Seattle 2 - 2 encores and VERTIGO X2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2girlcj

War Child
Omigod.

COBL
Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Elevation
Gloria
The Ocean
New Year's Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes (pulled up a young boy and walked him around, sang to him)
Love & Peace
Sunday Bloody Cunday
Bullet/Hands
Running to Stand Still
Bad
Pride
Streets
One

1st Encore
Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways (no girls pulled up, but ADAM and Bono bullfighted - at the end Bono said it was the first time they'd done it...and he liked it!)

2nd Encore
All Because of You
Original of the Species
VERTIGO

I might be a little off on the encores because that last Vertigo was so awesome, my brain probably hit my skull a bit... maybe Vertigo came before Original? I can't believe I can't remember. I was just too excited...

I know I've already done it on another thread, but I'd like to express my disgust with the repetition of Vertigo here too. I honestly don't care how good the performance was, the fact remains that there's no excuse for repeating a song when you're a band of U2's calibre with their depth of material. They couldn't do I Will Follow instead?!

And 40's the natural closer. I'm surprised they didn't come back to play that.

Eh, it was my first show, and I didn't give a shit. The crowd was into it, the band played the hell out of it, and I enjoyed it.

It's kind of silly that they did two "encores," yet didn't play anything they didn't normally play (in fact, people there missed out on "40"). These guys have turned song order rearrangement into an artform of its own.

The setlist is right. I think more than anytyhing, everyone was just really confused (at least those who know the set). The band was clearly ready to play '40' when Bono decided to do the Vertigo part II thing. Personally, I was emotionally exahausted and ready for 40.

Overall it was a great show, but it did create a weird vibe for me at the end.

Gloria and bad were amazing. It's interesting that three of the highlights of the two shows were songs only played once, the other being Electric Co.

Axver said:
I know I've already done it on another thread, but I'd like to express my disgust with the repetition of Vertigo here too. I honestly don't care how good the performance was, the fact remains that there's no excuse for repeating a song when you're a band of U2's calibre with their depth of material. They couldn't do I Will Follow instead?!

And 40's the natural closer. I'm surprised they didn't come back to play that.

:lol: :laugh: :lmao:

you're still cursing them about this. :lol:

was the second vertigo any different from the first?

if u ask me, that vertigo is going to be used somewhere, because if i remember correctly with the mtv jammed brooklyn show, they played vert twice and used the video from the first vertigo, but they audio from the second

its a possibility, maybe its for that good morning america special?

it also seems to be an interesting new twist on this set list changes, beautiful day was second..........

Last edited:
it was fucking amazing. a truly remarkable show. hard to even express.

quadcaster said:
was the second vertigo any different from the first?

if u ask me, that vertigo is going to be used somewhere, because if i remember correctly with the mtv jammed brooklyn show, they played vert twice and used the video from the first vertigo, but they audio from the second

its a possibility, maybe its for that good morning america special?

it also seems to be an interesting new twist on this set list changes, beautiful day was second..........

quadcaster, there was speculation tonight after the show that they will possibly use this for the GMA special, so you are not alone in thinking that might be the case. I think it sounds very feasible.

and yes, it was different--totally different lights and the content was different. no "stories for boys" snippet, for instance.

and i don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but Eddie Vedder coming out to do a song with Kings of Leon...awesome!!!!! He destroyed about 5 tambourines.

Last edited:
Usually when a band of U2's calibre repeat a song at the end of a show, it means that they are recording it for either a video or a TV show performance. That is most likely what is happening here.

Blaggghh...Blaaaaggggghhhhh!

Please don't play Vertigo twice and leave out 40 in Chicago....Please don't play Vertigo twice and leave out 40 in Chicago...Please don't play Vertigo twice and leave out 40 in Chicago...

Vpk0718 said:
Eh, it was my first show, and I didn't give a shit. The crowd was into it, the band played the hell out of it, and I enjoyed it.

and that was the main thing: That you were THERE and enjoyed it!!!

I was really looking forward to seeing "40" played live. I hope to god they don't play Vertigo twice in Glasgow. Vertigo isn't even that good a song. "40" is a classic and a great set-closer. The only things that rivals it as set-closer are Walk On and Love Is Blindness, though I would forgive them for replacing it with 11 O'Clock Tick Tock (which they used to play twice). Much better than playing The Electric Co. or The Ocean.

Good to see they are playing Original Of The Species. Much better track than Yahweh. Hope they keep playing Bad, but put it before Streets like on the Elevation tour.

If they are gonna throw up a few more suprises on the tour, I wouldn't mind Surrender, Mofo, Last Night On Earth or Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (as on the Stockholm '92 bootleg... that version was 100*better than the original).

Rob.

cs0rpc said:
I was really looking forward to seeing "40" played live. I hope to god they don't play Vertigo twice in Glasgow. Vertigo isn't even that good a song. "40" is a classic and a great set-closer. The only things that rivals it as set-closer are Walk On and Love Is Blindness, though I would forgive them for replacing it with 11 O'Clock Tick Tock (which they used to play twice). Much better than playing The Electric Co. or The Ocean.

Good to see they are playing Original Of The Species. Much better track than Yahweh. Hope they keep playing Bad, but put it before Streets like on the Elevation tour.

If they are gonna throw up a few more suprises on the tour, I wouldn't mind Surrender, Mofo, Last Night On Earth or Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (as on the Stockholm '92 bootleg... that version was 100*better than the original).

Rob.

Vertigo will have been played a second time because it will have been recorded for a tv performance. They will not play it twice in every set - in fact, you'll probably not see another song repeated in the same set list again on the entire tour. It will have been a one off.

I don't think you'll see The Electric Co or The Ocean dropped from the set - especially in Europe (and that is a good thing imo!) and I think the chances of hearing Mofo, Last Night On Earth or Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses on this tour are slim to none.

Surrender was a rumoured rehearsal song although I don't think that has ever been confirmed and I wouldn't expect to see it included.

Come European tour time, you'll probably see the same kind of set list that has been seen so far on the 1st leg of the tour with probably more frequent airings of Original Of The Species and Crumbs From Your Table, which according to Adam Clayton, could well make an appearance very soon.

Any other older songs being brought into the set is a lot harder to call. Apparently a lot of things were rehearsed but have yet to make an appearance. Wire, The Unforgettable Fire, Exit to name three of them. The problem is, bands often rehearse many songs but sometimes they use them for just warm ups before they get going on the songs that they are actually there to rehearse.

Whether this is your first time seeing the band live or not, whatever set you get, it'll be a great show.

Back in Vancouver after 2 nights in Seattle.

I think it's easy to say that Sea2 will rival Pho2 for best show thus far. The first night was kinda so-so in comparison.

My interpretation for VertigoX2 was they wanted to end this rocking show on a high note rather than the somber yahweh/40. Also, there is a first album theme on this tour and they use to repeat songs in 1981 shows because they only knew 12 songs - last night harkened back to that era for first and only time in 23 YEARS!!!! It was also one of those nights where anything happens and anybody who says otherwise about the doubled up song WAS NOT in the audience.

U2 were not filming this gig more than the usual 4-5 cam mix used for the screens. And besides, how could they mix footage of 4 sweaty guys wearing different clothes then when they stepped onstage?

The only differences I noticed in the second Vertigo was a new German count-in and a GABBA-GABBA-HEY(ramones) tag ending. Watch these two additions pop up at future shows.

Also I clocked this show at just over 2hr10m with them breaking curfew. The first night was just over 2hrs. This is an improvement over the earlier sets that were just over 1:45 in length.

Seattle had the following celebrity spottings: Eddie Vedder, Peter Buck(REM), Bill Gates and Paul Allen(Gates former business partner)

U2FP

hahahaha, this is awesome. sure i'd be like wtf if i were there... for about 3 seconds, then i'd be jumping up and down loving it anyway. it's U2 comeon! they used to play 11 oclock tick tock twice.

awesome and awesome annnnnnnnd random, and i love it.

Well they knew more songs back then than they say, I mean A Day without me wasn't played that often until 1981, Shadows And tall trees & Another Day wasn't even played on the Boy tour. I guess they just wanted to promote the 11 O'clock single more by playing it twice.

haha of course they did. but still it was a rocking tune, and it's probably for that good morning america thing. but either way, it's an idiosyncracy that really isn't horrible. they could have done something much much worse.

If they're doing songs for tv, they should do it on their own time, not people who paid $180. See Vertigo 2X? Drop 40? What a load of shit.

scottyT said:
hahahaha, this is awesome. sure i'd be like wtf if i were there... for about 3 seconds, then i'd be jumping up and down loving it anyway. it's U2 comeon! they used to play 11 oclock tick tock twice.

awesome and awesome annnnnnnnd random, and i love it.

That was when tix were $8. To pay $175, or $95, or $50 and see them do a TV promo at the expense of the concert is complete shit.

MrBrau1 said:
If they're doing songs for tv, they should do it on their own time, not people who paid $180. See Vertigo 2X? Drop 40? What a load of shit.

Who says it was for a TV promo? That makes no sense to me. One reviewer stated that the band was getting ready for 40 and then Bono changed his mind.
Stop making accusations if you don't know the facts.

That said, I am not a fan of this Vertigox2, if they kicked out 40. A band with such vast catalogue shouldn't do this. It would everything be cool if 40 was played. In this case, my reactions are mixed.

Back
Top Bottom