SOE 32: let there be no leak puns..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh brother. Next you're going to be telling me he's channeling 1950s noir/car racing movies again too. This guy's out of ideas.
Again... Only heard it once.

But yes, cars seem to come up quite a bit.

Honestly I wish he would have been a little more experimental. Those who dislike songs about the shore probably won't like this one.

But overall I thought it flowed well.

Would you say it appears like Springsteen is finished? Too heavy a reliance on cliches and nostalgia? He may tour this album successfully but then he'll likely vanish?

I personally hate the idea of rehashing old songs, and using samples. So American Soul, 13, and Lights Of Home will all be blemished for me no matter how much I may like the overall products. (Though I hate American Soul, but yeah).

Do You Feel Loved, for example, I like a lot, but I can't find myself comfortable with it because its main riff is from a song by someone else.

Subtle samples, like LNOE, don't bother me, in fact, I can't even tell what is sampled on LNOE. But large, prominent samples do bother me.

I've said this before, and members like Lazarus condescended me, but fuck 'em, my opinion, and I'm allowed to have my pet hates.

broken-record-765056.jpg

Last edited:
Seriously, it’s beyond boring now.

This place is ridiculous. Just full of rude people.

I can never voice my opinion on here without getting talked down on. I don't even post much, and when I do, with my own damn opinion that I'm entitled to, I get posts like this. It's not good enough. It's extremely depressing.

I just want to voice my opinion, on a U2 forum, without constantly being talked down to.

Last edited:
I think you have to remember too, it was even stated on the press release for SOE, is that SOE & SOI are bookend albums. In ways this seems like a double album to some extent.

Overall it sounds like an interesting listen for a band 40 years in.

Fair point, much better response than the other 2

count me as one of the (few) people who are eager for 13.

I don't hate Song for Someone like some people do, and I quite like the chorus melody. given the lightbulb being the central theme for the ie tour, ending this whole cycle with something talking about the light seems appropriate.

it would be more appropriate if it didn't take 3 years to come out... but hey. beggars can't be choosers.

I do like the idea of an atmospheric intro track. Assuming Lights Of Home is strong enough to carry the baton into the rest of the album.

Fair point, much better response than the other 2

You lose your “reasonable response” card when you continually and obstinately make the same point.

If sampling or similarities with other music makes you enjoy something less, you must not have enjoyed new music since the 70s, because NOTHING is wholly original these days.

“That guy used chords!!! The Stones used chords. I hate that song.”

Labelling you a broken record is probably the most appropriate post in this thread.

You lose your “reasonable response” card when you continually and obstinately make the same point.

If sampling or similarities with other music makes you enjoy something less, you must not have enjoyed new music since the 70s, because NOTHING is wholly original these days.

“That guy used chords!!! The Stones used chords. I hate that song.”

Labelling you a broken record is probably the most appropriate post in this thread.

Well I disagree. I've mentioned this sampling thing ONCE before, to which I was jumped on straight away. It then turned into a whole messy debate of "let's jump on this guy because he has an opinion that we find ridiculous". It made me feel quite insulted tbh. My opinion is no more ridiculous than many others on here. Opinions are opinions and this is a message board. If you don't wanna read opinions, or feel the need to insult someone because of their opinions, then forums are gonna be a very draining experience for you. I'm not singling out the person I'm quoting here, it's happened with many members.

The broken record is the attitudes of certain members here. It's a form of bullying tbh, it's supposed to be discussion, not throwing personal insults at people who don't share your opinion.

Also, I didn't realise I have a limited right to receive reasonable responses. I'm not nasty to anyone. I get mad yes, but that's when other people jump on me. The other guy disagreed with me, but at least he did it in a respectful way.

As said, this is a forum, and its a given that you're gonna see opinions you don't agree with. Just be respectful, that's all I'm asking. There's even a guy who hates acronyms and tells people to stop using them. I dunno if he is part-joking here, but acronyms are gonna happen, this is a forum, people aren't gonna stop using acronyms just for one person's annoyance.

I've seen it loads here, people just shit on each other all the time, and it's depressing to read.

I never mentioned chords either btw.

Then people make assumptions about what I apparently like or dislike. And make things up to try and make me look 'wrong'. For example, I still said I enjoy Do You Feel Loved. But you've said weird things like I must have not enjoyed ANYTHING since the 70's.

Only a handful of U2 songs use non-subtle samples. The rest either use very subtle samples, or none at all.

Here's my final word and request:
Instead of people trying to pick my logic apart with meticulous bullcrap, why don't they just, ya know, treat me with respect from now on? Please? I have severe depression in real life, and this place is supposed to be respite, but all I ever see is people being harsh to one another.

Last edited:
It is a personal opinion after a first listen... but what Howya writes about SOE... makes me think „I am not on board“

It may be a grower. For me it didn't sound like U2. It sounded like U2 covering One Republic. Other songs on this record have a hint of that obviously because of Ryan Tedder, but this song actually sounds like it was a One Republic song that they gave to U2.

This is the bad part about having such a long build up to an album, where we get bits and pieces and second hand reviews, etc... people start to form opinions before actually hearing it for themselves. It’s only natural to.

Anyway, it will be cool to get a wide variety of second hand info in the next few weeks.

On that note - why the hell did U2 do those media listening sessions during the JT tour??? We got nearly zero info from any of those. I don’t understand the purpose unless you’re going to let the media spread some info about it. Strange.

It may be a grower. For me it didn't sound like U2. It sounded like U2 covering One Republic. Other songs on this record have a hint of that obviously because of Ryan Tedder, but this song actually sounds like it was a One Republic song that they gave to U2.

Thank you for posting info. It’s only one listen and your opinion may change but it’s cool if you to share.

i for one am VERY excited by your descriptions.

Bah haha! I don't care about sampling music whatsoever, but seriously... What then about the members that continually and obstinately make the same point about hating new U2, post 2000's U2, pop, etc... Any Era of U2? My lord when The Best Thing was released some of the more active users here jumped into every possible discussion to piss on the new song with the same obstinate point again and again. Hell, I see long time users here trash some of the most universally acclaimed and beloved U2 songs every chance they get. Are you and others calling them out for the same obstinate argument?

I've said it a few times in the last few days-this places seems to get less and less welcoming to newer members and those that don't constantly participate here as time goes by. It's becoming more evident as more are visiting this site in anticipation for SOE. Very sad for a U2 forum.

Jarvio I agree with your sentiment re reusing song parts from SOI. Having said that Fire on October is largely Saturday Night from Boy era. And the Twilight guitar riff reappears on October I think. Same with The Cry.
I agree with you, but perhaps not as militantly as you. Let's wait and see how it all meshes as an album.

With Bomb as an exception, U2 have generally written 'albums' as opposed to just collections of songs. I think we should give their 40 years of experience some credit and wait and see how all this plays out as a cohesive whole.

On that note - why the hell did U2 do those media listening sessions during the JT tour??? We got nearly zero info from any of those. I don’t understand the purpose unless you’re going to let the media spread some info about it. Strange.

Well those sessions weren't to get the fans excited. Advanced private listenings are a privilege most members in print and radio advertising get before major releases so they have time to digest the material by release day. Doing it during the tour allowed the band to control the listening environment, keep control of the music and it made sense logistically since they were travelling through the major markets anyway.

The sessions also were to get the media excited & thinking about the new material (which could inform their angle of show reviews i.e. writing how U2 aren't about to become a jukebox band), receive advanced critical feedback from the media members, prep the radio programmers on upcoming singles, and also to schmooze the members with lotsa good food & booze so they're not too hard on potential lackluster material :wink:

Jarvio I agree with your sentiment re reusing song parts from SOI. Having said that Fire on October is largely Saturday Night from Boy era. And the Twilight guitar riff reappears on October I think. Same with The Cry.
I agree with you, but perhaps not as militantly as you. Let's wait and see how it all meshes as an album.

With Bomb as an exception, U2 have generally written 'albums' as opposed to just collections of songs. I think we should give their 40 years of experience some credit and wait and see how all this plays out as a cohesive whole.

I appreciate your response, cheers :up:

Regarding Fire/Saturday Night, that doesn't bother me as Saturday Night wasn't really released. There was a ghost track on Boy I believe, that resembled Fire. But it wasn't a fully fledged album track, so I was cool with that.

It's like, if they put unreleased tracks on a future album, like Mercy, or Wave Of Sorrow, I'd be fine with it. Well let's face it, I'd love it lol, as I love those songs. Hmm, I just had a thought here - after U2 'retire' from making new music, do you think we will see old unreleased tracks be put on future albums? I doubt it, but that would be very cool.

Where does the Twilight riff appear on October? Can't say I've noticed that.

I regret rating the songs out of 10 already. As I said I've heard the record in full just once. Excited to hear it again.

We all do it and personally i appreciate it mainly because you seem to like what was released so far just like me and if we are on the same page, i might love this album!

It’s all just fodder until i hear it of course but i really appreciate you contributing to my excitement.

I don't know if any of y'all listen to the Game of Thrones podcast, A Cast of Kings, but there was an email once that described the show now as popcorn when it used to be steak.

The pacing of the last season was ridiculous but the show is still epic.

Man i love this show!!!!!

I regret rating the songs out of 10 already. As I said I've heard the record in full just once. Excited to hear it again.

Thanks for your impressions, sounds like there are a handful of very good songs.

Well the bass line at the start of EBW is a blatant rip-off of WOWY so on that basis the one supposed classic song on SOI is also a fail.

Would you say it appears like Springsteen is finished? Too heavy a reliance on cliches and nostalgia? He may tour this album successfully but then he'll likely vanish?
It's clear he's packed it in. Sorry cliches about cars, Jersey and the working man. And saxophones are so last century.

I'd really like to hear what Jungleland sounded like before Trump.

Where does the Twilight riff appear on October? Can't say I've noticed that.

The last half minute or so of I Fall Down is virtually the Twilight riff. I like the synergy of that.

I do agree with all your points. I hate American Soul anyway, it's the closest thing to a musical STD (albeit not as catchy) U2 has done since Stand Up Comedy. But the other samples... Let's see how they pull it off before we berate them, is all I'm saying.

The other mindset here is a lot of fans, me included, want U2 to keep growing and pushing themselves. They've never done a pair of connected albums like this before. Maybe it's bold. Maybe it works. We'll find out soon enough!

Back
Top Bottom