SOE - Part 8 - iHeart Beach CLips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I insist that they fuck up this promotion by releasing in a traditional manner when their traditional audience is ditching traditional tv and radio outlets.

Maybe they can debut it on MTV 120 minutes.

Boy, you've failed marketing 101 I insist that U2 fire you.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm just saying that after trying hard to connect to a new audience and failing, they should try to go where their audience is.
When i talk U2 to my 17yo niece she makes me feel like i am an alien.
Maybe thats the reason their tours are so succesful and their albums are not.

I'm just saying that after trying hard to connect to a new audience and failing, they should try to go where their audience is.

They've spent their whole career chasing new audiences.

Most of it has to do with their age, plain and simple.

Paul McCartney had success with that song he did with Rhianna. It's possible.

I have a feeling a lot of older artists are in that same boat though. Not just U2.

Paul McCartney had success with that song he did with Rhianna. It's possible.

I'm not sure if that's an extremely well-known song though. I think McCartney hinted at that as much in a recent Rolling Stone interview. Some people know about the collaboration, sure, but maybe not the song itself.

They've spent their whole career chasing new audiences.

Most of it has to do with their age, plain and simple.

I am not saying that they should stop chasing a new audience, i am saying maybe now its time to do something a little different because of the recent failures. Please their regular audience with a new hit and then try to reach a new audience. Use some old school methods like a advanced single with a video. If we stop to think for a moment, they more or less did this with ATYCLB. They went too far with Pop. They went too far with Apple.
For me, in particular, i dont care too much about the whole relevance thing, i just wish they realease something good, but i like to get involved with the discussion. But of course, to see U2 being played and scoring a hit after their peak is very cool.
I lived that back in 2000 and it was awesome.

Last edited:
I am not saying that they should stop chasing a new audience, i am saying maybe now its time to do something a little different because of the recent failures. Please their regular audience with a new hit and then try to reach a new audience. Use some old school methods like a advanced single with a video. If we stop to think for a moment, they more or less did this with ATYCLB. They went too far with Pop. They went too far with Apple.
For me, in particular, i dont care too much about the whole relevance thing, i just wish they realease something good, but i like to get involved with the discussion. But of course, to see U2 being played and scoring a hit after their peak is very cool.
I lived that back in 2000 and it was awesome.

You seem a little stuck in the past, very much like the 80s fans that hated the direction they went with the 90s.

You want old school marketing, you want a departure but when they do its not what you want... you want nostalgia mate, that's what you want.

Reissues might be your thing.

Man, I couldn't disagree with that more. U2 is at their best when they're experimenting outside of their comfort zone . Whether that was country in the late 80s, dance and electronica in the early 90s or middle eastern sounds in the 2000s.

You seem a little stuck in the past, very much like the 80s fans that hated the direction they went with the 90s.

You want old school marketing, you want a departure but when they do its not what you want... you want nostalgia mate, that's what you want.

Reissues might be your thing.

I was talking about just from a marketing point of view. A strategy to regain relevance relying on their regular audience to build buzz and hype.

Last edited:
Man, I couldn't disagree with that more. U2 is at their best when they're experimenting outside of their comfort zone . Whether that was country in the late 80s, dance and electronica in the early 90s or middle eastern sounds in the 2000s.

Comercially speaking maybe its time to go back to their comfort zone and do what they do best.
Musically i think they were always experimenting outside their comfort zone, in U2 there are no reverse gears, remember?
Now, in their mid 50's, there is simply no comfort zone. If they try to go back to their 80's sound the bar is just too high. If they go industrial/electronic again then AB is the benchmark. They already stripped their sound with ATYCLB. So even if they don't stray too much from the SOI kind of sound i am sure it's not easy for them to write songs they are proud of; when they are not trying to reinvent their sound they are busy fighting with relevance. In the end, its not easy to be U2 in 2016.

Comercially speaking maybe its time to go back to their comfort zone and do what they do best.

Musically i think they were always experimenting outside their comfort zone, in U2 there are no reverse gears, remember?

Now, in their mid 50's, there is simply no comfort zone. If they try to go back to their 80's sound the bar is just too high. If they go industrial/electronic again then AB is the benchmark. They already stripped their sound with ATYCLB. So even if they don't stray too much from the SOI kind of sound i am sure it's not easy for them to write songs they are proud of; when they are not trying to reinvent their sound they are busy fighting with relevance. In the end, its not easy to be U2 in 2016.

So, despite saying they need to go back to their comfort zone, and then saying there is no comfort zone, you also say that they have done everything they can with the sounds they have used, but want them to go backwards in terms of marketing, and god knows where in terms of sound. Is that about it?

I took my kids to see Twenty-One Pilots last week, and while they are no U2, the singer reminded me of a young Bono. Great performer, goes to great lengths to connect with the crowd. The songs and message are loaded with spiritual references centered on hope, like U2. Despite all those similarities that resonate with kids today, watching them, its never been more abundantly clear how far U2 are from mainstream relevancy with the younger audience. There is a energy, freshness, hunger that youth brings that 4 older (or ancient to my kids) men are never going to capture. U2 is fighting a battle that they cannot win if they are trying to win over kids today.

They need to accept that. They can still be the older band, that is respected by younger generations because they are great, but they need to accept that will always be largely for their back catalog. This should be a freeing thing to do whatever they want, instead of chasing something they are never going to get.

They don't need to return to classic U2 sound (whatever that is). I still believe U2 is best when they are pushing themselves outside of their comfort zone. I think they would do this best by not trying to reach a mainstream younger audience.

Some people just have unrealistic expectations. I learnt a long time ago to simply accept & enjoy the new music from my favourite "older" bands.

U2 will never have another Achtung Baby. Muse won't reproduce Showbiz. Springsteen will never have another Born to Run. James can't give us another Laid. Same with Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie... And so on.

But I buy their new stuff and simply skip the bad songs if there are any. Demanding it to be this or that won't satisfy nostalgia.

I'm not a fan of The Best Thing. But rather than whine about it, I'll accept the band want to indulge and hope the next track is brilliant.

I took my kids to see Twenty-One Pilots last week, and while they are no U2, the singer reminded me of a young Bono. Great performer, goes to great lengths to connect with the crowd. The songs and message are loaded with spiritual references centered on hope, like U2. Despite all those similarities that resonate with kids today, watching them, its never been more abundantly clear how far U2 are from mainstream relevancy with the younger audience. There is a energy, freshness, hunger that youth brings that 4 older (or ancient to my kids) men are never going to capture. U2 is fighting a battle that they cannot win if they are trying to win over kids today.

They need to accept that. They can still be the older band, that is respected by younger generations because they are great, but they need to accept that will always be largely for their back catalog. This should be a freeing thing to do whatever they want, instead of chasing something they are never going to get.

They don't need to return to classic U2 sound (whatever that is). I still believe U2 is best when they are pushing themselves outside of their comfort zone. I think they would do this best by not trying to reach a mainstream younger audience.

Did you see the opener, Mutemath? They're incredible live.

So, despite saying they need to go back to their comfort zone, and then saying there is no comfort zone, you also say that they have done everything they can with the sounds they have used, but want them to go backwards in terms of marketing, and god knows where in terms of sound. Is that about it?

I never mentioned anything about the way they should go musically. Please read again.
It was my toughts only about the marketing strategy i believe could work. The rest of what i said was my views on the path they took until now, and thats about it.
I never said, "oh they should make Joshua tree 2 or go full rock". At least not in this thread.

Last edited:

:bow::bow::bow:
Bow... To the whole post, from the TwentyOnePilots comparisons to today's U2 diagnosis/suggestion.

Some people just have unrealistic expectations. I learnt a long time ago to simply accept & enjoy the new music from my favourite "older" bands.

U2 will never have another Achtung Baby. Muse won't reproduce Showbiz. Springsteen will never have another Born to Run. James can't give us another Laid. Same with Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie... And so on.

But I buy their new stuff and simply skip the bad songs if there are any. Demanding it to be this or that won't satisfy nostalgia.

I'm not a fan of The Best Thing. But rather than whine about it, I'll accept the band want to indulge and hope the next track is brilliant.

But... Who needs another AB/TJT/ATYCLB/Boy when we already have it?
Anyway, you can still put out fascinating albums with a different mystique, but still great.
If Bowie was able to deliever Blackstar right before death, at 69, is that so impossible for other acts like U2 or others?

God we need a new album before we drive each other cr-a cr-a!

In the midst of a discussion / argument about relevancy, appealing to younger generations, marketing and so on, he breaks out the "cr-a cr-a"

And I'm reminded when I use the "cr-a cr-a" phrase my 13 and 11 year old kiddos basically tell me to STFU and stop trying to be the cool Dad.

Ah, youth... but they do allow me to trade Hits 100 for my iPod on long car journeys and EBW is our best sing along song as a family.

:rockon:

Have you heard the full thing and been keeping it from us? :hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom