Shuttlecock XXII: Summer of Laz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Cockforce--

Over the years we've been privy to some personal milestones in our little tribe: marriages, births, deaths, moves, promotions, health issues both mental and physical, etc. Personally, I haven't had much of note in my life to talk about but as some of you may be aware, I've been working on my first feature film since back in 2011. I've shared some images from our production shoots but I think it's been quite a while since I gave any update. We've had some big stumbling blocks with our editor and trying to put the final polish on things. I've sunk almost all of my personal income into this thing, and at the rate I make money we're not going to have it fully completed until sometime next year. So my producer convinced me to do some crowdfunding, and to promote that we've cut our first trailer for the film.

Anyway, I'm going to drop the link to our campaign page below, where you can watch my intro video where I blather on for a couple minutes like an idiot, and the trailer comes right after it. Obviously we're in need of money but I really just wanted to share the whole thing with everyone here since I've known many of you for so long, however slightly, and it's kind of a big deal for me. Hope you like what you see and feel free to share it amongst your IRL friends if it seems up their alley.

I eagerly await your feedback, particularly the ridicule of my speech and appearance!

Also:

Red Raincoats official site

I love you all.

P.S. If anyone has a direct line to NSW, can you tell him to come by and check his PMs or roll through here? He's asked me about this project in the past and I wanted to keep him in the loop.
I have to admit, I initially watched this mostly because I was curious to see what Laz looks and sounds like. But the trailer looks great and I'll contribute what I can soon.

Hey Cockforce--

Over the years we've been privy to some personal milestones in our little tribe: marriages, births, deaths, moves, promotions, health issues both mental and physical, etc. Personally, I haven't had much of note in my life to talk about but as some of you may be aware, I've been working on my first feature film since back in 2011. I've shared some images from our production shoots but I think it's been quite a while since I gave any update. We've had some big stumbling blocks with our editor and trying to put the final polish on things. I've sunk almost all of my personal income into this thing, and at the rate I make money we're not going to have it fully completed until sometime next year. So my producer convinced me to do some crowdfunding, and to promote that we've cut our first trailer for the film.

Anyway, I'm going to drop the link to our campaign page below, where you can watch my intro video where I blather on for a couple minutes like an idiot, and the trailer comes right after it. Obviously we're in need of money but I really just wanted to share the whole thing with everyone here since I've known many of you for so long, however slightly, and it's kind of a big deal for me. Hope you like what you see and feel free to share it amongst your IRL friends if it seems up their alley.

I eagerly await your feedback, particularly the ridicule of my speech and appearance!

Also:

I love you all.

P.S. If anyone has a direct line to NSW, can you tell him to come by and check his PMs or roll through here? He's asked me about this project in the past and I wanted to keep him in the loop.

WTF this actually looks really fantastic, and you don’t come across like a complete piece of shit...

Dad

Looking forward to my mini-posters

Gang... when it comes to an end, when one of them dies. Can we promise to have some sort of all-in grieving thing together where we all drink and drown our sorrows? :heart: I'd really like that.

"I hope it IS haunted!"

I think I like Delilah more than Veronika but it's hard to say at this early stage. Looks great, Laz. I'll be contributing as soon as I can.

They're both full of surprises, I assure you.

Congrats on reaching the home stretch. Trailer looks good.

I don't have any money, but good luck with the film.

I have to admit, I initially watched this mostly because I was curious to see what Laz looks and sounds like. But the trailer looks great and I'll contribute what I can soon.

Thanks for the support, everyone! :heart:

I never even received the free gift that was supposed to come in the mail last year.

Unlike U2.com, I will be sending out my crowdfunding perk items in a timely fashion.

WTF this actually looks really fantastic, and you don’t come across like a complete piece of shit...

Dad

Looking forward to my mini-posters

:love: Thank you, my son.

darth-vader-unmasked.png

Gang... when it comes to an end, when one of them dies. Can we promise to have some sort of all-in grieving thing together where we all drink and drown our sorrows? :heart: I'd really like that.

Well that's fucking dark.

Ha same here.

So if you want to listen to an IEM audio of Dirty Day's rehearsal... go here:
https://soundcloud.com/aguz-art

It's... pretty bizarre. The song is a musical background for a big Bono speech about his father, similar to The Ocean. And Edge is "playing" Bob Hewson, singing the first verse. No ZooTV solo, but at least the guitar breakdown is there. Second verse is also omitted, at least in this soundcheck version.

The fact that it features another long speech in a show full of them is just silly. They seriously need to de-Broadway their mindset. They're potentially turning a gigantic live song into a snoozer - it's difficult enough to sell a hidden gem to a big audience, but to dilute it with long-ass speeches? Thank goodness Acrobat didn't get this treatment at least.

Last edited:

It's... pretty bizarre. The song is a musical background for a big Bono speech about his father, similar to The Ocean. And Edge is "playing" Bob Hewson, singing the first verse. No ZooTV solo, but at least the guitar breakdown is there. Second verse is also omitted, at least in this soundcheck version.

The fact that it features another long speech in a show full of them is just silly. They seriously need to de-Broadway their mindset. They're potentially turning a gigantic live song into a snoozer - it's difficult enough to sell a hidden gem to a big audience, but to dilute it with long-ass speeches? Thank goodness Acrobat didn't get this treatment at least.
What the fuck

It really is utterly ridiculous. :lol:

I blame Spider-Man! Or Larry. His acting career is ruining U2! ;)

Well... at least they're not playing Sometimes You Can't Make It. Final judgement shall be reserved when (if) it actually gets played.

Last edited:

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting them to give it the speech treatment. :|

How many speeches are there right now in the show?

Zoo Station has one (this one will replace that probably), Stay, Even Better (before and during the song), MacPhisto before Acrobat, "confessional" before The Best Thing, during Summer of Love, before New Year's Day, before One...

This is just madness. There are probably three to four songs in there for all the talking.

Last edited:
They're transitioning to full Henry Rollins....next tour will be no music and just all Bono speeches with Larry looking pissed off in the corner for 2 hours.

dirty day is the kind of song that is so easy to play (all four parts) that anyone who's been a professional musician for 40+ years should be able to run through it once to get the sound levels and then play it note-perfect. it's so easy that i knew how to play every part of it when i was 17 and barely even knew how to hold my guitar yet. maybe run through it once or twice more so that bono can actually remember the lyrics, but that's it. it's so shit-simple that it's probably one of their easiest album cuts to play and would be an easy, straightforward treat for the big fans.

but then they had to go and turn it into the kind of thing you might hear on open-mic night at the jazz club from some corny college slam-poetry band that thinks their lyrics are "just like, really deep man" and just bought electric instruments for the first time.

like, i literally cannot think of a good reason for them to even attempt that, or who thought that would be something fans would ever want to hear. that's fucking embarrassing. nobody except maybe sil could ever get into that at a rock concert. just play the goddam song.

christ, it's difficult to be a fan of this band the last couple years.

Last edited:
Very cool, laz. And yet another instance of "Wow, he sounds nothing like I would have expected, even though I couldn't tell you what I thought he'd sound like."

;)

I'll post on Facebook to share the love.

How many speeches are there right now in the show?

Zoo Station has one (this one will replace that probably), Stay, Even Better (before and during the song), MacPhisto before Acrobat, "confessional" before The Best Thing, during Summer of Love, before New Year's Day, before One...

This is just madness. There are probably three to four songs in there for all the talking.

I haven't listened to any recent recordings yet, so: Zoo Station has a speech?! Zoo fucken Station?!

There is a long speech before Zoo Station to be precise.

And I find it weird how Dirty Day gets chosen as a showcase for fathers, when the lyrics imply it is about a father walking away from his family ("I was the bad guy who walked out" etc.).

This band.

Fuck I just listened to that Dirty Day recording.

That is truly awful. I hope to god it is not played at a show. Does Bono seriously think we want to listen to this sort of longwinded ramble?

U2 have, for so long, been masters of turning good studio songs into extraordinary live experiences. This is the exact reverse. Can't believe they're doing it to a song that we know is a live beast too.

I didnt listen to the actual recording but I got to say that sounds like an awful idea

I'm not sure how I feel about that. Bizarre is a good word for it. One the one hand, it's really cool to hear the great parts of the song live for the first time in ages - the first verse, Edge's chorus guitar and the outro. For me Bono singing over the guitar chorus part and the bridge are as egregious as the weird, ham-fisted speech, he sounds awful on both. It is such a strange reinterpretation that I'm struggling to decide on how I feel about it. Obviously, the actual track itself with some sort of mini-acknowledgement at the start would be a lot better, and that transition into Zoo Station is about as smooth as patting an echidna.

I've never been the biggest fan of the studio version. The bridge is awful and Larry's drumming has always sounded really flat to my ear, but there's no denying that at its best it's a monster. This is.... not that. At all.

This fucking band.

I can't get it out of my mind, in the sense that I honestly think it's one of the worst things I've ever heard from this band. I cannot even begin to fathom how they think this is what people go to concerts to hear.

I can give you mine. It's such a ridiculous "gift".

I appreciate the offer, but I’ve made my peace with the fact that whatever that gift even was (something related to The Joshua Tree?) is never gonna arrive.

I appreciate the offer, but I’ve made my peace with the fact that whatever that gift even was (something related to The Joshua Tree?) is never gonna arrive.

That was last year. This year it’s a remix of Desire, When Love Comes to Town, and God Part II. I don’t know what they were thinking.

Hey Cockforce--

Also:

I love you all.

You wanted NSW, you got him. That concludes the 3rd person portion of this post.

I donated despite every bone in my body shrieking at me not to give you one red cent, and not for the reason you'll immediately think of:

But, despite over a decade of dealing with you and your just unbelievably stupid hats, I made a modest donation and I wish you nothing but success with the film. As I told you via PM, I'm happy to help and I enjoyed the Trailer - and I will most definitely watch the film when it opens. Best of luck!

FYI, this is the first U2 tour since the TUF tour that finds me not having attended a show. I was supposed to go to the tour opener, which has become something of a tradition for me, but work interfered with that at the last moment. Then I was going to go to both Forum shows in LA but, and this is not a pun, I had a severe bout of Vertigo a few days before the shows and my Doctor was pretty adamant I attend neither show, and so I listened. And, so, no Acrobat for me. Such is life.

In case any of you disgusting pieces of shit are wondering how I am beyond U2, life is good. Sometimes great. Despite the abomination that just happened as it pertains to who won the World Series.

Speaking of which, I attended Games 1 and 2 in Boston (as well as Game 3 in LA). I had not been to Fenway in ages and despite the cold weather, it was a really great environment. I tried to take in as much as I could/time would allow. I'm glad I was lucky enough to attend.

That being said, while I enjoyed all the buzz surrounding the Stadium, all of the eating and drinking and frivolity and whatnot that you see before a game, I did notice something that shook me up a bit. I would describe it but I think it best if I just show you a photo that I took. I hope this is not a common thing in Boston and just some anomalous occurrence:

That's all I have.

Wait, I just now read a bit about recent U2 setlists. Interesting.

Ok, now, that's all I have.

:hyper: :applaud:

It's always nice when you drop by, even when you aren't throwing shekels at poor souls like myself.

Also shocked that you're missing this tour, and while circumstances beyond your control seemed to intervene, it doesn't seem like you're too broken up about it. I don't think I would have predicted even just a few years ago that we'd both be in that same boat.

I think the baby is my favourite joke in all my 13-odd years of being on this forum. I always know it's coming but I still laugh, because it's so scarce. Good to hear from you, NSW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom