SOE - Part 8 - iHeart Beach CLips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone think that SOE will be a visual album?

Frank Ocean has just released one. And of course Beyonce has done the same.

With Linear and Films of Innocence, u2 have twice teased such a format, but haven't fully committed to it. In other words, they haven't released the visuals part and parcel with the music on first release.

To listen to Lemonade, you gotta watch it.
Will SOE be the same? (Followed by traditional physical release)

With Linear and Films of Innocence, u2 have twice teased such a format, but haven't fully committed to it. In other words, they haven't released the visuals part and parcel with the music on first release.

If that were the case, would there be a lot of activity that we would catch snippets off in the lead up, such as multiple video shoots and the like? Kind of like with the Dublin bridge thing and the fireworks on the lake in the build up to SOI?

If that were the case, would there be a lot of activity that we would catch snippets off in the lead up, such as multiple video shoots and the like? Kind of like with the Dublin bridge thing and the fireworks on the lake in the build up to SOI?

Well Beyonce managed to keep the Lemonade shoot a secret, I suppose u2 could do the same.

Then again, the visuals wouldn't need to necesarily feature U2

Kind of like with the Dublin bridge thing and the fireworks on the lake in the build up to SOI?

Whatever happened to this stuff? Was it in Films of Innocence? I didn't sit through that

Last edited:

Not to sound like a reddit poster, but I came here to suggest this!

Bono in particular has wanted to expand what an album is for about a decade now. And his talk of a new format with Apple specifically for SoE (which seemed a bit more concrete than just saying 'it would be a nice idea') makes a strong case for a visual album.

A lot of artists seem to stream/digitally release music before the official release these days.

This Frank Ocean thing is close to what i imagine u2 would do.

I could see a single in late september, stream late october, and proper release early to mid november.

On the Metallica thing, I noticed their album is out November 18th but the single is already out.

So the huge gap from single-to-album precedent is there.

Also apparently 'Endless' (the album Frank Ocean just released) is separate from 'Boys don't cry', the album that has been hyped for years and was meant to come any day... for the last year.

So 'Endless' is meant to be a teaser trailer for the 'real' album ('Boys don't cry'), and as such, the former is more avant garde and experimental, whereas the latter is rumoured to be more pop and commercial.

I find that last part really interesting, because u2 have obviously delved into both extremes, and i think have never truly abandoned either.

So wouldn't it be cool in the future if they released two albums back to back, one with more experimental sounds, perhaps with muted promotion which acts as promotion for a 'primary', more commercial album? Each work could commit fully to their respective musical directions.

Imagine if they finally released Songs of Ascent before a 'big' commercial album.

I suppose i am old. I don't need any visuals for my music. the visuals are in my head and heart. Yes, MTV videos were great 30 years ago, but i am over it.

i just want new tunes to LISTEN to.:doh:

I really liked the Films of Innocence. Much more interesting than the "regular" videos that usually come out. California and RBW especially great.

That would be awesome. It's fresh and takes the whole album experience to a new level for today's technology. Colours, patterns that represent an album and pushes the cover artwork further. I'm pretty sure they will go that route for SOE as hinted by Bono a few years back before SOI came out. How do these visual streaming releases go about ? Could this be one of the "Apple" collabs they talked about ? :hmm:

Last edited:
Does anyone else think Larry Mullen Jnr is actually dead like Paul McCartney and he's been replaced by a look alike? The band are trying to keep the look alike hidden as much as they can do as to not blow the secret?

Nope, march was never supposed to be US. The only time a specific country was mentioned was when Oseary confirmed Australia.
I have 0 doubt that the tour will go to Australia (+ NZ probably, maybe a few gigs in Asia) and South America (indoor is absolutely possible, this has been discussed several times now). Both markets could be done in the beginning of 2017. One at the very least. And then of course the tour will return to the US and Europe. Probably some new cities. In the case of Europe some "new" countries as well (Portugal and Eastern Europe come to mind).

I've heard Nov/Dec 2017 for Australia/NZ/Japan.

While Oseary confirmed Australia but I don't recall him confirming a date or if the venues would be indoor or outdoor.

Time will tell.

Also apparently 'Endless' (the album Frank Ocean just released) is separate from 'Boys don't cry', the album that has been hyped for years and was meant to come any day... for the last year.

So 'Endless' is meant to be a teaser trailer for the 'real' album ('Boys don't cry'), and as such, the former is more avant garde and experimental, whereas the latter is rumoured to be more pop and commercial.

I find that last part really interesting, because u2 have obviously delved into both extremes, and i think have never truly abandoned either.

So wouldn't it be cool in the future if they released two albums back to back, one with more experimental sounds, perhaps with muted promotion which acts as promotion for a 'primary', more commercial album? Each work could commit fully to their respective musical directions.

Imagine if they finally released Songs of Ascent before a 'big' commercial album.

I wonder why they released Films of innocence only as a download. It could have been released as a bonusdvd with the album or could have been included in the live-box.

As a fan I would have bought it as a physical release... I like those videos too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

I hear March will be start of US/Europe legs, with plans undetermined thereafter

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Late March/Early April US start. July/August for Europe. And then Aus/NZ/Japan in Nov/Dec.

South America/Mexico would possibly be before the US dates but more likely to be Sept/Oct before Aus/NZ/Japan.

I wonder why they released Films of innocence only as a download. It could have been released as a bonusdvd with the album or could have been included in the live-box.

As a fan I would have bought it as a physical release... I like those videos too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using U2 Interference mobile app

Probably as they already considered it released. And it was conceived as a download. They never intended on it having a physical release.

Yea, what the fuck ever happened with all that supposed footage?

I think the original plan was
Europe- may-July 2016 (I remember hearing rumors to that effect last year)
North America- fall 2016 (I think they were still aiming for this as of a few months ago, but then the plan changed as they took longer to finish album, and take 2 months vacation)
Australia-Asia-South America - early 2017

From what we're hearing now, everything has been pushed back, because U2. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Southern Hemisphere doesn't get visited until early 2018, if not late 2017. North America arenas will probably be in the spring, and who knows if the rest of the world will be stadiums or arenas?

I also wouldn't be surprised if there were 2 NA legs, because there is still A LOT of ground to cover that wasn't in 2015, plus they will probably revisit most of the cities they did that year. 2 European legs are also possible by the same logic. Europe and North America are where the most money is made touring, after all, so they will probably receive priority. Which is unfortunate for those in other territories.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last edited:
I've heard Nov/Dec 2017 for Australia/NZ/Japan.

While Oseary confirmed Australia but I don't recall him confirming a date or if the venues would be indoor or outdoor.

Time will tell.
For what it's worth Oseary confirmed Australia specifically for march 2017.
And we did get a statement (Willie Williams during the Live in Paris screening Q&A if I'm not mistaken) saying it would be the same stage which means arena shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom