SOE 31: Yes, we have no bananas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very true. I will hold on to hope. Can’t imagine they would place it 2nd on the album unless they were very, very confident in it.

Yep only time will tell! Some of the descriptions do concern me too however but knowing myself I often can't find the connections to the descriptions once I listen to the song/ mind you this could be in part because my technical knowledge of music is by far not great so when they start describing some songs I find it hard to imagine them until I heard it. I am however still excited about love is all we have left.

I love Love and Peace or Else but don't care for Ceaderwood Road, so I don't know what to make of it other than they must be describing the guitar sound, which is an aspect I like in both.

Yep me too for lapoe, not very many people love it but I thought it was one of the better songs on htdaab. I love the opening to cederwood but the energy just totally dies off. I always thought this song has so much potential if they kept it more heavy like at the beginning.

Pieces of Iris ?

Did they just, like, decide to rerecord SOI?

Yeah, so if accurate that would be 3 (obvious) samples:

Lights of Home using Iris
American Soul using Volcano
13 using Song for Someone

Well, that certainly would be different as U2 works to evolve to some extent on each album but this seems like they maintained and are looking to enhance....which I cool with as long as it works.

:: snob on::
Someone gets a vinyl leak and plays it on a Crosley? Blech.
::snob off::

Based on Better Call Saul's review, I hate this album. The songs are murky and the lyrics are horrible.

U2 is using lyrics from their last album in the new album...These are two DIFFERENT albums with no connection at all, so why would they do that? I'll tell you...1) They're lazy 2) They're re-recording SOI 3) They're out of ideas

The songs are the worst they've ever recorded.

American Soul...American Stupid
You're the Best Thing About Me....you plain suck
The Blackout....burned out
Get Out Of Your Own Way...and leave me with some Taylor Swift
The Little Things That Give You Away...should have left you far behind

Terrible album...why even bother any more...U2 sucks

:rolleyes:

- Still wondering if this song is still on the album.

I'm ok with the callbacks to SOI. We'll see if they work in the context of the songs but I don't mind them playing around with linking the two albums in both direct and indirect ways.

Reading the twitter descriptions, I wondered if the track at 4:45 could be Red Flag Day. Wishful thinking, maybe. I would be so happy if this ended up on the album. :drool:

That tune on the video sounds good - I hope it's on the album.

From reading those mini reviews, I'm worried about the recycling. I hate the idea of U2 recycling their own music. It takes away the identity of the songs. It's a totally stupid idea IMO. I hate American Soul for that reason, and I am now worried about 13 (There Is A Light) for the same reason. I find it lazy and pointless.

Lights Of Home using some Iris lyrics bothers me less than using the actual tune/melody. I could probably live with that but, again, still lazy and pointless. I don't get it.

Trying to stay positive here but those descriptions just further lead my thinking toward the possibility this album is a complete mess of rehashed ideas, ridiculous lyrics and head scratching production.

I wonder why they seem to so strongly avoid making high tempo songs. Almost every song is mid-tempo, mid-energy nowadays. They seemed so enthused with how well the Boy songs were received on the IE tour, and yet every taste of SOE has been mid-tempo, mid-energy... Also, not every song's main hook needs to be a singalong chorus. Mix it up!

Reading the twitter descriptions, I wondered if the track at 4:45 could be Red Flag Day. Wishful thinking, maybe. I would be so happy if this ended up on the album. :drool:

Or Summer of Love. :heart:

If the clip doesn't show up then there will be a lot of things to hear in the retirement vault collection.

Last edited:
That tune on the video sounds good - I hope it's on the album.

From reading those mini reviews, I'm worried about the recycling. I hate the idea of U2 recycling their own music. It takes away the identity of the songs. It's a totally stupid idea IMO. I hate American Soul for that reason, and I am now worried about 13 (There Is A Light) for the same reason. I find it lazy and pointless.

Lights Of Home using some Iris lyrics bothers me less than using the actual tune/melody. I could probably live with that but, again, still lazy and pointless. I don't get it.
Sorry, meant to quote... Because it's a companion album.

Or Summer of Love. :heart:

If the clip doesn't show up then there will be a lot of things to hear in the retirement vault collection.

We'd probably get about 40 more years worth of music the moment they opened it. :edge:

I'm not getting the aversion to the callbacks. The album is 13 tracks, and if descriptions are accurate only 3 of those contain anything like that. I think the notion that they've done anything out of laziness is off base. It's been presented as Part 1 + Part 2 from the get-go. If you had two albums five years apart that were never presented as related and bits from the last record randomly showed up, I'd get the criticism. I think we have a fair idea by this point of the amount they tend to generate when they record. I kind of doubt they'd decide to crutch on references to an album that was far from their most successful if they weren't going for something artistically.

I'm on a phone so I can't do this leak justice.

Search Saul O'Enigma on Twitter for a full album track by track review.

There are spoilers in there but nothing huge.

He does say at the roundup that it's a far stronger record than SOI.

He does say at the roundup that it's a far stronger record than SOI.

That was another exciting observation by the reviewer.

I really liked SOI and felt it was a very solid album (not many highs but not many lows either). I thought SOI was really enjoyable although the majority of the tracks were just missing something to take them to that next level(whether it be a cool chorus, good guitar riff or catchy melody).

So far the songs I have heard (TBT, GOOYOW and Blackout) all have those missing elements that the “okay/pretty good” songs on SOI were missing(The Miracle, Iris, California, SLABT, Reach, Troubles). The reviewer basically indicated that this trend will continue.

That was another exciting observation by the reviewer.

So far the songs I have heard (TBT, GOOYOW and Blackout) all have those missing elements that the “okay/pretty good” songs on SOI were missing(The Miracle, Iris, California, SLABT, Reach, Troubles). The reviewer basically indicated that this trend will continue.

And those are really good songs.

And really for a double album, lots of more famous double albums would have even more filler for our U2 interference extreme standards.

Last edited:
I really don't have a problem with the idea of the callbacks to SOI. This is something different that they normally don't do, and the two albums go together as a set, anyway, so I'm going to keep an open mind about it.

Let’s look at it this way, had they not recycled songs for this album, it probably takes 6 years to come out

Let’s look at it this way, had they not recycled songs for this album, it probably takes 6 years to come out

:lol:

Fans are spoiled anyways. We all know that when U2 actually calls it quits the desire for their albums will increase when there are no more coming out.

Why is it so hard to understand that these are companion albums and they wanted specific sonic and theme links between them?

If this reduces your enjoyment, you’re an idiot.

The performance occurred about an hour ago, so it should show up soon. Bono wore the hat. He looks ridiculous.

Bono wore that hat :) wearing that hat singing with a mid 20's young hip dj :) what can you say about that. Some things should just be left alone :)

Sits and waits for the cringeworthy performance to pop up on YouTube

Back
Top Bottom