Saitama IIi Setlist Watch and Party, Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
The third and final show in Saitama has just finished. Only one show to go now, Honolulu!

Here's the Saitama set as we have it currently. In A Little While may have been played in full rather than snippeted. We await confirmation. I am currently erring on the side of caution. I would also assume that there were more snippets, so if anyone could let us know what else there was, that'd be cool!

Source: http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/show1505.html

1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo / She Loves You (snippet)
3. Elevation
4. Out Of Control
5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / In A Little While (snippet)
6. Beautiful Day
7. Angel Of Harlem
8. The First Time
9. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
10. Bad / Ruby Tuesday (snippet)
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. Bullet The Blue Sky / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet) / The Hands That Built America (snippet)
13. Miss Sarajevo
14. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
15. Where The Streets Have No Name
16. One

encore(s):
17. The Fly
18. Mysterious Ways
19. With Or Without You
20. The Saints Are Coming
21. Window In The Skies
22. Vertigo

Carried over from the other thread ...

RavenBlue said:
Likewise. Do you like Green Carnation? Light of Day, Day of Darkness is one of the great masterpieces of our time IMHO

I haven't fully explored Green Carnation's catalogue, but Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness is pure genius, plain and simple. It impresses me immensely. You aren't a fan of Opeth or Anathema by any chance, are you?

You would say that ;)

Not sure how I'd feel about that if I was there... I'd probably want a different song, but it would end the show with a hell of a bang (unlike Kite).
Then again, said bang might have more impact if they hadn't played it once already. :shrug:

RavenBlue said:
Do they play Vertigo differently the second time around?

The best you can hope for is a different snippet, really.

You know, I almost predicted they would close with Vertigo, because the Japanese are really into brand names and Vertigo is a brand name. Only for that reason, not for any musical sensibility.

Have a great week, everybody, and see you online in Honolulu if not before! Raven, stay warm, Axver, keep head-banging :)

Oddly enough I've never really gotten into Opeth. I'd heard a track or two of Anathema. I do love that Iron Maiden cover that Opeth did. Title name slips my mind at the moment.

Lately I've been gravitating towards Katatonia.

Alisaura said:
You would say that ;)

Not sure how I'd feel about that if I was there... I'd probably want a different song, but it would end the show with a hell of a bang (unlike Kite).
Then again, said bang might have more impact if they hadn't played it once already. :shrug:

I saw Vertigo x2 close in Boston. It was easily the worst closer I've ever heard any band use, and that's not because I went in expecting to hate it. They'd only just started playing Vertigo x2 at that stage and I went in thinking "if they do it, judge it on its merits" ... and it didn't move me either positively or negatively. It was a bland way to end a great show.

So to summary my gains and losses by only going to the first Japan show:

I missed OOC and the First Time.

But gained One Tree Hill and Walk On.

Those should be the only differences in the shows right?

RavenBlue said:
Do they play Vertigo differently the second time around?

I think the second Vertigo is usually more energetic, ie the Brooklyn bridge show. Possibly a different snippet.

So - any guesses on Hawaii closer?
Will it be 40, Vertigo, One tree hill or Kite?

silvrlvr said:
You know, I almost predicted they would close with Vertigo, because the Japanese are really into brand names and Vertigo is a brand name. Only for that reason, not for any musical sensibility.

I agree. The Japanese like their tackiness, for lack of a better word. If anyone was going to tolerate Vertigo X2 more than anyone else it would be them.

They also like their ingenuity and efficiency... but I don't think that extends to setlists. :wink:

Axver said:

I saw Vertigo x2 close in Boston. It was easily the worst closer I've ever heard any band use, and that's not because I went in expecting to hate it. They'd only just started playing Vertigo x2 at that stage and I went in thinking "if they do it, judge it on its merits" ... and it didn't move me either positively or negatively. It was a bland way to end a great show.

Yeah, that's how I feel about it.

RavenBlue said:
Oddly enough I've never really gotten into Opeth. I'd heard a track or two of Anathema. I do love that Iron Maiden cover that Opeth did. Title name slips my mind at the moment.

Lately I've been gravitating towards Katatonia.

Mikael Akerfeldt was the vocalist who first got me into death growls. I tend to gravitate towards the album Still Life, and the songs The Apostle In Triumph and Bleak, the latter being with Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson, my musical idol. And I'm actually just starting to get into Katatonia! They're pretty good too.

Anathema's one of my favourite bands. Judgement is in my top five albums ever, though by that stage, Anathema had largely stopped being metal. Their earlier stuff is the place to go if you want good doom death.

If you want to talk music further off Interference, that'd be cool; you can drop me a line at amakaxver[at]gmail.com if you'd like.

Vertigo as a closer seems like the sort of idea that sounds good in theory, but I don't think it would actually work that well in practice.

I think I'll keep my One Tree Hill closer and go to bed happy!

maycocksean said:
So to summary my gains and losses by only going to the first Japan show:

I missed OOC and the First Time.

But gained One Tree Hill and Walk On.

Those should be the only differences in the shows right?

You also missed out on Desire, UTEOTW, and NYD, I believe.

I'd take One Tree Hill over anything. :drool:

it worked amazingly in London and Cardiff where i saw the shows both times it brought the house down! and both times 80,000 people left the stadium singing vertigo all the way down the streets!

Yeah, I gotta hit the hay as well.

Thanks for a great evening all! I'll definitely check in on the Hawaii setlist party even if it's already over by the time I can get on the computer.

Take care! :wave:

andyuk said:
it worked amazingly in London and Cardiff where i saw the shows both times it brought the house down! and both times 80,000 people left the stadium singing vertigo all the way down the streets!

:up:

This Time! :wave:

andyuk:
yes, I liked Vertigo x 2 when I had it in Boston, because it was spontaneous. we got it again in Cardiff, and since those shows started in daylight, the lights for Vertigo 2 where amazing, and it did bring the house down.

Going back working on my thesis. See you all at the Hawaii setlist party and for the people who are really going, have fun!!!!

Axver said:

You also missed out on Desire, UTEOTW, and NYD, I believe.

I'd take One Tree Hill over anything. :drool:

Aii, don't rub it in. Truth be told I'd have been happy just to see Saitama II (and it would have fit better with my schedule since I still wouldn't have missed any more work) in addition to Saitama 1.

Interesting there would be such a u2-metal overlap. I mean, I know it's not huge, we're talking a small percentage of the forum, but still - obviously some people here are big fans of both. Interesting dynamic. I wonder if it has something to do with the element of theatricality (I don't mean that pejoratively) and emotional intensity...

I'm not a metal-head by any means, but I certainly love some of it.
Does Tool count as metal? I love Lateralus, but their earlier albums are a bit much for me. And I haven't got the latest one.

Controversial view on Vx2. My experience in the European shows is entirely positive...listen to the end of Barcelona for example. But (generalising) the more vocal crowds of Europe want higher tempo and crowd interactive songs. Dare I say that the lamer crowds don't 'get it' Perhaps U2 were as surprised as I am with the Jap crowd and decided to change it for this show.

Also it's a link to starting the the (promo) tour and playing Vertigo twice, and ending it now with the same song. The end is the beginning.

I think it worked on the shows I heard :shrug: even if it may look bad on paper.

Back
Top Bottom