or, if they have shelved the album but feel they need 'something' out there, maybe a promo release of some kind that takes no further work, so of course we are not seeing any evidence of further work. A release of live tracks, a release of MoS as a single (so, shorter edit) that comes with a genuine b-side like Brothers Winter or Kingdom or something else originally intended for SoA, maybe second disc attached to NLOTH that includes those things. Something like that, or nothing like that, but something that is obviously a hashed together promo tool.

They tried to keep Zooropa under wraps, but that was a different time. We would have known absolutely everything about that if all of 'this' existed in 1993. Lemon beach clips would have been awesome, as would breathless reports of Edge entering the studio three weeks ago and having not left the building since.

They tried to keep Zooropa under wraps, but that was a different time. We would have known absolutely everything about that if all of 'this' existed in 1993. Lemon beach clips would have been awesome, as would breathless reports of Edge entering the studio three weeks ago and having not left the building since.

:drool::drool::drool:

I don't think it's looking good at all, and I'd say it's probably time to put it all to bed. Remove all your hopeful wishing whatever, and really, their words suggest that they've veered from the original SoA course, and their actions suggest that they currently have nothing else on the go.

But the last time Edge was interviewed he said both he and Bono were busy writing new material. We haven't heard anything else because, to the best of my knowledge, neither Edge or Bono have been interviewed since. The fact that we haven't heard any leaks means nothing at this point imo as they could still be writing/recording in their own personal studios.

I feel that the key will be the next interview; we'll know then whether or not we're going to any new material.

I feel that the key will be the next interview; we'll know then whether or not we're going to any new material.

i can agree with this. we are basing most of our current opinions on the fact that there hasn't been a peep from the band in well over a month. even though, it may not look good at the moment, the band could easily announce a new album two weeks from now....and then we'll all refer to February 2010 as "the calm before the storm".

Although, just to play the pessimist :wink:, U2 usually has a pretty hard time keeping their work a secret. I.e. We usually know if they're busy at work on an album, even if we don't know the timeline of release. Wouldn't we have some solid reporting about a recording/mixing location and the band being all together in one place? Even if they decide to move forward with the original SOA plan, it seems like they'd still have a good bit of studio finalizing work to do. And we'd know about it if this was happening, I think.

i can agree with this. we are basing most of our current opinions on the fact that there hasn't been a peep from the band in well over a month. even though, it may not look good at the moment, the band could easily announce a new album two weeks from now....and then we'll all refer to February 2010 as "the calm before the storm".

I think were in the "calm" right now. I just don't see U2 NOT releasing a new album/EP before the tour. They need to create some sort of buzz. It would be a full 7 month break between tours.

yeah, i still think if the album doesn't come, we'll get either a single or EP. from Bono's last interview in Q Magazine, he mentions the EP if they don't get the album done.

For me, the most important thing is that according to the last interviews, the band is working on new material. Bono and Edge are writing. The band is still making music.
Will they release the new material this year? Will be like it? We don't know. What we know is that they' re still working.
Yes, we could see the glass half empty, and I'm sure many will...but I think we should try to have some perspective and realize that, as Bono himself said in many interviews, they ARE defying gravity.
But I think that to successfully defy gravity they should really loose the weight of having to reapply for the job of biggest band in the world every time they make a record.

I agree with the next interview being important. it's been a while since we've heard anything about U2 (the music, not some stupid award things). If they say next week that they're still working it would change our thoughts very fast.
But if they really are in the studio now, they are able to keep it very quiet. like Bram said, we would've probably heard something about it.

I think the window is still open.
Being as generous as possible, I think they've still got maybe 6 or 8 weeks to record. I can't imagine them shipping an album (even a small one) without being done by the end of April.

To me, it's irrelevant if they announce a producer or not.
They can produce most of their own tracks to a certain completion and bring in the others in the final weeks.

For the record, I don't think an album is coming in 2010, but I still think there is some reason for optimism. That's all I'm saying.

But I think that to successfully defy gravity they should really loose the weight of having to reapply for the job of biggest band in the world every time they make a record.

Exactly! This is precisely what I've been saying since the release of NLOTH. Let's have less "we're saving the world through our music" vibe and more "We're making kick-ass music and having fun doing it" vibe.

I think the window is still open.

I agree the window to release an album this year is still open, but if they don't it really narrows the window tremendously for future releases.

What's the point of releasing something right after this tour? Unless it's something really out there that they wouldn't play live much anyways... This is an option and one I'd be willing to wait for.

But if they don't, we're looking at another couple of years hiatus, and let's face it U2 don't have many of those left in them, if they want to tour.

I just don't see U2 touring at the same age as the Stones.

I think we're at a crucial time, and U2 have to realize that. I'm still optimistic, only because I think U2 know their limits.

I agree with the next interview being important. it's been a while since we've heard anything about U2 (the music, not some stupid award things). If they say next week that they're still working it would change our thoughts very fast.

I agree about the importance of the next interview. That will give us the verdict on SOA's fate. If they are not in the studio then SOA isn't happening. If they still are in the studio then it makes SOA very likely. I say that for two reasons. First, it shows that have a strong desire to finish it. Second, by this point they have to know whether they can finish the album in time for the tour. If they are still in the studio it would mean they are confident that it can be finished on time.

Unfortunately NME.com is now reporting that Brian Eno is working in the studio with Coldplay. So I guess that kinda leaves us at even more of a loss. If indeed they are working, who are they working with??

Unfortunately NME.com is now reporting that Brian Eno is working in the studio with Coldplay. So I guess that kinda leaves us at even more of a loss. If indeed they are working, who are they working with??

Eno worked with U2 and Coldplay at the same time during NLOTH. He spoke about it on a BBC documentary recently, when he said that he had music from both bands on his laptop and was worried in case there was a subconscious crossover :)

Like all of you, my mind is filled with if, buts, maybe's & speculation.

What I am thinking about mostly is 2 things.

1) Are U2 remembering back to those beach clips, the publicity & the leaked album. Are they pulling a total lock down in order to surprise? I would like to think so.

2) Is Spiderman causing a lot of the problems. They must have some sort of album/material from that. Is there an issue, whereby if they release another U2 album, they'll also have the Spiderman material to release in the same timeframe. Are the 2 projects conflicting somehow?

Thats my $1 worth anyhow....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom