Shuttlecock XI: Yes Virginia, You Did Save Bono's Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't like it way back when i first got into the Joshua tree, but I've definitely come round to it. Real good song even if it is the least best on that album.

I think Mothers of the Disappeared is maybe worse. But it's down there. But I totally agree, it kicks arse. I love it, it's a ton of fun, and kind of essential on what is probably the most serious album of all time.

Mothers of the Disappeared is a song you really wouldn't listen to outside the context of the album. My impulse is to say I love Eno's fingerprints all over it, but it actually reminds me of Peter Gabriel's Lanois-produced So. There's a nice melody with some beautiful sining by Boner.

The subject matter also carries a lot of weight. It's not one of their better closers, but look at the competition.

Yeah. Not a bad song at all and the lyrics give it a lot more weight too, just think it's a little boring, I never listen to it outside of the album and even then it's a pretty ho-hum way to end the album.

EDIT: just saw Axver's explanation. Disliking something based on genre alone is lame, but whatever, I'm not surprised.

In general I find country, especially the prevalent vocal style, to be grating and that definitely is the case with Bono's vocals in Trip. It's especially frustrating to know the song made it in lieu of Heartland.

No idea why so many on this forum talk down MOTD. I'd suggest it's one of JT's better tracks and a stunning, haunting closer. The lyrics get me every time and it functions so well with One Tree Hill and Exit. That trio is easily the best part of the album and the perfect counterpoint to anybody who suggests JT is frontloaded.

The guitar (I guess?) in Mothers of The Disappeared sounds like barbed wire. It's maybe not a great song song, but it's one of the more atmospheric and distinctive things they recorded in that or any era. I think it's perfect in its place.

You know U2 were on top of their game 1987-93 when the worst songs on each album still really seriously kick ass. Up until War or so I'd say their worst songs were yeah, actually kind of bad (I realised during that recent run-through by various Australian regulars here that I'm ok, I'm done, I have no need to ever listen to the War album in full ever again in my life).

Last edited:
Mothers is a top 20 U2 song for me. Beautiful atmospherics and Bono's vocals are perfectly fitting for the song. Strong and poignant imagery lyrically as well. It reminds me of OTH and RTSS in the sense that it's restrained, yet very dark and powerful. OTH really explodes towards the end (especially live), but they're all sort of similar for me.
And "Trip" is loads of fun. Would be a cool song to bring back every once in a while. I actually prefer it to "In God's Country", which is certainly not a bad song, but is my personal least favorite off of JT. I'd be psyched if they touched anything on the 2nd half of JT live. I also wish that they would've done "Wave of Sorrow" at some point. An incredibly underrated song and the lyrics, along with Bono's vocals, are phenomenal and powerful.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Let's not praise Wave of Sorrow, or really anything else from a re-release where U2 thought it would be better to wreck the recording with current vocals or other recent meddling rather than releasing it as it was, and thus making it sound like some NLOTH-era (or whatever) addition to an unrelated album.

I think Mothers of the Disappeared is maybe worse. But it's down there. But I totally agree, it kicks arse. I love it, it's a ton of fun, and kind of essential on what is probably the most serious album of all time.

God damnit bro Mothers Of The Disappeared is amazing, and Trip Through Your Wires is a lame Americana tune.

Back
Top Bottom