Shuttlecock III: Raped by Wolves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So imagine paying $375 plus Ticketmaster fees and finding out you get 90 minutes of acoustic $huttlecock followed by a 2 acoustic song encore.

I'm going to see them on Saturday and have reasonable seats, but it was still around $250 per ticket.

I'm willing to bet that U2's ticket prices will be around $500 if they are still doing to smaller venues when they come to Australia, but it's hard to see them, that if they do tour here, that they wouldn't play stadiums.

My roommate is a salesman and drives all the time and he says Every Breaking Wave is getting a ton of airplay in Philly. He said The Miracle had a decent amount of play last month but they've been hammering away at Every Breaking Wave the last few weeks, both versions.

There is a little Starbucks in the library at the college I'm working at, and they play music sometimes. Yesterday, I heard Song For Someone and Every Breaking Wave within 20-30 minutes of each other. I have no idea if the source was a radio station(or which station if it was) or someone's phone/ipod or whatever, but I thought it was interesting. It was the first time I'd heard anything from SOI where I hadn't initiated it, and I really wasn't expecting it at all.

GA for the Stones in Oz is $588. *cue wage argument*

No band is worth that.

For years my maximum has been $100. Maybe I should acknowledge inflation and bump that to $110 or $120, but I can't think of any band where I'd shell out even $200 per ticket, let alone $588.

I paid $150 to see The Cure's Reflections show, from a very good seat in the Sydney Opera House. They played 44 songs, including a bunch they hadn't played since 1987/1984/1982/1980/ever. That works out to like $3.40 a song. I'd HAPPILY pay $3.40 a song.

U2 have been very good about the charge for GA. I anxiously await finding out if that stays the same.

No band is worth that.

For years my maximum has been $100. Maybe I should acknowledge inflation and bump that to $110 or $120, but I can't think of any band where I'd shell out even $200 per ticket, let alone $588.

agreed.

there was a time, probably about 5-6 years ago, where $100 made me angry. the who quadrophenia tour were like 130 bucks a pop. that was a special circumstance though, not just normal touring band's in support of the new album tour.

Pay $375 for a concert ticket then spend the entire time watching through your iPhone. Welcome to going to concerts for the past 5 years.

I paid $150 to see The Cure's Reflections show, from a very good seat in the Sydney Opera House. They played 44 songs, including a bunch they hadn't played since 1987/1984/1982/1980/ever. That works out to like $3.40 a song. I'd HAPPILY pay $3.40 a song.

So we should get 110 song sets from U2. I'd be OK paying $375 for that.

I'm very hesitant to pay more than 60 dollars per ticket, but I usually see smaller acts and that works fine.

So the sort of autobiographical film Phil Joanou made in 1999 about himself (Stephen Dorff in the role of Phil) and his experiences in the movie industry as well as his relationship with U2 (who are in the film) is now streaming on Netflix (Entropy).

I watched the first 20 minutes of it last night at 3am. During the beginning where the character of Jake (Stephen Dorff) meets with the movie exec and then we cut to a scene where Jake is talking to Bono for advice as they're walking around on the Pop Mart stage and the camera then switches to a faraway shot of the stage and pans upward and the credits actually begin and "A Phil Joanou Film" pop up over the shot of the stage I had a weird sense of Rattle and Hum deja vu.

So, will any of these people hyping up SOI really care about it in a few years? There's just too much middle-of-the-road crud on that record that I think a lot of them are going to eventually wake up and realize is rather bland.

I mean, we've all overrated a shuttlecock album at one point. Atomic Bomb was flawless to these ears (aside from "Crumbs") during the first month of listening.

Oh god I think I put HTDAAB in my top three or four when it first dropped. Now it can't escape my bottom three. I didn't quite over-hype NLOTH to the same extent when it came out, but it still has managed to plummet from an initial assessment of it as a mid-range album to my bottom three as well.

As for SOI, I'm not sure when I last played it. It's a decent enough album, and I imagine long-term I probably will keep it out of the bottom three, but I can't buy into the hype right now. I'd rather a cautious and mild reaction and be open to the chance of it sticking around and creeping slightly up the rankings rather than nosediving like the last two.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom