Shuttlecock XI: Yes Virginia, You Did Save Bono's Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A boy washed up on an empty beach. Fuck.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yeah, that too. That whole Bullets - Streets - Pride sequence was pretty dark, rightfully so.

I guess my post was confusing. I meant that the highlight of Zooropa was surrounded on both sides by the same old, same old.

I'm disappointed by the lack of change too, but at least they're self-aware enough to realize that wrapping themselves in American flags and re-enacting the crossing of the Delaware wouldn't fly in Europe.

If I heard The Hands That Built America at a European U2 show, I would throw something at Bono's head.

IMO, October-Bullet-Zooropa-Streets-Pride completely changes the entire concert. Now once again Streets is a centerpiece. But most of all, it doesn't feel so rushed, it feels like epic U2: Ballsy, Experimental, Political, and Uplifting.

Ehhhhh...it's infinitely better than the dumpster fire they had going on there last leg, but it does nothing to fix the laziest encore in U2 history. There's still work to be done.

Personally, I think picking a legitimate closer (or closing duo) would make a bigger difference. Currently, our final impression of the show is U2 walking away with the house lights on while drunk fans carry the weight for them. Not exactly Love Is Blindness.

Last edited:
Ordinary Love > Every Breaking Wave > October is a bad idea, but Ordinary Love is the primary culprit there. This is a much improved back end to the main set, no question.

Ordinary Love sucks goat testicles, but would still be a better closer than One IMO.

Elevation -> Ordinary Love could be my least favorite song duo in their entire live history. At least the former is good live.

But yeah, the rearranged sequence rocks.

I think Running To Stand or The Troubles would still work between Bullet and Zooropa.

Well good to see that they've made an improvement that actually works. Hopefully they don't rest on their laurels now.

One inspired transition and the whole end of the main set goes from being a clunky hits parade to something really effective, relevant, and coherent.

Shame they couldn't figure out how to give the encore the same treatment. COBL/Beautiful Day is fine if you ask me, but ending with Mother and Child Reunion/One? No. God that was a fucking strange transition too. There's no need for M&C Reunion any more and I don't get their insistence on keeping it in the set even after Streets has been moved. Are they going to whack it together with ISHFWILF on night two?

I maintain that one of the crucial things the encore is missing is a new song.

Actually, if they have attach it to something, it probably goes best with ISHFWILF in terms of tempo/vibe.

Of course, I think that song is a terrible closer so I wouldn't want that to happen anyway.

I find it bizarre that, after closing on a downbeat note more often than not for the past 23 years, U2 hasn't tried The Troubles as a closer yet. Love Is Blindness, One, Walk On, 40 and Moment of Surrender were pretty much all ballads and The Troubles fits in well with that lineage.

I'm guessing the duet aspect has something to with it.

Plus, the band doesn't really feel they've nailed it yet.

Don't forget Wake Up Dead Man closed some of the Popmart shows. Even more support for your idea.

I'm really smiling reading the gig report. It makes me very happy that with a small tinkering they've made a really powerful mini-set that flows better, gives Streets a segue befitting of it and is relevant to something that is happening in the world without it seeming hackneyed. Changing the line to "boy washed up", wow, that's powerful. The lyrics in Zooropa, too, really fit well.

Gives me hope that they will maybe play Running to Stand Still although obviously Zooropa will likely hold that spot all leg. You get rid of the fucking rubbish that is Ordinary Love and replace it with say Crystal Ballroom/Miss You and you've got close to the best set of the tour I'd say. Love that October is staying around as well.

But fuck me COBL-BS-One is easily their worst encore ever. Jesus fucking christ. I know we're kind of jibbed of a proper encore given the main set is split in two now, but you've gotta do better than that. Even though I'm not a huge fan of the song I'd love to see them move EBW to the encore and do it full band. That would at least give it some substance. And yes, give The Troubles a real go.

I'd like to see them do a regular upbeat closer for a change. The only regular upbeat closer they've had since the early days is bloody Vertigo x2 in Europe during 2005! The few times OOC has closed shows it has been a really good time. If they move OOC to the end of the set it would make that second slot rotation a bit less congested, or allow for one other old song to slot in.

I'd like to see them do a regular upbeat closer for a change. The only regular upbeat closer they've had since the early days is bloody Vertigo x2 in Europe during 2005! The few times OOC has closed shows it has been a really good time. If they move OOC to the end of the set it would make that second slot rotation a bit less congested, or allow for one other old song to slot in.

California would be a great closer IMO. Seems a bit unconvential, but it's fun and upbeat, but also strong lyrically. Ending the show on the note of "there is no end to love" would be fitting.

I'm guessing the duet aspect has something to with it.

Plus, the band doesn't really feel they've nailed it yet.

Don't forget Wake Up Dead Man closed some of the Popmart shows. Even more support for your idea.

Solve all problems by bringing Warpaint along on the next American leg and having a female vocalist duet Troubles live. That song needs the drama of a back-and-forth vocal.

I find it bizarre that, after closing on a downbeat note more often than not for the past 23 years, U2 hasn't tried The Troubles as a closer yet. Love Is Blindness, One, Walk On, 40 and Moment of Surrender were pretty much all ballads and The Troubles fits in well with that lineage.

The Ocean too, which was their first closer.

Solve all problems by bringing Warpaint along on the next American leg and having a female vocalist duet Troubles live. That song needs the drama of a back-and-forth vocal.

It seems so obvious, and it's painful to know this may have been in the works.

But I have a feeling they're never going back to an opening act now.

Which is one of the lamest developments in recent years with this band, for sure.

It does. As much as I loved it when I saw them, the song loses something live while Bono's essentially just standing there waiting for the video to sing its part.

It seems so obvious, and it's painful to know this may have been in the works.

But I have a feeling they're never going back to an opening act now.

Which is one of the lamest developments in recent years with this band, for sure.

But look at that atu2 poll where a majority of people voted that having no opener was better than any alternative! :happy:

I can't blame U2 for ceasing to play festivals. They, or at least their management, realise a large chunk of their fanbase have absolutely no interest in being exposed to any other musical experience.

Back
Top Bottom