So how many DVDs are there going to be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Once, I heard that Milan was filmed for a release, but then later they said that the band was not pleased with it...

Then Croke 2 is filmed...

Now Mexico (both nights?) has been filmed for a DVD release...

What's going on here?

Milan and Croke are the same setlist, but Mexico is different... if it makes any sense, I'd release the Mexico DVD for it's setlist... start COBL end with 40...

Any updates on this? Unless a 3 DVD set is in the works... or if they choose to release a DVD year by year?

theu2fly said:
Milan and Croke are the same setlist

They're not.

if it makes any sense, I'd release the Mexico DVD for it's setlist... start COBL end with 40...

Sounds like Chicago to me.

Milan was the only show shot by Hamish Hamilton's team.

What do you mean they weren't pleased with it? You're referring to the Chicago shows. The band was in love with Milan that night. Bono kept saying "we'll never forget this" on and on and on and it was truly the best show I've seen (been to 4). This will make a DVD, trust me.

We'll get a Maximum of 2 DVD's released from this tour.....and one of them is out already.

Mexico was filmed for IMAX release, so..while I've seen some IMAX movies out on dvd, I guess it could be the third dvd from the tour.
I would be in favour of Milan to be released rather than Mexico, totally diffrent setlist (start with Vertigo, end with Vertigo)

As Axver said, Meixco is started with COBL and ended with "40"...its Chicago all over again.
That said, we only have to look at Slane and the Boston DVD.

They could make this a lot easier and just release every show :lol:

U2FanPeter said:
I'm thinking mexico is camera rehearsal in the same way that vancouver was to the chicago dvd.

u2fp

:hmm: We do know that Sao Paulo (spelling?) is going to be broadcast.....

However, Mexico was done with those Imax camreas apparently.

U2FanPeter said:
I'm thinking mexico is camera rehearsal in the same way that vancouver was to the chicago dvd.

u2fp

There was a post on here with a quote saying Mexico was a rehearsal for Buenos Aires ...

U2FanPeter said:
Willie mentioned mexico imax was a test.

also, they wouldn't use the second show of a tour leg for a concert video

u2fp

from reading another thread that had a quote from his diary, I believe Willie said the imax test was done on the last leg of the tour. Maybe arenas just didn't do it for them and they're seeing what it'll be like in a stadium set up? Cameras can be seen in pictures from both nights... :shrug:

U2dork said:

from reading another thread that had a quote from his diary, I believe Willie said the imax test was done on the last leg of the tour. Maybe arenas just didn't do it for them and they're seeing what it'll be like in a stadium set up? Cameras can be seen in pictures from both nights... :shrug:

I think he said they did some camera testing on the 3rd leg. I dont think they did a full test shooting though. Apparantly that is what was done in Mexico. They were apparantly testing for Buenos Aires like Vancouver was for Chicago as U2fanPeter indicated.

The DVDs will be Chicago (obviously) and most likely Milan. There is apparantly going to be an IMAX release of Buenos Aires. This would most likely not be put onto any type of DVD release. The Stones did the same thing for their Steel Wheels tour back in 89. They had an official video and then an IMAX release that played in IMAX theaters (most amusement parks that summer).

For TheU2Fly, I'm glad to see you are not listing Croke 3 as being shot. But Croke 2 isnt being released either. Willie himself said in his diary it was for archival purposes only and they did not have the full production there that they use for official releases. There could be some clips as bonus footage or something, but it is HIGHLY unlikely this full show will see any type of full official release.

Not only Buenos Aires , but also Sao Paulo and Chile´s concert is going to be filme , so I heard about a Best of South america , which by seeing this I star to not doubt it .

J_NP said:
Not only Buenos Aires , but also Sao Paulo and Chile´s concert is going to be filme , so I heard about a Best of South america , which by seeing this I star to not doubt it .

Those shows are being broadcast (like Popmart was). Apparantly though only Buenos Aires is being shot for the IMAX release.

Blue Room said:

Those shows are being broadcast (like Popmart was). Apparantly though only Buenos Aires is being shot for the IMAX release.

Where did you read that ?

Some information from U2.com about the Mexico City concerts:

The cameras were on stage tonight, second show in succession, and the band were using them more, playing with them, reacting to them. Something interesting is going on...but our lips are sealed, we'll bring you more on this in the coming days.

Maybe they will release the Buenos Aires DVD in Europe and the Milan DVD in North America.

Serious Questions: Is Imax now making film or Hi-Def video? 3D or 2D? Didn't Imax a bunch of artists several years ago for some 4-years in the making 3D concert new technology?

u2fp

I could live without Croke...

Milan has a good crowd interaction, but you couldn't beat Mexico's setlist...

Let's compare setlists:

Mexico, the 2nd night:

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Beautiful Day
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

Encore(s):
Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
With Or Without You
Fast Cars
Original Of The Species

PROS: COBL opening, Until The End Of The World -> New Year's Day Combo, Stuck In A Moment, Fast Cars, 40, No Miracle Drug or Electric Co.

CONS: No pop material

Now Milano:

Vertigo
I Will Follow
The Electric Co.
Elevation
New Year's Day
Beautiful Day
All I Want Is You
City Of Blinding Lights
Miracle Drug
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
One

encore(s):
Zoo Station
The Fly
With Or Without You
Original Of The Species
All Because Of You
Yahweh
Vertigo

PROS: All I Want Is You, I Will Follow

CONS: No Mysterious Ways, or End Of The World, Vertigo X2

Milan is pretty much a repeat of Chicago with a few added songs, but so is Mexico. I feel that Mexico is a better setting for U2, and the songs they played there have a more laid back and segue to them all.

Of course there won't be a Mexico DVD; U2 has already filmed a show in Mexico once before.

U2Man said:
Of course there won't be a Mexico DVD; U2 has already filmed a show in Mexico once before.

exactly what I was going to say

and that show hasn't even been released on DVD yet :madwife:

Last edited:
Little known fact: the Los Angeles rehearsal DVD is being released tomorrow in Azerbaijan and Uruguay only. :wink:

God Part III said:
What do you mean they weren't pleased with it? You're referring to the Chicago shows. The band was in love with Milan that night. Bono kept saying "we'll never forget this" on and on and on and it was truly the best show I've seen (been to 4). This will make a DVD, trust me.

What he meant was they were not pleased with the recording visuals, audio, etc not the concert itself

theu2fly said:
Once, I heard that Milan was filmed for a release, but then later they said that the band was not pleased with it...

Then Croke 2 is filmed...

Now Mexico (both nights?) has been filmed for a DVD release...

What's going on here?

Milan and Croke are the same setlist, but Mexico is different... if it makes any sense, I'd release the Mexico DVD for it's setlist... start COBL end with 40...

Any updates on this? Unless a 3 DVD set is in the works... or if they choose to release a DVD year by year?

What they're actually doing that not to many people know of is recording every show and by doing this every dvd will have a random show on it so nobody knows what they're getting ... actually i quite like this idea ... i wish they would do it

some newspapaers here claim that we can't brinh cameras, because the concert will be recorded here in Chile...

:|

:drool:

I hope that whatever they end up releasing is available on a high definition DVD format. The first HD DVD players should be out before the next U2 DVD is released.

theu2fly said:
I could live without Croke...

Milan has a good crowd interaction, but you couldn't beat Mexico's setlist...

Let's compare setlists:

Mexico, the 2nd night:

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
Beautiful Day
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
One

Encore(s):
Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
With Or Without You
Fast Cars
Original Of The Species

PROS: COBL opening, Until The End Of The World -> New Year's Day Combo, Stuck In A Moment, Fast Cars, 40, No Miracle Drug or Electric Co.

CONS: No pop material

Now Milano:

Vertigo
I Will Follow
The Electric Co.
Elevation
New Year's Day
Beautiful Day
All I Want Is You
City Of Blinding Lights
Miracle Drug
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
One

encore(s):
Zoo Station
The Fly
With Or Without You
Original Of The Species
All Because Of You
Yahweh
Vertigo

PROS: All I Want Is You, I Will Follow

CONS: No Mysterious Ways, or End Of The World, Vertigo X2

Milan is pretty much a repeat of Chicago with a few added songs, but so is Mexico. I feel that Mexico is a better setting for U2, and the songs they played there have a more laid back and segue to them all.

This post makes no sense.
Your pros/cons are personal and I don't really think you think what the band is thinking. It would make a lot of sense releasing the Milan DVD, for several reasons:

The COBL/Vertigo/Elevation opening is the same for Chicago/Mexico, the Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways combo is also the same. It opens with COBL and ends with 40.

Milan, however, is much more different than those two. The screen doesn't come on until COBL, you have All I Want Is You, With or Without You, I Will Follow and a double Vertigo, and Original of the Species with a live orchestra. The reason that they have two DVD's for the Elevation tour is because of the difference between the concerts, and comparing Mexico to Milan, it's evident which one that stands out setlist-wise.
You keep saying that the set is the same with a few added songs, but it's not. It opens with Vertigo, which is a totally different opener, the concert has a totally different feel; it's not just the songs, but also the song order that defines a set. And for the band, releasing a DVD with Vertigox2 makes much more sense than another one with "40".
You also mention "Pros" as COBL opening and UTEOTW/NYD pair, but those things have been seen already. They should release this to show the difference between the shows.
And also, as Willie has noted, both Fast Cars and Stuck In A Moment were not rehearsed. Sure, they might have nailed it, but it's not good enough for an official release, nor is it representative of the tour.
One should also note that the Milan version of Miss Sarajevo is one of the better ones: The opera bit still sounds best (I'm referring to the version from the 20th, so I'm not even biased on this one) and his voice hasn't peaked like that since (ok, I haven't heard all bootlegs from legs 3, but what I've heard doesn't surpass it).
And another note, Mexico City is on the Popmart DVD, I wouldn't say it'd make sense to release it again.
Last, but not least, Hamish Hamilton wasn't there.

Mexico will not be a DVD, but Milan will be.

EDIT: 2000 posts! Hurrah!

I think the best version of the opera bit of Miss Sarajevo was done at Amsterdam III (by general consensus).

U2Man said:
I think the best version of the opera bit of Miss Sarajevo was done at Amsterdam III (by general consensus).

Since when? I totally disagree - that's one of the weaker ones to me. It screams that it's the first performance.

I think Miss Sarajevo hit its peak during the third leg when Bono's voice had some great depth to add to the power that was already there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom