SOE 32: let there be no leak puns..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cricket. Being Scottish I have to agree, because it is our duty, I mean.. it's just rounders played by men wearing bits of stormtrooper armour and woolly jumpers and funny crash helmets and takes weeks... :shifty:

This is pretty funny. I’m going to tuck this away somewhere.

(I have no actual opinion on cricket, other than it seems quaint, in that long Edwardian afternoon basking in the setting sun of the British Empire kind of way.)

They've already beaten Bangladesh twice, I think. I think they have that inexplicable fund of talent that, like Pakistan, is impervious to lack of facilities and political upheaval.

New Zealand on the other hand always amazes me with the teams they put up with the population and level of interest that you guys have. Consistently my second favourite team.

I really hope Afghanistan can maintain it - and that the ICC make sure they do. I've been infuriated by the ICC failing to expand the game and focusing too much on making dosh for England, Australia, and India. We don't need a repeat of Kenya or Zimbabwe burning out.

After New Zealand's loss to Peru in the soccer and Fiji in the league, I've been joking that we really need to just stick to rugby and cricket. :lol:

(I have no actual opinion on cricket, other than it seems quaint, in that long Edwardian afternoon basking in the setting sun of the British Empire kind of way.)

Baseball but with more scoring more often and funnier names for the fielding positions.

Baseball but with more scoring more often and funnier names for the fielding positions.

A huge difference is that a batter does not have to run every time he strikes the ball. Baseball people have trouble with that.

I really hope Afghanistan can maintain it - and that the ICC make sure they do. I've been infuriated by the ICC failing to expand the game and focusing too much on making dosh for England, Australia, and India. We don't need a repeat of Kenya or Zimbabwe burning out.

After New Zealand's loss to Peru in the soccer and Fiji in the league, I've been joking that we really need to just stick to rugby and cricket. [emoji38]

Dude, the ICC's decisions make releasing Boots as the first single seem like a masterstroke. Also, very pissed about the slow but sure move towards four-day Tests. May as well stop watching if that takes hold

Nothing says depth, articulation, nuance and class like members of a rock band forum intelligently discussing cricket.
I wonder which member of U2 would be the better cricketer...

Scotland is a good team in need of more support. Ireland will start making waves pretty soon, so glad Afghanistan and Ireland have been given Test status
I can't see cricket really taking off in Scotland,not here in Dundee anyway. Never known anyone to watch or play it.

I can't see cricket really taking off in Scotland,not here in Dundee anyway.

Did someone say Dundee??

7hAZqh.gif

Really interested to hear Lights of Home. It hasn’t been on the top of many peoples lists. But it seems like the band is pretty high on it since they have two versions and played it for BBC.

Really interested to hear Lights of Home. It hasn’t been on the top of many peoples lists. But it seems like the band is pretty high on it since they have two versions and played it for BBC.

Yeah, and they also played it for fans after the Blackout filming.
Seems the band is thinking it’s a really good one, and most others, at least so far, have not called it out as a top track.

I was so looking forward to it because of the Haim song that it samples from is so good. And to have Haim on the chorus I thought would really bring something new and cool.

Excited for it.

Seems the band is thinking it’s a really good one, and most others, at least so far, have not called it out as a top track.

I was so looking forward to it because of the Haim song that it samples from is so good. And to have Haim on the chorus I thought would really bring something new and cool.

Excited for it.

100% agreed. Wonderful strategic link too - three girls who have some popular and hipster appeal, who are revered musicians as well

Excited for it.

Oh I forgot about that. Which song did they sample again?

Dude, the ICC's decisions make releasing Boots as the first single seem like a masterstroke. Also, very pissed about the slow but sure move towards four-day Tests. May as well stop watching if that takes hold

Completely agreed. It's really striking to compare the ICC's decisionmaking to World Rugby. The ICC seem to want to actively narrow the sport, so long as Australia, England, and India keep raking in the cash. World Rugby have done a fairly good job - by no means a perfect one, but still good - pushing the game into new countries.

If Eoin Morgan would still played for Ireland, they would already get test status.

No joke. Ed Joyce is the one I feel bad for though, never getting to play Test cricket for either country.

Nothing says depth, articulation, nuance and class like members of a rock band forum intelligently discussing cricket.
I wonder which member of U2 would be the better cricketer...

Adam. Definitely Adam. He'd be the number three you depend upon to anchor an innings in Tests.

Adam. Definitely Adam. He'd be the number three you depend upon to anchor an innings in Tests.

Edge would bowl unorthodox off breaks and would have a few utterly unique deliveries up his sleeve. Would bat at 8 and be known as the only test century-maker never to hit a 6.

Larry would be a keeper. But silent. Then every now and then he'd whisper some sadistic threat to a batsman, who would then retire hurt.
Larry wouldn't bat. Would refuse to wear the protective gear.

Bono would be the stocky short guy every club team has, who tries really hard to bowl really fast despite his stature and kinda pulls it off. A capable lower order batsman known for his agression and his propensity to run out his teammates.

Adam, you're right Ax. I see him as basically John Wright or Alistair Cook. Fields at slip cause he can't run or throw. But as a batsman just doesn't get out. Sometimes misses a game due to intoxication ala Jesse Ryder.

Edge would bowl unorthodox off breaks and would have a few utterly unique deliveries up his sleeve. Would bat at 8 and be known as the only test century-maker never to hit a 6.

Larry would be a keeper. But silent. Then every now and then he'd whisper some sadistic threat to a batsman, who would then retire hurt.

Bono would be the stocky short guy every club team has, who tries really hard to bowl really fast despite his stature and kinda pulls it off. A capable lower order batsman known for his agression and his propensity to run out his teammates.

Adam, you're right Ax. I see him as basically John Wright or Alistair Cook. Fields at slip cause he can't run or throw. But as a batsman just doesn't get out. Sometimes misses a game due to intoxication ala Jesse Ryder.

I kind of just imagine Bono as Glenn Maxwell. Maybe Brendon McCullum if I'm generous.

Larry in his early years would've come out to bat with no protective gear like his fifties idols. But then he would've copped so many bouncers to the head that he now is content to hide behind the stumps.

Sounds spot-on for Edge.

:applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud:

Paul McGuinness would be the coach who seems to say a lot during press conferences but gives away absolutely no information of any value.

Guy Oseary makes a comment during a presser that inadvertently commits the team to a bad strategy.

Back
Top Bottom