SOE 35 - it’s finally here, let the debate on how good/bad it is begin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I prefer this order but it’s great.

Love is all we have left
Lights of home string version
Get out of your own way
You’re the best thing
Summer of Love
Red flag day
The showman
The little things that give you away
Landlady
Book of your heart
The blackout
Love is bigger than anything in its way
13 (there is a light)

There is a better flow to the tone and order this way. Try Losing American Soul and adding Book after landlady to make a better bridge to the blackout. Having GOOYOW as the first track before Best thing. And use the strings version of lights. Put a DJ mix on for about 4 seconds mix across breaks and magic happens.

Also wanted to post two things:

"Book Of Your Heart" is clearly a b-side, but goddamn it's an interesting one. It doesn't hold the same weight as the other songs, but I find it to be an intriguing listen. When Bono starts singing "the book" in his full throated belting voice near the end, it really takes off.

The Ordinary Love Extraordinary mix really is a huge improvement. It's like they've just made *everything* better. I hate to say this, but we always shit on these guys for overthinking these songs - this may be an example of how giving them a little more time can be beneficial to the songs.

I agree on Book Of Your Heart. I give it major points aesthetically, but wouldn't put it on the same level as the as the best stuff on the album.

The inclusion of the new Ordinary Love mix was the one thing that made me chuckle. These guys have some sort of a complex with this track. This is what, the third or fourth mix? It might've actually become my preferred version had they maintained the original guitar tone instead of replacing it with one mostly bathed in the shimmer-like filter. I like the effect, but in this case I think the cleaner sound worked better.

How would one access these files? I have like 3 albums coming from various ticket purchases and preorders, but reading all these amazing reviews, I’m finding it hard to wait til Friday!

Just curious cstoney73@hotmail.com

Tried to PM you about sending a CD to you but your mailbox was full. I've got your address and will mail a copy to you over the weekend!! Enjoy!!!
Hi, I live in Bangladesh too (hasin and I may be the only two people from the country here). I heard you had copies to spare, so it would be a blessing if you could send two hasin's way (hasin, I hope it is okay if I pick one up from you). Not assuming for one second that you will or should (or that hasin will be okay with me picking it up), this is just a plea. We dont get original physical copies here until months after release as far as I know. If you can't or don't want to or have run out of copies, I absolutely understand. No pressure whatsoever. Just doing it for one fellow fan is a huge favour in itself.

So, I think my first criticism is that it’s too tight. It needs more air. The unarguable moments in U2’s catalogue — the opening of Streets, the 30-45 seconds after the big FADE AWAYs in Bad, the ending 45 seconds of One and WOWY — are all spacious moments where Bono isn’t singing much (I guess One is sort of an exception) and the music is given room to grow. I could use another 30-45 seconds at the end of Landlady and especially LIB. I could use more space in SOL. Only LT seems to have enough time to fully realize it’s promise.
Book of Your Heart has far more breathing room for Edge's guitar parts. I like it for that reason.

What I love about this album is that it's dark, but its undeniably about joy and love. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but it feels more like a companion album to Achtung Baby than Songs of Innocence.

As someone who hasn't listened to it yet, I find this to be very encouraging. I have always loved the u2 that was a bit darker and the u2 that evoked a deep emotional response that very few other bands are capable of. Hence why I think AB is the greatest album of all time. The singles certainly didn't give me this impression but looks like the rest of the album has it in spades.

As someone who hasn't listened to it yet, I find this to be very encouraging. I have always loved the u2 that was a bit darker and the u2 that evoked a deep emotional response that very few other bands are capable of. Hence why I think AB is the greatest album of all time. The singles certainly didn't give me this impression but looks like the rest of the album has it in spades.
Yes, but beware it also has a shitload of bubblegum, Broadway and Beatles.
If you include the two bonus tracks there is enough atmosphere there to impress me. But there's no Acrobat or Love is Blindness here.

Yes, but beware it also has a shitload of bubblegum, Broadway and Beatles.
If you include the two bonus tracks there is enough atmosphere there to impress me. But there's no Acrobat or Love is Blindness here.

I was hoping all the bubblegum was exhausted in the singles :wink:

I kinda figured that this has a bit of a mixture which I'm not that thrilled about but here's hoping that it has enough of those emotionally charged moments that the last one lacked.

If only they would make an album filled with songs like Acrobat and Love is Blindness. I would be in heaven.

Last edited:
Love Is All We Have Left must be on of the best things they have done ever.
It is a reminder of how much "too much" pop songs they have released from 00s and forward.
This is the U2 sound I want...

Love Is All We Have Left must be on of the best things they have done ever.
It is a reminder of how much "too much" pop songs they have released from 00s and forward.
This is the U2 sound I want...
I think it might end up being my favourite from the album.

Tried to substitute the acoustic Best Things in the tracklisting, but that doesn't quite work either. I like the song, but the clean and bright production makes it a tough fit. Has anyone found a better place for it in the tracklisting (and no, I don't want to hear "left off").

I would swap Best Thing with The Blackout - Best Thing would work after Landlady, considering they’re thematically alike, and The Blackout belongs at the start for a punch. (Or a smack in the mouth).

Last edited:
I would swap Best Thing with The Blackout - Best Thing would work after Landlady, considering they’re thematically alike, and The Blackout belongs at the start for a punch. (Or a snack in the mouth).
But then you've front loaded the album with its two heaviest rockers (Lights of Home and Blackout).

So, I think my first criticism is that it’s too tight. It needs more air. The unarguable moments in U2’s catalogue — the opening of Streets, the 30-45 seconds after the big FADE AWAYs in Bad, the ending 45 seconds of One and WOWY — are all spacious moments where Bono isn’t singing much (I guess One is sort of an exception) and the music is given room to grow. I could use another 30-45 seconds at the end of Landlady and especially LIB. I could use more space in SOL. Only LT seems to have enough time to fully realize it’s promise.

Yes, agreed. The songs are too tightly compressed with way too much Bono singing (it feels like 90% of each song involves Bono's vocals in some way) to feel like a unified rock band with decades together worked on them. LIAWHL and Summer of Love, while pleasant songs, both peter out before they can build to anything. Little Things bucks this trend to its benefit.

What I don't understand about this album's reception so far, what I'm truly not hearing, is any kind of the experimentation that's being talked about. What are you guys hearing that I'm not? A good chunk of the album reminds me of ATYCLB's swaying, jangly b-sides, if anything, but polished up to meet commercial standards.

If only they would make an album filled with songs like Acrobat and Love is Blindness. I would be in heaven.

You and me both mate! But we'd never have those two songs if Edge and Aislinn didn't split. And I don't wish tragedy on these guys but we all know they wrote way better when they were miserable.

What I don't understand about this album's reception so far, what I'm truly not hearing, is any kind of the experimentation that's being talked about. What are you guys hearing that I'm not? A good chunk of the album reminds me of ATYCLB's swaying, jangly b-sides, if anything, but polished up to meet commercial standards.

It isn't the jangly stuff I'm impressed by. It's tracks 1, 2, then 9 through to the end. I mean, there is no experimentation in the context of U2 existing in the broader music world. No act is going to hear this and want to follow it as some amazing new thing.

But there is experimentation compared to SOI and the flatness/sameness of that album, and in terms of the horror of American Soul, the safeness of Best Thing/Get Out. And even Blackout, the lyrics are so cheesy, like Bono's scared to say something authentic. Other parts of the album are way more out-on-a-limb than that - lyrically.

So it's exceeding expectations. A lot of it is more ethereal - less grounded in blues-scale boredom.
I thought all U2 had left was Best Thing and American Soul. So hearing Landlady, Little Things, Lights of Home, 13, the opening track - that's pretty cool.

There's not a lot of experimentation on the album, but it's very inspired. Every song feels like it has its own identity and purpose, which is the most important thing for me.

I feel very much unable to weigh in on this album with anything approaching certainty, partly because I am currently quite busy and haven't yet had the time to hear it on a speaker (I think to get a good handle on a song you need to to test it in different environments), and because it is obviously too soon -- I have been wildly off base with my immediate reactions in the past.

Having said all of that, there are some things that stick out for me on SOE. The most immediate is that I feel like I am listening to a band that is quite different from the one I knew and that is mostly in terms of the accessibility of the melodies here. I think (may be wrong) SOE may be the record that starts a new U2. I think this is the point in their careers where they have married the 'very good' with 'great'.

The very good portion is that they are now genuinely good musicians capable of real variety, and you can hear that in the diverse styles of songs here. That it still sounds cohesive is a triumph of production and the fact that U2 are great in terms of their musical sensitivity. This is not to say that they did not have winning melodies in the past, but U2 struck me as a band that, through being greater than the sum of their parts, overcame their limitations and the results were pure magic.

The U2 I knew were, in my opinion, not guys who came up with accessible melodies as a matter of course and the post-2000s U2, till SOE, were a band that had to sweat blood bullets to bring out worthwhile music. All that seems to be left behind on this record.

I am not sure even I understand what I just said. This is an album to be grappled with.

Edit: oh, and another thing. The one thing that is certain is that they, Bono in particular, have gotten their emotional bearings back. Every song on this record takes you where the band wanted you to go, and those places are sometimes dark, at times moonlit, and at other times bathed in sunlight.

Last edited:
I have a much different take on tracks 3 through 5 than most here… I think Best Thing and Get Out absolutely belong on this record, and fit and flow well. The two tracks that I think stick out, thematically, are an obvious and not so obvious choice – American Soul and Summer of Love. Now I don’t hate American Soul as much as others, and I think Summer of Love is a great tune – but they’re both clearly about current events, whereas the rest of the album is incredibly personal in nature.

The first two tracks floor me in every possible way. This is the strongest 1-2 punch from a U2 album since Achtung Baby. First with Love Is All We Have Left – an ethereal song about one’s own mortality. But Lights of Home (and btw I’ll differ again in that I MUCH prefer the album version to the strings version, which doesn’t work for me) is where it really kicks in, especially when you tie it back to Iris. This song could go so many different ways in interpretation (Bono’s best lyrics always do) – but I think this is Bono contemplating death, the afterlife, and if his mom will recognize him in heaven. He references the bike crash pretty directly here…
“shouldn’t be here ‘cause I should be dead”…
”thought my head was harder than ground”…
“hey, I’ve been waiting to get home a long time…”
“do you know my name? … in your eyes I see it, the lights of home”

Then with the callback to Iris… specifically a part that was written as if it was Bono’s mom talking to him “see yourself to be yourself”… almost as if his mom is calling down to him telling him he’s going to be okay.

And with this thought, Best Thing makes much more sense… especially the start… “when you look so good, the pain in your face doesn’t show”. Very tongue and cheek reference to his cracked face. This life altering event took place, and now he’s reflecting back.

Get Out has always been more personal in nature than political… and I’ve changed my mind about who the letter is written to. I don’t think it’s a letter to his daughters (nor did I ever think it was a silly letter to America). I think it’s a letter to himself. The Kendrick Lamar part actually makes significantly more sense when you look at the song this way.

American Soul is where it changes… but I guess when you consider Bono and how politically active he is it’s hard to think of him not dragging politics into it somehow. As I said earlier, I don’t hate American Soul as much as many… but if there’s a clunker, this is it. I’d have been happy if the political diversion was left at Summer of Love.

Summer of Love is a terrific tune – thematically it doesn’t fit the album, but it would have been a shame to have left it out. It also is one of those lyrics that people could see as a love song rather than a song about Aleppo, so it works better than American Soul in that vein.

Red Flag Day is a nice transition out of the political diversion – I can see it as a song about refugees fleeing Syria, but I can also see it as a song about Ali – with a little tie back to Every Breaking Wave “I’ll meet you where the waves are breaking”. Another one of Bono’s lyrics that can be read in different ways.

The Showman & The Little Things That Give You Away are partners. Showman is the upbeat, tongue and cheek critique of singers – a self-deprecating look at Bono’s struggles. I do wonder if Bono maybe struggled with depression – and that’s tied into this mysterious ailment that nobody seems to want to talk about. Showman talks about being up late at night, unable to sleep - which ties directly to Little Things, which is absolutely gorgeous and a stunner. I absolutely think this one is also autobiographical – with younger Bono talking to current self through the first half, and then the “sometimes…” part is the current Bono talking about his inner demons. The end… “the pane of glass shatters, and you’re the only thing that matters, but I can’t see you through the tears…” is now about Ali helping him get through these demons.

Which comes into Landlady… a beautiful take on coming to the realization that you’ve been taking your loved one for granted. I think it’s intentional that this is the start of “part 3” of the album and not merely a timing thing. This is now the letters to his loved ones part of the album.

I don’t see Blackout as political whatsoever. Sure, maybe he tweaked a lyric to make it have multiple meetings, but Blackout is Bono’s letter to the Adam, Larry and Edge – their struggle for late career relevance and the missteps (see Songs of Innocence & Apple), the uncertainty over Bono’s future (be it from the bike crash or whatever other incident may have occurred... when the lights go out could be taken literally about bono’s noggin or metaphorically about celebrity) … but don’t you ever doubt the light that we can really be.

Love Is Bigger is to his kids. This is the cliché’ song, but the music and message is beautiful and it works.

13 I think is current Bono writing a letter to himself – specifically his 13 year old self, the last year of his life before his mom died and his life turned upside down, and this whole crazy journey started.

This is a terrific album – musically and lyrically. It’s been a long time since they’ve put out something this cohesive from top to bottom. As good as Songs of Innocence was, it never had that “magic” that really good U2 albums have. It’s as if it was polished away in the studio. This also seems like one work, built from the group up with a mission and theme and that they stuck with it, as opposed to the disjointed nature of Innocence and No Line On The Horizon, where the split in producers, where they knew they were going to go in a different direction, is evident and brings down both works.

This is a deep and dark album, but not depressingly so, with touches of joy throughout. It reconnects with the ethereal/classic U2 sound without being derivative, remaining fresh and modern sounding. There are warts, but they’re fewer and further between than the past two works.

As for criticisms? Yea, American Soul sticks out as the clunker of the bunch, but it’s not as bad as a Boots or Stand Up Comedy. I also think that Bono’s voice sounds so good that they probably did a lot of studio magic on it, and I’m not sure how some of the songs will translate live (Love Is Bigger, for example). And the single choices aren’t reflective of the album at all (even though I think Best Things and Get Out work well on the album). If they needed an uptempo number for the first single, Lights of Home or Red Flag Day would have been my choices. Alas… I’m hoping they really explore some of the tracks beyond Best Thing and Get Out on these upcoming promo appearances (and please god that doesn’t mean American Soul). If it were up to me I’d have them play Little Things and Lights of Home for SNL, and then drop in Best Thing as the “third song during the closing credits” if they get it.

I think I’ve gone on long enough now :reject:

Really appreciate this take on it, you as a mainstay of interference, and me as someone who hasn't yet heard SoE.

Best Thing is actually starting to grow on me in recent days.

My brother loved The Best Thing when it was released, and he is NOT a U2 fan. I asked him why, and he said he likes how warm and bright it sounds, unlike Boots or Vertigo. He even adds it to playlists. Today he overheard me listening to Summer of Love, dug it, and then asked "when's the album listening party?" Lol. I guess we're going to listen to the album together when it's officially released. I'm not expecting him to like the rest of it, but if he does, that will be cool.

But there is experimentation compared to SOI and the flatness/sameness of that album, and in terms of the horror of American Soul, the safeness of Best Thing/Get Out. And even Blackout, the lyrics are so cheesy, like Bono's scared to say something authentic. Other parts of the album are way more out-on-a-limb than that - lyrically.

I'm no fan of Sleep Like a Baby Tonight, but it's definitely more "experimental" by U2 standards than anything on SOE.

This album is just... there. Like every recent U2 release it has some undeniable crap - Best Thing and 13 being the worst offenders - and a few keepers like Lights of Home, Blackout, and Love Is Bigger. I've said elsewhere that Bono is the dead weight in the band now, so I won't get into it any further here except to say that it's infuriating that the person who adds the least to the songs insists on being all over them and refuses to hand over much of the spotlight to the other three, all of whom contribute well to this album.

I doubt I will listen to this much, but on the other hand I won't stick the boot into it as hard as I do ATYCLB. So, uh, guess that's a draw?

I'm no fan of Sleep Like a Baby Tonight, but it's definitely more "experimental" by U2 standards than anything on SOE.

This album is just... there. Like every recent U2 release it has some undeniable crap - Best Thing and 13 being the worst offenders - and a few keepers like Lights of Home, Blackout, and Love Is Bigger. I've said elsewhere that Bono is the dead weight in the band now, so I won't get into it any further here except to say that it's infuriating that the person who adds the least to the songs insists on being all over them and refuses to hand over much of the spotlight to the other three, all of whom contribute well to this album.

I doubt I will listen to this much, but on the other hand I won't stick the boot into it as hard as I do ATYCLB. So, uh, guess that's a draw?

Well Sleep Like a Baby Tonight and Troubles are exceptions in that album, to be fair. And Reach.
I'm not saying this is experimental. Fuck of course it isn't. I'm arguing that a lot of the exaltation and talk of creative U2 will be stemming from how primed we were for an album full of strummed chords and cliches.

And I'll take you on re 13. That's a good lyric. It's got a sinister tone, with the vocal delivery, the hand drum standy up thingies Larry is playing, the melody stays within its limits, doesn't try to do more than it needs to.
Don't come back at me with 'but the Song for Someone chorus is shite' because, the Song for Someone chorus is shite.
But it's a decent effort.

I can see (and will not participate) in endless, senseless debates over “experimentation,” but damn, you’ve got to be cold as ice not to find at least half the album incredibly moving.

Back
Top Bottom