Songs of Ascent - Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have been googling all over the place, and i can't find a release date for the Brothers Soundtrack.

Makes sense, anyone know if we have an official soundtrack listing anywhere and I assume Bad would be on there too???

It might be on the soundtrack, but then again it might just be used for the trailer since it's a song the public is already familiar with.

I for one am an eternal optimist. I really think SOA will be released next year before the tour.

yeah, the movie comes out December 4th in the US, so you would think the soundtrack would be out around then too, right?

All the trailers I've seen have Bad in it, but no Winter, seems to me White As Snow should be in the movie as well bc it's a perfect fit when the uncle told his nephew that his dad pulled him out of the river when we were kids.

Also, Exit Music (For Film) by Radiohead was on the Romeo & Juliet soundtrack and still made it onto OK Computer.

Also as far as trailers go for movies, they often use music that isn't even connected to the movie at all, and is heard only in the ads. (Not saying this is the case here, but it happens often)

Something will be released in early 2010. That is a long break between tours/legs not to have some new songs. At least we'll get an EP of sort.

I think U2 is at a crossroads on what to do (musically) because NLOTH didn't take over like they hoped for.

I assume the opposite.

Until the End of the World and Stay (Far Away, So Close!) come to mind.

Yeah, it sometimes happens.... but it usually doesn't...... especially if U2 has too many songs right now, as I get the feeling they do!

And this is a funny circumstance since LINEAR already had the track. Putting it on SOA would be the 3rd release for the song! I think that's one too many...

It doesn't help that Winter, as it stands today, sounds very much unfit for release. There are some horrendous lyrics, musical gaffes (Viva La Vida strings at the beginning :lol: ), and the all-important hook is nowhere to be found. There are some pieces of honest-to-goodness enjoyable music in there though, and if they were to focus the song in on those, they may have something.

But if Winter is never released on an album, I don't think it's going to be the next Mercy. I, for one, wish it wasn't even released on Linear. Not with its currently muddled storyline and buttered toast.

It doesn't help that Winter, as it stands today, sounds very much unfit for release. There are some horrendous lyrics, musical gaffes (Viva La Vida strings at the beginning :lol: ), and the all-important hook is nowhere to be found. There are some pieces of honest-to-goodness enjoyable music in there though, and if they were to focus the song in on those, they may have something.

But if Winter is never released on an album, I don't think it's going to be the next Mercy. I, for one, wish it wasn't even released on Linear. Not with its currently muddled storyline and buttered toast.

Yeah, there's some real beauty in the song, but also some ugliness. It simply isn't done! I hope they have worked on it since Linear and made it what it should be. In it's current form, it would have been the weakest song on NLOTH...

Yeah, there's some real beauty in the song, but also some ugliness. It simply isn't done! I hope they have worked on it since Linear and made it what it should be. In it's current form, it would have been the weakest song on NLOTH...

:yes:

Yet it does have a lot of potential to be a great song.

c'mon now, this is Muldfeld we are talking about, the same person who once said u2 should use Battlestar Gallactica for inspiration...or something like that. Whatever!

Hey, I think I've seen this guy! I was at one of the screenings for Danny Lanois' "Here Is What Is" a the Toronto Film Festival a couple years ago, and they had a Q&A with Danny and the audience after the screening. I just about peed my pants (along with many others in the audience, I'm sure) when some guy stood up and asked Danny to pass a message onto the members of U2 that they should watch Battlestar Gallactica for inspiration for their lyrics, because U2's recent work demonstrated political sentiments that were not in touch with reality (i.e. overly "make love, not war"-ish)....

Sorry for the sidebar....

I hate to be less than positive too, but I agree with Bram. I was the eternal optimist, but their "process" has burned me one too many times.

If they're even remotely unsure about their material, they won't release it. And if they think they can write, tweak and record new material that they're confident in and release it within 6 months, I believe they are sadly mistaken based on track record.

They're the ultimate second-guessers.

This.

Quite honestly, I've never been hugely confident that they'd follow through with the whole Songs Of Ascent thing. I believe they have the material to do so, but the idea of them releasing an album of supposedly slower, more "meditative" leftovers from NLOTH seemed kind of sketchy to me to begin with because of how concerned the seem to be with having really big hits these days. And now that it's getting reported that they're trying to write brand new stuff it seems even more unlikely to me that another fully fledged album will be coming anytime within the next year because of how they tend to refine and refine and refine and refine their material in the studio until they think it's absolutely perfect. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to slag them or anything. Of course they could release an album before they hit the road again and make me totally eat my words, I'm not ruling that out. I just don't see it as very likely.

Winter is easily better than anything on NLOTH...

I'm listening to Winter for the first time right now! A customer at the drugstore where I work and I were talking about U2 & he told me that I had to find Winter on You Tube, along with Disappearing Act AND...Mercy!

This song is not finished. It might be a grower but I'm not sure about that. It just sounds very unfinished...Mercy sounded more finished than this does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom