Shuttlecock XV: Seppos and the 42: Cobbler's Epic Fail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chicago people: apart from the obvious stuff like the Art Institute and the lakeshore stuff, can you suggest 2-3 things I should do in town? I only have Saturday pre-show and Sunday, so not much time to explore. I've been there for a few days for work before, but didn't get to do much.

I would suggest a walk along the 606, which is a rough equivalent of NYC's High Line. It takes you through some historic parts of the city and some of the exits are in close proximity to bars, shopping, etc.

I would suggest a walk along the 606, which is a rough equivalent of NYC's High Line. It takes you through some historic parts of the city and some of the exits are in close proximity to bars, shopping, etc.

Is that a bus route? I lived in the Chicago area for 20+ years but have never heard of the 606.

Is that a bus route? I lived in the Chicago area for 20+ years but have never heard of the 606.

It only opened a few years ago. It runs along an old elevated train route. I think the 606 name comes from the zip codes it runs through.

Just walked home listening to Popmart Sarajevo. Fuck, it's almost unbelievable how good U2 were back then, how fucking cool they were. And then within a couple of years it was all over.

How do you even go from coming out and smashing Mofo like that, to Stuck in a goddamn Moment, I mean really.

It boggles the mind, Ax.

If they're saying they delayed SOE because of the current political climate and they decided to revisit Joshua Tree because it has renewed relevance in the Trump era, what could be more relevant than songs like Please, Last Night on Earth, Gone, or Staring at the Sun?

It wouldn't kill them to play one song and maybe it will turn a casual fan on to Pop.

Just walked home listening to Popmart Sarajevo. Fuck, it's almost unbelievable how good U2 were back then, how fucking cool they were. And then within a couple of years it was all over.

How do you even go from coming out and smashing Mofo like that, to Stuck in a goddamn Moment, I mean really.

I hear you. However, I would argue that the coolness the exuded on ZooTV and Popmart was the anomaly and not the norm of their career. Putting aside actual musical quality, in terms of coolness factor alone, does 1987 U2 have more in common with 1997 U2 or with 2000-Present U2? I argue the latter.

Their 90s 'coolness' was a sort of act that wasn't sustainable indefinitely, I'd guess. 00s U2 is closer to who they really are. Again, I'm not talking about the music at all, just the appearance, the attitude, the general vibe.

None of that, however, excuses them from not playing anything from Pop in 16 years(save for those two Discotheques in 2005).

BTW, check your PMs, I sent you something the other day.

The remixes on the super deluxe set are cool. The vocal track used on the flood remix of Streets is interesting. There's some crazy Bono power vocals going on towards the end.

Is the live show on the deluxe version better than the Paris JT show that I have on my iTunes for some reason? Because that Paris show is damn near unlistenable because Bono's so in love with his own dramatic singing.

Sound wise it's great but there's moments where Bono is over singing, not in a good way. In Gods Country is a good example.

Chicago people: apart from the obvious stuff like the Art Institute and the lakeshore stuff, can you suggest 2-3 things I should do in town? I only have Saturday pre-show and Sunday, so not much time to explore. I've been there for a few days for work before, but didn't get to do much.
Get the pizza :wink:

It boggles the mind, Ax.

If they're saying they delayed SOE because of the current political climate and they decided to revisit Joshua Tree because it has renewed relevance in the Trump era, what could be more relevant than songs like Please, Last Night on Earth, Gone, or Staring at the Sun?

It wouldn't kill them to play one song and maybe it will turn a casual fan on to Pop.

No kidding. It baffles me that Please, in particular, isn't in the setlist.

I hear you. However, I would argue that the coolness the exuded on ZooTV and Popmart was the anomaly and not the norm of their career. Putting aside actual musical quality, in terms of coolness factor alone, does 1987 U2 have more in common with 1997 U2 or with 2000-Present U2? I argue the latter.

Their 90s 'coolness' was a sort of act that wasn't sustainable indefinitely, I'd guess. 00s U2 is closer to who they really are. Again, I'm not talking about the music at all, just the appearance, the attitude, the general vibe.

None of that, however, excuses them from not playing anything from Pop in 16 years(save for those two Discotheques in 2005).

BTW, check your PMs, I sent you something the other day.

The aesthetic and image, yeah, that was not sustainable indefinitely. But I feel there's also just a general attitude and outlook, a force to what they were doing that has a strong continuity across the eighties/nineties divide, which simply vanished. Whether I'm listening to a War Tour show or a Popmart one, I just find it hard to believe this is the same band that did Get on Your Boots or launched an album with a clumsy Apple tie-in.

I think one of the reasons I like the JT Tour concept so much - if not necessarily some of the setlist choices - is that it feels like this 30 year old album still has more to say than anything U2 have tried to express in a long time.

Hell yeah. Forgot there was a show tonight. Have a great time Mikal.

Just saw an @U2 thing where they asked Willie Williams about
ASOH and he said it will be back in the set. Yay!

Not clicking on the spoiler, but I hope it's what I think it is.

Ashley: will try the pizza, but I am more of a Neapolitan pizza guy.

I had forgotten how pretty this city is. And perfect weather this weekend.

Is the live show on the deluxe version better than the Paris JT show that I have on my iTunes for some reason? Because that Paris show is damn near unlistenable because Bono's so in love with his own dramatic singing.

You can listen to it on Spotify to hear for yourself.

Please don't waste your time/appetite on Chicago pizza. So many other good things you could eat instead.

I'm going to a Hamilton matinee on Sunday before sashaying over to Soldier Field.

I'm going to a Hamilton matinee on Sunday before sashaying over to Soldier Field.

Envious. Haven't been able to see it in NYC still. Have fun.

We are flying back tomorrow night, just one show here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom