SOE 23 - Return of the Trolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, what part of the teases of new material fans have received, new videos filmed and a site with a preorder for the vinyl of SOE equals "not looking good"? Come on now.

Right? Its all but in the bag for a single with an imminent release and album in 2017.

LOL, what part of the teases of new material fans have received, new videos filmed and a site with a preorder for the vinyl of SOE equals "not looking good"? Come on now.

Sorry guess you are right, but we have had so many false starts before

But if they really was just about to launch promo for the new single would they really start plastering all this new JT stuff over the place?

But if they really was just about to launch promo for the new single would they really start plastering all this new JT stuff over the place?

Yup. they are still trying to draw interest for the 3rd leg.

Somehow, there will be a dual promotion happening in Q4 with JT tour and SoE album...and if we're good little boys and girls, perhaps they will tease us with a hint or confirmation of the continuation of the SoI/SoE tour at some point in 2018.

Potentially, it's a great time to be a U2 fan.

Somehow, there will be a dual promotion happening in Q4 with JT tour and SoE album...and if we're good little boys and girls, perhaps they will tease us with a hint or confirmation of the continuation of the SoI/SoE tour at some point in 2018.

Haha fingers crossed!! Just having a wobble!

So U2 have just posted on Facebook, and it's something JT related, so still no sign of new album mainstream promo? Not looking good really is it if they are still pushing JT2017

bF6Cp.jpg

In just two weeks, we went from:

Excited that all signs point to 2017 to pizza delivery confirmation it would be 2018 to Pizza delivery bashing to Boots bashing to excited about blackout promotion to Boots bashing with a dash of 2018 it is!

On 9/8, im going to be blasting The Blackout while wearing sexy boots and eating pizza!

What are the chances that U2 will do something at the VMAs this weekend?? They must be in the states or coming very soon with the tour about to start.

I think it's unlikely as the night will be ruled by younger (read: hip) artists (read: women) like Katy Perry (hosting and performing - she needs all the help she can get as her album and tour sales have tanked...) and Taylor Swift (debut of her new video).

All this talk of 'Blackout' as the new single, what about throwing out there playing 'You're the best thing about me' that morphs into the kygo version, with him there to help give the band some street credibility with the kids. Seems like the show usually has a big opener and closer and sometimes it a surprise artist..... We can hope.....

What are the chances that U2 will do something at the VMAs this weekend?? They must be in the states or coming very soon with the tour about to start.

I think it's unlikely as the night will be ruled by younger (read: hip) artists (read: women) like Katy Perry (hosting and performing - she needs all the help she can get as her album and tour sales have tanked...) and Taylor Swift (debut of her new video).

All this talk of 'Blackout' as the new single, what about throwing out there playing 'You're the best thing about me' that morphs into the kygo version, with him there to help give the band some street credibility with the kids. Seems like the show usually has a big opener and closer and sometimes it a surprise artist..... We can hope.....

I'll just say there is no way they will debut a song live again in front of a non U2 crowd, and like you said, the VMAs are not really their demo.

Now I will wish you luck as the snarky replies roll in...

Boots live: the intro is awesome and should be included on the album version. Let me in the sound is great. The real problem is the shitty bridge. It ruins the momentum.

the JT tour is fading quickly, not surprising as the novelty has worn off.

I imagine the band may be regretting having booked a 2nd US leg. Should have gone straight to S America.

Boots live: the intro is awesome and should be included on the album version. Let me in the sound is great. The real problem is the shitty bridge. It ruins the momentum.

What are you referring to as the bridge if not the 'let me in the sound' section?

the JT tour is fading quickly, not surprising as the novelty has worn off.

I imagine the band may be regretting having booked a 2nd US leg. Should have gone straight to S America.

I agree. The only thing I can figure is that it's a way to extract maximum dollars out of markets like Buffalo, New Orleans, St. Louis etc, and getting those cities out of the way so they don't have to worry about them on the EI Tour.

And yes, IMO, the concept has grown stale. I'm glad I saw the JT Tour in Cleveland, it was a great show. Never thought I'd see them do tracks 6-11, so that was incredible for me. But I don't feel the need to see that show again. I was wrestling with going to the Indy show, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass. My $ is spread more thinly than it was prior to having kids, getting married, etc.

Last edited:
Hopefully Blackout has a kind of The Fly vibe going on - that sinister sound with a buzzsaw guitar. For sure, that's one of the greatest lead singles of all time, but something hard hitting and less melodramatic would be great.

U2 have a tendency of late to be melodramatic to the point of cheesiness in their 'rockers' - e.g. Vertigo, Get On Your Boots, and The Miracle. Worryingly, I think all lead singles have got poorer with each subsequent release (yes, The Miracle really is in the nadir of U2 singles).

It would be great to hear Bono in his lower register and start to reign it in again. The restrained and moody Bono of the 90s is Bono at his peak, while all the sonic wonders went on behind his voice.

I'm just worried that they will turn up the melodrama and cheesiness to the maximum. The Best Thing does not fill me with any confidence whatsoever from the Kygo remix. Fair enough, it's only a remix, but the melody is unbelievably generic and dull, and quite obviously contrived. U2 are far far better than this, and it's a major worry if they think this is worthy.

They really need to bring back the mystique and moodiness back into their music. I hope Songs of Experience gives us some of that.

I agree. The only thing I can figure is that it's a way to extract maximum dollars out of markets like Buffalo, New Orleans, St. Louis etc, and getting those cities out of the way so they don't have to worry about them on the EI Tour.

And yes, IMO, the concept has grown stale. I'm glad I saw the JT Tour in Cleveland, it was a great show. Never thought I'd see them do tracks 6-11, so that was incredible for me. But I don't feel the need to see that show again. I was wrestling with going to the Indy show, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass. My $ is spread more thinly than it was prior to having kids, getting married, etc.

yeah this is the 1st tour where I haven't had any desire to see a second show. Only went at all because they were playing my home city. Glad I did it but all in all, forgettable.

Looking forward to something hopefully very different for the SOE shows.

yeah this is the 1st tour where I haven't had any desire to see a second show. Only went at all because they were playing my home city. Glad I did it but all in all, forgettable.

Looking forward to something hopefully very different for the SOE shows.

Agree...Was great to see but I'm always more interested in the new stuff and then seeing how it translates / evolves live!!

at least this points closer to something happening :hyper: in my book all good!:up::hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom