SOE 35 - it’s finally here, let the debate on how good/bad it is begin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Up to 10-20 plays now - depending on the song. Here's where I'm at.

My big takeaway at this point is this is an album for us. It's for fans. Which makes the single choices a bit more understandable - they're more mainstream. They're not so much for us.

The rest of the album? So much of what this record is is going to be lost/undervalued/misunderstood if you don't know the U2 backstory and catalogue.
This isn't a classic U2 record. The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby were. Those records were defining. Game changing.
This is a record from a band that spent years being defining, and is now happy to simply defy. Defy age, defy criticism, defy cynicism.
There are a few 'god given rights' in our society. The right for kids to think their parents are unfair and their teachers are mean. The right to think your local council is wasting your money. The right to hate the media. We all do them.
For a section of music fans, those who have come through their youth and are now exploring, creating, forging new musical paths, there is a right to hate a band like U2. They are yesterday, but without the good grace to stay in yesterday. And they have the weight to suck oxygen away from the new acts the defining acts. They are loathed for it.
And that's fine. Finally, it seems, U2 have accepted they'll not win those people over while still making the music they want to make. And that is music that fills arenas and stadiums. Music that soars and leaves a crowd walking away feeling mightier, more elated, more hopeful than they were three hours earlier. Music that tells U2's own story.
It's no surprise this record isn't gaining universal appeal - even on this fan-board. It's nostalgic, emotional, melodramatic. Clumsy and cheesy at times. It's romantic. And that will never have universal appeal.
What seems clear though is that there is a good proportion of U2 fans who love the band because of the very music, themes, ambitions and hopefulness this album taps into. Perhaps that's what attracted them to U2. Perhaps its what moved them during a concert when they felt lifted somewhere higher than they ever expected to feel. Perhaps a lyric that seemed melodramatic or pompous to many cut through and spoke with clarity to them.
For me, it's not a classic. It's not Achtung Baby or The Joshua Tree or The Unforgettable Fire. It's not even Boy or Zooropa. And nor could it have ever been. There's no precedent for a band as big as U2 - and there have only been a handful in history - creating a broad-appeal classic for their 14th album. I suspect it will never happen for the simple fact the audience who decides on what is classic is, at any given moment, considerably younger than U2 are now. Younger musicians and fans are constantly searching to create or find new sounds and styles to exult, not old ones to remember. That's how it should be.
But as a long-time fan of the enormity of the anthems and atmosphere U2 delivered over a 40 year career, Songs of Experience is better than the best thing I thought they could do in 2017.
Kiwilad, that's a pretty darn good summation and yes, I feel it's for the fans.

Really busy these days, but I’ve been able to lurk and see everyone’s thoughts. One of the best reads I’ve had on this forum, thanks folks.

I‘ve only been able to listen to the album 3 times - 1 each day. But maybe that’s a good thing.

This is a strong late-career album - I’m pleasantly surprised with how things turned out. I was expecting something less impressive (judging by what was already released), and with not so much emotion. Bono seems to have poured his heart out when it came to making this album, and the rest of the band sounds fucking great.

Will be posting track reviews and rankings later on - might need more time to get acquainted with some of the songs.

I completely agree and think the quick Landlady ending is most jarring on the album.

Closing with the symbol crash and a quick fade out gives the impression that the final line of the song – "if the prize is not for you" – is extra important compared to the lines before it.

A gentler ending, by contrast, would allow the amazing four stanzas that come before to be absorbed in their entirety, which seems like what Bono is striving for.

Landlady isn't going to be a radio single, and a lot of music in this streaming age isn't beholden to traditional length limits anymore, so why not apply the slower atmospheric pace of NLOTH-era songs to this superior lyrical product?

Seems like a missed opportunity, but one that's so glaring that I hope some gifted fans will mix extended versions of several of these tracks. Anybody up for the task?

One of my few complaints about the album is the tracks that don't allow themselves to develop more, Landlady and Love is Bigger could have both used some Edge solo guitar work.

I am really liking this U2 Experience, it isn't like anything they've done before and is the kind of stuff they should have been doing with the Apple partnership instead of the stuff we got. Giving us new soundboard recordings, mixing the interview clips with songs from that time, it's just put together great. Maybe this will open a door to a U2 Sirius channel someday.

Maybe this will open a door to a U2 Sirius channel someday.

Fingers crossed, that’d be great. If they could tap into the live archives & full shows any way like Pearl Jam does on their station that would be the best thing to come out of that scenario. If they’ve really recorded everything along the way, just play it. Otherwise what a waste.

Did someone mention "ageism" earlier? Here is an example:

"A bit of that appealing, Achtung-era cynicism reemerges in “The Showman (Little More Better)”—“The showman prays his heartache will chart / Making a spectacle of falling apart”—which Bono sings over an incongruously jaunty backing resembling an ’80s buddy-cop montage or a commercial for arthritis pills. "

https://www.avclub.com/u2-gives-too-many-fucks-on-the-insufferable-songs-of-ex-1820789568

20:32

Avoid the plane crash!

Bono is well aware of the death cult, but fights against it because artists can make good music as long as they want to.

Just looked at the YT comments (lol) of the Kimmel visit..... sheesh. Paradise Papers just more fuel for the fire. It never ends.

Also he aged a hell of a lot inthe last few years.

I'm really happy with this album. It's way better than I expected especially after hearing the singles. American Soul works better in context of the album too, but definitely not a fan. Love Is All, Summer of Love, Book of Your Heart are my current standouts.

And fuck me, but it just kind of hit me while listening on my headphones. It may not be the new AB, but it doesn’t need to be. I'd be crushed if I didn't have this guy singing in my ear anymore, so at this point I take what I can. And if I'm pleasantly surprised then it's really a win in my book.

richards-sq.jpg

I'm really happy with this album. It's way better than I expected especially after hearing the singles. American Soul works better in context of the album too, but definitely not a fan. Love Is All, Summer of Love, Book of Your Heart are my current standouts.

And fuck me, but it just kind of hit me while listening on my headphones. It may not be the new AB, but it doesn’t need to be. I'd be crushed if I didn't have this guy singing in my ear anymore, so at this point I take what I can. And if I'm pleasantly surprised then it's really a win in my book.

:up: Definitely lucky we get to keep doing this with our favorite band

very, very well said. I had that thought yesterday about how so much of this album can only be appreciated by fans. Especially those that have been with them for a while.
I think about how I've grown up with them. I've listened earnestly and intently to these 4 guys for 33 years. We've watched them grow and change and reach the highest highs and get their asses knocked down along the way.

We've defended them, loved them, hated them, lost faith in them, believed deeply in them, got bored by them and come back again, just as excited to hear them again.
So when we get to hear Bono sing songs like this. From a new, elder, father, husband perspective. It is pretty damn personal for a lot of us.
Some of us in that stage of our lives, and many seeing ahead to our lives where our kids are grown and leaving and need that advice...
When our relationships sail along or hit big rocks...
So some random music reviewer, will never really get this record. And that's ok. This one means something to me.

This. It’s an entirely personal album and totally relatable by people going through similar life experiences (families, relationships etc). And, like people of a certain age eventually realise, it doesn’t need to give a shit what anyone else thinks. “Don’t do, just be”.

Did you read the quote?....commercial for arthritis pills?.....come on.
They were taking about the song, not the band. And even if they were taking about the band, who cares? Nobody's pushing U2 out of a job of preventing them from making a fair salary because of their age, so let's please save the ageism comments for actual real life problems, not somebody not liking your favorite band.

Who are old, by the way.

This. It’s an entirely personal album and totally relatable by people going through similar life experiences (families, relationships etc). And, like people of a certain age eventually realise, it doesn’t need to give a shit what anyone else thinks. “Don’t do, just be”.

Definitely one of the advantages of getting old...you just don't give a shite as much about other's opinions. I fear for the young coming up in a world where every experience is filtered through how many views or likes it gets.

Always exciting when a new U2 album is about to come out.. I remember skipping school when I was 16 to buy War in the morning and then go and see U2 the same night. Edinburgh Playhouse Feb 28th 1983.

Anyhoo, how are the bonus tracks ? Worth getting ??

They were taking about the song, not the band. And even if they were taking about the band, who cares? Nobody's pushing U2 out of a job of preventing them from making a fair salary because of their age, so let's please save the ageism comments for actual real life problems, not somebody not liking your favorite band.

Who are old, by the way.

Yes I know thew they were talking about the song, but can't you see the little age jab they take in describing said song? They could have used a whole lot of other descriptors that would not have mentioned something clearly associated with age....even "sounds like music for a corn flake commercial."

My point was that once a reviewer starts referencing the band's age, or Bono's taxes, or the Apple fiasco of SOI, I can feel the bias that is going to affect how they view this music.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom