Should i buy an iPod?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
information on the new ipod shuffle
The Mac-expo was today so lots of new goodies will be arriving shortly (including the super cool mac-mini - just check out the store)
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...JofthIcnCQMJf/0.0.11.1.0.6.21.1.0.1.0.0.0.1.0
Steve Jobs apparently was introduced with "Vertigo" for the keynote speech

in terms of the ipod - I listen to mine every day - I've had an ipod for about a year and a half now and consider it a great investment

Then get a regular 20GB. Seriously, if you buy a mini you may as well be throwing dollar bills at Steve Jobs. For only $50 more you get 16GB more of space. That is a difference of $62.25/GB of space with the mini versus $14.95/GB of space with the regular iPod. If you had the option to buy two items, almost exactly identical, would you honestly volunteer to pay an extra $47.30 for less product just because it is slightly smaller and has different colors?

Well i got my very first Ipod last month...the U2 one...and OMG! i loovve,and adore thing..like someone said not a day has gone by that i haven't used it.
It holds so much and i don't have to worry about changing a battery every few days, and i can put my whole entire CD collection in there if want or live stuff...or whatever its great and i can take it everywhere instead of carrying a bunch of CD's everywhere..
Mind you i did have a 128mb MP3 player before this which i loved too but i found for my muiscal needs it was just too small i couldn't have has much on it thus i was restricted in taking some songs out to put others in...but the IPOD i can stuff tons of songs in it without having to sacrafice others..its great!
All that to say ...that if you a huge music person with a some money to spare...get the IPOD you won't regret it... if not and you have a smaller music collection and a smaller budget get the mp3 player you won't regret that either...

personally my ipod is without question one if the best thigns i've ever bought. yeah alright the batteries a bit rubbish but everythign else totally makes up for that.
i can listen to aboslutely anything i want when i want, it still amazes me that i have my entire music collection in my pocket.

that said, dont bother with a mini (waste of time and money), in fact you dont have to go for ipod at all if you don't want to - i'm not too clued up on other brands myself but i'm sure thre are cheaper maybe better options out there.

in terms of your trip - i cant really tell you if you can afford it or not? you should really sit down and work out if it's a relistic amount of money to spend and more importantly what you might have to sacrifice on your trip if you dont have that extra $250.

however, if you do decide get an iopd or mp3 player i can pretty much guarantee you will never ever regret it! mine was worth every penny!

if i could afford it, i'd buy a BMW just so i could get the iPod dock installed... i can see why U2 got so involved with iPod & iTunes... it really is a revolution in music. your entire music collection in your pocket... able to be listened to by yourself with the headphones, at home or at work through your computer or a docking device, in your car... anywhere. any song, any time, any place. i used to lug around huge CD cases in my car, so that if i ever felt the urge to listen to something at a particular time, i could. now, all i bring is the iPod, hook it up through my car stereo's aux input, and it sounds fantastic.

so... like i said... I love my iPod, and my iPod loves me.

:| And i thought it was fun to talk with people when i travel,...i can`t do that with a ipod on.

you'll love it forever i promise!
my only thing is to just make sure you 're not using money you need for other stuff to get it thats all

Look at it this way, would you make the iPod a priority if you were not going to Europe?

If it is still at the top of the "things you need" list, get it.

nbcrusader said:
I'd save the iPod money and keep it as extra spending money in Europe. Or, save it for something nice in the future.

I would too.

Don't get me wrong, I have an iPod, I had it long before most people here got on the bandwagon with the U2 one, and I adore the thing. It's gone with me to school, work, on vacation, etc. Very convenient, sleek design, beautiful and easy to sync - I don't havea single complaint aside from the unreasonably shitty battery life. It is a great investment, but I bought it because I had gotten a chunk of money as a gift and had nothing better to spend it on.

You will always remember your trip to Europe, but in 20 years you won't remember whether you brought an iPod along, trust me. Hell for $300, you can see an extra country for a day or two, or spend it on an activity you otherwise wouldn't have.

I've travelled with it, and honestly, I didn't use it that much. Usually a trip to Europe will entail an overnight flight there, and you can always occupy yourself with other things. And I found that on bus or car rides, it's more fun to talk to people with you or to just enjoy the scenery than listen to the same album you've heard a hundred times. For example, I went on a great trip in Jamaica with a local guide and a few other friends/acquaintances and we spent all our time listening and talking to him and to the local reggae band he was playing on the radio. IMO, a much more valuable experience.

nbcrusader said:
Look at it this way, would you make the iPod a priority if you were not going to Europe?

If it is still at the top of the "things you need" list, get it.

I think I'll start collecting every penny, nickel, dime, quater, etc. I can find and put them into savings. In a month or so depending on how much I have I'll see whether or not I want to buy one.

Definitely get an iPod if you can afford it, but not necessarily for the trip. As others have said, soak up the scenery and culture, and you can do that better without American and British (and Irish) music tainting your ears.

nbcrusader said:

This is an excellent point. Leaving your music behind may enhance you experience. You will likely hear and see more things and get a better flavor for Europe by leaving a slice of the US behind.

Last time I was in Europe Fall 2000 after I completed my Peace Corps Service. I had a tape player and one u2 tape. hehe

I had a great backpacking experience while listening to my one u2 tape.

U2democrat said:
I would get the ipod shuffle but it only holds 240 songs. i think my u2 collection alone exceeds that. i may as well go for the mini. if i get one.

:lol: lara. though many here seem to be happy with their ipods, so do my friends. :shrug:

The $99 new Shuffles are cheap, but as you stated, they only hold 240 songs. That's not enough for me at all. A CD can hold that many (depending on the size of the mp3, of course).

I'm not a fan of the mini-iPods because while a bit smaller, they are nearly the same price as the 20GB iPod. For a mere $50 you go to 5000 songs. To me, that's more than worth the extra bucks. I have over 1000 songs on my iPod already! So it fills up fairly quickly. If the mini's were at least $100 cheaper, they might be a good option, but not at their current price.

Also, it should be pointed out that the 20 GB iPod isn't some gargantuan thing. It's just a bit thicker. It's still ridiculously small. So no matter what you decide, be sure you check for your iPod a lot as it'll be easy to steal and/or lose.

anitram said:

I would too.

Don't get me wrong, I have an iPod, I had it long before most people here got on the bandwagon with the U2 one, and I adore the thing. It's gone with me to school, work, on vacation, etc. Very convenient, sleek design, beautiful and easy to sync - I don't havea single complaint aside from the unreasonably shitty battery life. It is a great investment, but I bought it because I had gotten a chunk of money as a gift and had nothing better to spend it on.

You will always remember your trip to Europe, but in 20 years you won't remember whether you brought an iPod along, trust me. Hell for $300, you can see an extra country for a day or two, or spend it on an activity you otherwise wouldn't have.

I've travelled with it, and honestly, I didn't use it that much. Usually a trip to Europe will entail an overnight flight there, and you can always occupy yourself with other things. And I found that on bus or car rides, it's more fun to talk to people with you or to just enjoy the scenery than listen to the same album you've heard a hundred times. For example, I went on a great trip in Jamaica with a local guide and a few other friends/acquaintances and we spent all our time listening and talking to him and to the local reggae band he was playing on the radio. IMO, a much more valuable experience.

This is great advice.

If you were making some cross-country trip, I think the iPod would be great to have in your car. If you were doing a ton of flying, again, the iPod is great.

But if $$ is really tight, you have ways to occupy your time without music, then use the extra funds on your trip.

I have an iPod because it worked well in my life. But it was a big expense and not something I could readily afford again.

So if you have surplus in your budget and wish to treat yourself to an iPod - go for it. But if in a month, $$ is still tight, then save it for Europe. Buy a far less cheaper CD/mp3 player and burn a few CD's of your favorite mp3's.

I LOVE MY iPod!!!! It totally rocks. All my music and still room for more! I say get the iPod. It is totally worth the money!!! i listen to it all the time and i mean ALL the time!

doctorwho said:
So if you have surplus in your budget and wish to treat yourself to an iPod - go for it. But if in a month, $$ is still tight, then save it for Europe. Buy a far less cheaper CD/mp3 player and burn a few CD's of your favorite mp3's.

I think this is the best advice that I'm going to follow. :up:

U2democrat said:
This summer I'm going to Europe and have been putting aside every cent for that, not wanting to splurge on anything. However, an iPod would be very convenient to have instead of a bulky CD case and CD player for the trip. I have a little over $1,000 in my savings but am hesitant to spend it. If I were to buy one I'd buy a mini. But do I want to give up $250 for it? Is it worth it? What would y'all do in my situation?

What you don't have, you don't need it now :wink:

Back
Top Bottom