Songs of Ascent: the lost album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a chance. We haven't heard one peep about U2 being in a studio, or finishing songs, etc.

Nothing. Even they aren't this secretive.

All we know is that Bono and Edge were going to take two weeks to do some song writing. We didn't hear anything else in regards to the band getting together.

My opinion is they have shelved all material until after the tour.

yep. and i'm sure they'll end up writing more songs during the tour, which will delay the process more. i think 2012 is the best possible scenario at this point.

out of curiosity, is the "Digital Downloads" section of the U2.com shop new?

yep. and i'm sure they'll end up writing more songs during the tour, which will delay the process more. i think 2012 is the best possible scenario at this point.

2012 would be the best possible, but not the most realistic. Tour might extend into S America and/or Down Under during the winter of 2011.

The tour will eventually end either way, and we'll get the same old quotes "We're playing so well at the moment. Best shows of our lives. We want to capture this energy, tap into it. We've created some of the most extrodinary music of our lives".

So we'll be told there's a quick follow up, as they don't want to wait too long between albums again. But we know they will want to get back to their families. I really don't think music is that important to them anymore. There was a interview for NLOTH release where Larry talks about how he drives his kids to school. he does it, no one else. While I completely admire that quality about this band, i do think it proves a point that they just aren't as hungry as they used to be.

Honestly, i don't really care that much anymore. Anything we get from u2 from now on is just gravy to one of the greatest careers and bands ever. As mentioned above, their down to earth quality that we all love is probably the main reason why we get so frustrated with them too. They never wanted to lose touch with their family. Therefore music has taken a backseat now that they can provide for them.

I really think we'll get a new album in 2014.

U2 want it all. they want to be parents who spend quality time with family. they also want to remain in the spotlight, and they want to be a band that regularly releases successful albums.

I'm certain they're always trying to achieve all these things. whether or not they're successful is another thing, but I think it's an ignorant person that says they're not trying their hardest to be the best band and people they can be. (I'm not suggesting anyone here is saying this)

I went through my scans of that old Q Magazine issue from last year with the preview of No Line On The Horizon and found another paragraph about Every Breaking Wave that I must've forgotten about. The "new" bit is found below, italicized and surrounded by the prominent quotation marks:

• Q Magazine, December, 2008:
    With Or Without You-style pulser that builds layers of guitars over electronically enhanced verses before opening up into an expansive drop chorus and then, ultimately, exploding into an exstatic coda. Key line: "Every sailor knows that the sea/Is a friend made enemy"

"Bono flips open his MacBook Air and calls up a file. "I think I may have just managed to rhyme 'life' with 'life'" he notes, rolling his eyes. Lillywhite cues up the track, a meditative slow-burning track called Every Breaking Wave that gradually builds to a climax brimming with passion and intensity. Bono begins to sing, rocking back and forward on his studio chair, his voice simultaneously coming out of the giant speakers and only inches away from my left ear, as he performs a near-note-perfect vocal that employs the movement of the oceans as a metaphor for the human struggle, before building to the plaintive line "I don't know if I'm that strong". Two takes and 10 minutes later, it's done."

• Rolling Stone, January 22, 2009:
    A swelling soul-pop song, with bright synth sounds influenced by OMD and, Bono says, "early electronica". "You don't hear indie bands doing blue-eyed soul [like this]." he adds.

are we in danger of no longer enjoying the moment? they aren't going to be around forever and i'm in danger of willing the current good times away....:hmm:
we are after all 6 weeks away from a new tour and a glastonbury performance...

I guess I was spoiled by POPMART.....

No hits at all on that non-static setlist tour, healthy dose of the relatively fresh album like Zooropa.

The Stones comparison are weak at best. U2 play more new songs on a regular basis, and they (and the audience) still care about the new stuff.

Songs of ascent was talked about, and the plan was "June". But plans change...personally I'd sign up for a late 2010 or 2011 release immediately. And the more expanded 360 gets, the better the odds of new songs.

i don't think we're getting any new songs in 2010 in any shape or form.

Not a chance. We haven't heard one peep about U2 being in a studio, or finishing songs, etc.

Nothing. Even they aren't this secretive.

All we know is that Bono and Edge were going to take two weeks to do some song writing. We didn't hear anything else in regards to the band getting together.

My opinion is they have shelved all material until after the tour.

This may be, but I'm still trying to believe we will. The most recent positive quote from them we've had on that was as recent as Bono's trip to Africa (last month or this month/not sure) when he told an interviewer for Kenyan fans to be on the lookout for new songs.

Not much to go on I know... but it's something right?? :crack: right??!

Therein lies the band's problem though- why do they only look back to the 80s when talking about the best of the past? It's about time they started recognising Pop and Zooropa.

I agree.

I think they are talking popular opinion. Lets face it, most people associate U2 with the 1980s. We all know much better here, but that does not change 99.9999% of the world. I would be fine with that if they said "you want 80s? Then you got Two Hearts...,Seconds, A Sort of Homecoming, Wire, Electric Co, Another Time Another Place, 11OClock, Twilight, Gloria, Out of Control, 40, In God's Country, etc."

I think where they run into trouble is acting like SBS and NYD are the only songs on War, Pride the only song on the Unforgettable Fire and the big 3 the only songs on JT. I think that is what has led to the 80s fatigue here. Oh, and I forgot Bullet. That song over stayed its welcome in nightly set lists by a hell of a lot, and it was criminal that songs like IGC, Trip, RTSS, MOD, Exit and One Tree Hill were all shelved for significant amounts of time or for good.

They have done a far better job representing AB in live performances than JT. The albums are equally as brilliant in my mind, but what they play from JT has changed very little over the years. It is predictable. the big 3, Bullet and sometimes something else. AB has been wonderfully unpredictable. Popmart had Even Better and Until The End...., Elevation had both of those but The Fly was back with some nice little Wild Horses snippets in Bad. Vertigo had full fledged Wild Horses, UTTEOTW, The Fly at its best, ZOO STATION and even dug up Love is Blindness As a snippet. Of course all tours had MW to varying degrees.

The band themselves are probably equally proud of the 90s material. Their love of AB is well documented. Bono's favorite U2 song is Stay and even Larry vigorously defended Pop a few times when asked. I just think they are being too timid and are worried about how playing Zooropa or Pop songs will be received.

You and I know the answer to that would in all likelihood be "damn well" in a stadium with the claw and lights. We'll stay tuned.......

They have done a far better job representing AB in live performances than JT. The albums are equally as brilliant in my mind, but what they play from JT has changed very little over the years. It is predictable. the big 3, Bullet and sometimes something else. AB has been wonderfully unpredictable. Popmart had Even Better and Until The End...., Elevation had both of those but The Fly was back with some nice little Wild Horses snippets in Bad. Vertigo had full fledged Wild Horses, UTTEOTW, The Fly at its best, ZOO STATION and even dug up Love is Blindness As a snippet. Of course all tours had MW to varying degrees.

I agree with overall sentiment of your post, but I wouldn't call that anemic version of WGRYWH "full-fledged", save for that time they went electric in Amsterdam (those people were unbelievably lucky, as I think they got an electric OOTS as well).

I'd rather not hear the song at all then that stripped-down bullshit, and the same goes for Boner's supposed "favorite" song, which hasn't had a decent live treatment since 1993.

I agree.

I think they are talking popular opinion. Lets face it, most people associate U2 with the 1980s. We all know much better here, but that does not change 99.9999% of the world. I would be fine with that if they said "you want 80s? Then you got Two Hearts...,Seconds, A Sort of Homecoming, Wire, Electric Co, Another Time Another Place, 11OClock, Twilight, Gloria, Out of Control, 40, In God's Country, etc."

I think where they run into trouble is acting like SBS and NYD are the only songs on War, Pride the only song on the Unforgettable Fire and the big 3 the only songs on JT. I think that is what has led to the 80s fatigue here. Oh, and I forgot Bullet. That song over stayed its welcome in nightly set lists by a hell of a lot, and it was criminal that songs like IGC, Trip, RTSS, MOD, Exit and One Tree Hill were all shelved for significant amounts of time or for good.

The band themselves are probably equally proud of the 90s material. Their love of AB is well documented. Bono's favorite U2 song is Stay and even Larry vigorously defended Pop a few times when asked. I just think they are being too timid and are worried about how playing Zooropa or Pop songs will be received.

You and I know the answer to that would in all likelihood be "damn well" in a stadium with the claw and lights. We'll stay tuned.......

I agree with you in every respect. As far as JT is concerned I would love to ear Exit and In God's Country again. As you rightly point out, we cannot complain about their handling of AB (though EBTTRT would be welcome addition this year). The problem is that they are unwilling to risk Pop and Zooropa material even when the scale and feel of the show lends itself to those songs. It is timid and for a band which gave us Zoo Tv, that is somewhat disappointing.

Best case for the new album is 2013 but realistically it could 2014 or 2015 depending on whether the tour goes into 2011. If the band isn't confident in the SOA material or the Rubin material, which a lack of release suggests, then the new album is going to basically be started from scratch.

U2 want it all. they want to be parents who spend quality time with family. they also want to remain in the spotlight, and they want to be a band that regularly releases successful albums.

Add to that wanting to not let the fans down. I think that is why the band kept and keeps saying that new songs are coming. The band is focusing on too many fronts and the result is a band never fully committing.

I agree with overall sentiment of your post, but I wouldn't call that anemic version of WGRYWH "full-fledged", save for that time they went electric in Amsterdam (those people were unbelievably lucky, as I think they got an electric OOTS as well).

I'd rather not hear the song at all then that stripped-down bullshit, and the same goes for Boner's supposed "favorite" song, which hasn't had a decent live treatment since 1993.

They played electric Wild Horses at least once or twice more. Definitely Vertigo Boston 5-28. That was such an awesome show, a much better than average ending to UTEOTW right into the start of full electric Wild Horses. In fact, I think this was the best set list U2 played the entire Vertigo tour.

Very true on Stay. I really, really wish they would ditch the stripped down versions of this- the drums and bass are really key to Stay. I do think the performance they got on the Elevation DVD was one of a few decent ones since Zoo TV.

I heard it 9/21 Foxboro but it was flat done just by Bono and the Edge. It was done right after UTEOTW and though I liked it, I couldn't help but thinking they should either be playing this like Zoo TV or putting another rocker in its place.

They played electric Wild Horses at least once or twice more. Definitely Vertigo Boston 5-28. That was such an awesome show, a much better than average ending to UTEOTW right into the start of full electric Wild Horses. In fact, I think this was the best set list U2 played the entire Vertigo tour.

Very true on Stay. I really, really wish they would ditch the stripped down versions of this- the drums and bass are really key to Stay. I do think the performance they got on the Elevation DVD was one of a few decent ones since Zoo TV.

I heard it 9/21 Foxboro but it was flat done just by Bono and the Edge. It was done right after UTEOTW and though I liked it, I couldn't help but thinking they should either be playing this like Zoo TV or putting another rocker in its place.

Count your blessings... I've never seen Stay live in any form.

Count your blessings... I've never seen Stay live in any form.

I still liked it- just was tough knowing HOW much better it could have been had Adam and Larry been allowed in the door.

And I realize and admit readily my blessings are many as far as seeing songs live in only 4 shows:

The Ocean
Electric Co
Miss Sarajevo
Crumbs
The First Time
New Year's Day(not many got it on 360 when I saw it)
Until The End of The World
Stay

I still liked it- just was tough knowing HOW much better it could have been had Adam and Larry been allowed in the door.

that goes for pretty much any song they decide to give the lazy acoustic treatment to. the only one that gets better is stuck, but that is only because the full band version sucks.

Best case for the new album is 2013 but realistically it could 2014 or 2015 depending on whether the tour goes into 2011. If the band isn't confident in the SOA material or the Rubin material, which a lack of release suggests, then the new album is going to basically be started from scratch.

Add to that wanting to not let the fans down. I think that is why the band kept and keeps saying that new songs are coming. The band is focusing on too many fronts and the result is a band never fully committing.

If the tour continues into 2011 then we definitely would have a case for an October/November 2010 release, it wouldn't be after the tour in that case. Besides, if they did release an album without pre-existing NLOTH material (I still seriously doubt they wouldn't release Kingdom or even EBW since its been talked up in so much detail), we know they wrote quite a bit after the last leg.

Besides, if they did release an album without pre-existing NLOTH material (I still seriously doubt they wouldn't release Kingdom or even EBW since its been talked up in so much detail), we know they wrote quite a bit after the last leg.

If we have learned anything about U2 in the studio this decade it is that the quantity of material is not reflective of the band's progress on an album. I'm sure the band wrote quite a bit after Elevation and quite a bit after Vertigo too. The band's state of mind and musical direction are FAR more important than the number of songs. I want to be optimistic like you but we have to be realistic.

Heh, where were all you naysayers when I was trying to convince people 3-4 weeks ago that we weren't getting a new album this year? :wink:

I'm coming to terms with the fact that we probably won't get a new album for a few years. I'm starting to see the bright side: in June, a new DVD will come out that I can stay up all night watching and analyzing, like I did as a kid with Zoo TV and Popmart. Also in June on the 30th, I will be seeing U2 in Michigan with my wife who has never been to a U2 concert! It's really a good time to be a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom