SOE 14: The Morning after Meltdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With all this talk, it makes me even more intrigued to see what they'd produce if they did take a different approach to writing and recording with someone like Rick Rubin. Obviously they've tried that before, but I'd have thought they'd be keen to experiment a bit more in their older age.

??? How are you equating 'experiment' with Rubin? Rubin was the one to tell them to come in with finished songs.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

??? How are you equating 'experiment' with Rubin? Rubin was the one to tell them to come in with finished songs.

Because I get the impression Rubin works to a timeline and a process which ends up with an album at the end of it rather than something which continues to be tinkered with, reworked etc.

I don't think anyone was surprised. I sure wasn't. Just more of "here we go again".

I'm butt-hurt because I actually believed Bono when SOI came out and he talked about the next one coming out soon, and even played on the "yeah, we've said it before..."

Granted, if it does come out in the Spring, that's sooner than the previous breaks in albums.

But from what we all could gather, this album was ready to go. The single was mixed, set up, and ready to launch.

And they got cold feet again. That is what is so annoying about this band. They cannot stop tinkering for that hit.

Listening to those NLOTH videos, there were some cool tunes in there. Not going to say everyone of them turned out worse in the final mix, but a lot of them had such stronger Edge than what made it to the record. They need to stop polishing the songs to be like potential singles, and just release them as songs.

I think we all know their time in the sun as the "biggest band in the world" are over. There isn't a biggest band in the world, not when someone can record a song on YouTube and get 30 million views.

Time to make interesting songs, and not try to be the Beatles.

That clip Adam posted of SOE being born sounded so good,i pray to God they haven't cut the balls off the album!

Sent from my Hudl 2 using U2 Interference mobile app

From what I understand, Rubin expects people to come in with at least mostly finished songs. Then he tells them what they need to do to finish them and make them better songs. He isn't interested in bands who spend hours upon hours jamming, waiting for moments to arrive that can spark the creation of a song. He also isn't into over-tinkering. It's no surprise U2 didn't work out with him, as they are pretty much polar opposites. I'm surprised it was ever suggested they work together to begin with. I'd like to hear Rick's take on it sometime.

From what I understand, Rubin expects people to come in with at least mostly finished songs. Then he tells them what they need to do to finish them and make them better songs. He isn't interested in bands who spend hours upon hours jamming, waiting for moments to arrive that can spark the creation of a song. He also isn't into over-tinkering. It's no surprise U2 didn't work out with him, as they are pretty much polar opposites. I'm surprised it was ever suggested they work together to begin with. I'd like to hear Rick's take on it sometime.

Exactly, plus that eliminates experimental U2.

14524400_1123030951067818_452735943988971452_o.jpg

This song would have been so great to have been released. Really miss not hearing what All My Life could have been. Mind you, this version is great the way it is so probably why U2 didn't release it. Their second guessing has been frustrating over the years.

:hyper::hyper::hyper: Hope it's an album and not some greatest hits compilation like it was rumored to be.

They seem to be approaching the end of their four-year cycle between albums, so a new album seems likely! Depeche Mode is nothing but consistent with that timeline since the 2000s started.

Plus they have half-a-dozen greatest hits albums out already. More than enough.

They seem to be approaching the end of their four-year cycle between albums, so a new album seems likely! Depeche Mode is nothing but consistent with that timeline since the 2000s started.

Plus they have half-a-dozen greatest hits albums out already. More than enough.

Very excited about this. Their albums in the last 20 years have been consistently decent with a couple stand out tunes. And YES this is how you tease your fans properly.

It's so sad to see this place now that there's no hope.

So let me inject a rumor into the vein of Interference.

We're in a great silence right now.

The last time we had a great silence after some steady rumblings, Songs of Innocence came out.

It'll pick up a good bit next week due to Dreamforce. But after that, this place is going to be a ghost town at least for the rest of 2016.

I hope not. This is really the only forum that is somewhat alive right now. Others have been a ghost town over the past months already. So sad during these exciting and yet excrutiating times. It's better to suffer together than alone ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom