SOE 35 - it’s finally here, let the debate on how good/bad it is begin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Always exciting when a new U2 album is about to come out.. I remember skipping school when I was 16 to buy War in the morning and then go and see U2 the same night. Edinburgh Playhouse Feb 28th 1983.

Anyhoo, how are the bonus tracks ? Worth getting ??

Book of Your Heart is growing on me, but I don't think it is a Crystal Ballroom type of hidden gem. The Lights of Home string version is great. I don't like the Ordinary Love mix better than the original, and I dislike the remixed Best Thing . I would have preferred the acoustic version of that song on there. So it is a toss-up for me.

Always exciting when a new U2 album is about to come out.. I remember skipping school when I was 16 to buy War in the morning and then go and see U2 the same night. Edinburgh Playhouse Feb 28th 1983.

Anyhoo, how are the bonus tracks ? Worth getting ??

Book of Your Heart is my favourite of the whole album. Lights of Home (strings) is also near the top. Though, to give you some perspective, I disliked 6/13 tracks of the standard album with love is bigger possibly being the worst U2 song ever imo.

Did anybody else here order via the U2.com shop? I ordered the vinyl a couple of weeks ago, money has been taken for it but the order isn't showing in my online account any more.

i ordered deluxe cd, no receipt money took same day, 3 weeks ago, heard nothing since, email them on tuesday, sent back saying will be shipped on fri 01/12, fukin' raging, what's the point of 'pre-order'? maybe not get to mon/tue next week

When do we get download codes??? tomorrow????

fuck live nation!:angry::angry::angry::angry:

i ordered deluxe cd, no receipt money took same day, 3 weeks ago, heard nothing since, email them on tuesday, sent back saying will be shipped on fri 01/12, fukin' raging, what's the point of 'pre-order'? maybe not get to mon/tue next week

Guess that's the same for all of us who ordered via the U2 website. What a fucking joke. Going to have to listen to this via Spotify.

Yeah, joke do they not realise that release day is important to fans, there's shops that open at midnight tonight in places, but yet U2.COM get you them 3/4 days later, hopefully someone drops a wee itunes rip somewhere .....hint hint.....please!:reject:

if critics already think less of an album because of the age of the artist then they're not going to evaluate it according to its merits. That's why ageism is a problem for a critic.

Thanks, I guess that's the same for all of us although not exactly the service you'd expect when pre-ordering an album.

if critics already think less of an album because of the age of the artist then they're not going to evaluate it according to its merits. That's why ageism is a problem for a critic.

I think that it's not strictly ageism.

Headache is right. Young people like stuff made by other young people for the most part. Or, they like NEW stuff.
And with U2 its not just age. For any band that has been around for a long time, they create a double edge sword. You stay on the same path, and people get bored of your typical sound and they lose interest, and the artist will fade away commercially.
OR, they try new directions and sounds, and the fan base that made you popular to begin with abandons you, and they fade away commercially.

To quote Headache again - It's the nature of things.

But, to be fair here, this should not overly color the critics reviews like it seems to be doing with SOE. They don't seem to be taking the actually current songs on their own merit. Everything is compared to past work, and then run through the Bono-hate-O-meter, and spit out on the other end.

I think that for the band, it would be wise to shift over next time to an album that buys completely into one cohesive sound. SOE has cohesiveness thematically, but the sound is all over the place. Atmospheric, pop, rock, RAWK, by the numbers U2, ballads, dark AB-esque tune, jangly 60's number... the list goes on.

Would just love to hear Danger Mouse and Andy Barlow (or possibly those two helping Eno and Lanois) produce a beautiful atmospheric last album... That was just that. I think you would see greater critical praise.

This is why I typically will wait to buy the album the day it comes out in a real store. I rarely hear about people who order from the band store (or whatever) and get the album right on the day it's released. Amazon supposedly has a better track record with that, but I've never tried it myself.

Did anybody else here order via the U2.com shop? I ordered the vinyl a couple of weeks ago, money has been taken for it but the order isn't showing in my online account any more.

I ordered the vinyl box set and am in the US. Dispatched today but won’t get it for another 7 to 10 days. Amazon has it for $20 cheaper and I could have gotten by tomorrow.

Ordering from U2.com was completely pointless.

I just assumed delivery tomorrow would be a no-brainer. I've used artists' own sites a few times recently, just last week in fact for the Noel Gallagher album which arrived on the day. its not difficult...

Love this:

All the vocals are done with an SM58 in a room. For The Edge’s guitar sound, you stick a mic on the cab and you hit record. There’s nothing fancy. You just come in the room, stick a mic on it and get on with it. So if any engineer asks, How did you get that sound, you just stick an SM58 in front of the source. There is no other answer.

compare that to many vocalists that want their voice run through an 8 level vocal chain.

I completely agree and think the quick Landlady ending is most jarring on the album.

Closing with the symbol crash and a quick fade out gives the impression that the final line of the song – "if the prize is not for you" – is extra important compared to the lines before it.

A gentler ending, by contrast, would allow the amazing four stanzas that come before to be absorbed in their entirety, which seems like what Bono is striving for.

Landlady isn't going to be a radio single, and a lot of music in this streaming age isn't beholden to traditional length limits anymore, so why not apply the slower atmospheric pace of NLOTH-era songs to this superior lyrical product?

Seems like a missed opportunity, but one that's so glaring that I hope some gifted fans will mix extended versions of several of these tracks. Anybody up for the task?

This was a *very quick* edit...but are you thinking of something along these lines?

https://mega.nz/#!VGJTHK5a!WpcKM7zdByzQe0Gag6jsMHyx-hDpScVdc_14FhPleYA

The fade is too abrupt at the end but I'm just messing about at the moment...

The chant portion might work at the end as well (faded more slowly)...every moment / every etc.

FWIW, I thought Lights of Home erred in the opposite direction. Here's that edit:
https://mega.nz/#!QP4QQT6K!xV75Lmo2kAYio2fqVSCtMlYyJZB1dd0-B-E2GF9Pg3I

Let me know what you think and I'll finish Landlady.

ok im listening to the album on Apple Music (it's now on it, officially, at least in Japan) and it sounds better than i initially heard from the leak and CD rip. i know it's not their best work, but sure, i'll take this

I ordered the vinyl and t shirt combo,didn't even ask my shirt size and as far as I know it hasn't been despatched.

This was a *very quick* edit...but are you thinking of something along these lines?

https://mega.nz/#!VGJTHK5a!WpcKM7zdByzQe0Gag6jsMHyx-hDpScVdc_14FhPleYA

The fade is too abrupt at the end but I'm just messing about at the moment...

The chant portion might work at the end as well (faded more slowly)...every moment / every etc.

FWIW, I thought Lights of Home erred in the opposite direction. Here's that edit:
https://mega.nz/#!QP4QQT6K!xV75Lmo2kAYio2fqVSCtMlYyJZB1dd0-B-E2GF9Pg3I

Let me know what you think and I'll finish Landlady.

https://mega.nz/#!wLxQ3I5Q!oVW-v3LJodPYmzqY5oyzpGiECVRBd4uDphuWmsuPSFs

Better fade here but I still think the ending could go on a little longer and/or include the chant in some way...

Love this:

All the vocals are done with an SM58 in a room. For The Edge’s guitar sound, you stick a mic on the cab and you hit record. There’s nothing fancy. You just come in the room, stick a mic on it and get on with it. So if any engineer asks, How did you get that sound, you just stick an SM58 in front of the source. There is no other answer.

compare that to many vocalists that want their voice run through an 8 level vocal chain.
Careful... I have zero doubt that B's voice went through some processing in this album. The cracks and welts that popped up on the last two albums are non-existent.

Breaking News: Young People Prefer Things Done By Other Young People

And that, my friend, is ageism. Just as much as it would be racism to say that white people prefer things done by other white people.

Personally, I like good things, I don't care about the age (or race) of the maker.

I ordered the vinyl and t shirt combo,didn't even ask my shirt size and as far as I know it hasn't been despatched.

I ordered the deluxe box set. When I ordered it I had the order number come up and it says a copy would be sent to my email which was the email I had in 2004 :) they have my new one. I renewed my u2.com membership on there and had the email from that so haven't got a clue why it said it was sending it to my 13 year old no existing email :) abit worried there gonna send the pre sale code to that email address now aswell.

Their rubbish ain't they :) couldn't organise a booze up in a brewery:)

I hear a little on The Showman, but it sounds great.

They're a critical aspect of his singing...they often add a lot (the vulnerability) but can also detract in some instances (Crazy Tonight, for example). Of course, the merits of that song (in the first place) have already debated to death.

ok im listening to the album on Apple Music (it's now on it, officially, at least in Japan) and it sounds better than i initially heard from the leak and CD rip. i know it's not their best work, but sure, i'll take this

That’s why I don’t like listening to leaks...you really don’t know if it’s good.

Back
Top Bottom