September 21, 2009 - Gilette Stadium Foxboro - Massachusetts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just some random thoughts about last night and the tour overall.. Dropping Breathe for Magnificent was not an upgrade for me. Magnificent deserves the buildup and I don't think the crowd was ready for it yet. Hearing Stay live just makes me so happy :love: Bono's voice has sounded fantastic this tour.

I really would have been disappointed about Breathe had I not been to Sunday's show, so I completely understand your perspective. It's funny because the friend I was with last night didn't even notice the difference until I specifically pointed it out to her. Gotta love casual fans :D

Visually the show is eye candy, and I have loved taking in the glorious claw. Everything from the screen to the lights that shoot up to the stars is amazing.
No amount of photos will do it justice. It was amazing look up in the higher sections and seeing the amount of flashes going off once the claw started doing its thing.

I'm slightly disappointed about the lack of setlist surprises from night to night. I'd like to see the final encore shaken up a bit, but thankfully they didn't last night when I left a bit early to beat the traffic :reject:
I'm always in two minds about that. If I'm attending all shows in a city I'm selfishly all for it. If I'm not, I'm more hesitant of that wish for fear they will play something I love at the show that I missed. I noticed people started to leave after One. How long did it take you to get home?

I'll post my full review later, but please don't bash Melissa. She is one of the nicest people I have ever met and we all should be happy for her.

He wasn't. His irritation was with Bono, not the girl.

Again, pulling up girls isn't a regular of this tour. I got tired of it during the Vertigo tour as well, especially since I felt Bono is becoming to old and the girls were often very young. It just looked kind of ackward. So I'm very glad to see that he's not doing this on a regular basis anymore, just from time to time and more spontaneous.

I'm always in two minds about that. If I'm attending all shows in a city I'm selfishly all for it. If I'm not, I'm more hesitant of that wish for fear they will play something I love at the show that I missed. I noticed people started to leave after One. How long did it take you to get home?

After Streets we hesitated for a minute, and then I saw the chance to sneak out of our row. I wasn't thrilled with leaving but I have been sick since Friday. I must have caught some disease hanging off the rail last Thursday :lol: Heard most of the songs walking and made it to the car as MOS was beginning. There were lots leaving at that point, but traffic moved smoothly. Made it to Reading in under an hour, not bad at all.

hello, all, here is my little review....

the show was amazing! the stage is INCREDIBLE. I knew it would be impressive, but it still surpassed my expectations. very cool experience, almost a sensory overload. I thought the band sounded good, the sound in general was pretty good for a stadium (though there was some reverb when Bono was just chatting with the audience.) I had thought the Irishness would be a bit more in force in Boston, that's why I wanted to see them there. I'm not Irish myself, but I was hoping to see a bit more flag waving. this was my 3rd ever U2 show, 1st on this tour (I'm going tomorrow in NY, too.) overall I would rank it my second best experience, not quite as good as my GA experience on Vertigo, but really really great overall.

my seats were surprisingly good, I was in the lower section but high in the rows, on Adam's side but towards the back. however my section was a little empty and we ended up moving over, cause one of the columns was blocking our view of Larry. does anyone know if last night was a "sell out"?

my highlights...

- I was really excited to get Mysterious Ways and Until the End of the World, as I'm a big fan of Achtung Baby
- Vertigo was awesome and the crowd really got into it for being a relatively new song
- Elevation also continues to impress me. I don't care for it much on the album but I enjoyed it live yet again.
- the dance remix of Crazy Tonight was a lot of fun, I thought it would be queer. especially enjoyed Larry prancing around with the bongo.
- the Unknown Caller singalong is fun
- Sunday Bloody Sunday was the highlight of the night. the band roared through it, the audience was going crazy. very cool.

not as great things...
- songs that didn't really work for the crowd were Your Blue Room (no one but the most hardcore know it, I didn't even sing along), City of Blinding Lights (great song, but the crowd doesn't know it very well, I thought the energy died a bit during it), and Walk On (some people in my section sat down during this, which they hadn't done all show long)
- I don't like the encore (or second encore?) it's too boring. I loved Ultraviolet and I didn't hate Moment of Surrender ending the show, but they should move WOWY to the regular setlist and put in something more upbeat in it's place. it really killed the excitement, a lot of the crowd started leaving at the beginning of Moment of Surrender
- the light up microphone that Bono was using during that encore was cool at first, but got weird and distracting. he should ditch it halfway through Ultraviolet. his jacket was cool though.
- would have liked to hear Breathe, though I guess it hasn't been playing so well live
- was hoping for New Year's Day, maybe tomorrow?
- I know there have been a lot of people on this forum begging for the band to get ride of Pride. you know what? it's a mistake. it would have gone over so well last night, it's a song the audience knows and loves. bring it back!

so that's my little review. really loved the show, can't wait to do it again tomorrow!!!!!

Unless they sold a bunch of tickets last minute I highly doubt it was sold out-I heard and saw constant ads for months. I don't think night one was really sold out either.

As for the Irish flags etc.- in years past there used to be more of that at U2 shows but it's just not as prevalent now, not even around here. Hey they were selling nine dollar cans of Guinness!

Glad you visited here :)

Sorry about the stadium-maybe one day you can make it to the Garden (actually in Boston) if they ever do arenas again. It's much better.

This was my third and final show of 2009 and I also had seats behind the stage. I too felt left out of the fun the front crowd was having. Even when the boys came to the back and paid us some attention, it just wasn't enough for me. To give the back section credit, from my view everyone was standing/dancing so it wasn't a complete fail.

I was curious to hear what other people thought about sitting behind the stage so thanks for sharing. There were alot of people in the front of my section that were standing and dancing; it was the girl to the side of me that was packing me in and she stood stiff as a board with a grimace on her face. Ugh. I was on Adams side of the stage in 122 high up so maybe it would have been different if I was further down below and more in the middle? I dont know, maybe after seeing them from the front the night before and feeding off the energy, behind just didnt compare.

One thing Id like to add is that The Claw really does look amazing from the front. You really get to appreciate the lighting and the spectacle than when you are right up on it.

If you have a regular digital camera, pics come out much better from further away it seems. I got better shots of the band with my lame 3x optical zoom than I did when I was actually closer behind the stage and when I was on the side of the stage for a few songs the night before. Weird, right?

Just for the record, nobody here is "bashing" Melissa or anybody.

And I'm not "annoyed" with Bono...I was just questioning whether pulling ladies on stage regularly enhances the show for the audience in general (no question it does for the person pulled up!).

By the way, I agree the two of them did a nice bit of theater to "Until the End of the World" with the bridges...Bono loves that "reaching out with the hand but just far enough away that he can't quite connect" bit. Love to ask him about that...

Anyway I'm glad to hear it's become more the exception rather than the rule. Doing it once in a while gives it more significance...every night makes it predictable and routine.

In any case, bottom line is the show was superb. The pit was a bit more "packed" than my experience at an Elevation indoor show. Also, all in all I've always found U2 fans to be really well-behaved and cool at shows, but I was disappointed at how many selfish idiots were being pushy and trying to weasel ahead in the GA line. What's with these dorks, anyway? The "it's all about me" attitude is so counter to what U2 is all about. Don't these people get it, or are they just there to party and brag about how close they got to the stage?

Also, all in all I've always found U2 fans to be really well-behaved and cool at shows, but I was disappointed at how many selfish idiots were being pushy and trying to weasel ahead in the GA line. What's with these dorks, anyway? The "it's all about me" attitude is so counter to what U2 is all about. Don't these people get it, or are they just there to party and brag about how close they got to the stage?

Btw I didn't see you or anyone "bashing" anyone here. But sometimes you can't even bring up that subject here without being accused of that. I think it's tired too, and it has zero to do with "jealousy" or anything else that's always brought up here. I have no jealousy whatsoever about it because I wouldn't want to do it, and I know I'd never be picked anyway. And I don't need or want attention from Bono.

Anyway..that's a lovely idea and all that, about what U2 is all about-but people are just people and the GA has definitely created and/or brought out ugly qualities in some people. Sometimes, for some people, it has become a competition about getting close and getting attention and whatever they have to do to get that-cheat, be rude and even physical, whatever. It is all about me for some people, and being a U2 fan doesn't change that one bit. I overheard someone in line saying that she would "take down" anyone who tried to get a front spot before she got it. So if that gives you any idea. I've seen and heard about numerous things like this since they started GA-it's nothing new but it is escalating. That's why I stayed by the soundboard and in the back this time around, and I had a great time. I just can't deal with that bs. I also saw several people cutting the line after I had been waiting there for a few hours. Not cool.

Haven't signed on since '01. Probably b/c I haven't been this fired up about the band since then. Haven't missed a tour since '84 and that was easily the best show I've seen since Boston June 9, 2001.

It's been so long since I posted, that I had to re-register b/c my user name expired! Now that I have, a few words about the show...

First off, I'm pretty jealous of you hardcore globe hopping travelin' fools that get to see all these shows.

Couldn't believe how great the new material sounded - Unknown Caller and Moment of Surrender are unbelievable live. Was happy I caught "Breathe" the night before... NLOTH is incredible - those 4 guys tear that one up.

Could really do w/o the remix of 'Crazy' - but the girls LOVE it so that's OK w/ me. Plus Edge was 6 feet away during that one... we changed "EDGE! EDGE! EDGE!" (think Vertigo intro chant from the last tour) and we got a big grin for that. Very cool moment.

Then Adam struts by. That man has grown into his role completely. He's just the coolest guy in the room without a doubt.

And the bridge "theater" w/ Melissa was unreal. Hope some video of that turns up - that girl is an absolute stunner. Loved Bono's quote.. "Sometimes this job has great perks... like being lifted up by a such a beautiful girl...a girl.. like that". haha. I wasn't in the least bit surprised. After seeing her in the GA line throughout the day... of course Bono brings her up. How could you not?

Thank you to the gruff-but-loveable GA line organizers.

It was surprising how easy people found their way into the circle even after arriving late. Kinda made me question my sanity for getting there at 8am, but my spot on the outside rail (just left of center) was worth it. I felt like I was indoors watching the show being under the spaceship. Clear view of everything.

Really really hoping for a 2010 leg in the Northeast.

I suppose that's all. Just wanted to check in w/ the community after an absolutely perfect U2 experience.

Except for the traffic. :drool:

And I'm not "annoyed" with Bono...I was just questioning whether pulling ladies on stage regularly enhances the show for the audience in general (no question it does for the person pulled up!).

I didn't write annoyed, I wrote irritated. ;)

And I meant it in a "ah, Bono, it really doesn't improve the show when done all the time" way (although this tour is isn't being done all that often, so it isn't so bad) rather than a "Oh christ Bono, why the fuck do you have to do that shit, you irritating little jerk?" kind of way.

So, yeah...what you said. :)

If it's the same Melissa from the Barcelona show, I believe she is.

Thanks, it must be the same girl. She was very nice. I dont know how she managed to hold him up, its not as if Bono is light on his feet. :D This girl that I had encoutered briefly was from Venezuela was very spirited and outgoing and I could see her being able to do that. She had a certain presence about her. I swear it was her... she did tell me her name, but I dont remember it if it was Melissa. Anyway, I thought it was cool! WOudl haev loved to have seen it from the front too.

Just got home from Foxboro2 and all I can say is
Foxboro 1 =awesome
Foxboro 2 = awesome x1,000
Inside rail in front of Bono, 2nd row both nights and it was unreal , even more so tonight.
will post more later.
Now begins my PTD (Post tour Depression) as thats it for me for now anyway.

:up: but have to differ with you on two points. I was front rail b/w Bono and Adam (closer to Bono) both nights 1st row--I must have seen you...and I don't have post tour depression yet as I still have the Tampa show ahead. Then PTD will set in :sad:

OMG, Monday's show blew Sun. out of the water. Bono was feeling better, more spontaneous, the mixed up set list worked really, really well, and much, much more interaction with the crowd which always makes the show better. Crowd was pumped even though it was considerably smaller than on Sun. night. My right calf is killing me and my left Achilles tendon is so sore. I think I hurt it running to the pit on day 2. Walking through the airport was a challenge :huh:. All the pain is well worth it, though. Anyone who hasn't seen a show yet is really in for a treat. Now I have to recover for Tampa :applaud:

I cannot get Crazy Tonight out of my head :hyper:

I've lately felt the same way about Bono pulling up girls to dance with them. Frankly, as he's gotten older - and the women have gotten younger - it's become a little creepy.

BUT, I felt his interaction with that woman during UTEOTW last night was brilliant. First off, it was funny (and self-deprecating) when Bono had her pick him up and carry him around. Then, his bit of using the bridges to create a gap that they could reach across during the solo and coda (while shouting to the crew to get the bridges to move) was amazing theater - and apparently spontaneous to boot. I wouldn't be surprised if that makes another appearance at a future show.
Hmmm seeing as how she will be doing NY shows and Tampa (she may be doing others too, not sure) we may see it again. I think she told us she had done it two times before, once in Barcelona Vertigo and another show. She's a very sweet girl and GORGEOUS and really did a super job last night. She said her legs were tired from Bos 1 and she thought she'd have trouble running around with him but actually found it quite easy. Maybe he could hop on her back next time :D

After Streets we hesitated for a minute, and then I saw the chance to sneak out of our row. I wasn't thrilled with leaving but I have been sick since Friday. I must have caught some disease hanging off the rail last Thursday :lol: Heard most of the songs walking and made it to the car as MOS was beginning. There were lots leaving at that point, but traffic moved smoothly. Made it to Reading in under an hour, not bad at all.

Ramblin Rose's hotel and mine was only 15 mins. away but we did not get back there until 2:15, same as Sun. night :huh: I will relish getting into my own bed tonight :D and will question EVER going to Gillette again to see a show!! Great, great shows though.

Foxboro(ugh)

Quite a weekend....where to start....

As with many others, I think Monday's show blew Sunday out of the water. I brought my sister(we had RZ2) and we got there around 4. Here's the part of RZ that made it so worth it: when they opened the gates, I was going to get a rail spot in the RZ, but when I got to the floor I couldn't pass up a spot 5 feet to the right of center on the outer rail. Let me tell you, it was pretty sweet to get in the stadium and see almost nothing but open rail :hyper:

Random rambling:

- After 4 shows(went to Chi also) Snow Patrol is growing on me. Their frontman is hard to not like.
- I'm very happy to see COBL in every show. Hearing that song always reminds me of the first moments of the Vertigo shows I went to....good stuff.
- From where I was last night, I think the outer rail is better than the inner back rail(yeah I'm biased). Whenever the boys are out on the ramp they were almost always facing outwards, which of course makes sense since that's where the most people are. COBL and IGCIIDGCT were right in front of us...hell yeah

Ramblin Rose: good to see you again! My sister wanted to try to beat traffic, so we left right before MOS.

Gripes:

Unknown Caller: everyone I know really likes this song, but I think it's weak. Inane lyrics are one thing if the song gets the crowd moving(Elevation), but this one doesn't.

Leaving Foxboro: we parked in the same lot both nights, and left about the same time. For some reason, the first night we were allowed to go south, and got to the highway in about 10 min.

Last night: for whatever reason, we were forced to go north. As we sat in the road while exiting, it was pretty pathetic to see the tough guy Mass Police on horseback berate people leaving the stadium who had the gall to cross the street where they shouldn't have(and meant no harm, as the cars they were walking between were going NOWHERE). Yes, it's fair to FIRMLY but POLITELY tell them to turn around, but there was no excuse for the 'idiot' and other garbage I was hearing from them. I truly hope the couple of jackasses I heard weren't representative of them as a group.

As for exiting the stadium and getting out of there, how and why in hell did that F*CKING ATROCITY ever get created?!?! The city of Foxboro, and whomever planned, or didn't plan, that disaster should be buried alive. It took us 2.25 hours to go 3.5 miles, and it boggles the mind that they haven't done anything to address the issue, since that stadium is how many years old? I cannot fathom that Patriots season ticket holders would shell out $$$$ and then have to deal with that 10+ times/year?! If the existing infrastructure/roads can't handle it, build the stadium ELSEWHERE.

Leaving Foxboro: we parked in the same lot both nights, and left about the same time. For some reason, the first night we were allowed to go south, and got to the highway in about 10 min.

Last night: for whatever reason, we were forced to go north. As we sat in the road while exiting, it was pretty pathetic to see the tough guy Mass Police on horseback berate people leaving the stadium who had the gall to cross the street where they shouldn't have(and meant no harm, as the cars they were walking between were going NOWHERE). Yes, it's fair to FIRMLY but POLITELY tell them to turn around, but there was no excuse for the 'idiot' and other garbage I was hearing from them. I truly hope the couple of jackasses I heard weren't representative of them as a group.

As for exiting the stadium and getting out of there, how and why in hell did that F*CKING ATROCITY ever get created?!?! The city of Foxboro, and whomever planned, or didn't plan, that disaster should be buried alive. It took us 2.25 hours to go 3.5 miles, and it boggles the mind that they haven't done anything to address the issue, since that stadium is how many years old? I cannot fathom that Patriots season ticket holders would shell out $$$$ and then have to deal with that 10+ times/year?! If the existing infrastructure/roads can't handle it, build the stadium ELSEWHERE.

:wave: It was great seeing you again also. Did you have problems leaving yesterday also? I'm not sure I will ever go back to Gillette after the experience of leaving both nights.

Doesnt Gillette have football games almost ever Sunday? Or is this their first year? How do you have ONE exit? Nightmare

Anyway I had the best day ever! Got to the stadium at 4:30am and slept in the car in the lot, I found a way in. At 7:30 got my number with my buddy, we were 81 & 82 but got to 65 & 66. Meet some great line buddies, Emma & Rolando (he was the guy Bono took the scarf from night 1, they were from Mexico City), good food (five guys) and had an asshole moment (I was the one drinking at 10am, hey in Philly thats a lil late).

Snow Patrol was great, another new band the boys have turned me into, and the U2 Crew was classic, those guys are really something else.

I was SO SO SO happy Magnificent opened, the day I heard the whole album I knew that was THE opener. When Mysterious Ways started some BITCH (sorry Im alittle harsh) decided she was going to grab my rail (outside the pit alittle close to Edge). I immediatly thought she was going to faint since she was kneeling on the ground and holding the rail and I was going to have to throw her over the rail, but she looks right at me and says I'm Fine, and I said ok get off my rail. I had to push this ass out of spot that I waited 12+ hours for. Thank God she left because I told the guard if she didnt move she was getting elbowed in the face.

I was a little mad at the crowd to, because every time I looked behind me no one was doing ANYTHING, me, I was jumping up for almost every song, this was my 1 show and let it loose. The set was near perfect, not a fan of Your Blue Room at all, if they put Bad in there, anywhere, that would have been it I could have died happy that night. I cant wait for July to get here and the Boys to return to the City, The City of Brotherly Love!

And to the very beautiful chick who got on stage :)drool:) She was hilarious & hot! Haha. Hope everyone else had fun!

Transferreed over from the wrong thread...
night2 = Bono on a liter of red bull

Oh what a night. I was behind Boston Michelle both nights (i was 2nd row, center twice) and it was really cool that he took her flag. He gave the first few rows lots of little shout outs- it was so special. We were all holding hands during One and he acknowledged it ("you must be irish holding hands and singing"). There is absolutely nothing like being that close to the band. Adam is a big flirt and Bono is so personal with the front few rows. We saw every little chuckle, mistake (like during Amazing GRace he made a mistake and was laughing at himself), smile, head nod, etc. We were holding up signs with song requests and he at one point looked at us and then his set list on the floor and pointed and said "we're playing these" with a smile. All these special moments-too many to remember.
At the end we all collectively held up signs for drowning man and as the band was bowing to the crowd Bono whispered into Adam (or Larry's) ear(i forget) "look they're asking us to play Drowning Man" and they both looked at all of us and we really thought they were going to go on and play it but alas they did not. However, the seed is indeed planted for this song so maybe NY will get it.
The GA line went well, thanks to fans taking charge and security respecting it. there was a little bit of line drama but not too bad.
Unfortuantley, I was second in line out of my "pen" and the scanner guy couldn't scan the 1st girl or my tix and we were pleading with him to pick up the pace as everyone else flew past us. He finally asks another scanner "uh John how does this thing work?" UGH!!!!!!!!
Then I finally got through and starting running at a good clip and my keys fall out of my pocket but I was already far ahead of them due to sprinting so I had to go back and get them and then I just thought "if anything else falls out screw it, I'll get it after the show" kept running and saw a slew of dollar bills all over the floor-didn't care if they were mine (they weren't after all) but that was the scene.
Definitely drama at front rail spots with people saving spots for friends and not letting others in even thought they were there first. These were the same people claiming the fairness issues earlier in the day when it was working in their favor in the GA line. That did upset me as it affected me but I tried not to and realized-"crap I'm second row center stage this is a GREAT spot" The girl he pulled up on night2 was the same from Barcelona. I talked to her before the show and she said all she could think of in Barcelona while carrying Bono on stage was "if I drop him and he breaks a hip everyone will kill me!" She said that before the show and it was so neat to see her pulled up again and carry him around again. All i can say is lucky girl!
EVERYONE I met was super nice and I am sad I won't be seeing any more shows for a while. I actually cried my whole ride home (and it was looooong due to traffic and such). I was so sad that this was the end for a while and so happy at the 2 wonderful nights I just experienced. OK I'm getting choked up again.

Will post pics later and I have an AWESOME ultraviolet photo. If any one knows how to make a GIF (the litttle video thing on your posts) could you pm me because I have a good one but don't know how to load it.

Also, if anyone has a bootleg of either show could you please PM me. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom