Shuttlecrab! Part XV - Sweet the shell, butter the taste in my mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good evening, Shuttlecrab. Way to drop the ball tonight and not be here. When I wander into my house at 1 AM, I expect Shuttlecock to be there for me.

Excuse me for it being spring break and spending my time making that beautiful yacht...... disappear.

I realized "Last Cock on Earth" and "Staring at the Cock" aren't on the site. I'm not tired, no one's cocking about, and I'm going to write some Shuttlecock songs. See you in a few.

City of Winding Serves

The more you play the worse you feel
The worse you'll abuse your pain pills
I took much less then than I do now

Nylon bird, chafing thighs
A grass court loud with rally cries
There's sweet shuttlecocks in the skies
For partners like us

And I think it's gonna land inbounds
I'm gonna lay out and hit the ground

Oh you have the steeliest of nerves
In the city of winding serves

Those welts on your right calf
Look bigger in team photographs
Rashed legs, purple bruises
And scabs on your knee

I've seen you play through the pain
I've seen the epic shots you've made
Can you see the grass stains on shorts and tees?
When did I get these grass stains I have on shorts and tees?

And I think it's gonna land inbounds
I'm gonna lay out and hit the ground

Aches...aches...aches...aches
Aches may drain my strength to stand
But aches won't take the racquet from my hand

Though you might ruin your favorite shirt
Sometimes you must hit the dirt
Trainers stand by for players who hurt... luckily

Cocks of the Disappeared

Midnight, and Lance's mother
In cut offs and old halter tops
Walks the dark streets
She walks the dark streets

In the dark she sees their headlights
In autos making her wage
Walks the dark streets

Heels clang, an entrepreneur
Spread legs and cheap tattoos
Walks the dark streets

In their cars her tricks sit naked
Works the balls till they're spent and dried
Hear her moans like a siren's call
Ooh...

i'm not a radiohead fan but it sounds that's gotta be a compliment.

Indeed. OKC is easily one of my top 5 albums of all time. Boner & the other Crabs have gone on record saying that they feel the songs are half baked and rushed, but I don't think that is why the record failed. I think it failed because it was such a jaded album in the high flying 90's. It's a lyrical circumcision of the good time kid. Edge's guitar has none of the high flying 'chiming', rather it cuts like a razor blade (so fast that other DJs said, "Damn"). Honestly, if U2 would have released POP a couple of weeks ago they would be being hailed as the only band that matters right now.

They simply released an album that people didn't want to hear for 10 more years. They sure as hell better pull out Discoteque on this next tour. So fitting.

Hey guys, I just finished listening to POP and ATYCLB and I've been thinking two things:

1. I'm as excited as a proton pack to see this tour.

2. I'm beginning to agree with Pitchfork that Bono is dragging the band down.

I'm not even sure what that first part means, and I used to date a guy who was obsessed with U2 and Ghostbusters for almost 3 years. :scratch:

Hey, while you're here, Dalton - were you the one who posted about U2 songs to run to? I'm running a race tomorrow and want to do an all U2 playlist since it's a St. Patrick's Day parade run. :supernerd:

Hey guys, I just finished listening to POP and ATYCLB and I've been thinking two things:

1. I'm as excited as a proton pack to see this tour.

2. I'm beginning to agree with Pitchfork that Bono is dragging the band down.

1. Awesome!

2. {The Commitments}That's fuckin' blasphemy!{/The Commitments}

I kid. That's an interesting argument, and the first I've seen that theory (I don't pay that much attention to Pitchfork - I only really skimmed their review).

I think you should go into EYKIW and posit (sp?) that theory there. ;)

Right now she's running to:

Beautiful Day
Bad/40/Where the Streets Have No Name
Love and Peace or Else
Mysterious Ways
Elevation
Vertigo

and now Magnificent (i'm beginning to hate that song cause she listens to it so much)

ETA - the BD is the Quinency & Sonnance remix

1. Awesome!

2. {The Commitments}That's fuckin' blasphemy!{/The Commitments}

I kid. That's an interesting argument, and the first I've seen that theory (I don't pay that much attention to Pitchfork - I only really skimmed their review).

I think you should go into EYKIW and posit (sp?) that theory there. ;)

2. I think they commented on that in their review of ATYCLB saying that it was some of the best music the band had created and some of the worst lyrics that he had created.

Going back and listening to UF, JT, AB, Zooropa, POP & NLOTH, Breathe, COL the last few days, I have to agree with them. The band is still creating some breathtaking sonic worlds, that he seems unable to match consistently. I'm not sure if he is bored, tired or simply devoid of inspiration, but it seems to me that the rest of the band has to take a more active role in crafting lyrics and melodies until Stella gets her groove back.

I've never done a pre-sale before. Do they have all available areas for sale for those times? Or do they hold back the good stuff and you're stuck with whatever they let you have?

Pop's good studio takes: Do You Feel Loved, Mofo*, Staring at the Sun, Last Night on Earth, Wake Up Dead Man. (5)

Interesting, but absolute messes on the album: Discotheque*, Gone*, Miami*, If You Wear That Velvet Dress, Please*. (5)

Ugh: If God Will Send His Angels, The Playboy Mansion.

IMO.

* - This version has its ass kicked by its live version so much that it took me a while to judge it properly.

Back
Top Bottom