Shuttlecock XXII: Summer of Laz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But they’ve been playing Boring Day for the past 18 years.

The “other” Day is on tonight’s printed set. We shall see how it turns out...

God let's hope it's not that ultimate trainwreck of the soundcheck.

It will be, of course.

Hahahahaha. If it was going to be the same as that soundcheck, good.

1A25C1BA-D01F-4549-804A-5817CF567708.jpeg

They might just do Dirty Day for the remaining shows and skip it in Berlin since the speech is very much Dublin-based, and the whole Broadway thing will probably go as a wet fart in the audience.

I wouldn't be sure how to feel about that, since I am going to see them in Berlin. To see a bizarre version of one of my favourite U2 songs that I never thought I'd see live, or not see it at all?

This band.

Last edited:
I like the IEM soundcheck arrangement in concept...I get where it fits in the set and there are some good moments in it. But holy shit it takes forever to get to the point, while the song itself is rushed in spots. I felt totally blindsided by the outro.

Also, Bono really sounds awful on this and that is becoming increasingly common for him. Edge sounds fantastic and part of me wishes he had sung the whole thing.

That said, if they want to play Dirty Day over, say, American Soul, be my guest. I will never not get a rush hearing "these days, days, daaaaaaays run away like hoooorses over the hilllllll..."

Last edited:
And snippets of that 5-minute speech from the soundcheck were all over the show!

Dirty Day is pretty much a 7-minute speech with snippets of actual Dirty Day thrown in.

So if it does get played, my advice for Ax is to code it like this on U2gigs (if the lazy cunt would actually bother nowadays):

Dirty Day / Dirty Day (snippet)

Last edited:
Hey fucko I've actually covered the last two shows.

...and was so bored by halfway through the second one that I remembered why I prefer sleeping in.

Hey other fucko, if it wouldn't get me banned I'd make that title below my screen name to Vocal Cunt.

Run with it, B&C.

I approve of calling axver a lazy cunt, and hereby move to call for him to change his screen name from axver to alazycunt. this post should be read in a hybrid australian/new zealander/south african accent so as to add to the confusion

fixed

On one hand, very cool that they're pulling out another deep cut like this on the tour.

But holy shit, Bono, shut up already. Literally three and a half of those five and a half minutes are Bono talking. It's way, way, waaaaaay too much in a show that's already overloaded with speeches. If they do film a show for Berlin, he better cut the rambling way down. Also, put the ZooTV extended ending and solo back in.

God that’s even worse than the rehearsal version. I’d be so confused seeing that live. Waiting for Bono to shut up. And then finally it gets going and you’d be like right now we’re into the actual song. But then he goes back to it. The crescendo doesn’t get its due. Yuck.

Interesting that Edge didn't sing the first verse like in the soundcheck.

Anyway, this COULD have been fucking awesome if THEY JUST PLAYED THE DAMN SONG. Making it the accompaniment to a speech is so stupid that I was happy when they wussed out of playing it at Dublin 1 and wish they had dropped the entire stupid idea. I've had little against Scarlet or The Ocean being used as vehicles for speeches (though I did wish for the inclusion of a couple more lyrics in the latter). But this could be a defining moment of the show, like it was on the final leg of ZooTV, and instead it's just MORE. FUCKING. TALKING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom