SOE 17: Where The Album Has A Name - The Joshua Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine if U2 aren't doing Bonnaroo, announce a few JT shows only, and make no mention of new material.
I mean, what is the boiling point of Interference?

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

I've been assuming that's what will happen for a few days now, haha.

All the rumours flying around are about JT shows/venues booked, nothing about SoE except that it's either not finished or won't be out till the end of the year even if it is.
Maybe we'll be surprised, but I'd imagine if the new album were at all close, we'd be seeing the same rumours/rumblings about SoE as we're getting about the JT tour.

At most, I'd imagine the band saying "stay tuned for SoE later this year/we're still working on it", but I could just as easily see them not mentioning it at all.

Was looking forward to POP reissue, with 'baby' achtung baby like bonus disc. Popmart celabration on next SoE tour. Instead It's the fucking already chopped down joshua tree (only side a is good). Didn't expect any good new album to arrivé, so was hoping for soms 90's work (well maybe in thee subscribtion gift):wave:

I'd rather have a POP-reissue than this Joshua Tree thing, although I like the u2-activity this moment. But I think The Joshua Tree anniversary shows are all part of a new strategy to get the world at their feet. We all know what happened after the eighties when they 'chopped down the Joshua tree' with their new sounds. They will simulate that era. Create a new Joshua Tree , sell out every show and positive critics around the world, than, after the shows (I guess end of summer 2017) they will chop down the tree another time and surprise us with Songs of Experience, with sounds simular to Achtung Baby/Zooropa. It's all about recreating that succesfull period . Sounds pleasable to me... In this line it could be Songs of Ascent could be released a year and a half after SOE, ala Zooropa.... Or ... is that a bridge too far??

And what about POP? I don't know. They still aren't satisfied with this album, or, by now they are. In the first case they could record it the way they wanted it to be (that means years and years of work) or in the last case a big re-issue in 2022, when Pop is 25 years old. I still like Pop and prefer this album above ATYCLB and HTDDAAB. I really don't like the revised versions on the best of 1990-2000. Man, they ruined 'Gone' completely.

I will be seriously pissed if there is no mention of SOE on Monday. And about JT shows... I will be only pleased if WOWY is played like the ZOO TV version with extended Edge guitar solo at the end.

Sent from my HUAWEI CUN-U29 using U2 Interference mobile app

So, is the general consensus that on Monday we will hear news ONLY about a small JT anniversary tour w/ no mention of SoE album and no mention of the continuation of the SoI&E tour?

At best we'll get some stupid explanation of why they're not done yet (Edge is chasing the pot of gold, etc) and maybe that it'll be out this fall. Absolutely NO ALBUM before September, of the JT2 tour ends in August. Innocence & Experience Tour MIGHT start up again this fall, but my instinct says not until 2018.

This JT tour is being done because for some reason they need to tour NOW, and it can't wait until the album is done and the tour resumes.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last edited:
My wife and I were talking over dinner last night about possible openers and first off we'd both be happy if there was no opening act. Saw Interpol in 2011 open and that was the WORST most boring musical performance I've ever seen, period. I think someone pranked them and put superglue on the bottoms of their feet cus they moved less than the robots at Chuck E Cheese.

But if U2 did go with an opener we thought these groups are at a good growing spot in their career that have a sound that compliments U2 and you have to think they want a band/ act that probably draws a young(ER) enough listener base if that's a qualifier for opening a tour. We came up with:

Fitz & the Tantrums
Alabama Shakes - would make sense in the US and we thought how great would a version of ISHFWILF sound with their lead singer ala R&H live version
The Record Company
Of Monsters and Men - saw them open for Florence + the Machine summer 2016, awesome energy, great sounds. Reminded me of Arcade Fire lite, not as angst-y

We both thought KOL and Mumford have already surpassed that point of opening for U2 even if a stadium gig - they've both done well as headliners and god it was 12 years ago that KOL opened on Vertigo tour. Still would like if either group did appear. If M&S opened & played a song w/ U2 together we imagined Trip Through Your Wires would sound pretty damn good. Even with all the haterade around here for M&S, we've seen them 4 times- 1st time was when they first hit the scene and played in a Chicago bar for 200 people, last was 20,000 people in St. Louis. They've improved their live show each tour despite the lackluster last album they put out. Think how much better TUF sounds live versus the studio album- M&S are just a better live band. You can hear in their music they're trying to figure out what their new sound is but they aren't naturally an electric rock band. They needed to get past banjo rock but it's still their strength and got them recognized. We love their first 2 albums.

Last edited:
So we know for sure there's an announcement on Monday?

I thought the rumor was the 11th? I cant keep up

the major Live Nation/Dodger stadium announcement proved to be Billy Joel.. which is hilarious

So, is the general consensus that on Monday we will hear news ONLY about a small JT anniversary tour w/ no mention of SoE album and no mention of the continuation of the SoI&E tour?
Mention of album? Yes.

Release of album anytime soon? Nah.

And with the rumors going around, I really don't know why anyone is expecting anything else.

Last edited:
Opening bands. For U2, best I've seen is: 1. Pearl Jam 2. Muse 3. Kings Of Leon 4. PJ Harvey

If bands like PJ and Muse open for U2, I could see anyone open for U2. Who would I love to open:

1. Silversun Pickups

What about Gorillaz? ;)

You want the young kids? How about Fall Out Boy/Panic At The Disco :eek:

I'll shut up now.

I'm baffled as to how many people care about the opening act. The majority of the stadium is still in the parking lot

I guess since we are on v17 of waiting for this damn SOE, at least it's something new. However, I will state, the best concerts I go to are the concerts WITHOUT AN OPENING BAND!.

Reference:

U2 i+e tour
Pearl Jam
Bruce Springsteen

I remembered how awful opening bands are when seeing Temple of the Dog this past November....

the best concerts I go to are the concerts WITHOUT AN OPENING BAND!.

Reference:

U2 i+e tour

Pearl Jam

Bruce Springsteen

This. Went to see the Killers in Vegas a few years ago. Had to stand through 3 opening bands that ranged from grating to awful. Was exhausted by the time Killers finally came out.

#old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom