SOE 35 - it’s finally here, let the debate on how good/bad it is begin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, I think my first criticism is that it’s too tight. It needs more air. The unarguable moments in U2’s catalogue — the opening of Streets, the 30-45 seconds after the big FADE AWAYs in Bad, the ending 45 seconds of One and WOWY — are all spacious moments where Bono isn’t singing much (I guess One is sort of an exception) and the music is given room to grow. I could use another 30-45 seconds at the end of Landlady and especially LIB. I could use more space in SOL. Only LT seems to have enough time to fully realize it’s promise.

I'd agree with you that it is tight. Some additional room could have been created with longer intros or some guitar solos (wouldn't a drum solo have been cool), but I love the fact that there are some very different songs in there that zoom by like a breeze.

I would swap Best Thing with The Blackout - Best Thing would work after Landlady, considering they’re thematically alike, and The Blackout belongs at the start for a punch. (Or a smack in the mouth).

I've been wondering why they put Blackout so late in the album. I'm interested in trying your order.

I'm no fan of Sleep Like a Baby Tonight, but it's definitely more "experimental" by U2 standards than anything on SOE.

This album is just... there. Like every recent U2 release it has some undeniable crap - Best Thing and 13 being the worst offenders - and a few keepers like Lights of Home, Blackout, and Love Is Bigger. I've said elsewhere that Bono is the dead weight in the band now, so I won't get into it any further here except to say that it's infuriating that the person who adds the least to the songs insists on being all over them and refuses to hand over much of the spotlight to the other three, all of whom contribute well to this album.

I doubt I will listen to this much, but on the other hand I won't stick the boot into it as hard as I do ATYCLB. So, uh, guess that's a draw?

So Ax, I take it you're a bigger fan of AB, Zooropa, JT, TUF, etc? I only ask because with that assumed, I'd be curious to get your take on Pop. This, to me, (early days talking here) feels like something that could have come between Zooropa and Pop. I don't outwardly adore any one song on this album, though SOL and Little Things are up there. But I didn't love any one song on Pop either, maybe Please. The emotion in the lyrics harkens back to that time, though. I haven't loved much of their stuff the past 20 years. I liked the first 5 tracks of ATYCLB, but barely turn them on now. I despise Bomb and genuinely don't get it. I like NLOTH, really liked it when it first dropped, but can now only listen to it in a self-created, heavily-edited playlist. SOI is meh, last 4 tracks excluded. This is the first album since Pop and hell, maybe Zooropa, where I don't immediately cringe upon listening and hear pain and anguish in the songs. I like that, but would be interested in seeing if this lacks that for you.

The double punch of Get Out and American Soul right up front is pretty deadly. And not in a good way. Not that I'd know, I've already removed them from my playlist and I'll probably never listen to them again, except out of morbid curiosity.

Need to listen..if they’re actually talking about the songs it would be a first! Lol

Seriously tho it would be the first in terms of them doing a show on an album before it actually dropped..

That's exactly what it is - they play clips of the songs and everything before the album has dropped. Don't think any other outlet has been granted this kind of access, it's great!

They said U2 sent them the album early and they had been listening to it. Would be crazy if they were the source of a leak.

I'm no fan of Sleep Like a Baby Tonight, but it's definitely more "experimental" by U2 standards than anything on SOE.

This album is just... there. Like every recent U2 release it has some undeniable crap - Best Thing and 13 being the worst offenders - and a few keepers like Lights of Home, Blackout, and Love Is Bigger. I've said elsewhere that Bono is the dead weight in the band now, so I won't get into it any further here except to say that it's infuriating that the person who adds the least to the songs insists on being all over them and refuses to hand over much of the spotlight to the other three, all of whom contribute well to this album.

I doubt I will listen to this much, but on the other hand I won't stick the boot into it as hard as I do ATYCLB. So, uh, guess that's a draw?

Unbelievable. Slagging 13 shows that you're really not listening. Predictable "analysis" (if it can be even be called that, because you really don't offer any, other than bashing Bono, while it's pretty clear to anyone else that he's a definite strong point on the album).

I think the word “experimental” should be banned from Interference. It’s like nails on a chalkboard or reading a Trump tweet, when it gets so misused and abused.

Could the "too tight" and "need room to breath" crowd point to some specific examples?

I do agree it's tight, but I can't point to specific points where the songs should have had more... like, say, the end of The Troubles, or how Invisible seems like it's missing a verse.

Not saying you're wrong... just would like some specifics so I can judge for myself as I'm not hearing it.

I feel very much unable to weigh in on this album with anything approaching certainty, partly because I am currently quite busy and haven't yet had the time to hear it on a speaker (I think to get a good handle on a song you need to to test it in different environments), and because it is obviously too soon -- I have been wildly off base with my immediate reactions in the past.

Having said all of that, there are some things that stick out for me on SOE. The most immediate is that I feel like I am listening to a band that is quite different from the one I knew and that is mostly in terms of the accessibility of the melodies here. I think (may be wrong) SOE may be the record that starts a new U2. I think this is the point in their careers where they have married the 'very good' with 'great'.

The very good portion is that they are now genuinely good musicians capable of real variety, and you can hear that in the diverse styles of songs here. That it still sounds cohesive is a triumph of production and the fact that U2 are great in terms of their musical sensitivity. This is not to say that they did not have winning melodies in the past, but U2 struck me as a band that, through being greater than the sum of their parts, overcame their limitations and the results were pure magic.

The U2 I knew were, in my opinion, not guys who came up with accessible melodies as a matter of course and the post-2000s U2, till SOE, were a band that had to sweat blood bullets to bring out worthwhile music. All that seems to be left behind on this record.

I am not sure even I understand what I just said. This is an album to be grappled with.

Edit: oh, and another thing. The one thing that is certain is that they, Bono in particular, have gotten their emotional bearings back. Every song on this record takes you where the band wanted you to go, and those places are sometimes dark, at times moonlit, and at other times bathed in sunlight.

As a fellow Bangladeshi, I am proud of you for your excellent post.:up::up::up::up:

Lock yourself in a room, play Achtung Baby on continuous loop, and pretend like it's 1992.

I understand that fan boy praise is frowned upon, but, seriously, what's the point in posting on the forum so many times if everything is so excessively negative.

Sure, you have every right to state your opinion of the new album but your three "keepers" are kind of perplexing. For example, in what universe is "Love is Bigger" better than "Little Things"?

Hello hello!
Is a flac download out there of a cd rip from SOE?
Thanks for an answer and greetings

I do agree it's tight, but I can't point to specific points where the songs should have had more... like, say, the end of The Troubles, or how Invisible seems like it's missing a verse.

I think there should be more in the verses of Lights of Home - it sounds empty and like space was left of some leads but Edge never got around to it. I love the song though, and maybe they gave the spotlight to Bono because of the lyrics. At least there's the crazy strings mix.

U2 did not receive any Grammy nominations this morning. You’re the Best Thing About Me would have been eligible in several categories.

The album, of course, will not be eligible until next year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom