SOE 32: let there be no leak puns..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Edge would bowl unorthodox off breaks and would have a few utterly unique deliveries up his sleeve. Would bat at 8 and be known as the only test century-maker never to hit a 6.

Larry would be a keeper. But silent. Then every now and then he'd whisper some sadistic threat to a batsman, who would then retire hurt.
Larry wouldn't bat. Would refuse to wear the protective gear.

Bono would be the stocky short guy every club team has, who tries really hard to bowl really fast despite his stature and kinda pulls it off. A capable lower order batsman known for his agression and his propensity to run out his teammates.

Adam, you're right Ax. I see him as basically John Wright or Alistair Cook. Fields at slip cause he can't run or throw. But as a batsman just doesn't get out. Sometimes misses a game due to intoxication ala Jesse Ryder.

Guys, I think we killed the forum. But before anyone complains to the mods about four guys hijacking a U2 forum...

Agree about Edge... he'd be unorthodox but I am not sure he'd be an off-spinner. A leggie or a syd barnes type fast medium bowler sounds good to me. Kind of a bowler who defies classification. As a fielder, generally safe but someone who misfields once every innings ala steve waugh. I'd have him batting at number five as a strokemaker; seems the kind of guy who needs to be doing everything, much like...

Bono... this is where I disagree with Kiwilad. Bono is the keeper. He needs to be part of the game every damn delivery. Opens the innings in ODI matches and has a strike rate of more than 100 in ODIs and 85 in Tests, although averaging just 27. Also an excessive appealer and serial sledger.

Larry is the opener. Doesn't talk much, just waiting in the slips for the opposition innings to end so that he can do his stuff. Doesn't do much else. Doesn't fancy hitting boundaries before lunch. Don't ask him about it.

Adam's the skipper and the side's best batsman. He can be number three, as Ax said, but his laidback nature probably gravitates to a longer cup of coffee after winning the toss and going out to join Larry (who's a bitch to get out), so I see him at number four.

Larry and Adam are the regular Test players, while the Test futures of Bono and Edge are always a source of speculation as they are off playing T20 franchise cricket somewhere to, you know, be part of the current conversation.

PS. I have not enjoyed this forum so much in a long time

Last edited:
Guys, I think we killed the forum. But before anyone complains to the mods about four guys hijacking a U2 forum...

Agree about Edge... he'd be unorthodox but I am not sure he'd be an off-spinner. A leggie or a syd barnes type fast medium bowler sounds good to me. Kind of a bowler who defies classification. As a fielder, generally safe but someone who misfields once every innings ala steve waugh. I'd have him batting at number five as a strokemaker; seems the kind of guy who needs to be doing everything, much like...

Bono... this is where I disagree with Kiwilad. Bono is the keeper. He needs to be part of the game every damn delivery. Opens the innings in ODI matches and has a strike rate of more than 100 in ODIs and 85 in Tests, although averaging just 27. Also an excessive appealer and serial sledger.

Larry is the opener. Doesn't talk much, just waiting in the slips for the opposition innings to end so that he can do his stuff. Doesn't do much else. Doesn't fancy hitting boundaries before lunch. Don't ask him about it.

Adam's the skipper and the side's best batsman. He can be number three, as Ax said, but his laidback nature probably gravitates to a longer cup of coffee after winning the toss and going out to join Larry (who's a bitch to get out), so I see him at number four.

Larry and Adam are the regular Test players, while the Test futures of Bono and Edge are always a source of speculation as they are off playing T20 franchise cricket somewhere to, you know, be part of the current conversation.

PS. I have not enjoyed this forum so much in a long time

This is so good. :lol:

Your Bono description sounds close to my Glenn Maxwell/Brendon McCullum suggestion. He's got to get into the headline reel, he needs to be the batsman where when he comes to the crease everybody sits up and waits for the fireworks to begin.

I like the idea of Adam being named at number three, but he hasn't finished that delicious pot of tea he just brewed so when, I don't know, Dik Evans gets out in the second over (as he always does), Adam decides to go out fourth instead.

I need to find someone that looks at me the same way Bono looks at pizza..

889FB550-F1CC-462C-83C7-B8CF4FAF54ED.jpeg

CMIS I accept your Bono over my Bono. Nicely argued.
Agree with the coaching summation too.
Of course one big issue with this team is they used to be good. Very good. Won a bunch of world cups. Sports Illustrated even put them on the cover of their magazine.
Time's marched on and they seldom win anymore, though they still feature an unchanged playing lineup. Means most sports journos keep asking them about their former glory, rather than the series in play.

Has been speculation the team will rehire their old skills coach Lanois and trusted but estranged sports psychologist Eno. Interesting conversation there.

Dedicated fans have noted Larry no longer joins in appeals, as to do so would crack his face. No one has asked him about this though.

At the moment they are the West Indies. But the team appear to finally be planning for succession, at least. Eli Hewson has been batting well for his county. Leo keeps being overlooked for selection though, much to the consternation of his fans. Sensational all-rounder.

One of Edge's daughters will captain the Irish women's team. The other will defect to England for the cash.

CMIS I accept your Bono over my Bono. Nicely argued.
Agree with the coaching summation too.
Of course one big issue with this team is they used to be good. Very good. Won a bunch of world cups. Sports Illustrated even put them on the cover of their magazine.
Time's marched on and they seldom win anymore, though they still feature an unchanged playing lineup. Means most sports journos keep asking them about their former glory, rather than the series in play.

Has been speculation the team will rehire their old skills coach Lanois and trusted but estranged sports psychologist Eno. Interesting conversation there.

Dedicated fans have noted Larry no longer joins in appeals, as to do so would crack his face. No one has asked him about this though.
Yeah, they are trying to emulate their 1987 and 1991 World Cup wins, but cricket was a different game back then.

The vast majority of users are thinking that way now. Like I said... we may have killed it

They are all wrong. This is the best discussion on the U2 part of the forum for a long time.

I guess both Q and RS will once again (oops sorry about hijacking the cricket chit chat - cough, rounders I tells yah) be the two review sites which will deliver no real critical surprises as regards how many * * * * the album gets, pretty much just as they've always been. Safe hands sotospeak.

As or that Q cover... oh god no...

And the **** was of course review stars and not an @u2 sweary word like fuck or fanny.

rounders..

Afghanistan U19 just beat Pakistan U19 to win the Youth Asia Cup.

U2 wrote Miami

By kiwilad............

"Bono would be the stocky short guy every club team has, who tries really hard to bowl really fast despite his stature and kinda pulls it off. A capable lower order batsman known for his agression and his propensity to run out his teammates. "

This is S O F U N N Y !!! It has made my day.

Back
Top Bottom