SOI physical release + tour info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if you put Lucifer's hands right after Iris we have the most rocking series of songs on any U2 record, LH, Volcano, Wolves, Ceadarwood.

Crystal Ballroom is really great. Wow. Love it. Not sure that it fits on the album though. I can see even though it's a great track how it didn't fit.

Well, I was wondering whether I'd incorporate those two new tracks into the record or dump them in my b-sides/alternates/rarities playlist, and now I have my answer.

Clearly for U2 fans there are still only 11 reasons to exist.

Theres only two people on here who dont like it so far and loads that do so id say the large majority are loving the 2nd disc really.

Crystal Ballroom is really great. Wow. Love it. Not sure that it fits on the album though. I can see even though it's a great track how it didn't fit.

I will put Crystal Ballroom between SLABT and This is where .... quite a good transition (from dark to groovy) ...

I really love The Crystal Ballroom :heart:

if you put Lucifer's hands right after Iris we have the most rocking series of songs on any U2 record, LH, Volcano, Wolves, Ceadarwood.

This. Gonna be making a custom playlist now that the deluxe disc leaked. Need to figure out where to insert Crystal though... :hmm:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Wow, I like all of this, surprisingly the Busker version of Miracle is really great. The Troubles is interesting, but I like the album version better. Every Breaking Wave is AMAZING, Bono's voice is just :ohmy:

But most of these "acoustic" versions aren't really acoustic, are they?

From the new songs, Lucifer's Hands clearly is my favorite. :up:

Theres only two people on here who dont like it so far and loads that do so id say the large majority are loving the 2nd disc really.

I'm not crazy about them either. The two new ones are OK. Though I'd rather just have a studio version of Stingray. I think everything else added to that one waters it down.

And the only two of the others songs I'll ever listen to again are Raised by Wolves and California.

CD'2, deary, deary me, not good... The acoustic versions are really poor, tired sounding and half baked. When did they record this?! They sound like demo's. If they recorded these after they wrapped the album, this isn't good.

Actually I thought they recorded acoustic versions the day after the album drop on iTunes. They're just stripped bare acoustic versions.. I don't see anything wrong with different takes on songs.

Actually I thought they recorded acoustic versions the day after the album drop on iTunes. They're just stripped bare acoustic versions.. I don't see anything wrong with different takes on songs.

I think they probably polished them off soon after the album drop, but they had been in the works for some time maybe.

But I think it's a real stretch to say these are early-Danger Mouse session songs, and that it shows he didn't get the "best out of them." Ridiculous claim.

With a few clicks you have the chance to make a grown man very very very happy (and grateful). PM me or email at jonathan @ puntervold.dk

So excited!!!

I find The Crystal Ballroom to be on par with their best b-sides and ''deep cuts''. Exceptional guitar work by the Edge, but it's once again Adam who steals the show with his incredible grooving bass. Other than that, i am impressed by how powerful Sleep Like A Baby Tonight sounds on this mix especially when the Edge breaks in after the first chorus, although i need some time to get used to the new lyrics. But it's an interesting twist to my favorite album track. As far as the acoustic versions, Song For Someone and Miracle are the standouts for me.

Let's get a refresher. Besides the songs, how is the basic album different from the deluxe? Longer liner notes? Bigger box? Stickers? I completely forgot.

Let's get a refresher. Besides the songs, how is the basic album different from the deluxe? Longer liner notes? Bigger box? Stickers? I completely forgot.

2 liner booklets instead of one. 16 pages each. And 2 discs, one for the standard album and one for bonus tracks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

I really enjoy most of these acoustic and alternative tracks, but I don't think any of them should be on the album instead of the original track. There's some great B-side material, but they don't live up to the original tracks, neither musically nor lyrically. Bono's singing is very good on most of the tracks, but sometimes it just gets a bit messy, like with the end of The Troubles or the second verse of Sleep Like A Baby.

Song for Someone and Every Breaking Wave are truly beautiful and I'm surprised I'm liking the stripped down "busker" version of The Miracle so much.

As for the new songs, I can see Lucifer's Hands on the album, not so sure about Crystal Ballroom, apparently most people here seem to prefer it, but I cannot really get into that song.

I think I'll be saving five of the acoustic versions for the release date itself, but I did listen to the two new songs, EBW acoustic, and the two alternate versions/Invisible. This is my two cents...

EBW Acoustic: Okay. I was expecting the piano and 'passionate' vocal out of Bono, but I might be missing out on the overall feelings some people are getting out of it. Could grow on me though.
Lucifer's Hands: Not bad. It doesn't necessarily grab you firmly, but it does the job musically and the vocals/lyrics are okay.
The Crystal Ballroom: I do see the appeal on this one, although I'm not sure I could see how it would have fit on the album personally. But it's definitely a solid song and it is probably their best b-side in awhile. I agree with the DD-comparisons too.
SLABT/The Troubles Alternate Versions: I'm not high on either of them, but I'm glad they exist for the sake of changing it up a bit. Certainly interesting.
Invisible: As someone said, the extended parts do allow it to breathe a bit more and it does benefit from that. Doesn't improve drastically in my book, but it's a bit better than the edit.

As for the other five, on to Tuesday then!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom