SOE 17: Where The Album Has A Name - The Joshua Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What the flap was the Kermit voice all about anyway? Was it Bono's own creation or a result of someone telling him to sing that way (a voice coach or some such)?

Either way, I doubt he could sing this way today. So sadly the JT shows will sound nothing like they did back in 1987. I actually shudder a little at how crappy some of these songs will sound with his current day voice.

I think he can still belt a few songs out like he did back then but he chooses not to to save his voice.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It'll be interesting if they do come back from a year "away" to spend the best part of 2017 promoting a 30 year old album and holding off on SOE til after the summer.

Not exactly suicide, especially if they drip feed new singles through the year, but a bit of a gamble in terms of cementing some people's view of them as a "heritage act", literally reliving former glories. But it will probably pay off!

Best case scenario, in my opinion, would be
-SOE in March (9th/10th?)
-restarting the IE tour in arenas in the spring (if that rumour's true), few more JT songs than usual, especially during the screen/e-stage segment.
-separate Joshua Tree anniversary stadium gigs in the summer

they could basically have their cake and eat it this way. They don't have to spend a year looking backwards when their new album's sat waiting to be released, and get to celebrate one of their best albums with the added bonus of keeping livenation happy.

very unlikely though.

and like ChargedVT's said, probably no chance of them ending up in Australia. These guys really do get screwed over each time. I bet anything all UK gigs are right before I return, so I don't know why I'm even getting involved in the discussion. :lol:

There was a time when U2 themselves cared. Not long ago actually...

and now it appears that they've wisened up and figured out that the best way to promote a new album isn't through giving it away or a week on Letterman, but to rely on their back catalog to remind people why they are awesome and why they should give the new music a shot.

Meh. Album sales are meaningless. Things make a brief splash and then they're over. U2 doesn't have a big problem selling tickets to concerts. But no one is going to give their new songs multiple streams (the modern measure of music "relevance") if the songs aren't undeniable. 9 shows of songs they've half-avoided for decades isn't going to make anyone care about SOE if the songs are average.

9 shows of songs they've half-avoided for decades isn't going to make anyone care about SOE if the songs are average.

Very true. But it will make some $$$ for their masters (Live Nation).

Which ever way you slice it, the JT thing is either due to Live Nation busting their balls or their own uncertainty in the new material or a combination of both.

Which ever way you slice it, the JT thing is either due to Live Nation busting their balls or their own uncertainty in the new material or a combination of both.

Why can't it be them tapping into some nostalgia in order to generate buzz for the album? Look at that, I sliced it different!

So @U2 is saying an announcement January 9th and tix on sale for "special" shows January 17th. My prediction is single for SEO drops this month, album in Feb/March, and they will tour I+E concurrently with special shows. This will give fans two very different shows to attend and allow them to do stadiums and arenas. I also predicted Ohio State would beat Clemson this last weekend.

Or they want fans to be able to experience that moment in time for them to relive that period or experience it for the first time. At first i was so so on the JT 30th anniversary tour. I for one was 14 when they toured that album and couldn't go. I missed out on Zoo TV as well and it would be pretty cool if they re-toured both of those albums with the same stage set up. Everyone seems to be a little nostalgic right now. I mean Nintendo 64 and Atari were pretty popular this Christmas!!

So @U2 is saying an announcement January 9th and tix on sale for "special" shows January 17th. My prediction is single for SEO drops this month, album in Feb/March, and they will tour I+E concurrently with special shows. This will give fans two very different shows to attend and allow them to do stadiums and arenas. I also predicted Ohio State would beat Clemson this last weekend.

As a loyal OSU fan, that was like watching a train wreck. It was horrifying and yet you couldn't look away.

I hope you are correct about the other stuff though! The idea of touring JT instead of SOE is not really sitting right with me. I can't imagine U2, a group who has always strived for relevance, to just blatantly throw that all away and say "alright, we're now a heritage act! Bring on the $$$$$".

As a loyal OSU fan, that was like watching a train wreck. It was horrifying and yet you couldn't look away.

I hope you are correct about the other stuff though! The idea of touring JT instead of SOE is not really sitting right with me. I can't imagine U2, a group who has always strived for relevance, to just blatantly throw that all away and say "alright, we're now a heritage act! Bring on the $$$$$".

Good to know I have a fellow Buckeye fan here! Born and lived in Bidwell, OH until age 11 but still bleed Scarlett and Gray!!

If they reuse the '87 stage setup does that mean Bono is going to dress like a pirate again?

This may be the best Interference post ever.

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

He did make a fairly bloody decent pirate though. Especially with that aaarrrgggghhhh at the end of Rattle and Hum's Pride.

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

Every tour they do is about making money, and bands have been doing shows/mini-tours/festivals celebrating anniversaries more and more often and nobody gives a turkey.

If Songs of Experience was ready to go, they wouldn't be doing this. Clearly it isn't.

I actually hope that's true now. I'd much rather a late 2017 SoE release because it's not done yet, than because it's finished but they're prioritising anniversary shows. The idea of sitting on a finished album for almost a whole year, as infuriating as it sounds, doesn't really strike me as something they'd actually do.

I was concerned that if it's not done, touring TJT isn't going to help, and might prevent SoE ever getting done - but if these shows are only 5-8 per leg (15-20 in total max), that's not too much time taken out of the year, so I still have hope.

Rumour is of shows in May/June, so it'll be interesting to see their studio activity between now and then.

I actually hope that's true now. I'd much rather a late 2017 SoE release because it's not done yet, than because it's finished but they're prioritising anniversary shows. The idea of sitting on a finished album for almost a whole year, as infuriating as it sounds, doesn't really strike me as something they'd actually do.

I was concerned that if it's not done, touring TJT isn't going to help, and might prevent SoE ever getting done - but if these shows are only 5-8 per leg (15-20 in total max), that's not too much time taken out of the year, so I still have hope.

Rumour is of shows in May/June, so it'll be interesting to see their studio activity between now and then.

As much as I'd love to see a JT30 show thingy, I absolutely hate the idea of them prioritising this over getting SOE finished, if that is actually what's happening, which obviously we don't really know yet. If it is, they could just have easily have done JT30 shows later in the year, when most of the original JT tour actually happened, and finished SOE in the meantime. The majority of original JT shows happened in the 3rd leg in the US from September through December 1987, which funnily enough seemed to be a mixture of stadium and arena shows at the same time!

Alan Cross is certainly well connected in the music industry... but he's also taken rumors on fan sites that had zero credibility and ran with them as if they were sourced.

So take what he says with a grain of salt.

His info in this case matches the rumblings though, and I've not been online at all. Just getting caught up on all this, tbh. Take that for what you will.

Yeah - so all the sources talking about SOE are pointing to recording finishing - not necessarily the album being finished. I stand by the theory that Bono, Adam and Larry are done, and Edge has been given the first few months of the year (up until TJT) to tinker. It'll get mixed, mastered etc while they are on the road for 1-2 months tops with TJT (probably play 15 or so shows total between US and Europe to not saturate the market), might play a few new tunes, have a single out that they can shill to a live audience, drop the album in the second half of the year, resume I+e in Q4-17 or Q1-18.

As much as I'd love to see a JT30 show thingy, I absolutely hate the idea of them prioritising this over getting SOE finished, if that is actually what's happening, which obviously we don't really know yet. If it is, they could just have easily have done JT30 shows later in the year, when most of the original JT tour actually happened, and finished SOE in the meantime. The majority of original JT shows happened in the 3rd leg in the US from September through December 1987, which funnily enough seemed to be a mixture of stadium and arena shows at the same time!

Yup, I feel the same way. I can understand not wanting to promote JT & SoE at the same time though - any band would want to promote a new album without the 'baggage' of anything else. Even if they tie in nicely together, it's probably best not to have any 'distractions' from the new material (especially given u2 are at that stage where their older stuff is much better known than their newer stuff).

I think Dan Smee sums it up nicely - the album's probably recorded, but not 'done'. In Autumn 2016 they went all the way past the 6 week mixing stage and still weren't happy, so recording and mixing doesn't necessarily mean done (as Alan Cross quoted, "U2 are great at making albums, but terrible at finishing them").

I think the best we can hope for is a single during the Joshua Tree shows, which could be really cool, and could be a nice compromise between tying SoE into JT, and giving it room to breathe (by having the album release after the JT shows). Expose the single to audiences at massive stadium shows, but promote the album itself after all that, with no JT distractions.

Most likely I think is a single in september though.

Yeah - so all the sources talking about SOE are pointing to recording finishing - not necessarily the album being finished. I stand by the theory that Bono, Adam and Larry are done, and Edge has been given the first few months of the year (up until TJT) to tinker. It'll get mixed, mastered etc while they are on the road for 1-2 months tops with TJT (probably play 15 or so shows total between US and Europe to not saturate the market), might play a few new tunes, have a single out that they can shill to a live audience, drop the album in the second half of the year, resume I+e in Q4-17 or Q1-18.

I would think the album is done. I think given their several mishaps in this area, there is no way the band as a whole goes on record saying 2017 if it's not done. Especially given the fact they'll be touring, they know this doesn't work for them.

I would think the album is done. I think given their several mishaps in this area, there is no way the band as a whole goes on record saying 2017 if it's not done. Especially given the fact they'll be touring, they know this doesn't work for them.

So do you reckon the album will come out before/during the JT shows, as opposed to after?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom