SOE 23 - Return of the Trolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this might happen:

U2 Blackout releases on radio sept 8

Kygo ft U2 the best thing following week.

Both U2 songs but one as the kygo remix. Means promo from both Kygo side and U2 side. Good idea right? Very possible.

As U2songs stated in that article, September 12 might not be the day it's released to radio. Maybe they think it'll take a few days to make the rounds, which means we'll most likely get it on the 8th or before.

I mean more they are saying the best thing and not blackout

Interesting.

If we didn't already know the name of the album, this wouldn't be so weird, right? We'd be assuming it was called The Blackout.

But it is odd to be pushing two song titles, one through media sources and another through fans.

A double single would be fairly novel and show their versatility 40 years after they started.

It's not that unheard of to release multiple songs, a little curious as to how close they'll be, but not uncommon. I noticed this one said "alternative radio", so maybe the idea is to hit two different markets at the same time?

Maybe the blackout will be released via u2.com hence the strange letters and best thing via radio?

It's not that unheard of to release multiple songs, a little curious as to how close they'll be, but not uncommon. I noticed this one said "alternative radio", so maybe the idea is to hit two different markets at the same time?

Right, but wouldn't The Blackout be the one more suited for alternative radio, and TBT gearing more to adult contemporary? Going off what we've heard about them.

Right, but wouldn't The Blackout be the one more suited for alternative radio, and TBT gearing more to adult contemporary? Going off what we've heard about them.

idk the way I'm picturing TBT I can see it being played on "alternative" radio today, and Blackout on more straightforward rock stations.

does a 'radio release' even matter anymore?

as long as it's available for streaming and download (Spotify, iTunes, Google Play etc etc) seems to be all that matter these days.... or am I an outlier?

I mean you're right.

Radio play seems to almost be solely for the over-30 crowd. All the younger people are probably just using Spotify in their cars.

If we didn't already know the name of the album, this wouldn't be so weird, right? We'd be assuming it was called The Blackout.

Why would we assume that when they've already played a song called The Blackout live for a video? I reckon we'd be just as perplexed.

The mixed signals are definitely odd. I can't see a double A-side or anything like that, since those days are long gone. The only bands that do those are small ones comprised of music nerds who think it'd be neat to do something a little like their eighties heroes or whatever.

Well, ever since they dropped Paul McGuine$$, it literally feels like there has been a half assed plan.

Yes the apple release was huge, but it hugely backfired on the band.

I'm not getting hopes up with the 9/8 date or whatever else has been floating about.

Still think something is coming this year but not sure U2 knows what they're doing. Also doesn't help with the TJT tour

I've heard that the radio still matters when it comes to discovering new music, apparently. that's why record companies are obsessed with radios even in the era of streaming music

Why would we assume that when they've already played a song called The Blackout live for a video? I reckon we'd be just as perplexed.

The mixed signals are definitely odd. I can't see a double A-side or anything like that, since those days are long gone. The only bands that do those are small ones comprised of music nerds who think it'd be neat to do something a little like their eighties heroes or whatever.

Honestly at this point all bets are off. The one-off Invisible release and the surprise giveaway of SOI aren't things that many of us would have predicted or thought possible. So we have to be ready for anything at this point.

Which is exciting, in a way. But I just hope whoever is coming up with these ideas or is in charge of putting them into motion are thinking it through better this time.

I just don't understand U2's promotion. They could pay literally anybody in the world, get the best promotional minds, and yet their recent albums have either been dull or clumsy in their release. Small bands without remotely the same resources create more hype with ideas they probably came up with over a few pints and a text the next morning saying "hey that idea last night isn't too bad is it?"

North Star will be on the 20th anniversary edition of either NLOTH or SOI. Mark my words.

Well, Arcade Fire released promo videos for four singles for their new album. I also think Kesha has 3 to 4 videos out for her new album.

It seems immediate market saturation straight away is one strategy.

All strategies have risks and for U2 having a hit in the States is sort of unlikely no matter what approach they take.

Best to enjoy that they are making new music and pray that some of it will be good!

But if they really was just about to launch promo for the new single would they really start plastering all this new JT stuff over the place?

Well they do still have to play the last legs of the JT tour, but the new single promo can't be far away either...if the new single is indeed played live, I just hope it goes over better for the audiences than LGTGYA, and you know, they don't play it dead last in the setlist.

What are you referring to as the bridge if not the 'let me in the sound' section?

"You don't know how beautiful " which I guess is the chorus after listening to it again. I always thought the repeating "get on your boots" was the chorus. The song is just clunky as all hell. If the "beautiful " piece is the chorus it's sad (I think) the chorus of all things ruins the pacing.

I just don't understand U2's promotion. They could pay literally anybody in the world, get the best promotional minds, and yet their recent albums have either been dull or clumsy in their release. Small bands without remotely the same resources create more hype with ideas they probably came up with over a few pints and a text the next morning saying "hey that idea last night isn't too bad is it?"

Most definitely! We can all debate the merits of ATYCLB and HTDAAB until we're blue in the face, but the fact remains; the launch and continued promotion of these records were things of beauty! As far as doing what it took in the early/mid 00s to have a hit record and keep it in the charts for well over a year... NAILED IT.

Then along came NLOTH, and a high school economics class could've come up with a better strategy then what was actually executed. What they did was basically smack everybody over the head, repeatedly, with mediocre material like Boots and Magnificent. Take over BBC, take over Letterman, appear on every awards shows with a stupid song like Boots, etc. It was no surprise to me at all that the album flopped, while the tour was a runaway success.

With SOI, they took a gamble, and they lost... big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom