Shuttlecock XIV: Bono the Vampire Slayer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi everyone. Just stopping by to confirm that I am super stoked to be going to this tour with NSW in Pasadena. As the kids say, it's gonna be lit.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I've been to one full album in order show - Springsteen playing Born In The USA. Some shows on the tour had got full album shows, but given me even going (I had to buy gold GA to get in ffs) was a last minute choice, it was a shock. I nearly went the second night and found out later he'd played Born To Run and was really angry with myself.

I can't understand why Red Hill Mining Town is perceived as this impossibly hard song to perform? It's really not a complex song? Why do people talk about "the key" and Bono not being able to sing the vocals? They've been playing Pride every night for over 30 years and it doesn't sound much like the album version, it's always been slower and has the same soaring vocals that RHMT does..? If they weren't so lazy it could have been a regular for ages.

I should probably try to get a Chicago ticket. I grumbled about I+E forever and then finally went and had a great time.

GIVE IN. Go to the light.

zelda.jpg

All are welcome

Mr. Brau would come back to complain about how white the results of the B&C Top Albums thread are.

I wonder if he ever complains to the mirror about how white his reflection is.

I'm surprised Zoots/LemonMirrorSky hasn't shown his face yet. Did the LMS account get banned for being a blatant alter?

Interview in the March issue of Q magazine with Adam and Edge about Songs of Experience.

There is a reference to "shifting sands" following the US election and the band moved away from a spring release to one later in the year.

There is no mention at all of the Joshua Tree tour, which lends support to the idea that this has come together very quickly.

Also, it's likely that if they were planning a spring release then these Joshua Tree tour dates were originally supposed to be for the I+E Tour. Generally, stadium dates are booked a year or more in advance.

Ok, here is what’s likely to be a long post with too much babble in it to really justify posting it, but I’m going to forge ahead. Out of respect for all, I shall spoiler it.

I do not know this site’s reaction to the Joshua Tree Tour news. I don’t know if there are shouts of “nostalgia band” or “sellouts” or if it’s been more positively received. Or maybe it’s both. I am sure I could guess some of the reactions from my Shuttlecock friends, but, I’d not bet on being correct. I hope most or all of you are excited. I can envision Laz bitching about something like them not acknowledging the 20th anniversary of Pop yet they’ll do this? Fucking bullshit blah blah I just bought 4 Rose Bowl tickets. Anyway…..

I will say that, for me, it’s been some of the most exciting news I’ve received that’s not to do with family or friends in a long time. This album is my favorite piece of art. Ever. And it has been since the album was released. It’s hard to put into thought, let alone words, what this album has meant to me over that stretch of time. This album came out when I was 16. You know what music means to a teenager, especially as their tastes are expanding and morphing. I was a U2 fan prior to the album’s release, but one listen to The Joshua Tree and I cannot pretend that I was anything but transformed into being obsessed. I did not and could not stop listening to it; on my Walkman, on my stupid radio at home with the double cassette player, at my friend’s houses, etc. I didn’t know, truly know, how potent music could be until then. And this is not revisionist history or hyperbole, this is real and my friends that knew me then and still do now could easily and probably comically attest to it. And then….the JT tour, my first ever concert. The first song they play is Streets. Just…so sublime.

(side note – the first movie I ever saw on my own was Rattle & Hum because I did not want to see it with a friend, then leave and have someone say even one bad word about it. But that was unnecessary because nobody ever has anything bad to say about U2, ever…wait…)

I’ve attended so many U2 shows I’ve legitimately lost count of just how many, so getting to hear various songs from that album each tour has been great, but with time it changes a bit. I got VERY sick of Bullet until this past tour when it actually sounded fresh to me again. I probably didn’t need to hear ISHFWILF for a very long time after hearing it so often. WOWY was often magical but eventually I felt like either Bono could or not would not sing it the way he used to and so even the shine came off of that a bit. Streets is Streets so the joy of hearing it has never waned for me. So while the album remained my favorite, I do not enjoy the individual songs at the same exact level. Which is natural.

Also, I’m not necessarily one for a ton of nostalgia. I tend to look at today and tomorrow more than next year or yesterday. I’m just wired that way. But when I’m with old friends and there are great stories to rehash, I’m usually in. With concerts, I typically don’t want to feel like an old man and so, again, the nostalgia is not necessarily coveted – but, for example, I cannot deny how I felt when I saw the Police in concert in 2007 and how when they played Synchronicity II the screen behind them was flashing imagery of the cover art of the Synchronicity album. That hit me like a ton of bricks, from a very nostalgic standpoint. That album meant something to me and the mental and emotional connection to it remained strong, albeit a tad dormant prior to. During the last U2 tour, I did a quick song by song review of one of the shows and posted it here. This is a portion of what I said about Streets:

“And speaking of nostalgia, the imagery on the screens towards the end is of the Joshua Tree and it just hit me like a hammer - The Joshua Tree is my favorite album and has been for a very long time now. It means a ton to me and I don’t know, I had a lot running through my head when I glanced at the screen as the song started to end. I’m getting old.” So even that little bit had a visceral impact on me that had nothing to do with intellect and was just pure emotion.

So, now. They’re going to play the album front to back? They’re going to play them in the order I’ve heard it, what, thousands of times? I’m besides myself with excitement. I am always jazzed up when the band releases a new album, and while I could never pretend their last few albums are anywhere near their best work, I still get enjoyment from them…..and love to hear how they sound in concert. But this means more to me than any tour supporting a new album could ever mean. It’s just the way it is.

So I am over the moon. Today I got my two tickets for Vancouver (see you there, Cori) and for the Rose Bowl (see you there, Heartlandgirl – and hopefully others) and now I know that after 30 years I’ll finally fucking hear One Tree Hill. This is great. I hope most of you are even half as happy as I am about this.

Absofucking100percentlutely.

:up: :up:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom